• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Rogen officially adapting ‘Preacher’ comic for AMC [Update: Series ordered]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Preacher deals with some pretty vulgar thins at times, and it's also blasphemous as all hell (no pun intended). It shows depraved people doing unthinkable things, it dabbles in the gray area of homophobia, and can be relentless at times with those things. Given that the walking dead TV show is a watered down version of the walking dead comics, it's not hard to imagine that preacher, an even harder comic than the walking dead, will see itself get neutered in all sorts of ways.

TWD to me is not comparable at all to Preacher. While both rely heavily on spectacle and shock value the reasons for doing so are completely different. TWD it is the point of the series, the plot and characters are merely vehicles to help move the story along from one shocking event to the next. Preacher on the other hand is the total opposite. The plot, characters and underlying themes and messages are the heart of the story where as the spectacle and over the top events are merely tools to lampoon and highlight this and a vehicles that often helps motivate those characters.

AMC's TWD has often stumbled because of it's attempts to added greater depth to those characters and events than what was present in the comics. Sometimes succeeding, but often stumbling and meandering unable to properly balance the fast paced action and gory setting with the human drama. So we get long drawn out seasons that spend too much time on something or spastic events that steamroll through things. If they could ever get the pacing down to properly balance out those two aspects of the show it would be so much better. But it's not like the comic is always that much better in that regard. The entire run has been a continual two steps forward three steps back situation where it's hard to see any real character progression at all.

Brandwin

I had never heard of this, but now I am interested to read it. I will have to figure out the best comic app to get this from.

Mudcrab

AMC doesn't have enough gun for something like Preacher. Should be on HBO if anything. I'd love to be wrong though.

soultron

Banned
Excite to read the update. I hope this goes well. Even thought I'm expecting it will be toned down a lot for TV, I'm excited to see it regardless.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea you're not going to see something like this on AMC.

14012422212_db6d97cfea_b.jpg

From what I read of Preacher having this on AMC is like having Scarface on a cable network. So much of what people love about it will probably be lost in translation because of what they will want to cut out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The only things AMC doesn't have are language (as in "fuck", they have all the other ones) and full frontal nudity. They do not censor their violence at all and they do have sex scenes and various adult situations (including attempted rape, little kids killing and dying, etc- TWD opened with the protag shooting a six-year-old's zombified corpse in the face).

I don't know anything about this comic (is it the same one that "Priest" movie a few years back was based off of? poor Karl Urban) but people saying AMC makes "PG-13" series are way off-base.

I don't care for Seth Rogen though.

Biggest reason people are wary of AMC taking on Preacher is that they've shown themselves to be pretty ball-less in regards to adapting The Walking Dead. The Governor arc being the most prominent example.

The yucky violence is there for zombie kills and the occasional human death, but as far as not being afraid what advertisers will think...haha no. They didn't even have the balls to let Rick say "...fucking with" in the Season 4 finale.

You don't have to read much Preacher to see what we're talking about. You can get Volume 1 for the cost of a fast food combo meal.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
While I definitely expect this to be watered down as all hell, I will forgive everything if I get to see the showdown at Monument Valley done justice. I'd also love to see the one off about Jessie's cousins be made into an episode, even if it will be neutered.

I wonder if they're going to plan this all out from beginning to end, or just do the pilot and wing it from there if they get a pick up. I would imagine AMC would want to know how they're going to handle some of the seedier/blasphemous parts of the story (which is pretty much everything. Pilot would be the tamest part of the whole thing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I wonder if they're going to plan this all out from beginning to end, or just do the pilot and wing it from there if they get a pick up. I would imagine AMC would want to know how they're going to handle some of the seedier/blasphemous parts of the story (which is pretty much everything. Pilot would be the tamest part of the whole thing.

I mean if AMC payed any attention to the failure of Constantine they need to realize they got to go all in (minus the F word' s and outright nudity of course). The only thing I could seriously see them skipping storywise
was Jesse's father war stories.

The guy from Constantine would make an excellent Cassidy.

Hurry up and get it cancelled, NBC!

not really

no, really

Emmett Scanlan, an Irish actor who is in The Fall and who plays the Spectre in Constantine, would be a great Cassidy I reckon. I fucking love Shane Vendrell, but he's too old for Custer. For me, he should play Jody.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Oh I'm aware. I've read it a few dozen times myself.

I don't think there's anything that's necessarily much worse than Walking Dead, for example
I never in a million years thought they would get away with the twins/sisters murder story but AMC let it slide.

Gore isn't a problem, but I guess some of the religious stuff may be iffy. Heck, they could probably let Meat Woman slide....probably not Jesus De Sade though.

oh sure, they could get away with the gore, but the outrageous depiction of religious characters would cause a banhammer so big not even the combined might of Evilore and Bish could ever attempt to lift. Probably not in America at least, but I suppose the rest of the world wouldn't be too keen about it either

Ridley327

Interesting casting decision for Tulip.

Early comic book spoilers:
I wonder if her race will make THAT moment a bit more inflammatory in terms of response. I'm not going to lie: I want the show to make it at least to season 2 to see how many people rage, and then the response to the following episode.

A_Gorilla

Banned
This is gonna such shit. I would say that no well in hell are they keeping the comic's ending (too many bible thumpers that'll be pissed off), but that would imply the show doesn't get canceled, which is the only outcome I can see...

Pachimari

errrr what? raina from agents of shield?
what's going to happen to her character now? :<
RIP Raina probably. Or she'll go away somewhere. Kind of sad with all of her characters build up in Agents of Shield.

I have never read Preacher but I'm gonna watch this, seeing that it is based off a DC property.

Pachimari

Do yourself a favor and read it. Skip the show while you're at it, no way it's not gonna be shit.
I'm really into TV shows now, so I'll watch. On the contrary, I have a hard time getting into comics, though I did just finish The Man Without Fear run and Civil War #1 and #2.

Interesting casting decision for Tulip.

Early comic book spoilers:
I wonder if her race will make THAT moment a bit more inflammatory in terms of response. I'm not going to lie: I want the show to make it at least to season 2 to see how many people rage, and then the response to the following episode.
I recently read the comic and I'm not sure what part you're thinking of.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Volume 2 spoilers:
Tulip getting shot and killed, and the subsequent resurrection care of God.

well, if they're skipping that because of racial reasons then there's zero hope for the show to be even remotely similar to the comic book

Pachimari

I'm going a little off topic here, but can someone in the know tell me if DC's Lucifer is based on the Lucifer in the Christian religion?

I might give the Preacher comics a go.

Fuuuuuuuck. I wanted this for so long, but not on AMC (I mean, Breaking Bad was fucking awesome, and I actually like The Walking Dead in the most recent seasons, but HBO is the place for something like this), and not with Seth Rogan writing it.

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom