• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that will never happen for games that ended on cliffhangers

Stove

Banned
I'd probably say Syphon Filter. A former Bend dev recently came out and said that the ending to Logan's Shadow was definitive, but it does not present itself that way

royox

KOTOR_II.jpg

Man I want a third game so badly. :(

SWTOR doesn't exist damn it! Screw that game.

Play it again with the restored content mod and then SWTOR will make full sense for you if you ever play the Jedi Knight Story.

Dahbomb

x0kOLFR.jpg

I mean... there's a chance, but it's very slim right now.

Such a badass ending.

EDIT: It's Darksiders, damn it!

One of the most hype ending to a video game ever... I got the chills.

"You would wage this war alone?"

"No..... not alone."

x0kOLFR.jpg

Such a badass ending.

I just dont understand what the hell they were thinking with Darksiders 2. Lets spend all this budget and talent working on a boring side story instead of picking up from the hype ass ending from our first game.

It kills me.

Alan Wake 2 probably won't end up happening :(

They said it sold enough to get a sequel, but they moved on to Quantum Break before they had a green light to do it. They've said in interviews they could go back and at the end of American Nightmare there is a large title that says "Alan Wake's adventure will continue", this was after they moved onto Quantum Break.

The ending of Darksiders:
[Hellguard Captain] You would wage this war alone?
[War] No... Not alone.
FINAL SEAL BREAKS, PAN TO COMETS IN THE DISTANCE
[Fade to black]

Fucking HYPE.
As a side note, Darksiders and Nier cemented Liam O'Brien as one of my favorite voice actors.

Zalman

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Why did they give it a cliffhanger ending, whyyyyyy

I do think it'll happen eventually but it might take 5+ years like last time.

This thread brought to my attention that there is a strong possibility of Zero Escape 3 being announced soon.

It's a wonderful life.

I find it funny that this isn't really even asked anymore because of what Ubisoft has become nowadays, I remember this being in the same league as Half life 3 and Last Guardian.

Let's face it, it'd be a bar-filling grindfest with Jade climbing 72 towers to reveal the map.

Technically there was a sequel (that had nothing to do with the series tbh) and a spin-off that factored some elements into it, but Dino Crisis 2's ending was left completely unresolved.

And as much as I wish for there to be one, despite the likely upsetting consequences of it, I know it will never happen in any form.

SkyOdin

I'm kinda surprised at all of the people mentioning Breath of Fire 4. Now, I've never actually seen the ending, since for some reason the furtherest I've ever reached in the game is the final dungeon, so I can't comment on it directly. However, it is widely speculated that Breath of Fire IV is a prequel to the first three games in the series which tells (or at least hints at) the origins of the major gods of the series and the Dragon Tribe. As such, it isn't really a game that doesn't have a sequel so much as it is trying to set-up stuff that gets resolved in earlier games.

Prince of Persia 2008 has a massive cliffhanger.

Granted, it got [partially] addressed with DLC but come on.. I want a fucking sequel, Ubi! DO IIIIT.

I came into this thread for this game. Glad someone else besides me likes it. I freaken love the banter between Prince and Elika, and I want to witness more of their interactions.

Also, about the DLC - I liked the level designs but I disliked how the bosses were a rehash of one of the game's own bosses. I was hoping too see a continuation with all original bosses.

I just dont understand what the hell they were thinking with Darksiders 2. Lets spend all this budget and talent working on a boring side story instead of picking up from the hype ass ending from our first game.

It kills me.

They had a huge ambition for the sequel and decided to make an "interquel" while they were essentially waiting for next-gen to get here.

Too bad they didn't last the end of the generation :(

Darksiders 2 was amazing, though, so it wasn't all that bad...

petran79

Banned
Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret should have a third and final game where the rebels take on the evil President on earth, after destroying the moon base in No Regret.
Sadly this never happened. EA's Origin was disbanded shortly afterward and Tony Zurovic stated in an interview that there is no plan for a sequel.

LeonSPBR

I'm kinda surprised at all of the people mentioning Breath of Fire 4. Now, I've never actually seen the ending, since for some reason the furtherest I've ever reached in the game is the final dungeon, so I can't comment on it directly. However, it is widely speculated that Breath of Fire IV is a prequel to the first three games in the series which tells (or at least hints at) the origins of the major gods of the series and the Dragon Tribe. As such, it isn't really a game that doesn't have a sequel so much as it is trying to set-up stuff that gets resolved in earlier games.

The game leaves many losse ends in his story. Enemies still alive and causing trouble (Fuck you Yuna), the whole gods becoming mortals don't explain how dragons came to exist, and teh story itself felt like their trouble had just begun, that they would have to begin rebiuld while the threat of war looms above their head.

Lakitu

st5fu
You know, it never dawned on me but it's been roughly 8 years since I went through Half-Life: Episode 2 and I've still not had any resolution. That makes me really sad.

Assassins Creed 3?

Because I'm sure they have pretty much swerved the present day plot since then.

I was actually thinking of Assassins Creed for this, but not 3. Assassins Creed Brotherhood has a pretty big twist at the end for the modern day plot and after that it basically get completely ignored, it's coincidentally the same time that I feel the story telling for AC as a whole went to shit.

I strongly believe that the series was originally planned to end at 3 but the money made Ubisoft make the most laziest and downright stupid decisions to keep it going.

whoszed

I find it funny that this isn't really even asked anymore because of what Ubisoft has become nowadays, I remember this being in the same league as Half life 3 and Last Guardian.

As far as I know they never explicitly cancelled it, but yeah it is such a long shot at this point that it's almost better not to think about the game.
almost

That first teaser trailer, tho, had some style.... and that little bit of supposed leaked footage, game looked good.

Atrarock

Already mentioned twice, but Mega Man ZX Advent ended on one hell of a cliff hanger

Vanquish. Ending has closure, but it did leave a massive tease that eluded to a bigger plot down the road.
You get a "glimpse" of the colony from Vanquish in Bayonetta 2

Metroid Fusion

The ending completely turns the series on its head...and Nintendo have no idea how to take it forward.
Nearly 15 years later and we've had 5 games take place be before the events of Fusion instead of going forward..
Considering what Samus "did" and what she is now due to the events of fusion, I think there would be quite a few ways to Flesh out a sequel. Though what we really need in Metroid are some new creative powers/power ups.

I've never really regarded XIII or PoP 08 as cliffhangers. XIII has
a downer ending (bad guys win)
and PoP has
the Prince deciding Elika's life is more important than keeping the dark god imprisoned
In both cases I felt the story had reached a satisfactory conclusion, even though I wouldn't be against seeing what happens next.

Psi-Ops though...

Rage, I think.

I liked the game, but it just kinda ended without any warning. Likelihood of a sequel is minimal.
Rage felt like nothing more than a glorified tech demo to me.

It was very I impressive on PS3 if you don't take into account the absurd texture pop in.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not really a cliffhanger, but there's still so much left unexplained after the end of Star Control 2.

I wanna know what these guys' game is. It make me *frumple*.

FpySsmM.gif

Cropduster89

Neo Member
It has to be Shenmue.

thunderclap-sept2013.png

But not sure I want to see it though, that was a weird ass ending to 2. And Yakuza filled the void that was left in my heart.

Also my capsule toy collection probably wont be carried over from my 1&2 Dreamcast saves, so screw Shenmue and screw Sega.

MrBadger

Oh, remembered another one

Rhythm_Thief_and_the_Emperor's_Treasure.png

The entire main focus of the storyline is never resolved as well as the game ending on a cliffhanger. It always sucks when games have subtitles in their names as if to show the creators want to franchise that shit, then they do horribly so never get sequels.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
x0kOLFR.jpg

Such a badass ending.

Came to post this. Its a travesty we won't get to see all four of them in action together taking on the charred council.

The ending dialogue was just so perfect and badass.."No..not alone!!" Hope Nordic & Joe Mad collaborate.

Top Bottom