• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

pawel86ck

Banned
The SW “Reflections” demo ran on a Quadro RTX 8000 card, though.

So, either you're saying i) XSEX has a more powerful GPU than a $5000 Quadro RTX 8000, or ii) what we saw wasn't in real-time.
You can run SW reflections demo on all turing GPU's with HW RT, so it's not like you need expensive Quadro.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Because cinematics happen in a scripted environment with a rigged camera. You can get away with a LOT of GPU processing that you couldn't do when the game loop is running. A lot of overhead is removed and it's just a pure graphics pipeline at that point. Subsurface scattering, for example is extremely expensive and only now are we seeing it in gameplay. It is used heavily during cinematics. Same with hair (or what I like to call clump primitive shading). Very low res during gameplay and very crude shader for it while playing. Getting rid of light leaks under the eyes on faces is very costly and is correct in cinematics, but turned "off" while in gameplay.

Geki-D

Banned
Because cinematics happen in a scripted environment with a rigged camera. You can get away with a LOT of GPU processing that you couldn't do when the game loop is running. A lot of overhead is removed and it's just a pure graphics pipeline at that point. Subsurface scattering, for example is extremely expensive and only now are we seeing it in gameplay. It is used heavily during cinematics. Same with hair (or what I like to call clump primitive shading). Very low res during gameplay and very crude shader for it while playing. Getting rid of light leaks under the eyes on faces is very costly and is correct in cinematics, but turned "off" while in gameplay.
? Why do you disagree with Dee Dah Dave, then? They said exactly that. Unless your disagreement is actually that it'll look even less than 75% as good?

Last edited:

E-Cat

They're talking about gameplay, not in-game cinematics. It seems you two are in agreement.

VFXVeteran

Banned
They're talking about gameplay, not in-game cinematics. It seems you two are in agreement.

I'm saying that in general, gameplay at 75% of cinematics is probably too optimistic. I'd say 50%-60% on some games. When you see the cinematics and then it goes to the gameplay, it's jarring at times. Some games like Modern Warfare might be 75% of cinematics. But other games like Spiderman are much worse than 75%. So it's depends on the game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
In case you missed it, this has so far been my absolute highlight of this The Game Awards. A sequel to one of my favorite games this generation, and one of my favorite examples of storytelling in gaming, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Definitely fuckin excited for this one.

The first game released on PC, PS4, XONE, and Switch. This sequel will presumably only release on PC and XSEX.
(The Xbox Series X, if you're just hearing)

By far the best game reveal of the entire show. I'm very thankful to Game Pass for Hellblade.

I didn't think I would like Hellblade, but since got a lot of positive reviews & won many awards I decided to try it since it was free on GP. It completely blew me away and is one of my favorite games from this gen.

Hellblade is the kind of game I'm talking about when I say I want a game with a great deep story.

Dory16

Banned
Fuck the combat the first game was all about the experience as a whole.

This looks...

tenor.gif
Agreed.. Ninja Theory made DmC. They're hack and slash masters. This was a different type of game, dramatic/poetic story telling with focus on mental health and combat in the background.

Jtibh

Banned
Can't you see the scorched earth around her?

Elon and all the other rich dudes left for mars and left her to deal with the consequences of climate change.
Climate change is real.
Thats why greta stores all the plastic water bottles in her tesla. To save earth.
Not sure what the can off beans are for though.
Maybe she likes to smell her own farts?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

CatLady

How long before someone just shrugs this off as “another walking simulator” like so many did with the first game?

Sacrifice was easily one of my top 5 games of 2017. A lot of people missed out on a deep gaming experience IMO.

Edit

giphy.gif

I did just that with the 1st one, shrugged it off as a typical shallow walking sim until I finally decided to check it out on Game Pass. To me Hellblade is not simply a game; it's a very intense, emotional experience. It's one of my top 5 games for this entire gen and Hellblade 2 looks to possibly be even better and more immersive due to the realism, that trailer is intense.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta get around to playing the first one. It's on Game Pass, but I just need to find the time.

Reactions: Isa

-kb-

That facial animation is on a whole other level. Please be real and ingame.
If MS'new first parties offer great content and the XSEX offers 4K visuals at a cheaper price than upgrading my PC. I might be there day 1.
God damn this looks good.

