• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several people, including law enforcement shot near Texas A&M University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omiee

Could you imagine this statement being made while we killed all the indians during the settlement of America.

I just really bad for all these innocent people that have been killed the last few weeks. OT gaf has been pretty hard to follow. I really hope this is the last in a long while.

The Lamp

That intersection is a few minutes away. We occasionally get scares like this but I don't think we've had an actual gunman hurt people on campus while I've been here, until now.

University of Texas had a shooting two years ago.

About two semesters ago there was a "gun scare" on campus but it turned out to just be a corps. of cadets member carrying one of their fake rifles or something.

inky

Are we a nation of gun nuts or are we just nuts?

Michael Moore's question still hasn't been answered.

The way he put it, seems to be more of a nation living in constant fear and pushed to the edge due to inequalities and such. Guns just make violence much more easy.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Seriously america whats up with this? This is like the 3rd or 4th event in a month now.

Our militia has the right to bear arms, don't mess with Texas!

Yeeehawwwwwww!

The Lamp

My facebook is blowing up with RIP notices for Constable Bachmann who apparently did die today's events. Not sure about anyone else or if it's true.

EDIT: turns out it's true.

ag-my001

The witness (was near the Tradition's on GB) that was on KBTX did say that there were reports of a woman shot twice in the back. Could be her.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Similiar thing happened near my house when a guy's wife left him, he lost his job, and then the police tried to serve him eviction papers. He ended up trying to burn the house down after threatening to shoot the cops (he didn't even have a gun). People reach a breaking point and crack sometimes.

Doesn't have to be guns. To reduce this tragedy into a gun laws debate is kind of trivial. I would prefer a discussion of getting help for people before things reach this point.

The Lamp

Yeah. You know what the answer to this rampant gun violence should be? MORE GUNS. Derp.

Let's not get into this. It's a culture thing as much as anything else. Almost every good-natured, peaceable person I know here owns gun(s) and knows how to use one in case they need to (although I don't).

ag-my001

Police back for another conference. Civilian killed was 65-year old man, woman shot is 55 and still in surgery.

Edit: Suspect was in mid-30s.

Guy was getting evicted and came out shooting, a girls mom from A&M pulled up as it was happening and got shot in her car. 2 dead mom is in critical.

Damn this sucks. I wish it was a false alarm like the Corps member with the fake rifle (which they might start cracking down on) or the situation at Wal-Mart a few months back where only the shoplifter was killed.

I am getting sick and tired of this shit happening. It's fucking madness to have so many shootings happen in such quick succession.

Wow. My brother goes to A&M and has an apartment near George Bush.

My mom knows the woman who got shot, hope she doesn't die. She was helping her son move in :/

Zoe

The guy didn't go walking into a crowd to create mayhem. This was an aggravated shooting out of his home due to an incident for which the cops were already on the scene.

Hale-XF11

Is it just me or is the gun violence (specifically attempted mass shootings) ramping up lately?

I thought I heard once a long time ago about how things tend to get weirder/crazier the closer we get to a major election. November is creeping up. Not that there's any direct correlation that we can see right away, but who knows.

SolKane

I work as a security guard and ever since hearing about the Aurora and Wisconsin killings I've been really freaked out going into work lately, never know what some deranged lunatic will try. Good thing I'm leaving that job.

ag-my001

Latest update:

KBTX said:
Three people -- a longtime law enforcement officer, the alleged suspect that started the violence and a possible bystander -- are dead following an afternoon shooting in College Station.

Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann died Monday after authorities say he was shot by Thomas "Tres" Caffall at a residence in the 200 block of Fidelity Street near the Wellborn-George Bush Drive intersection.

CSPD says Bachmann was delivering an eviction notice around 12:12 p.m. when Caffall opened fire. As police arrived on scene just minutes later, Caffall allegedly opened fire on them.

Officer Justin Oehlke with CSPD was shot in the calf. He underwent surgery as a result. CSPD's Brad Smith and Phil Dorsett also suffered injuries from shrapnel, but have been treated.

Approximately 12:40 p.m. as a News 3 crew arrived near the scene, a flurry of shots rang out in the area. Less than five minutes later, word was released that Caffall had been stopped by police. He would later die of gunshot injuries.

A pair of people, for now believed to be innocent bystanders, were also shot. Chris Northcliff, 43, was shot and later died. A woman in her early 50s was also hit. She underwent surgery at St. Joseph Hospital in Bryan and was last known to be in critical condition.

A motive for the shooting has not been released by police. Caffall is believed to have attended Bryan schools. He was 35 years old.

Note that the male civilian was previously stated to be 65 by CSPD; this has been corrected with the full ID.

Yeah I definitely know.

I was just stating that the ones being reported on outside of local news is getting out of control as well. Sign of the times.

Its the typical cycle, you see it with things like plane crashes, shark attacks etc all the time.

-Aurora shooting, mass hype, look at the GAF post count
-Temple shooting, big deal, but severely less interest, gaf thread half the size
-Texas shooting.......already on page two of gaf, small thread.

What happens is that as "interest" declines, media stops reporting and moves onto the next thing.

If they reported on next weeks shooting, it wouldnt even get 50 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom