• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordors true ending - Grinding or Lootboxes

Sadly this is the truth.

Just look all the Forza 7 reviews where loot boxes and gating content in general made the game worse only deserves a side note without any real impact on the scores by most.

NBA2k18 as well

The one review that really took them to task was asked to be reconsidered by the publisher.

It's almost like they wanted an end game for their game. Any action RPG with end game content is usually a grind.

Do you like to kill orcs? Do you want to keep killing orcs after the main campaign is over? Here's some shit to do after you 'beat' the game with a special ending.

It's quite shocking how people didn't expect an end game to be grindy for an action-RPG. This has been standard stuff for the genre since the 90's.
Having the endgame be grindy is ok, having it be grindy but with the convenient option of paying money to speed it up is gonna raise eyebrows.

Lord forbid I suspect that the game with lootboxes is trying to force people into buying them by locking away a true ending behind a boring grind that can be skipped if you spend enough money. Its ok though, the game was balanced without lootboxes in mind, we swear!

Jawmuncher

Sounds about what I expected. I figured the whole capturing bases thing would result in a kinda grindy game.
Don't like the loot box talk though.

I mean, is it really a grind if you enjoy playing?

If the only reason you're playing the game is to finish then I don't think you're playing games right.

The biggest issue I see with this is having some secret ending after completing the shadow wars stuff. Honestly though I somehow doubt it's all that great/important.

Ah the good ole "you're not playing right". Lame excuse will always be lame

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd be fine if this sold 0 copies and the studio closed down.

Cancer of the industry.
0e0.gif

(just replace EA with WB)
Posts like this are definitely a large part of the reason devs and journalists consider the community to be toxic.

Marcel

Good on the OP for fixing up the initial post so people can't continue to throw the same distractions
(TB)
into the discussion.

I like that there's actually something to grind for in the post-game. Gives a reason to keep hopping in to play beyond just itching the orc killing scratch.

I can definitely see that being appealing! Do we have the achievements/trophies for the game yet? Honestly I'd be more annoyed with trophies being locked behind that act/ending then just the ending. If I was super annoyed with the grind I'd just go watch it on Youtube.

I'm confused now though. Are people trying to say that the entire game is "grindy"? Most of the reviews I've read say there's plenty of varied activities in the main story. It's just the end-game stuff after you beat the main story that's less varied.

The witch hunt against this game is by now truly embarrassing. Not even actual confirmation on whether this is true or not but we have people hoping Monolith fails, accusations of all the press who gave positive votes being moneyhatted and so on.

Then we act all surprised when gaming communities are considered toxic.

I can definitely see that being appealing! Do we have the achievements/trophies for the game yet? Honestly I'd be more annoyed with trophies being locked behind that act/ending then just the ending. If I was super annoyed with the grind I'd just go watch it on Youtube.

I gotta admit, I love me a bit of grinding.

The worst thing for me in the first game was how stupefyingly easy it was.

Ah the good ole "you're not playing right". Lame excuse will always be lame

Yes, the concept that "if you are not enjoying the game you are playing then you should stop and do something else you enjoy" is always such an insidious idea to put forward. What villians come up with such ideas. Everyone knows you should play games like second jobs. Doesn't matter if you enjoy it or not.... they must be completed.

Marcel

The witch hunt against this game is by now truly embarrassing. Not even actual confirmation on whether this is true or not but we have people hoping Monolith fails, accusations of all the press who gave positive votes being moneyhatted and so on.

The comment that includes exact time of the grind is suspect but the rest of the reviews in the OP all mention the endgame being grindy and that getting legendary orcs in-game is a chore. If you have information that shows the opposite feel free to share it anytime.

The only thing left keeping $60 games from going full free to play mode is locking every ending behind a grind. First it was cosmetics, now it's "true endings", that'll be next.

Takuan

Might be in for $10. Main game seems decent enough. When I get to the end, I'll just look up the true ending on YouTube.

