• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sen no Kiseki III Confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive title

Dio

Banned
Give it a few months and we will. It's Aksys.
I still don't know what Aksys is doing with this instead of XSEED. Are they going to keep the terminology consistent with XSEED's other translations and localizations, since even a Cold Steel character (Towa) appears in it and there are references to Trails and other things in it?

flohen95

Nah, I see where you're coming from, but my perspective is coming from Falcom's troubled and frustrated development trying to fit their current 3D game production workflow onto PS3/Vita and barely making 25-30fps most of the time.

You must have noticed how crappy Cold Steel I and II's framerate got sometimes, being completely unacceptable at certain times. PS4 gives them room to breathe.

Certainly. The school festival chapter in CS1 basically runs in slow motion all the way through. It's just that for me, personally, these negatives are easily outweighed by the positives of the game being on a handheld system - speaking as someone who moves between two apartments almost constantly and who just prefers being able to play (pretty much) wherever and whenever.

But again, I certainly see where people like you are coming from, and I realize that I'm in the minority (at least I hope, as I want Falcom to succeed).

I still don't know what Aksys is doing with this instead of XSEED. Are they going to keep the terminology consistent with XSEED's other translations and localizations, since even a Cold Steel character (Towa) appears in it and there are references to Trails and other things in it?

I really need to know if we're getting Towa's CS voice for this. I need it

Assuming this is dubbed of course

Saphirax

I still don't know what Aksys is doing with this instead of XSEED. Are they going to keep the terminology consistent with XSEED's other translations and localizations, since even a Cold Steel character (Towa) appears in it?

Well there's not much to keep seeing how, aside from Towa, TX is a different game. XSEED probably had enough on their plate to pass over TX. Which is a shame because they ended up with the short end of the stick (Akiba Beat).

Dio

Banned
Certainly. The school festival chapter in CS1 basically runs in slow motion all the way through. It's just that for me, personally, these negatives are easily outweighed by the positives of the game being on a handheld system - speaking as someone who moves between two apartments almost constantly and who just prefers being able to play (pretty much) wherever and whenever.

But again, I certainly see where people like you are coming from, and I realize that I'm in the minority (at least I hope, as I want Falcom to succeed).

I understand you more than you think. I much prefer playing Disgaea on Vita instead so when it turned out the Vita was too weak to run Disgaea 5 I was disappointed.

I still platinumed D5 because it was an amazing game, but I had to dedicate a different schedule to it. When I played D4 I could play it in short 10 minute bursts on the train and stuff like that. I did play both Cold Steel games on Vita as well since I don't have my PS3 here.

That being said, I'm in a situation now where I can afford to do both, so I guess I hope you figure something out and get a chance to sit down and play it.

Well there's not much to keep seeing how, aside from Towa, TX is a different game. XSEED probably had enough on their plate to pass over TX. Which is a shame because they ended up with the short end of the stick (Akiba Beat).

Yeah, but Chuuni Rean and Magical Girl Alisa even appear in TX as side things for minigames and stuff.

These costumes:

2QahMdR.jpg

The festival in CS1 on Vita is the only time I can remember a framerate ever making me nauseous. Shouldn't have shipped like that tbh

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I'm actually hoping they do really well with it considering they're proof that if the resources are there Falcom will allow a PC port to be licensed and released along with the other versions. I'm really curious to see how it does, especially being announced with the localization and not just as a late port with a stealth release. Hopefully it's not too niche of an audience in the west.

Yeah, that was my take. It's better for Falcom's bottom line to get as much of their Good Stuff outside of Japan and into hands as possible and Trails and Ys are "XSEED's" as it were.

The Akiba games will sell much better for them than TX, they're probably not regretting it.

Saphirax

The Akiba games will sell much better for them than TX, they're probably not regretting it.

I don't think AB will sell better than TX. Not only is AB XSEED's biggest VA expenditure so far, the game is also a low budget mess. At least the previous game had some sort of appeal.

I feel the same but Xseed already has too much on their plate. They're working on The 3rd and probably Ys 8(on top of a million non falcom releases lol) which I think are waaaaaaaay more important to keep inhouse and consistent than Tokyo Xanadu.

