• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega's Saturn PS2 Pad - useless so far. WTF?

Baron

I bought a pair of Sega's Saturn replica 6-button PS2 pads a while ago, and only recently bought a PS2 to try them out on. I figured they would be great for older classic game compilations and for fighters and 2D arcade games and their ilk. However, I've struck out so far with what I've tried them with.

Here's the pad I bought.

vpad.jpg

For starters, I bought the USA NTSC release of Sega's Classics Collection, which has ten or so of the Sega Ages remakes. I figured since this was the collection that inspired the pad, it was certain to be a good fit. Well, start the game up with the Saturn Pad hooked up and you'll find that the main menu glitches out all to hell and prevents you from selecting any game at all. Unplug the Saturn pad and plug in a Dual Shock 2 and the problem corrects itself immediately. WTF?

Strike two - the PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Collection won't even recognize the Saturn Pad as a valid controller and stops the game entirely when it is plugged in, demanding that a Dual Shock pad be plugged into the system in order to continue. Again, wtf?

I plan on picking up Street Fighter Anniversary and Anthology to give these pads some reason to keep them - should I not even bother? Does anyone know if those titles work with the pad? Since the Mega Man compilation won't even recognize it, I fear the same fate will befall the SF games.

I've only used mine on fighters and it is an absolute gift from fighter heaven. keep in mind that the button lay-out is a little weird and oyu will have to reset your buttons for capcom fighters. can't help you with those glitch problems though.

if you pick up a good deal of 2D fighters to play that with, you will be VERY happy you got those pads. best 2D fighter pads available for PS2

meppi

The problem is that the pad is digital only and certain games are programmed to only accept analogue compatible pads.

I have the same problem with my arcade stick in some games. :(

Baron

Well that's promising. I don't mind having to remap some buttons as long as they will work. It's a shame that the pad won't work with some of these game compilations, though. It seems a perfect fit. Anyone know if the Taito compilation or even the Capcom Classics for PS2 works with the Saturn Pad?

And I am glad I bought them when I did. They now appear to be pretty much sold out everywhere.

Keep in mind that a lot of companies(particularly western ones I've noticed) will require the PS2 dual shock controller in order for the game to be playable. Also a handful of games in the Sega Classics Collection were designed with the DS2 in mind(a handful of minigames in Tant-R use the analog sticks exclusively for example).

Still I prefer my Hori arcade stick for fighters/shooters/???.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
meppi said:
The problem is that the pad is digital only and certain games are programmed to only accept analogue compatible pads.

I have the same problem with my arcade stick in some games. :(
yeah, it's pretty idiotic. but any fighting game you can think of should be fine with them. I have the same compilations so I dunno about the rest.

Baron said:
Well that's promising. I don't mind having to remap some buttons as long as they will work. It's a shame that the pad won't work with some of these game compilations, though. It seems a perfect fit. Anyone know if the Taito compilation or even the Capcom Classics for PS2 works with the Saturn Pad?

And I am glad I bought them when I did. They now appear to be pretty much sold out everywhere.
Taito Legends does not. Damned sloppy work on the part of their programmers, if you ask me. The same goes for Sega Classics Collection. Some of the games in that pack don't have any digital-only support at all, while others do.

I wish I knew if Capcom Classics Collection or the Midway packs supported digital-only control. Most retro packs developed in Japan (like the Sega Ages 2500 series, from Space Harrier II Anniversary Pack onward) will support the Saturn pad and arcade sticks just fine. It doesn't seem to be a priority - or even to register on the radar - when it comes to Western retro-pack development. You should be fine with SFA Anthology, though.

jiji said:
Taito Legends does not. Damned sloppy work on the part of their programmers, if you ask me.

I could have sworn Taito Legends 2 supported other controllers. Unfortunately that's PAL only and I'm too lazy to unhook my X360 to doublecheck on TL2.

Link316

Banned
Namco Museum 50th is another example of sloppy work, it requires a dual shock in the game selection screen

Grifter

jiji said:
I wish I knew if Capcom Classics Collection or the Midway packs supported digital-only control.

I've played both on a cabinet of 360 sticks with no problems. Well, I've only played the Midway pack that had MK2 but the other games on the disc worked.

meppi

The Capcom Classics Collection is fine. No problems there.
So hopefully nr.2 will be the same. :)

The pal Taito Legends 1 does not work with digital only.
Lazy programming indeed.

The pal Taito Legends 2 however does work with sticks and digital pads, as it's the same code as the japanese version, instead of the Legends 1 hackjob.

Baron

Nice to hear that the Capcom Classics works with digital pads, but it's a shame that the Taito compilation doesnt recognize them. Sloppy programming indeed.

While were all here, anyone know if PS2 Capcom vs. SNK 2 works with the Saturn pad?

Grifter

Baron said:
Nice to hear that the Capcom Classics works with digital pads, but it's a shame that the Taito compilation doesnt recognize them. Sloppy programming indeed.

While were all here, anyone know if PS2 Capcom vs. SNK 2 works with the Saturn pad?

If the pad detection is the same as any digital joystick I've connected, then yes.

negitoro7

I bought one of these for Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and to me, it's been really disappointing. Moves don't come out nearly as consistently as with the Ascii Fighter Pad for Dreamcast, still my all-time favorite control pad for fighting games (I have never used a genuine Saturn pad). My thumbs get tired easily using it too, although this might be remedied as I break-in the pad more.

Baron

I found that the ASCII pad for Dreamcast bit into my thumb too much and after a short while became uncomfortable. I usually just wound up hooking a Saturn pad up via an adapter whenever I played a 2D fighter on the Dreamcast. I also didn't like how all the ASCII pad buttons were identical in shape and size - the Saturn pad distinguishes each row by a different button shape, which really works for me. This is why I am happy it's in a PS2 version now.

Baron

meppi said:
Just put it in, no problems here.

Cool, thanks for checking. I used to own that game but sold it off a long while ago. Maybe I'll pick it up again since it seems to work with my favorite pad now.

Baron

Barry Lightning said:
you bought the controllers before the system? that's gangsta

And I spent nearly as much importing 2 control pads as the console itself cost. My gangsta-ness truly knows no boundaries! I've also been told I have the hands of a pianist.

This is the third PS2 I've bought - I sold the last two I owned, so I already had an entire library and accesories for the machine. I just wanted to spend as little as possible on a new PS2. I was holding out on a $99 USD price, but I got sick of waiting. :p

crunker99

you have a bum pad or a bad model ps2, i use my pads, these:

http://www.gamersreports.com/review/14/

ps3pad.jpg

on all the games you said plus more, and i even use them on xbox with a magicbox converter

try returning them to wherever you got them, and get the bland kind

they work FANTASTIC on all SF games on ps2, including the sfa anthology

you need to exchange the pads for the kind i have or a new pstwo, they work fine i assure you

Baron

I don't think the controllers I bought are defective - they work fine, excellently even, with certain games, like Gradius V, Silpheed PS2, and others mentioned here. They just don't work with certain sloppily coded games that don't recognize digital-only control pads.

Top Bottom