If you don't recognize the bribery that is occuring in most of the big publisher-big game media relations (when triple A games are involved) then you are the most naive person on earth.
And btw bribery doesn't have to only involve money.
I think he missed the two reviews confirming the fuckery. I can't fathom why he'd make that post, otherwise.

sublimit

Banned
Posts like this are definitely a large part of the reason devs and journalists consider the community to be toxic.

If you don't recognize the bribery that is occuring in most of the big publisher-big game media relations (when triple A games are involved) then you are the most naive person on earth.

Marcel

The only thing left keeping $60 games from going full free to play mode is locking every ending behind a grind. First it was cosmetics, now it's "true endings", that'll be next.

This already happened. Capcom carved the true ending out of Asura's Wrath and sold it as DLC.

Rowsdower

Got any links? I can't find anything that follows what you're saying about leveling Orcs to legendary or epic.

I'll try to find the streams in question, but i don't think anyone bothered to put those in writing.
First one coming to mind is the one from last friday, which talked about how to aquire legendary loot (and, by extension, seek out or train legendary orks) :
https://youtu.be/XUL8uJjwX5U

Another one covered some of the missions you can send your followers on, including pitfights, in order to level them up and eventally achieve epic or legendary status:
https://youtu.be/kuuCbqpCvHA

Another way to level your (enemy) orks are death threats, a quick-and-easy way to hunt down some epic gear (since epic orcs drop epic gear, same goes for legendary):
https://youtu.be/-uZ0QUCr8v0

Again, some of those streams are very long, and I know I can't expect the whole of GAF to keep up with monolith updates, but these things habe been known to the community for some time (by which I mean the reddit).

Asura's Wrath had the true ending locked behind DLC. You can thank Capcom for the forward-thinking decision.

EDIT: beaten LOL!

Just need to check out how many people who were editors before now work at publishers.

I just want to clarify something I said earlier, where I quoted from a comment on Eurogamer, rather than having that 40-50 hour grind quote attributed to any of the EG staff. I mean, I said that in the post too, but saw people misconstruing it later in the thread as 'Eurogamer said...' which isn't really correct.

Yes, the concept that "if you are not enjoying the game you are playing then you should stop and do something else you enjoy" is always such an insidious idea to put forward. What villians come up with such ideas. Everyone knows you should play games like second jobs. Doesn't matter if you enjoy it or not.... they must be completed.
Oh no, people are criticizing things. If you drop a game halfway through because you're not having fun due to something shitty in it, you should be 100% happy with your purchase and never voice your dissatisfaction to anyone.

brawly

I'm glad they made a complete waste of time even worse, because now I won't even attempt it.

Just youtube that 30 second clip.

Lady Gaia

I had started out only mildly interested in this game, but the enhancements to the nemesis system sounded truly intriguing. I was genuinely hyped and had it on my calendar with full intent to buy.

...until they started talking about loot boxes and I got cautious. I figured I’d wait for reviews to tell me how bad it was. Question answered. Instead of moving me from a $60 customer to $80+ as they had doubtless hoped, I’m now a $0 customer. I’m not paying for a story-driven experience only to be held hostage if I want to actually experience the full story and don’t have endless time to waste. I have better things to do with my time and money.

Orca

Just need to check out how many people who were editors before now work at publishers.

Yes, you've found them out. It's not that people who love games naturally follow a career path into the industry itself, it's that evil publishers promise them future careers if they deliver enough positive reviews.

Shouldn't be glossing over the fact that this all but confirms the multiplayer is pay-to-win since it's founded on the same game structure as the end-game. Highly suspected before since it's basically tower defence where you ca buy the best defences but certainly another stain on the name of the game.

There are 2 reviews in the OP that actually says its grindy and one Gamesradar article that talks about how to get legendary orcs.

They don't say that the game itself is grindy, just getting the true ending. Which is something that has been around for generations across multiple games. Whether it is collection hundreds of useless items/riddles to get final gear or cutscenes or accomplishing certain tasks in game in a certain manner. From PC to Console games, I found many titles that had this in the Action adventure and RPG segment. I personally don't like it, but to imply that this is a new issue brought about by MT's or this game in particular is a very skewed and incorrect idea.

The problem with MT and people against it, is that they are going on a bender, where EVERY game that has MT needs to be vilified and it is hard to go through numerous threads on gaf because there is no nuance for alot of posters. Discussion about implementation or labled MT versus lootbox. Can a game be good despite the MT and lootboxes?

It seems as if everything is taken to extreme and people are just angry all the time. It does seem toxic.

Oh no, people are criticizing things. If you drop a game halfway through because you're not having fun due to something shitty in it, you should be 100% happy with your purchase and never voice your dissatisfaction to anyone.

Nice try, but that is not what I implied. And since when is optional true ending a "halfway" point of a game?

Except that is not

m_dorian

So it seems that the game (or better a portion of it) IS balanced around loot boxes. And that particular grind flew under the radar of most reviewers.

But people put the blame on "haters" not the publisher and not the developer.

There are days like this one where i lose hope for humanity.

The comment that includes exact time of the grind is suspect but the rest of the reviews in the OP all mention the endgame being grindy and that getting legendary orcs in-game is a chore. If you have information that shows the opposite feel free to share it anytime.

Catherine is also grindy as fuck as you have to finish it multiple times to do all, but there's no such drama when stuff like this happens. A grindy ending could mean a 5 hours power levelling session or 100 hours. This thread was made as soon as an "anonymous" comment said something potentially negative about the game after this was already being discussed in at least 2 other threads. I know we love to jump to conclusions (remember the "no coop in Destiny 2 campaign" hysteria?), but I'd rather see actual discussions based on facts than uncertain info. I am not defending the loot boxes, but the reactions are pretty ridiculous.

Catherine is also grindy as fuck as you have to finish it multiple times to do all, but there's no such drama when stuff like this happens. A grindy ending could mean a 5 hours power levelling session or 100 hours. This thread was made as soon as an "anonymous" comment said something potentially negative about the game after this was already being discussed in at least 2 other threads. I know we love to jump to conclusions (remember the "no coop in Destiny 2 campaign" hysteria?), but I'd rather see actual discussions based on facts than uncertain info. I am not defending the loot boxes, but the reactions are pretty ridiculous.
Did you even read the OP?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Oh please. Gaming communities are considered toxic because of widespread harassment of women and minorities, and clueless entitled nerds who send vitriolic hatemail to developers because shadows render differently than in an E3 demo or because they nerfed their favourite gun.

Not because a big AAA game published by a wealthy publisher gets rightly criticized for its shitty business practices that actually affect gameplay.

SirNinja

.... and friends were calling me crazy when I was complaining about the micro transactions in destiny 2 and such, whose the crazy person now?

You are.

Destiny 2 hands those engrams out like candy. You can get nine free ones each week at triple speed, then as many free ones as you want after that at regular speed. I've never seen a single game disincentivize lootbox purchases more than D2.

The problem with MT and people against it, is that they are going on a bender, where EVERY game that has MT needs to be vilified and it is hard to go through numerous threads on gaf because there is no nuance for alot of posters. Discussion about implementation or labled MT versus lootbox. Can a game be good despite the MT and lootboxes?
Some people villify games with MTs and some don't. Some can look past it and some are bothered by it. Some look forward to what other people consider tedious grinds. And grinds when backed by premium MTX to bypass them tends to change the way they're viewed.

But you're right that there are different kinds of MTX schemes out there, which is why I'm trying to track down info, which hasn't been straightforward, nor covered all that well by many of the reviews. My personal assumption is that not all reviewers spent much time in the latter part of the game, but I don't know.

What I'm seeing more of is people getting on other people's case for having a problem with MTX but not so much the other way around where people are insulting those who might enjoy the game as reviewed. Why don't we let people make up their own mind?

Hahaha it's like the awful.Arkham Knight true ending unlock criteria, only now you can pay money to skip it. Fuck this game. Any game that is purposefully designed so that paying money to skip the grind seems appealing can get fucked.

Top Bottom