I was trying to remember the locations in CS1 where the other party went, as based on Kondo's comments it seemed liked a bit of a checklist for CS3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was:

1) Parm - the spinning town
2) Saint-Arkh - the old capital
3) Bryonia/Brittania Island
4) Heimdallr
5) Jurai
6) Ordis

I doubt we'd get Jurai, maybe a return trip to Heimdallr, but the other four look promising.

IvorB

I'd personally much rather have the visuals from the first two games if it meant being able to play it on a handheld.
I'm just not sure if I'm ever going to be able to play through CS3 going by my console RPG track record. Console RPGs don't suit me/my life, if that makes sense.

I don't want to be to bitter, though, and I certainly understand people being excited about this being developed with PS4 as the base platform.

Yeah Cold Steel 1 is just the perfect game for me on a handheld so it's a shame. The third game would have kept my Vita in business for many moons to come. Oh well.

Eylos

Banned
Yeah Cold Steel 1 is just the perfect game for me on a handheld so it's a shame. The third game would have kept my Vita in business for many moons to come. Oh well.
There's the fan zero no kiseki translation that we can play next year on the vita

I honestly hope this was the right decision to make the game exclusive to PS4. I mean I don't know if it will do well sales wise on PS4 compared to the Vita.

It will be sad if this game ends up doing bad because they dropped the Vita and made it a PS4 exclusive.

If the game is well-received and is considered by fans of the franchise to be an entry worth picking up...

Even if sales of the game drop in Japan, it'll definitely pick up/grow in greater China region, Korea and rest of the world.

Soran

I understand people who get upset over the lack of Vita version since it's very comfortable to play those long games in bed but I cleary remember how much the game lagged during the school festival and I feel better. The poor graphic quality of the the PS3 version is mostly fault of having to make the game run on the Vita too and I don't want Falcom to hold back.

Also I hope draw portraits come back.

I really don't see where this porting CS1 and 2 mindset comes in. Why would they need to do that? It isn't like it was on Xbox or anything. It was on a Sony console that many of us still have and probably a similar number have the successor of.

I really don't see where this porting CS1 and 2 mindset comes in. Why would they need to do that? It isn't like it was on Xbox or anything. It was on a Sony console that many of us still have and probably a similar number have the successor of.

It came out very late in the life of the PS3 and no one has a Vita

You overestimate how many people in the west have played this. A PS4 port would help immensely. I assume a lot of people would like to replay it too in a way that isn't technically garbage

C0VqbgsUsAUNgYa.jpg

Clearer image of key-art for CS3 shows that Altina is wearing the same uniform as Blusis, Tonfan and Greeny.

So maybe they aren't students? Unless Altina decides her new cover is being part of the crew.

Some Nobody

You overestimate how many people in the west have played this. A PS4 port would help immensely. I assume a lot of people would like to replay it too in a way that isn't technically garbage

I'm not sure what the sales necessary to justify a port would be, but I have this really strong feeling that CS1 and CS2 could easily pull it off. Especially if you combined them onto one disc, made some slight improvements and sold it for $60.

Jiraiza

C0VqbgsUsAUNgYa.jpg

Clearer image of key-art for CS3 shows that Altina is wearing the same uniform as Blusis, Tonfan and Greeny.

So maybe they aren't students? Unless Altina decides her new cover is being part of the crew.

The one thing that bothers me the most about adding new girls is that they're likely just going to be potential romance targets for the protagonist instead of being new characters that can establish a rapport with another character that isn't said protagonist. Definitely wouldn't mind being proven wrong here, though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The one thing that bothers me the most about adding new girls is that they're likely just going to be potential romance targets for the protagonist instead of being new characters that can establish a rapport with another character that isn't said protagonist. Definitely wouldn't mind being proven wrong here, though.
I hope Altina is used to further the plotline
involving the factories, what the Ironbloods/Osborne have been up to, and what the deal with Millium/Altina is

I really hope they take a different direction with Rean altogether. If anything, I actually want Blusis or Tonfan to replace him as the main lead.

Yeah, I think the first two games need the PS4 treatment, but the question is how?

Others have mentioned that going PS4-only is indeed a necessary trade-off to bring the series into the sort of production values more casual RPG fans have come to expect from stuff like modern Tales (Zestiria gets character models and animation right for all-important narrative sequences), Persona 5 and so on.

But Trails of Cold Steel III isn't necessarily the best place to start if it's going to be the third entry to a series that's tied to two other series (that's over five games of connections), so even if Falcom absolutely nails the presentation of this game, its success isn't necessarily guaranteed.

And while XSEED does a great job on bringing the games to the west, if Falcom's plan is to think bigger with their tentpole series and bring them to wider markets, including those in Europe like France, I wonder if a bigger publisher's help would be required, or an effort and spend similar to a bigger publisher.

I'm thinking an effort in-line with what Namco has done with Tales over the last generation, and games like Ni No Kuni.

Tales was never big among casual RPG fans, but now it pretty much appeals to an audience who'll buy the games because of their artwork or characters alone, or reasons more invested RPG players don't value so highly. But Namco put a big effort in to get the games out there, to get them featured on stage at comic conventions and the like, all to the point where they can even justify making an official Tales of Blog for the west. There isn't even a Nintendo blog outside of Japan yet...

Thing is, Namco could easily build up momentum with Tales because they had a glut of games to release every year thanks to the time lag between Japan and North America. It's similar to how Nintendo published the Layton games for Level-5 in the west - if I remember correctly Japan was about two games ahead. XSEED or any other publisher like Namco wouldn't have that sort of luxury to build up momentum beyond Trails of Cold Steel III.

Here's the thing regarding Trails CS I/II for PS4.

Japan doesn't need it. The first two games are on PS3/Vita, and fans of the franchise who wants to play the 3rd game will likely have already owned a PS3/Vita in some capacity.

English speaking markets will be better served with the PS4 treatment of CSI & II, but unless things have changed in terms of how fast it'll take to localise a Trails game, there is no need for a PS4 SKU for CSI & II to happen now.

I could see a scenario where Trails of Cold Steel I&II PS4 version set for a 2018 release, both in Japanese/English. And then Cold Steel 3 can release in English in 2019.

Of course, it would be great if Trails of Cold Steel 3 didn't take 2 years to localise, but it's been that long for CSI&II and we've no indication yet that Falcom is allowing XSEED to expedite localisation before the game is out.

StereoVsn

Well, that's two games I am skipping, Akiba Beat and Xanadu Vita. I would get the enhanced PS4 edition of the latter though.

arigato

Well, that's two games I am skipping, Akiba Beat and Xanadu Vita. I would get the enhanced PS4 edition of the latter though.
Yeah, the PS4 enhanced edition of Xanadu is truly worth getting. I remember watching a stream of that version not that long ago. Made me miss the times when 60 FPS used to be so commonplace. Gameplay looked really good, and definitely had that jamming soundtrack to pair along with.

Ryan95

Considering Ys Origin is coming to PS4 and Vita next year, couldn't a DotEmu PS4 port of CSI/II be a possibility?

Considering Ys Origin is coming to PS4 and Vita next year, couldn't a DotEmu PS4 port of CSI/II be a possibility?

DotEmu's port of games, afaik, are fundamentally based on emulation of the original code which they then make tweaks/polish/additional features.

There's no PS3/PSV emulator for CSI/II to be emulated from first.

duckroll

Nope, I doubt that's a possibility at all. DotEmu ports old games which run very well on ancient hardware onto modern platforms. They're probably poorly equipped to handle a Vita/PS3 port to PS4 which would require optimizations and such, given how they struggle to run on the Vita and PS3 to begin with.

There's no reason why they would be involved anyway. Falcom would do the PS4 ports themselves, given how they are most familiar with doing Vita to PS4 updates of their own games in recent years.

Fisico

Nope, I doubt that's a possibility at all. DotEmu ports old games which run very well on ancient hardware onto modern platforms. They're probably poorly equipped to handle a Vita/PS3 port to PS4 which would require optimizations and such, given how they struggle to run on the Vita and PS3 to begin with.

There's no reason why they would be involved anyway. Falcom would do the PS4 ports themselves, given how they are most familiar with doing Vita to PS4 updates of their own games in recent years.

Dotemu programming work is mostly done by one or two people.

Top Bottom