• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several people, including law enforcement shot near Texas A&M University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Didn't the bbc do a report on mass killings and contacted someone inside the dod who said not to humanize the people that commit these acts because it just leads to more imitators?

Steelrain

Way too many shootings in such a short period of time.

Really getting out of hand.

It's been out of hand for a while now. Once the news stories move on to the next flavor of the month, there will still be mass shootings. No one gives a fuck and it sucks.

scy

This was a lot closer to campus. Also keep in mind that College Station is essentially the university. There's little else there.

\longhorn

Pretty much. This is across the street from the University basically :|

\aggie

Steelrain

I'm not sure what your point is now.

- That was reported.
- That happened three days ago. i.e., also after the Aurora incident
- It wasn't at or in the proximity of a university to warrant the same condition.

It was reported in Mass media? Not local? Really? Where?

It was near Temple. I can give you another mass shooting that happened in Germantown. Also, near Temple. Reported in local news, of course but Mass media? Nope.

Socreges

Banned
It was reported in Mass media? Not local? Really? Where?

It was near Temple. I can give you another mass shooting that happened in Germantown. Also, near Temple. Reported in local news, of course but Mass media? Nope.
You've lost track of what you were trying to say.

First off, you never specified "mass media". I replied to you, "There was a time when shootings at universities and movie theatres weren't reported?" and you sardonically replied, "Uh, yes".

If you want to say that your point this entire time has been about the mass media, then fine. Miscommunication. But:

Your initial point was that the reporting has changed recently because of Aurora. "Aurora is why these stories have hit the radar of major news more frequently the past few weeks." Yet your example for this was to post a shooting (that hadn't been reported in the mass media) from three days ago (Aug 10, 2012). That actually contradicts what you're saying.

Walshicus

Didn't the bbc do a report on mass killings and contacted someone inside the dod who said not to humanize the people that commit these acts because it just leads to more imitators?
Recommendation was to keep coverage local and to not focus on the perpetrators.

It's really important that we not 'politicize' this tragedy. We should give it at least a week before we do. At least a week.

(That way we can ensure another one will have happened and it will, once again, be too soon to 'politicize' these tragedies.)

Way too many shootings in such a short period of time.

Really getting out of hand.

Actually, the US averages a mass shooting damn near every week.

Theyre just not reported outside of local news because theyre so common.

Its like the way 30,000 americans are killed every year in car crashes. The news barely writes a sentence about them because they literally happen every hour.

ag-my001

Homeboyd's and mine as well.

Another board I'm on said that KBTX reported that a civilian died and that the shooter is dead now, too but I don't see it on there.

On the little insert to the left:

Currently:

Shooter in custody.
One officer and one civillian have died from injuries.
Two other officers received non-life threatening injuries.

ag-my001

Just saw their "social feed", now saying the gunman is dead. Probably why the police spokesman said they planned to have another conference in an hour, waiting on confirmation and background info on shooter.

Bgamer90

Banned
Actually, the US averages a mass shooting damn near every week.

Theyre just not reported outside of local news because theyre so common.

Its like the way 30,000 americans are killed every year in car crashes. The news barely writes a sentence about them because they literally happen every hour.

Yeah I definitely know.

I was just stating that the ones being reported on outside of local news is getting out of control as well. Sign of the times.

jagowar

Homeboyd's and mine as well.

Another board I'm on said that KBTX reported that a civilian died and that the shooter is dead now, too but I don't see it on there.

Mine too.... actually work full time on campus now (drove by the scene after lunch today.... as I'm sure you can imagine cops were everywhere).

Not that I'd believe the dallas news over our local one but they are saying the whole thing was over an eviction notice. http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Multiple-people-shot--166004076.html

ag-my001

Mine too, and I still live in the area :|

Was hoping it'd be like the previous ones with false sightings rather than a real shooting. Guess that was too much to hope for :(

Yeah, I was outside the Chemistry building in '09 showing around prospective grad students when the alarm (false) went out of a gunman in the Bum Bright building. Not fun.

KBTX said:
2:35 PM Update:
News 3 has confirmed that three people are dead following a shooting near Fidelity Street in College Station earlier today.

The College Station Police Department has confirmed that Brian Bachmann, Constable Precinct 1 Brazos County, has died. Police also say a male civilian was killed, and the suspect in the shooting has died.

CSPD reports that another officer was shot in the leg and is listed in stable condition. A female civilian is currently in surgery at St. Joseph Hospital in Bryan. Police say two other officers received non-life threatening injuries.

Mine too, and I still live in the area :|

Was hoping it'd be like the previous ones with false sightings rather than a real shooting. Guess that was too much to hope for :(

I'm in the metroplex now. Pretty sure homeboyd is too. I got locked down in Koldus during the false sighting in 2010. Provided GAF with updates too.

Was working in Blocker for the media center and had to get equipment out of Bum Bright too, that night in '09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom