• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series or franchise that has the best boss fights

MormaPope

Banned
MGS-foxhound.jpg

The Metal Gear franchise as a whole is almost unmatched when it comes to consistently well designed boss fights. MGS1's FOXHOUND bosses each had their own design philosophy, and their personalities match how each battle needs to be confronted. The most broken boss fight in the game is Sniper Wolf round 2, as the 1v1 sniping battle can be bypassed completely by using nikita missiles.

2216083-dead_cell_by_zonnex.jpg

MGS2 bosses are much tougher than MGS1 bosses on higher difficulties. Olga on European Extreme requires excellent accuracy and excellent timing. Not only do you need to follow through with a strategy, your performance must be in top form. The Olga fight, harrier battle, and RAY barrage will push you to your limits and succeeding is incredibly satisfying.

420333_10150593587855986_677164949_n.jpg

MGS3 is incredibly varied when it comes to what strategies can be used. Each boss fight requires a completely different thought process, bum rushing The End won't work, The Fear requires fast reflexes, The Fury calls for hit and run tactics. The amount of tools you have and the varied conditions for each fight make for really fun battles.

mg_rising___desperado_enforcement_group_wallpaper_by_pokethecactus-d5o1i1g.jpg

Metal Gear Rising's boss fights are about fast reflexes and dominating your opponent with pattern recognition. It's all about speed and grace, planning a perfect parry ahead of time or bashing your opponent and risking a quick parry when the time comes.

MechaX

Only one series has the likes of Psycho Mantis and Senator Armstrong.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Metal Gear by a landslide in terms of consistently good boss fights. Some are definitely stinkers, but overall, I feel like the boss encounters is the one of the series' biggest strengths.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo

Xaldin and Xigbar gave me the blues, though.

Steel

Banned
For action? The Souls Series and Soul Sacrifice(It'll be a series when Soul Sac 2 comes out)

For turn based? The overall Shin Megami tensei Franchise with its spin-offs.

Matriox

I'll bet I'll get some flack for this, but Pokemon's boss fights. It always excited me to have a team prepared and arranged for particular gym leaders (or the elite 4), also add in random encounters with your rival and whether or not you were ready for it (random if its your first time playing). Yeah the mechanics are probably too similar to the rest of the game but the Gym you're fighting against usually has a trick or two for your fights (TM specific to the Gym or a particular pokemon that isnt weak to typical weaknessess associated to the Gym type).

MGS-foxhound.jpg

The Metal Gear franchise as a whole is almost unmatched when it comes to consistently well designed boss fights. MGS1's FOXHOUND bosses each had their own design philosophy, and their personalities match how each battle needs to be confronted. The most broken boss fight in the game is Sniper Wolf round 2, as the 1v1 sniping battle can be bypassed completely by using nikita missiles.

2216083-dead_cell_by_zonnex.jpg

MGS2 bosses are much tougher than MGS1 bosses on higher difficulties. Olga on European Extreme requires excellent accuracy and excellent timing. Not only do you need to follow through with a strategy, your performance must be in top form. The Olga fight, harrier battle, and RAY barrage will push you to your limits and succeeding is incredibly satisfying.

420333_10150593587855986_677164949_n.jpg

MGS3 is incredibly varied when it comes to what strategies can be used. Each boss fight requires a completely different thought process, bum rushing The End won't work, The Fear requires fast reflexes, The Fury calls for hit and run tactics. The amount of tools you have and the varied conditions for each fight make for really fun battles.

mg_rising___desperado_enforcement_group_wallpaper_by_pokethecactus-d5o1i1g.jpg

Metal Gear Rising's boss fights are about fast reflexes and dominating your opponent with pattern recognition. It's all about speed and grace, planning a perfect parry ahead of time or bashing your opponent and risking a quick parry when the time comes.

goddamnit OP whats the point of the thread if you're gonna have the best answer in the very first post? :p

but seriously, I just finished playing Peace Walker today....hoo boy that last boss fight o_O

Metal Gear series definitely has some of the coolest boss concepts, each with a lot of character (for the most part). Their naming conventions are always fun too (ability + animal, emotions).

Platinum games have had amazing, demanding boss battle gameplay that keeps you on edge in some way.

Platinum + Metal Gear = Revengeance = the best

Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack fleshes out the boss' characters in ways they never could've achieved through cutscenes. Through the boss theme lyrics, you get an understanding of who that character is and what their motivations and philosophies are, even if they don't spend little time discussing them outright. This goes along way in keeping the bosses from feeling like one-off, throwaway fights. Each are memorable and none feel wasted, really (though Sundowner's fight is easily cheesed).

GOT TO PLAN MY DISPERSAL

Tizoc

How about the Ys games? I only just started Ys 3 on the Vita and damn those 2 first boss fights were good.

Metroid Primes

Perfect mix. Especially the 1st few seconds as you desperately try to scan them before they nail you with the 1st hit.

Apath

I really enjoyed many of the boss batles in the Zone of the Enders series. Specifically the fights after you unlock Zero Shift in Zone of the Enders 2 and the fight in the cargo container room in Zone of the Enders 1.

Metal Gear Rising's boss fights were a masterclass of game design. Developers should be forced to study the examples in this game and understand just why they are so good before making their own games.

Kieli

Since I don't think Shadow of the Colossus counts for the purposes of this thread, I'll throw in the Souls series.

There are some really great boss fights, even if some of them are derivatives of previous encounters. I'm especially partial to the Dark Souls bosses Artorias and Sif. <3

The Zelda series wins overall, I would say.

Other notable games:

• Resident Evil 4 (survival horror)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (action RPG)
  • Metal Gear Solid (action)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (platforming)
  • Ikaruga (shoot em up)
  • Viewtiful Joe (action beat 'em up)
  • Sin & Punishment 1 & 2 (rail shooter)
  • Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (boxing)
  • Brave Fencer Musashi (action RPG)
  • Silhouette Mirage (action shooting)
  • Rez (rail shooter)
  • Zone of the Enders 2 (action)
  • Yoshi's Island (platforming)
  • Little King's Story (real-time strategy)
  • No More Heroes 1 & 2 (hack 'n' slash)
  • Zack & Wiki (point and click)
  • Gunstar Heroes & Advance (action shooting)
  • Drill Dozer (platforming)

Toxi

Banned
Metroid has a 50 foot tall robot that shoots antimatter and spins like a top. Your arguments are invalid.
Quadraxis.jpg

Seriously, Metroid has had great bosses since its inception. Mother Brain, Metroid Queen, Kraid, Phantoon, Ridley, Serris, B.O.X, Yakuza, Nightmare, Omega Pirate, Meta Ridley, Metroid Prime, Chykka, Spider Guardian, Quadraxis, Emperor Ing, Dark Samus, Mogenar, Helios, and Gandrayda are all among my favorite bosses of all time.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Toss up between the Metal Gear and Shin Megami Tensei franchises. Both have so many memorable boss fights, like Psycho Mantis and Ocelot for MG and Mara and Matador for SMT, just to name a few of the many boss battles.

AAK

The OP is asking for series... but the GAME that had the best boss fights for me was definitely Shadow of the Colossus:

iGFuA5t7N8NxB.jpg

ibag2ZzYF9iE56.jpg

ib1MsXm1HzFVie.jpg

ib1aAlqZaRLbHa.jpg

ib0YSWg26aBy8E.jpg

iXavAu5DlY94k.jpg

iE5jxPGESY21W.jpg

ibvEIZlMNr0Q35.jpg

But as for a series, I nod my head towards Devil May Cry.

From what I've played so far, The Wonderful 101. Just absolutely insane, out of this world action, boss fights. They could be infuriating at times, but I could never ignore how well executed they were.

The OP is asking for series... but the GAME that had the best boss fights for me was definitely Shadow of the Colossus:

But as for a series, I nod my head towards Devil May Cry.

Those pictures are amazing.

On topic: I'd go with MGS like many have already said.

Top Bottom