• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Link_enfant

2017 still being an awesome year for gamers. This is a long date wish come true for me, I can't wait to preorder this!!
Although I don't think we'll get a western release, but who knows.

Boney

Banned
I'm really confused myself. Three virtual console games for like $45?
It has a nice boxart I guess?

And they sure as hell ain't going to translate SD3 for this. Maybe we'll be able to patch the roms sometime in the future. SoM enhanced would also be nice

aadiboy

Yeah, I can't tell if the high prices are due to milking near launch fever or due to inherently being on the Switch.

Please come out in English, please come out in English, please come out in English!

This isn't gonna come out in English is it? :(

Also I don't think SE care about doubling up on things, they'll release this for full retail price then 3 years from now trickle them out over a year on VC too for the VC price.

I bought Sword of Mana back in the day. I barely played it because I thought it was extremely shallow and boring. Though I have heard that it is pretty much a different game from the original. Can anyone tell me just how different it is and how the original is better?

The only thing that is good about the price is that, if Squenix think the west will wear it, that's a lot of incentive to get the translation done. How much would it actually cost them to translate this into English/Spanish/French/German? Surely there is a business case for getting it done?

See my previous post. Because of the age of SD3, there's a lot more involved than just translating the script. The technical side of modifying the game ROM image to include a non-Japanese script is going to involve a lot of work, either with extremely old dev tools and source code (if they even still have those, and that's a huge if), or straight up inventing their own rom-hacking tools for insertion, and that would be a significant amount of time and manpower investment that Square Enix's executive branch may not see as worthwhile. And then, even if they go the hacking route, they'd have to shepherd SD3 through NoA certification with those roundabout tools, which might be a nightmare on its own.

It's not impossible, I guess... but people need to be aware of the reality and hurdles it's facing.

(Mind you, I'd love to see it happen because what happened to SoM2 was one of the great tragedies of the SNES era for Anglophone fans.)

jonno394

I'm really confused myself. Three virtual console games for like $45?

You're paying extra for the privilege of owning them physically rather than digitally. Wait for VC and all of them will likely be available at some point for cheaper but you pay the premium to get them months/years early etc

See my previous post. Because of the age of SD3, there's a lot more involved than just translating the script. The technical side of modifying the game ROM image to include a non-Japanese script is going to involve a lot of work, either with extremely old dev tools and source code (if they even still have those, and that's a huge if), or straight up inventing their own rom-hacking tools for insertion, and that would be a significant amount of time and manpower investment that Square Enix's executive branch may not see as worthwhile. And then, even if they go the hacking route, they'd have to shepherd SD3 through NoA certification with those roundabout tools, which might be a nightmare on its own.

It's not impossible, I guess... but people need to be aware of the reality and hurdles it's facing.

(Mind you, I'd love to see it happen because what happened to SoM2 was one of the great tragedies of the SNES era for Anglophone fans.)

Why can't they just use IPS patching for the text?

duckroll

Brownie Brown spilt up into 2 companies a few years ago. One is called Brownie (who knows what they make} and the other is 1up Studio which is a Nintendo 1st party dev who is mainly a support studio.

http://7.gungho.jp/

Brownies just released Seventh Rebirth. A big mobile title from Gungho with the FFXI producer and Mitsuda music. The old Mana leads who originally formed Brownie Brown all worked on it. Had a lot of Legend of Mana inspirations.

Skulldead

I dont get it. More celebrating of ports on Switch, but now 20 year old ports that would be on the virtual console if Nintendo wasnt so stingy with it???
I dont get it at all

Same reaction here.... it's not like Secret of mana didn't get a re-release like 3 time in pass year with a better version and Final fantasy adventure got a complete remake on vita and android....

Serious question: Does square can use the fan translation that been made ? Legally can they use it on a Rom and release it. Or the the ''translation'' is own by the fan group that translate it ?

Powerpuff

Both Seiken Densetsu 2 and Seiken Densetsu 3 support multiplayer with up to three players.

Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana could be played up to three players but Seiken Densetsu 3 was two player only. However here is a ROM hack to provide a three player mode like in the previous game.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/179/

I wonder if they have modified the original game of if it is just an error from the news.

Murdamonk

I am regretting more and more about my Switch cancellation... :(

Can't wait for it to be back in stock so I can buy it.

This game... Day 1.

DKHF

Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana could be played up to three players but Seiken Densetsu 3 was two player only. However here is a ROM hack to provide a three player mode like in the previous game.

I wonder if they have modified the original game of if it is just an error from the news.
They have modified the original game in some ways (adding quick save and the other two features in the OP) so I don't think that's an error.

Jucksalbe

Banned
They have modified the original game in some ways (adding quick save and the other two features in the OP) so I don't think that's an error.

None of those features need a modification of the games. "Quick save" is probably just save states, so it's an emulator feature. Same with screen options.

CTLance

I seriously do not understand why they don't hand some intern an iPhone and send him off into the archives to dig out some dev materials from the Secret of Mana days (even if it's just a few notes / scribbles / sales pitch / flow chart / the old dev kit that maybe once ran the game once). Then, maybe grab the mail boy from back then for an interview or visit the cemetery and film the graves of Hiro Isono, Manabu Daishima and so on.