Its real, just in-engine rather then realtime gameplay. Gameplay will hopefully look the same just with the quality dialled down a notch or two.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I did just that with the 1st one, shrugged it off as a typical shallow walking sim until I finally decided to check it out on Game Pass. To me Hellblade is not simply a game; it's a very intense, emotional experience.

Glad to hear that, NT is a top notch developer (sometimes like with DMC the artistic vision and writing can be off, but it was not bad per se... just not what fans expected and it was rejected for that reason) and I am sick and tired too of the “walking sim” troll thrown at such games so knowing more people will give HB2 and games like it a chance is refreshing to hear :).

I would venture as far as saying that most of the AA/big AAA titles that get labelled with that nasty moniker are also “very intense, emotional experiences”.

Now that both consoles have more of such close, cinematic, emotional experiences then the console warring that helped the moniker’s use to rise will lose evil potency ;).

CatLady

If I'm remembering the ending of Hellblade 1 correctly am I the only one thinking Hellblade 2 might actually be a prequel showing us the journey of how Senua came to be in her mental state in Hellblade 1?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
If I'm remembering the ending of Hellblade 1 correctly am I the only one thinking Hellblade 2 might actually be a prequel showing us the journey of how Senua came to be in her mental state in Hellblade 1?
I remember the Hellblade 1 ending inviting the player to continue along Senua's story, allowing for a sequel.
But I'd also consider that "2" sounds more like a continuation, and the original game also already delved quite a bit into Senua's past.

CatLady

Gonna be a pretty crazy saga as her mental state sends us to deeper parts of hell with each game.

It's going to be a wild & probably disturbing ride for sure. That trailer is so intense I can't quit watching it, it's mesmerizing and the band & music is such a perfect fit for this game.

I can't wait for this game to come out, it sure appeals to me a whole lot more than that Bleeding Edge or whatever the other NT game is called. It's hard to believe bothgames are from the same dev studio.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It's going to be a wild & probably disturbing ride for sure. That trailer is so intense I can't quit watching it, it's mesmerizing and the band & music is such a perfect fit for this game.

I can't wait for this game to come out, it sure appeals to me a whole lot more than that Bleeding Edge or whatever the other NT game is called. It's hard to believe bothgames are from the same dev studio.
I KNOW RIGHT
I keep rewatching

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
To put things into perspective, this was an in engine demo for the Ps4 back in 2013

However I think that demo was more exaggerated then hellblade 2s.

Last edited:

CatLady

I'm subbed for 1.5 years but I will be adding more time when there are deals & with MS rewards points. This game, Halo Infinite at XSX launch Day 1 on Game Pass is simply too awesome.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The chanting close ups felt really out of place and I cringed, but the actual tech on display was pretty impressive. Unfortunately, as has already been stated, "in engine" means little for how the game will actually look. The feeling and vibe, however, was pretty damn terrific. Colour me intrigued.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know if ppl were aware but ninja theory has said the demo was made on UE4.

I thought it was pretty obvious. It wasn't doing anything particularly impressive, but it was cleverly put together. Shot for shot its all standard stuff just done with a far higher polygon and texture budget than we're used to. It also uses a bunch of staging tricks that are particularly good at hiding flaws and imperfections.

Don't get me wrong, its artistically extremely good and well made. Its just not that impressive as a tech showcase, certainly compared to the sort of high-end stuff that engine vendors use to promote their wares (Unity, UE, Luminous etc.) I suspect it was put together pretty quickly liberally borrowing assets and animation rigs from the first game.

molasar

Banned
Dreams about world destruction ... Climate change . . ... While the followers are taking selfies with latest phones....
I believe that some interest group uses her as a tool to push for CO 2-pollution taxation. It will limit developing countries and fill up some pockets with money. Nobody really reviews what happens with this funds. Just another tool of control for elites.

Last edited by a moderator:

RSB

Banned
I don't think so. Look at the scar on the right side of her forehead. She got that during the first game.

bTdREAf.jpg

zsKqDn2.jpg

Stuart360

I'm surprised so many people cant remember the ending. She literally turns to the camera and says 'see you in our next adventure', then smiles and walks off, then the game ends.

10:32 -

She actually says 'Follow us, we have another story to tell', then walks off into the sunset lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom