• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senior Squid Artist Quit, NOA to Hold Splatoon Art Contest!

So in this thread, people who don't get the joke about the Senior Squid Artist quitting and people who are getting too excited in front of schoolgirl outfits? Awesome lol

> Senior Squid artist quitting is to make context around the contest.
> Schoolgirl outfits are in every school in Japan so if you can't control your emotions then you may be the one who have a problem
(please don't walk near schools)

Puruzi

Banned
Righhhttt. If you look at her pose it's pretty damn obvious it's supposed to be sexy. Which is even more disturbing if you are right, 16 year old girl and all.

You thinking that that image is supposed to be sexy is what's actually disturbing. There is literally nothing sexualized about that image at all.

Splatoon Tumblr update about the contest:

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/1...arians-look-all-emo-with-their-swooping#notes

tumblr_nnucw5VkSn1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

"Those Octarians look all emo with their swooping head tentacles. But darn if they don’t make fascinating artistic subjects. I mean, we’re still gonna splatter their octo-hides with ink.

What part of Splatoon do you think makes for a compelling piece of artwork? Create something, post it to Tumblr with #Splatoon, #GetInked and #NintendoContestEntry and you might win some prizes."

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Must be a legal resident of US (incl. DC) or Canada (excl. Quebec) 18+. Deadline: 5/29/15. 1 Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) Wii U system and one (1) Splatoon video game (ARV $359.98). 5 First Prize winners each receive one (1) Splatoon video game (ARV $59.99 each). Additional terms and conditions apply. Click here for official rules: http://Ninten.do/6139A9PF Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.

We need more octopus artwork.

TheJoRu

Why is there so much fanart for a game that hasn't come out yet

Because a lot of people became fans of the character designs after it was first showed off and was inspired to create art out of them. Why would the game have to come out first for that to happen?

But from what I've gathered they have no age.

Actually. They somewhat have an age. It's mentioned in the Edge interview.
"inklings only gain full control over their form when they reach 14"
So they are 14 or older. Not younger.

Still. This thread has been derailed enough. Keep that in another topic.
More contest entries:

http://toxicroxit.tumblr.com/post/117970818135/contest-entry

http://artasdesire.tumblr.com/post/117734858985/two-for-the-price-of-one-splatoon-art-may-29th

http://misspeya.tumblr.com/post/117865658049/edit-i-altered-the-picture-only-because-i-was

Why is there so much fanart for a game that hasn't come out yet

The game looks cute and original. And basically anything that anyone is excited for will have some art made for it even before any significant details come out (ex Persona 5 art shot through the roof when that 4 minute trailer came out, even though it is months away and we barely know anything about it).

This entry is pretty awesome

Inkopolis metro exposed! We found that while there’s several places to access the different play modes, all of them connect to the Splat line, a metro system that carries all inkling teams across the country. Even if they’re not playing in the same match, inklings from all areas of inkopolis can make friends while waiting to reach their destination.

My entry for the Splatoon art contest! It took a while but I’m super happy with it, and also this game ; 7 ; Like seriously the direct can not come soon enough.
The sort of background story for this one is that I wanted to do a really big fun piece to really communicate how much I adore Splatoon and it’s crazy-colorful urban setting, and I kept on wandering back to my commutes over the LA metro. You see so many colorful characters on your way to your destination– it seemed like the perfect waiting lobby for online matches, so i took a few liberties. Hopefully it works!

http://funkgamut.tumblr.com/post/118169767327/inkopolis-metro-exposed-we-found-that-while

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This entry is pretty awesome

Inkopolis metro exposed! We found that while there’s several places to access the different play modes, all of them connect to the Splat line, a metro system that carries all inkling teams across the country. Even if they’re not playing in the same match, inklings from all areas of inkopolis can make friends while waiting to reach their destination.

My entry for the Splatoon art contest! It took a while but I’m super happy with it, and also this game ; 7 ; Like seriously the direct can not come soon enough.
The sort of background story for this one is that I wanted to do a really big fun piece to really communicate how much I adore Splatoon and it’s crazy-colorful urban setting, and I kept on wandering back to my commutes over the LA metro. You see so many colorful characters on your way to your destination– it seemed like the perfect waiting lobby for online matches, so i took a few liberties. Hopefully it works!

http://funkgamut.tumblr.com/post/118169767327/inkopolis-metro-exposed-we-found-that-while
Damn right it's awesome. Catches the spirit of the game really well.

I remember missing out on the Schoolgirl outfit DLC in Soul Calibur IV. Never again will that be allowed to happen - already got Inkling Girl amiibo preordered.

Razmos

I remember missing out on the Schoolgirl outfit DLC in Soul Calibur IV. Never again will that be allowed to happen - already got Inkling Girl amiibo preordered.
I feels ya. The amiibo looks fantastic (seriously have you seen the ink tank on it's back? it's really detailed) and the schoolgirl outfit looks so good in game.

Cuburt

I just realized that this is why Nintendo has a tumblr page for this game but I've never seen them advertise for any Nintendo related tumblr page before.

With all the fan art that popped up for the game right away, that sort of helped the IP grow a community even when there was so little info on the game, it is a smart move for Nintendo to embrace that part of the fanbase (the safe for work part) like this. Especially since I'm sure tumblr was the source of some images or at least their spread.

It's cool how much fan art these characters have inspired. Especially since the art itself feels just as inspired and fresh as the game. Everything about this game really feels like a winning combination.

LaserHawk

I'd definitely enter the contest if it didn't require having a tumblr account. I'm not signing up for tumblr for that. And I already have a picture half-finished that I was making anyway.

NEO0MJ

I'd kinda surprised we didn't get fan-art from the new characters shown yesterday, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most are drawing squidgirl.

I'd definitely enter the contest if it didn't require having a tumblr account. I'm not signing up for tumblr for that. And I already have a picture half-finished that I was making anyway.

That seems like a strange reason not to join. Open a tumblr account with a dummy e-mail if you don't want them annoying you.

Top Bottom