• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
An english release is slightly more likely than a Theatrical Blu-ray release of Star Wars OT

Switch is getting a crazy good library very quickly.
Everything's coming up Milhouse

I don't know the perspective of Mana fans, but if by chance this does get localized, in my opinion, I'd pay for the $50 price tag. To wait years for a localization, but not pay because its too expensive just feels kind of greedy and weird.

I've been waiting for a MOTHER 3 localization for 10 years, and I'd pay $50 dollars if we get a localized version of the game on the Switch, even if it is not bundled with Earthbound and Earthbound Zero.

You're use of greedy is odd.

I don't know the perspective of Mana fans, but if by chance this does get localized, in my opinion, I'd pay for the $50 price tag. To wait years for a localization, but not pay because its too expensive just feels kind of greedy and weird.

I've been waiting for a MOTHER 3 localization for 10 years, and I'd pay $50 dollars if we get a localized version of the game on the Switch, even if it is not bundled with Earthbound and Earthbound Zero.

If Nintendo releases an Earthbound compilation they better call it Motherlode

An english release is slightly more likely than a Theatrical Blu-ray release of Star Wars OT

I guess the more accurate term is cheap if you want a more clear answer. :p

So yeah, that's just my opinion.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
I've never played any of these but would definitely pick them up for the Switch if the came to the west. The portability aspect of the switch really appeals to me and the more games the better.

Pinky

Banned
What an announcement! And that box art! :O

I pray for a western/english release, but I doubt it will happen. :(

I can only think of Mario All-Stars, which was sort of a special case.
Dragon Quest 25th anniversary, Mario 25th anniversary, Kirby 20th anniversary, now Seiken "25th" anniversary. Mega Man not-a-particular-anniversary.
It'll be announced alongside Mother 3 at e3.
Truly, when we saw the SD3 footage the other day my unlikeliest of hopes was that VC might be announced with not only localized Mother 3 but Seiken 3.
Jazzy Geoff said:
Why can't they just use IPS patching for the text?
That's just a method for changing one file into another, not for developing the alterations to begin with.
What did he mean by this? said:
I dont get it. More celebrating of ports on Switch, but now 20 year old ports that would be on the virtual console if Nintendo wasnt so stingy with it???
I dont get it at all
I mean, it's not like it's not going to be available on the eShop. That S-E wants to charge 3 arms and a leg for it isn't Nintendo's stinginess.

Beyond the price: it's cool because these are some well-loved games that will be cool to have in good portable/multiplayer form. They could've as well done it on DS, but better late than never.
Skulldead said:
Serious question: Does square can use the fan translation that been made ? Legally can they use it on a Rom and release it. Or the the ''translation'' is own by the fan group that translate it ?
S-E would be just as legally in the wrong to use it without authorization as the goons who produce English SD3 carts are to sell those without authorization.
Unison said:
Is the included version of the first game the new Vita/iOS game?

The topic makes this confusing, by calling it a rom.
It's the Game Boy original, not the remake or the other remake or the other remake.
SUPARSTARX said:
SNES port or mobile port of SD2? Didn't they make it a lot prettier on mobile? I feel like they should've added a mode for that on here.
I remember when it was announced and there were comparisons, but it basically looked like some slight modifications to player sprites. Otherwise it seems to look like the SNES one with blur and touch buttons on top.
Shifty1897 said:
Wait... is it the original game boy rom for Seiken Densetsu 1? Why not the Vita/Mobile Port?
It's an anniversary collection. To have a port of a rereremake + emulation of its old sequels instead of just all three being matchingly old and including the game it's actually the 25th anniversary of would be weird.

But yeah, I'd like to see the latest version on Switch too.

TLZ

Banned
If nothing else, first reprint Seiken Densetsu 3 has gotten since 1995. Either you bought it used for the SNES since then or were forced to pirate it.

It looks like it might only be in Japanese, but... well, even while tempering your expectations, see the top left of this website.

It's just that I've never played nor heard of it.

Would be nice in English if possible.

jnWake

I'd even be happy if this got released internationally with the english version of Secret of Mana and the other 2 in japanese.

Sadly, I doubt anything will get released here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Your use of you're is odd (Sorry, I couldn't resist, it's not easy being a dog on the internet, I get that)

You are literally in a thread about Square Enix publishing the game on a cartridge.

