• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

GrayFoxPL

It is running in real time -- just not on a XSX.
nrhtNXl.gif

cucuchu

Probably one of the most cringy trailers I've ever seen. Given how no one cheered in the audience I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way. I hope the ac

What are you talking about? There was cheering in the audience as soon as the camera returned to them after the final Xbox logo faded out.

I'm sure you are not alone in your opinion but there are plenty of us excited by the trailer.

Matt_Fox

UHJ, 'unnatural head jerking' has scared the crap out of me ever since I first saw it done in Jacob's Ladder.

Anyone seen that movie? Underrated little horror flick.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

I never got through the first game: combat was sloppy, encounters were staggered too far apart, and I didn’t connect with the MC. I’ll give this another shot, though. I tend to play almost everything at the start of a gen (then settle into GaaS and ignore those experiences later on). It should be worth it for the visuals alone—like Rise.

HeadsUp7Up

I need to go back and finish the first game after putting it down after the first hour or so. Playing it with headphones is a trip and really screws with your head. Looking forward to this next one.

Evilms

Banned

• The trailer was made with the Unreal Engine 4.
  • This first trailer is like a glimpse of what the new generation of consoles could offer in terms of light and shadow effects, as well as general light reflections and ray tracing, and DF seems impressed by this here.
  • It was running at 24 frames per second with a real resolution of 3840x1608 or ~74% of the full 3840x2160.
  • DF believes that even if it is a pre-rendered cinematics running on a high-end PC, it is clearly a level of detail, geometry, lighting and rendering techniques never seen on a console.
  • For Alex even if we're not in a KillZone 2/motorstorm situation and although the graphics look almost perfect, he noticed some small imperfections in the trailer and thinks it still remains target render.
  • The tone and atmosphere of some environments are a little reminiscent of Death Stranding, although putting Hellblade 2 against the latest Kojima Productions game here shows a real generational leap.
  • The term in engine means that everything you have seen in the video can "theoretically" be represented with the graphics engine, in other words the gameplay could look like this.
  • At the reveal at the TGA2019, the game trailer was announced as in-engine, but DF is not totally convinced and according to them it's not real time, for Alex it's even "too good to be true" however he says it will be necessary to see a little more about the game before drawing a firm conclusion and understanding how developers are trying to harness the power of the Xbox Series X GPU with new techniques.
  • Overall, he seems rather sceptical for this first presentation.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Probably one of the most cringy trailers I've ever seen. Given how no one cheered in the audience I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way. I hope the actual game is nothing like it.

This is for yo salty ass...Lol. Got damn, boi. Get your sodium levels checked.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yup.. as I said before, the PC is the primary development platform for all games 1st party and 3rd including PS/Xbox/Nintendo, etc.. agreements/contracts etc.. dictate whether they will actually be available for the PC. In the XSX/PS5 case, yea, pretty much all of them will become available. We haven't seen a next-gen game announced yet that doesn't include the PC version (and some surprises on the way).

Probably one of the most detailed mouths I've ever seen on a character model for gaming. The facial capture is pretty damned good. That's obviously the MS money at work, giving them what they had lacked with HB1.
Look at the slight stretches of the gum tissue, the gloss of the gum, the tongue. Ridiculous and wow inducing is what I got from the trailer. Watched it a few times.

Probably one of the most detailed mouths I've ever seen on a character model for gaming. The facial capture is pretty damned good. That's obviously the MS money at work, giving them what they had lacked with HB1.
Look at the slight stretches of the gum tissue, the gloss of the gum, the tongue. Ridiculous and wow inducing is what I got from the trailer. Watched it a few times.

Why does that matter instead of gameplay?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s a beautiful game but way too light on gameplay for my tastes.
Here's hoping HB II has more gameplay.

The first game was barely a game. If NT got rid of the pointless running around empty caverns and 2 minute fights, HB 1 could have been a visual novel.

Jesb

Here's hoping HB II has more gameplay.

The first game was barely a game. If NT got rid of the pointless running around empty caverns and 2 minute fights, HB 1 could have been a visual novel.

The whole game was basically figuring out how to open doors. Definitely a game to show off visuals. But bring more to do in the next one.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The whole game was basically figuring out how to open doors. Definitely a game to show off visuals. But bring more to do in the next one.
NT is hit and miss in the department. If you check their game history, the games they have the most core gameplay like DMC and Bleeding Edge are forgotten. Ya DMC got good reviews, but nobody really brings it up.

But their games that have lots of flare and cinematics like HS, Enslaved and Hellblade seem to get the most attention even if the reviews (which are good, but not spectacular at about 80 on Meta) seem to be gamer's most fav titles.

Given this, I think NT knows their success is more artsy games.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hellblade was a masterpiece in storytelling.

Looking forward to the sequel.
How was the gameplay? Never played it, but since this is going to be a new big first party game it might makes sense to play it beforehand to understand the story properly

Top Bottom