• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Rogen officially adapting ‘Preacher’ comic for AMC [Update: Series ordered]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Preacher, Constantine, American Gods and Jonathan Strage & Mr Norrel.

TVs, get out of my shelves =O

or at least grab the Sandman for an HBO series before you get out xD

Silkworm

None of those are sci fi. I think the project you're talking about is either dead or still a very long ways off.
Oh! I hope it didn't get shelved but if it wasn't turning out right, I understand. I looked it up and it was tentatively titled "Ballistic City".

From April 2013
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/oblivion-director-pacific-rim-writer-441422
Ballistic City tells the story of a former cop thrust into the criminal underworld of a city housed in a generational spaceship destined for an unknown world. The concept is described as a blend of Chinatown and Blade Runner.

Alright, with Rogen & Goldberg on the team, I'm officially sold. Their teamups have been consistently outstanding, and hopefully AMC gives them the necessary leniency make this work.

Obscura

Well since Justified is cancelled, you could get Olyphant for Jesse. That wouldn't be too bad.

I really hope not... To me it's impossible for him to not come across like an asshole. Something about his face.

Exciting news though! Really hope Arseface looks like the test they did for the HBO version. Looked fantastic.

Perfect TC.

But horrible choice for Cass or Jesse. Keep away.

Agreed.

Honestly, I'm more curious who they will cast as Cassidy. Whoever it is, it will be a career making role. So much range within the character. They also need to absolutely NAIL the dynamic of him and Jesse.

Also, wonder how they will handle the Wall of Meat fucking.

Monocle

I don't imagine this will be nearly profane enough to do the comic justice.

Although AMC did have Breaking Bad, so maybe there's a chance.

Roastbeef

Banned
holy fuck! HOLY MOTHERFUCK!!!!!
if i see
the saint of killers executing god
on tv, i can die happy then and there

Akahige

He is a big fan of the comic so I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sam Catlin did write Fly & Crawlspace, I have no problem with him.

I can't imagine any scenario where this gets on TV without getting totally butchered in terms of content. There's way too much violence, sex, and all around weird shit for it to get okayed, even on AMC.

The violence isn't gonna be a problem, though. The Walking Dead shows that they'll be pretty lenient with that end.

soultron

Banned
I hope this is good. Preacher is like, the penultimate graphic novel for me, so I reaaaaally hope this is good.

Decado

Cool.

Let's come up with predictions on how AMC execs will fuck this up.

How can they *not* fuck it up? AMC is no HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, STARZ etc. Those are pretty much the only networks that could pull this show off...and even then the twisted sense of humour would probably go out the window.

I don't understand why AMC was even considered.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
...always envisioned Preacher as a HARD R rated project so maybe on HBO....maybe Starman is AMC or Animal Man....even HellBlazer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is perhaps the only comic book project ever that I will bitch about if it changes anything, and since a faithful adaptation is impossible (a story basically saying God is an asshole? Yeah right) I shall bitch about every little thing like there's no tomorrow. I'm sorry but I will, Preacher is probably my favorite piece of storytelling ever in any medium (which makes me a little fucked up I guess)

Lazyslob

Banned
Still want to read the comic. Also read other opinions that AMC isn't really a good place to really put on a show like this. More suited for something like HBO or Showtime.

Humperty dumperty-do!

This really isn't going to be like the source material, is it.

Oh well, may as well hold out to see if they'll include the Saint of Killers origin story.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This will, of course, be censored to a degree, but I don't think it will be to the degree that people think. I think they'll leave in most, if not all, of the religious stuff, as it'll generate a lot of controversy and I think that's exactly what AMC wants.

Mudcrab

No confidence in this. AMC managed to make the Walking Dead even less interesting than the comics, and PG-13 Preacher doesn't sound like it'll make for a very faithful take on the series.

Viewt

It's not so much the violence or the sex being toned down that has me worried - it's all of the religious content. Preacher is a searing indictment of religious institutions and I'm wondering if AMC is really ready for that fight.

This is awesome news!

I still get chills when I think about the
"...mom?"
moment about half way through the series. Cannot wait for the pilot.

It's not so much the violence or the sex being toned down that has me worried - it's all of the religious content. Preacher is a searing indictment of religious institutions and I'm wondering if AMC is really ready for that fight.

Yeah, I'll gladly sacrifice a guy having a sawfish shoved up his ass for pleasure if it means all the crazy religious stuff.

Garth Ennis' habit of including insane sexual fetishes for his "bad" characters has always been a part of his writing I could do with way less of.

Mudcrab

Can you imagine these goons not being absolutely foul-mouthed?

Preacher-Comic-Movie.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I just hope that when this inevitably comes out and bastardizes everything that Preacher is supposed to be about thematically and content wise because it's on AMC and not a channel that can actually host the type of gratuitous content that is within the comics, that someone else doesn't fear trying again in the future. And no, this is not a comic you can be faithful to if you remove that content as far as I'm concerned.

This is my all time favorite comic series so I'm really holding on tight for the legendary disappointment I am predicting myself to experience :(

massoluk

Banned
Thinking back. I'm not sure how I finished the series without throwing up once or twice.
Some absolutely gross stuffs in there involving the great Herr Starr

Mudcrab

I just hope that when this inevitably comes out and bastardizes everything that Preacher is supposed to be about thematically and content wise because it's on AMC and not a channel that can actually host the type of gratuitous content that is within the comics, that someone else doesn't fear trying again in the future. And no, this is not a comic you can be faithful to if you remove that content as far as I'm concerned.

This is my all time favorite comic series so I'm really holding on tight for the legendary disappointment I am predicting myself to experience :(

I'm actually not that worried about the themes being completely butchered as I think AMC could view the potential controversy as free marketing, not to mention the appeal said themes could have with the 18-35 demographic.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm actually not that worried about the themes being completely butchered as I think AMC could view the potential controversy as free marketing, not to mention the appeal said themes could have with the 18-35 demographic.

Honestly, I just think there's no way. I would love to be wrong, of course. Oh God how I would love to be wrong...

Part of the problem however is that the execution of many of these themes relies on the gratuitous violence, swearing, sex and warped theology. If you have to significantly reduce the cursing, for example, characters lose dimensionality to some of their major moments, the absurdity of some of the questions they're asking and how, the many ways in which it blatantly has contempt for many of its subjects. All of which relies on the venom so often seen in the comics.

We know won't be any extended fuck scenes with titties and frontal, which is the one thing I guess they could sort of get away with. But everything else... I mean, how will they deal with the <only read if you've read the comics>
retarded inbred descendent of Jesus? I don't think that is impossible for them to portray, but if they flinch at all it will lose its impact. They cannot change the essential details. For example, it wouldn't be good enough if there just existed a descendant of Jesus. He must be inbred, he must be mentally handicapped, he must look all sorts of fucked up.

I dunno. I am very apprehensive because I cherish this comic like an extension of myself, being one of the first things that a.) got me back into comics after superhero comics soured me once and for all and b.) was such a stunningly executed piece of work which forever made me a Garth Ennis fan

AMC managed to make the Walking Dead even less interesting than the comics, and PG-13 Preacher doesn't sound like it'll make for a very faithful take on the series.
Right there with you.

HBO was and is the only place it could have and should have gone.

Fusebox

Banned
Can't imagine them going as far as they need to go to be true to source. Sure they can have arseface looking right, sounding right, but will they have people vomiting at the sight of him?

Platy

http://collider.com/preacher-tv-news-evan-goldberg/

We just had a meeting with AMC and Garth Ennis, who’s the writer, and we all kind of seemed to agree that we’re gonna stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we’re not gonna change much, I hope. We’re just gonna do a little more of the preamble instead of doing flashbacks and restructure how we dole out the information a little, but we’re gonna [do the] same characters, same story, same ending. We’re gonna try to stick to Preacher as best we can.[...]
It should be an AMC show, that’s the proper way for it to get done… It’s too big; you can’t do that in a movie. It’s just too big. You’ve gotta learn the characters, it’s all about a love triangle and you need to grow with them and see the woman swayed one way or the other, and in a movie you just can’t accomplish all that.

ArseFace and Saint of Killer's introduction were made in flashbacks .... I RELLY hope they show then

http://collider.com/preacher-tv-news-evan-goldberg/

ArseFace and Saint of Killer's introduction were made in flashbacks .... I REALLY hope they show then

I hope they don't focus on the "love triangle" aspect to much...like having Tulip going back and forth between Jesse and Cass...because like..thats not really a thing at all. Its a situation thing with her believing Jesse is dead and partly due to Cass just keeping her drugged...but the second she sees Jesse, she doesn't even give Cass a second thought.

Really they don't pull a Walking Dead and stretch the fuck out of that.

Servbot24

Banned
Uh, what.

Staying true to source material from another medium isn't necessarily going to mean it will be a great TV show. If they have ways to make it better that's fine with me.

Decado

Started revisiting the comic books. The AMC adaptation will be a clusterfuck. There is no way they can pull off the dialog, let alone, well, the overall theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom