• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senior Squid Artist Quit, NOA to Hold Splatoon Art Contest!

FZnbirB.jpg

Stupid sexy squid

From the official Splatoon tumblr

We are getting ready to announce the winners of the Splatoon art contest. Take a look at this sneak peek of the judging process sent over by our very special guest judges – the Splatoon development team! We’ll be back later today to announce our winners!

Splatoon SquidLab Nintendo WiiU NintendoContestEntry GetInked Splatoon art Splatoon Fan Art We have about 17 more photos just like this of all the entries printed out. Good luck everyone!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120784938489/we-are-getting-ready-to-announce-the-winners-of#notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now the Winners + Splatoon Dev Team comments

frogbians:
cutting it a little close, but here’s my entry for the splatoon art contest yeehaw

Introducing the first of our five runners up! The Splatoon Dev Team chose this entry because:

“This piece has great use of color, and it puts Splatoon’s distinctive style on full display. The technique used to show light being reflected off of the various surfaces is fantastic, and the unique shiny quality of the game’s ink really comes through.

Looking at this, your eye naturally lands on the inkling out in front, follows the ink they’re shooting, circles upward to the green squid, and then back to the original inkling. That circular structure, combined with bright colors almost makes you feel like you’re floating!”

Congrats to frogbians! We’re looking to share more of our winners, but are still waiting on a few users to respond. Don’t forget to check your Tumblr Inbox if you entered!
frogbians Splatoon Squidlab Nintendo WiiU Splatoon Art Contest
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120810241684/frogbians-cutting-it-a-little-close-but-heres#notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stupjam:
the “Tournament”

Congrats to stupjam for being a runner up in our Splatoon Art Contest! Here’s what the Splatoon Dev Team had to say:

“The atmosphere of Turf War is expressed perfectly here. Anyone who’s played Splatoon before can look at this painting and feel the tension of a fierce Turf War match.

The slightly slanted composition and the coarse bush strokes are very effective.

It would be easy to talk about what strategies the players in this piece may be taking in this moment, and we can guess what might happen in the next few moments of this incredibly dramatic piece.“

stupjam Splatoon SquidLab Nintendo WiiU Splatoon Art Contest
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120872368752/stupjam-the-tournament-congrats-to-stupjam#notes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bluegenesis123:

“LOSER ALERT!!”

Splatoon comes out in a week and OMGGGG IM SO EXCITEDD. The game looks so awesome and gorgeous and I love the character designs~ I also love how accessible it is for everyone like you don’t even have to shoot anyone, just shoot the floor yass. I’m also excited to go to my friend’s house to play the Global Testfire cause she has a WiiU and I don’t.

ANYWAYS, I wanted to draw Annie and Moe because although the Inklings look cool, they’re just really cute. I WAS going to do a picture of the Inklings but I thought that would be too predictable. So I wanted this picture to portray a different side to Splatoon and I thought what better way to do this than draw the shop? The shop easily portrays a peaceful environment while still looking fresh. I replayed the directs so many times just to catch every detail and logo I could implement (like the hat and the shop stickies.) It was hard to make Annie stand out but it came out well. I also added some Nintendo easter eggs just to keep this fun and honestly I’m so proud of this piece. This piece took me about a few weeks to conjure up and I really tried to put as much detail into this as possible. So yeah.

That’s all I have to say. I wish everyone the best of luck on their pieces and I hope everyone has fun at the Global Testfire this Saturday!

See ya there! :)

Congrats to bluegenesis123 for being a runner up in the Splatoon Art Contest!

“The vibrant colors and dramatic lighting of this picture of Annie and Moe help convey how truly and effortlessly fresh the pair are. We also love the Nintendo easter eggs hidden throughout the shop!”

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120880311735/bluegenesis123-loser-alert-splatoon-comes#notes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nelnel-chan:

After weeks and hours since the Splatoon Art contest was announced This is my final Entry for this contest I did so many sketches, asking for advice, and even coloring a previous entry which later turn into a redo for this one instead. I did many researches on the Single player mode and Splatoon direct, watching the videos over and over to see what I can put in this entry and this is the result of that.Since I can’t do digital art My medium turn out to be just a simple, color pencil, computer paper and a sharpie to make the image stand out a bit. I love all the characters especially Annie and Spkye (Still waiting for an official artwork for him). It took 2 weeks to finish. I hide a few Nintendo Easter eggs here and there but still tried to keep the world of splatoon only to Splatoon. I looked over the official rules and there’s nothing that said that I can’t use many images to create my very long and very big entry cause (Except the 10MB limit which in all turned into 9.02MB.) I really wanted to show the world of Splatoon and all the characters in a fun and unique way as I saw this game was revealed at E3. I honestly couldn’t been be able to add everything on one sheet paper. Dont take my idea now! Find your own inspiration! �� Lol. But Anyway I am very happy and content with this picture and I wish good luck to everyone that enter this contest! \(^v^)/ I can’t wait for this game!

Edit Apparently Sypke’s official artwork was shown on The splatoon Japanese account. And I nailed his design.

Congrats to Nelnel-chan for being a runner up in our Splatoon Art Contest! Here’s what the Splatoon Dev Team had to say:

Of all of the pieces submitted, this drawing showed the most love for Splatoon. Besides showing an inkredible knowledge of various details of the game, it shows everything through a completely unique point of view. It’s a drawing that inspires me as a creator. This is a work with depth where the artist kept an open mind and hit all the right points.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120955134288/nelnel-chan-after-weeks-and-hours-since-the#notes

More to come

Top Bottom