Well, tbf, they are only publishing it in Japanese, I don't suppose anyone is going to choose to spend $40 on a fan-hacked SNES cart if they can get this for about the same money in their own language. That site only sells hacked games or games that are impossible to find through normal channels IIRC but I take the point that that probably is still naughty.

mieumieu

S-E would be just as legally in the wrong to use it without authorization as the goons who produce English SD3 carts are to sell those without authorization.

I am not sure about that. Bethesda used a Chinese fan translation without authorization for its Skyrim release back then on PS3 and nothing happened since then.

Celine

You've never heard of Secret of Mana ?
The last semi relevant* new Mana game was Sword of Mana on GBA (2003) so if he is young it's not really that surprising not knwoing the Mana series.

* Dawn of Mana and the rest of Mana spinoff on DS were dissapointing.

This will be nice to get if SD 3 release in English, I'll pay the full price they are asking for.
Worthy getting a Switch if it's confirmed in the future

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm against piracy. I feel that supporting developers is what we should always do. If out right sucks we don't get to experience these types of games in English and when we do it's years and years later.

Bahamut Lagoon
SMTII
Secret of Mana 2
Treasure of the Rudras

All 4 SNES games that are sure to be on any JRPG fan's wishlist were never in English. What we get is sometimes whatever some board (possibly, not sure who decides) selects.

Looking at the VC now it's got a great selection of games, but fans of particular series want what was good for that series.

I played 3/4 of the way through SoM2 in English and it was amazing. I still have to finish it. The colors and the world are great. The tropical/forests/cold environments are wonderful to look at. It's a very enjoyable game.

I wish they'd just get these taken care of for those outside Japan before trying to just throw whatever they can into their VC. Not saying the games on the VC suck, but adding these would be awesome. It would probably reduce piracy if anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
Was Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 ever translated to english? Officially i mean, even at a prototype level, like a Mother/Earthbound situation.

Anyway, really cool that they make a physical version of this! :)

Effect

Gotta hope there is somehow translations included in this since Square Enix would have them. At least for Mystic Quest and Secret of Mana. Even if nothing of Seiken Densetsu 3 was localized I'd still import the collection from the eShop.

Robin64

If they want to bring this west, but don't want to localise SD3, then just leave that in Japanese and shove Evermore on there too. Boom. Three English games and a bonus Japanese game.

Was Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 ever translated to english? Officially i mean, even at a prototype level, like a Mother/Earthbound situation.

2 was, that was Secret of Mana.

As far as I know, they didn't even consider translating 3.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If they want to bring this west, but don't want to localise SD3, then just leave that in Japanese and shove Evermore on there too. Boom. Three English games and a bonus Japanese game.

2 was, that was Secret of Mana.

As far as I know, they didn't even consider translating 3.
Not sure about the localization bit, I remember reading in egm a long time ago that they were considering it but it just never happened for some reason.

atbigelow

Yes they cancelled the whole Virtual Console program one month after announcing it solely because Square wanted to release this.

Nevermind all the Neo Geo games that are available that are not under the VC moniker. That's what I'm getting at: all the retro releases so far have no hint at a VC service.

Robin64

Super Play covered this game back in the day, calling it Secret of Mana 2 and they dedicated the cover art (by Wil Overton as always) to it. Must've pored over the article inside for so long, wanting this.

NBdtDgA.jpg

Oh ok, so the first Seiken Densetsu game is the one for Gameboy, and the 2nd one is Secret of Mana? So its only 3 that hasnt been translated officially?

Yep. :)

LordKano

Nevermind all the Neo Geo games that are available that are not under the VC moniker. That's what I'm getting at: all the retro releases so far have no hint at a VC service.

There's no need for a hint : they officially announced that Virtual Console is coming later this year.

Not sure about the localization bit, I remember reading in egm a long time ago that they were considering it but it just never happened for some reason.
I forget if it was Seiken Densetsu 3 or Final Fantasy 5, but one of those was originally going to be localized, but Square's US studio wanted to make their own game instead of translating another Japanese game, so instead they made Secret of Evermore.

Nairume

Banned
I forget if it was Seiken Densetsu 3 or Final Fantasy 5, but one of those was originally going to be localized, but Square's US studio wanted to make their own game instead of translating another Japanese game, so instead they made Secret of Evermore.
Both were intended.

Evermore was never a "you get this instead of that" situation. It was always another attempt to help build up a players for their games in the west for games like SD3 and FF5.

Top Bottom