Anyway. That should cost like thirty bucks for the train tickets and ten for a snack along the way plus whatever the offering (incense sticks?) would require, and it'd add some real meat to the package.

Three ROMs with a paltry menu and some music player for full price is just so ... it sucks away my enthusiasm just typing that.

Unless they released it in the west with a competent SD3 translation. Given the amount of ROM hackery and related work that would have to go into that, it might, just might, justify the price. Maybe. With my fanboy party hat and pink nostalgia glasses on, I could possibly consider it. If I had a switch. Sigh. Hen, meet egg.

Unison

Is the included version of the first game the new Vita/iOS game?

The topic makes this confusing, by calling it a rom.

Powerpuff

The quick save feature could be an emulation save state while the ROMs remain untouched. But I hope you are right and they do some extra jobs on the games themselves.

The website said it, so I think SQEX has modified the original game.

Edit: Wait, the site didn't specifically said SD3 supports 3 players. Don't get your hopes up.

tbm24

Yep definitely going to find a way to pick up a switch next month. One of my favorite series, can go through mana and 3 from memory. Already have the boss themes playing in my head!

I would honestly love to see Final Fantasy 1-6 in a unaltered rom collection bundle similar to this treatment. But SoM needed this love a lot.

Would be worth the retail price if it came over with a full English translation of SD3 for sure in my opinion.

Secret of Mana is still amazingly playable.

DKHF

The quick save feature could be an emulation save state while the ROMs remain untouched. But I hope you are right and they do some extra jobs on the games themselves.
I guess, anyway as said above me the statement about 3 players is on the official website so I doubt it's a mistake.

Is the included version of the first game the new Vita/iOS game?

The topic makes this confusing, by calling it a rom.

I assume so, based on the artwork.

Also, as others have said, sucks this will never come to the US. I would pay full retail for a physical release of Three officially in English.

edit: just watched the trailer, it is the gameboy original. Weird.

SUPARSTARX

SNES port or mobile port of SD2? Didn't they make it a lot prettier on mobile? I feel like they should've added a mode for that on here.

Somnid

It's amazing how we've regressed from the heyday of VC back to stupid siloed collections. See you in 4 years on VC...

Why can't they just use IPS patching for the text?

Because IPS patching is a ton of work.

You need to find every single string in the ROM (which is where a lot of the work comes in), make sure you're modifying the string correctly, not fucking up the pointers, make sure the strings fit the textbox, make sure that this brute-force insertion doesn't break anything else (and unlike other insertion methods, this is far less of a sure thing) and then you need to bug-test it, and if something goes wrong, repeat steps two through four.

People massively under-estimate just how much work the fan patches of these big SNES-era RPGs represent; it's kind of a miracle they happened at all.

I bought Sword of Mana back in the day. I barely played it because I thought it was extremely shallow and boring. Though I have heard that it is pretty much a different game from the original. Can anyone tell me just how different it is and how the original is better?

Final Fantasy Adventure/Adventure Of Mana is one of my favorite games ever

Sword of Mana was one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life

Sword of Mana takes a very basic plot and stretches it out with tons of filler and excess dialogue, the game adds a ton of pointless sub systems which over complicates the game, the game removes a lot of the zelda esque dungeon elements and replaces them with boring rpg dungeons.

CTLance

Final Fantasy Adventure/Adventure Of Mana is one of my favorite games ever

Sword of Mana was one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life

Sword of Mana takes a very basic plot and stretches it out with tons of filler and excess dialogue, the game adds a ton of pointless sub systems which over complicates the game, the game removes a lot of the zelda esque dungeon elements and replaces them with boring rpg dungeons.
I think we can be friends.

I was so, so disappointed in the game when it released.

I mean, it's an OK game on its own if you can see past the superfluous crap, but as a reimagination of the first game in the Mana series it was a painful punch to the gut.

If they bring this to the US it would be my most wanted Switch game, above Mario and Xenoblade and I don't own a Switch yet. I would also be ok if it somehow showed up on a SNES mini! ( is it ok to port beg to a hypothetical console that is made by the same manufacturer? 😜 )

AniHawk

i'm okay with rom dumps as games if it means:

1. we actually get previously unreleased games over here
2. it's going to be collections of things and not just one game at a time

so this would be appealing to me. i have a cart of secret of mana for the snes, but i never played the first game and obviously not the third in the series. others i'd be down to see in this format are the mother trilogy and the soul blazer trilogy.

the switch also seems to be building a pretty nostalgia-based library right off the bat. nintendo stuff aside there's sonic doing super well so far in terms of awareness, bomberman off to a great start for a long-dormant series, and ultra street fighter ii on the way, which seems to be preordering pretty well for what it is on amazon.

tebunker

Banned
And of course they will never localize this :(

My heart is breaking over the fact it wont come stateside, especially with that box art. I may just order it anyway in case some how there is english hidden in there since some of those games had translations

Top Bottom