• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

mortal

Gold Member

tenor.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have GP so I’ll try this out but I’ve found the first one a complete slog. Keep going back to it and then giving up after an hour. Fingers crossed with a bigger budget behind them they make the next one a bit tighter.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Correct me if i'm wrong here but was the cinematic trailer released last year all smoke and mirrors or was it all actual in engine?? damned if it wasn't one of the best looking trailers for a game in ages..

New screenshot looks incredible!! This game is going to be quite the looker. Can't wait to see what they come up with. Looks every bit as impressive as the initial trailer. Character model looks amazing, as does the lighting.

CamHostage

Correct me if i'm wrong here but was the cinematic trailer released last year all smoke and mirrors or was it all actual in engine?? damned if it wasn't one of the best looking trailers for a game in ages..
It was in engine.

"In-engine", but not necessarily "realtime", or for that matter, even in any finalized state of what actually will be represented in the final game when it arrives 2-3 years after what was originally released.

And I don't at all say this to diminish the work of Ninja Theory. (The original Hellblade was visually impactful in every release, even the meager Switch version, and I'm confident this team will have an evocative and technologically impressive game in the sequel, whether it surpasses or falls below the original trailer.) I just feel it would be better if gamers were more savvy of the realities of game development, an artform that relies on creating the artist's tools in the middle of creating the work. We can talk about how great the design and mood is in that trailer (it's pretty dank) and how that excites us for the game, and we can talk about how some of the technological developments of Ninja Theory's engine work (both in this trailer and in the Ninja Theory tech demos for Project Mara and Project Insight) are showing some really compelling visuals. I don't think it's good for us though to build a game up in hype and then tear it down in comparison based on some screenshots or a promotional video. Maybe this was a worthwhile discussion to have last year, back when all we had was videos and talk, but now we have the consoles in hand; now we are seeing new tech demos running in realtime on production hardware; now we are seeing the generation slowly start to play out its future. Enjoy the trailer for a really cool-looking experience from a good game development company, enjoy it as an intriguing look at work-in-progress tech that has great potential if everything works out in the final product, but don't enjoy semantic arguments where footage gets weaponized in a battle of memes.

Hellblade II was one of the best looking trailers for a game in ages. It also hints at what is in the lab brewing to possibly be one of the best looking games ever (from a studio that has the capabilities to deliver, but also a studio who aren't magicians and were working with development hardware or target specs at the time.) Enjoy it for that, first, and then we can talk about it more afterwards, but it's all just talk until we can play it or at least see it running.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
"In-engine", but not necessarily "realtime", or for that matter, even in any finalized state of what actually will be represented in the final game when it arrives 2-3 years after what was originally released.

Hellblade II was one of the best looking trailers for a game in ages. It also hints at what is in the lab brewing to possibly be one of the best looking games ever (from a studio that has the capabilities to deliver, but also a studio who aren't magicians and were working with development hardware or target specs at the time.) Enjoy it for that, first, and then we can talk about it more afterwards, but it's all just talk until we can play it or at least see it running.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's gonna be sad if this level of graphic can only be achieved with small scope games (based on the first game).

Maybe on next-next gen we are gonna have npcs inside open world games that look like senua's model (with even mode detailed protagonists)

Greggy

Ok, I'll be the first to ask, F it.
Is Tameem hitting that?
I mean Melina is talented and clearly some kind of muse but not only is she the only main character NT has developed in years, she is that in all their games. Project Mara is basically just about her in a scarey flat based on what we know so far. And now they've fired her stunt double because heck, Melina will now kung fu fight and "if she can't do a move it won't be in the game"? I know that sentence was tongue in cheek but when's the last time you've seen an entrepreneur put all his eggs in the same basket like that?
My guess is acting is not the only thing Melina is great at and I don't blame Tameem, have you seen those eyes? Plus he has a Lambo now so I guess it's a win-win all around at Nija Theory. Let's just hope the gamers are not left out of the deal.

It's gonna be sad if this level of graphic can only be achieved with small scope games (based on the first game).

Maybe on next-next gen we are gonna have npcs inside open world games that look like senua's model (with even mode detailed protagonists)

For all we know, this sequel could have the playtime of a Gears of War, Uncharted, etc...which would be fantastic actually.

Hell, even if it were the same length as the first game but with big improvements to everything, it will still be received very well.

Some of the best games this past gen were short. Hades, Ori, Inside, Hellblade, Celeste, The Witness, Cuphead, etc..and none those games are an eyesore.
After Cyberpunk, I totally appreciate talented developers simply nailing their vision on a less-than-gargantuan budget. It's better for productivity as well.

Greggy

Nice GQ article from 2019 about the origins of the company and its founder:

Bartski

Gold Member
Hellblade was such a surprise, I thought it looked like shit in all early showings and it turned out just amazing. This is easily my most anticipated exclusive on XsX, can't wait for what they can do on this hardware.

jaysius

Banned
Hopefully this one is better than the last one, such an empty hype train because it talked about le mental issues.

I seriously hope this one has better than that Batman riddler shit for it's "gameplay" and fucking awful combat.

Senua

Gold Member
Ok, I'll be the first to ask, F it.
Is Tameem hitting that?
I mean Melina is talented and clearly some kind of muse but not only is she the only main character NT has developed in years, she is that in all their games. Project Mara is basically just about her in a scarey flat based on what we know so far. And now they've fired her stunt double because heck, Melina will now kung fu fight and "if she can't do a move it won't be in the game"? I know that sentence was tongue in cheek but when's the last time you've seen an entrepreneur put all his eggs in the same basket like that?
My guess is acting is not the only thing Melina is great at and I don't blame Tameem, have you seen those eyes? Plus he has a Lambo now so I guess it's a win-win all around at Nija Theory. Let's just hope the gamers are not left out of the deal.
Nope she's going out with an absolute chad. She's just a really awesome talent that they happened to stumble across, and I don't blame them for using her as much as possible

Can't wait. 10 minute cut scene. Walk for 2 minutes to open a gate. 5 minute cut scene. 90 second fight with vulturemen wearing raggy clothes. 8 minute cut scene.
Can't wait for Last of Us 3.

15 minutes intro cut scenes.

Walk for 20 seconds to a car

Another 5 minute serious on the edge of your seat cut scenes

Kill infected for 1 minute

Another 13 minute cut scene of a new character showing up

3 minutes of walking around in a building looking for shit and you open a door and then

10 minute shocking cut scene of a vital character getting killed.

GOTY with the following praises....

FlAWLESS!
INSANE GAMEPLAY!
PHENOMENAL STORYTELLING!
BREATHTAKING!

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I think the cut scene criticisms are fair, and I do hope that this sequel has more 'immediacy' than the original.

Senua's schizophrenic voices were fine, but a major element of the game was activating the voice overs for the "stories of the norsemen". These stories were a dry museum-style retelling, all narrated by the same voice actor, of various myths and shenanigans and there were 44 of these in the game - for me that was 44 too many. They added zero to the gameplay and questionable whether they added anything of value to the world building.

If the sequel can ditch some of these clunky elements and focus a bit more on the moment-to-moment gameplay then we could have something very special.

TonyK

Can't wait for Last of Us 3.

15 minutes intro cut scenes.

Walk for 20 seconds to a car

Another 5 minute serious on the edge of your seat cut scenes

Kill infected for 1 minute

Another 13 minute cut scene of a new character showing up

3 minutes of walking around in a building looking for shit and you open a door and then

10 minute shocking cut scene of a vital character getting killed.

GOTY with the following praises....

FlAWLESS!
INSANE GAMEPLAY!
PHENOMENAL STORYTELLING!
BREATHTAKING!
So, you are not played The Last of Us, right?

So, you are not played The Last of Us, right?
Got the first one 100% trophies. Does that count? You really can't tell sarcasm or jokes can you? Sad.

You are not played Last of Us? Do you even english bro?

It would be "You have not played Last of Us?" L2English sir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom