• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Rogen officially adapting ‘Preacher’ comic for AMC [Update: Series ordered]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, what.

Staying true to source material from another medium isn't necessarily going to mean it will be a great TV show. If they have ways to make it better that's fine with me.

But like, its one thing to say that if they need to re-arrange how some of the info is presented in order to fit the medium of television. Its different to say "Pff fuck it, don't care if its anything like the original concept that people enjoyed so much and that original story being good in the first place is the only reason its being optioned at all, just make a good show and do whatever you want to it."

TheOddOne

It's happening.

- Empire: Preacher TV Series Pilot Shoots Next Year
US cable network AMC has officially ordered a pilot for the Preacher TV adaptation! “Wait,” we hear you ask, “didn’t it already order that?” And you might well think that, based on the story from more than a year ago. Now, though, it appears to be fully ready to shoot, with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg producing and directing the pilot.

Writing chores for the initial episode have been handed to Breaking Bad veteran Sam Catlin who will, should the series get a full order, serve as the man running the show.

And they have quite the job ahead of them, since Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s graphic novel series is not for the faint of heart, gut or moral fibre. Preacher is the sprawling tale of Jesse Custer, a handsome young Texas reverend with a dark past and a deep love of John Wayne films who becomes bonded with a creature known as Genesis, the offspring of an angel and demon. The blend at times makes him as powerful as God Himself, but also gives him real problems.

As Jesse, his ex-girlfriend (and assassin) Tulip and their new friend Cassidy (a vampire) try to figure out why he has this power and why God appears to have forsaken His kingdom, they cross paths with saints, serial killers and many, many inbred weirdoes. “Preacher has been our favorite comic since it first came out,” Rogen and Goldberg say in a statement. “Garth Ennis is one of our idols and it's an incredible honour to be working on this. We promise we won't make too many dick jokes and ruin it.” The pilot is scheduled to shoot next summer and if commissioned, the show will be on screens in 2016.

man, the comic can be a hard R at times, and nothing that's come out from AMC recently shows me they are willing to do something like Preacher without great compromises.
I can't comprehend Preacher working in any medium outside of comics.

premium cable networks could do it, like HBO and Showtime. I just don't trust AMC to handle it well, given how the Walking Dead has turned out.

hope the show is more Breaking Bad, Mad Men AMC, instead of The Walking Dead, Hell On Wheels AMC. a good mature Preacher adaptation with proper writing that draws good elements from the comic is all i want.

I can't comprehend Preacher working in any medium outside of comics.

Talk about a hard R.

It better be funny, though. Preacher was at times ridiculously funny. I always remember that scene where Arseface is happily mumbling away to his dad, Sheriff Root, through his terrible facial deformity, while Root is just sitting there stony-faced. Then the phone rings, the dad answers, and after a short silence, the dad says 'No, you ain't interrupting a goddamn thing'.

Gonzalez

Banned
Hopefully the reason they took so long was because they were waiting for The Undertaker to heal up from his Mania match so he can play the Saint of Killers.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
hope the show is more Breaking Bad, Mad Men AMC, instead of The Walking Dead, Hell On Wheels AMC. a good mature Preacher adaptation with proper writing that draws good elements from the comic is all i want.

Well Sam Catlin was an executive producer on Breaking Bad, as well as a writer of a few episodes and is penning the pilot and will be show runner if it's picked up. So I'd say there's a decent chance it will be more in the vein of the former than the latter.

Clegg

Wonder who they'll get to play Proinsias.

Can't think of any acceptable Irish actor. Some like Robert Sheehan or Domhnall Gleeson don't fit the role. Jamie Dornan maybe? Although he'd probably look too much like Custer.

Gonzalez

Banned
Michael Shannon would be the perfect actor to play Herr Starr. The man is like a Steve Dillon drawn character come to life.

8bit

Knows the Score
Wonder who they'll get to play Proinsias.

Can't think of any acceptable Irish actor. Some like Robert Sheehan or Domhnall Gleeson don't fit the role. Jamie Dornan maybe? Although he'd probably look too much like Custer.

Michael Smiley.

Clegg

^

I'm ashamed I never even thought of him. He'd be perfect.

spaced-tyres-traffic-o.gif

Gonzalez

Banned
Seth Rogen? ... okay

Why would Seth Rogen be out of place?

90% of Preacher is a tasteless buddies on the road action comedy. The other 10% that can be considered dead serious ties into
Cassidy's substance abuse problems

Language is very important though.
FX is able to get away with some incredibly raunchy dialog in shows like Sons of Anarchy. Obviously not the same channel, but the precedent is there if AMC chooses. Time slot is going to be very telling as to what they can get away with.

Double D

90% of Preacher is a tasteless buddies on the road action comedy. The other 10% that can be considered dead serious ties into

I'm with you. The comedic element seems like it would be hard to nail on screen while still balancing the seriousness and sometimes outright horror that happens in the book. This seems like a good group of people to try and pull it off. Ennis's involvement is huge as well.

bengraven

Mads Mikkelson - Starr
Aaron Paul as Arseface.
Rooker as Jody.
Goggins as Jody's chicken fucker sidekick.
M.C. Gainey - somewhere, anywhere, as any role

Fuck, I don't know, I'm halfway there...

Stet

Banned

I'm not arguing that it's not a comedy. It's just not Seth Rogen's brand of comedy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Michael Smiley.

Dude's great but way too old now. Cassidy was turned at like the age of 17 or so. Though he does look at least mid 20s if not roughly 30.

I hope they go for someone unknown, same for the whole cast. Get some people with a little experience to ensure quality, but not anyone very recognizable.

They better get the dialogue right too. Ennis wrote that dialogue to be spoken. They should pretty much use it word for word in most scenes. It's some of the best dialogue outside of a 90s Tarantino movie.

bengraven

i'm looking forward to whatever this show's equivalent to staying on the farm too damn long is. Because you know it's coming

Probably Tulip and Jesse at Grandma's. Which I would be kind of okay with. The most traumatizing issues of a comic ever.

"Reckon she likes the taste of evil dick now..."

Stet

Banned
I don't know, Pineapple Express to me fit that surreal dark violent action comedy that Preacher sometimes falls into.

Mostly I feel like Preacher is a comedy that lives by its words, but Rogen and company are comedians that live by their delivery.

It's a comic that straddles a REALLY thin line between clever and juvenile and luckily comes out on the right side, but with the wrong person at the helm it could go terribly wrong.

tcrunch

The only things AMC doesn't have are language (as in "fuck", they have all the other ones) and full frontal nudity. They do not censor their violence at all and they do have sex scenes and various adult situations (including attempted rape, little kids killing and dying, etc- TWD opened with the protag shooting a six-year-old's zombified corpse in the face).

I don't know anything about this comic (is it the same one that "Priest" movie a few years back was based off of? poor Karl Urban) but people saying AMC makes "PG-13" series are way off-base.

I don't care for Seth Rogen though.

The only things AMC doesn't have are language (as in "fuck", they have all the other ones) and full frontal nudity. They do not censor their violence at all and they do have sex scenes and various adult situations (including attempted rape, little kids killing and dying, etc- TWD opened with the protag shooting a six-year-old's zombified corpse in the face).

I don't know anything about this comic (is it the same one that "Priest" movie a few years back was based off of? poor Karl Urban) but people saying AMC makes "PG-13" series are way off-base.

I don't care for Seth Rogen though.

Preacher deals with some pretty vulgar things at times, and it's also blasphemous as all hell (no pun intended). It shows depraved people doing unthinkable things, it dabbles in the gray area of homophobia, and can be relentless at times with those things. Given that the walking dead TV show is a watered down version of the walking dead comics, it's not hard to imagine that preacher, an even harder comic than the walking dead, will see itself get neutered in a variety of ways.

In terms of 'meanness' I don't think Preacher is near Ennis' worst(best?)

'The Boys' takes that title.

The Boys is pretty bad but still manages to serve its purpose as a scathing superhero riff. Crossed is by far the most exploitative, "mean" thing Ennis has ever written. He got jealous of The Walking Dead and tried to one-up it and it's just awful and nihilistic in every way.

E the Shaggy

Why does everyone complain about censorship with this? Have you seen the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. There's some heavy shit in both of those.

Why does everyone complain about censorship with this? Have you seen the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. There's some heavy shit in both of those.

It's not the violence most people are worried about, it's the language and overt anti-religious content.

There's some pretty gnarly sex stuff too but like I said earlier in the thread I couldn't care less if they didn't have it.

In terms of 'meanness' I don't think Preacher is near Ennis' worst(best?)

'The Boys' takes that title.
I would imagine that some people could possibly get upset by what Saint of Killers ends up doing. ;-)

I'm more interested in who they get to direct these episodes compared to who are essentially the executive producers. Too bad Rian Johnson is wrapped up with Star Wars.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Mate, the heavy stuff in those cannot even begin to compare to Preacher's. There's basically every most disgusting human act ever there, let alone the religious themes which are both hilarious and incredibly offensive. There's no way they'll ever be able to make this a faithful adaptation

The Boys is pretty bad but still manages to serve its purpose as a scathing superhero riff. Crossed is by far the most exploitative, "mean" thing Ennis has ever written. He got jealous of The Walking Dead and tried to one-up it and it's just awful and nihilistic in every way.

I agree with this, I've bought nearly everything Ennis has done, I even paid through the nose for a copy of Troubled Souls. But I couldn't finish Crossed, I think I'm getting more sensitive in my old age.

E the Shaggy

Mate, the heavy stuff in those cannot even begin to compare to Preacher's. There's basically every most disgusting human act ever there, let alone the religious themes which are both hilarious and incredibly offensive. There's no way they'll ever be able to make this a faithful adaptation

Oh I'm aware. I've read it a few dozen times myself.

I don't think there's anything that's necessarily much worse than Walking Dead, for example
I never in a million years thought they would get away with the twins/sisters murder story but AMC let it slide.

Gore isn't a problem, but I guess some of the religious stuff may be iffy. Heck, they could probably let Meat Woman slide....probably not Jesus De Sade though.

E the Shaggy

It's not the violence most people are worried about, it's the language and overt anti-religious content.

There's some pretty gnarly sex stuff too but like I said earlier in the thread I couldn't care less if they didn't have it.

Yeeahh I guess the language can be pretty integral at points:

IE Jesse telling Arseface's dad to "Go fuck himself" using the voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom