• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus hands on (progressive scan, 30+ minute game finale)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/wandaandthecolossus/preview_6129898.html

LOS ANGELES--One of the games that drew our attention for a good, long time at this year's G-Phoria awards event was Shadow of the Colossus, a cinematic PS2 action adventure game from the makers of 2001's memorable ICO. Like its predecessor, Shadow features some truly breathtaking environments and a keen attention to artistic detail and subtle storytelling. Unlike its predecessor, Shadow is very action-packed, focusing on dramatic confrontations with more than 15 different behemoths, each one more intimidating than the last. We got a chance to play the latest build of the game, which featured improved visuals and three different colossi battles, and came away with fingers crossed more tightly than ever in hopes that Shadow will live up to its enormous potential.

In the game, you play as a young boy on a quest to restore his love back to life. The only way to do this is to undertake a quest to rid the world of monstrous colossi that can be found roaming the environments. These enigmatic creatures do not immediately seem threatening, but defend themselves ferociously against their tiny assailant. Armed only with a magic sword and a bow, you must identify each colossus' weak points and figure out a way to strike at them until your foe is slain.

Shadow of the Colossus features a good amount of Prince of Persia-style platforming and exploration, but the gameplay will be focused on epic battles between you and your gigantic foes. The colossi look incredible. This time we got to see the minotaur and the knight colossi in action. You've seen these guys in the screenshots, but squaring off against them is something else. Their bodies move with unnatural grace and mass--Shadow of the Colossus does an absolutely stupendous job of rendering an appropriate sense of scale between you and your towering foes. The battle against the knight colossus was especially impressive and challenging. Bits of rubble stream off of the enormous creature as it winds up for massive, crushing swings with its sword-arm. These cause the whole screen to shudder violently, and leave huge craters in the ground.

The battles in Shadow of the Colossus are puzzle-like in nature, since you need to use your sword's magical beacon effect to first identify your foes' weak points and then to figure out a way to get up there. But there's plenty of pure reflex-driven action, too, as you struggle to keep your balance during the fight. A visual indicator shows how close you are to losing your grip. You need to rest up a little in order to attack and climb with your full strength, but as you recover your strength, the colossus might very well knock you off of its body and try to crush you.

The game isn't quite as punishing as it may seem. Long drops and crushing blows from thousand-ton stone swords don't actually prove fatal, and you restart the fight should you actually perish. Still, it's quite amazing and exhilarating to watch these battles pan out, since the animations just look so good. All the while, your character seems barely able to keep his grip, using his every ounce of strength and determination to assail his foe.

We noted some new and improved motion blur, particle, and filter effects in this version of the game, which gave Shadow of the Colossus the appearance of a fantasy film. In fact, we've never seen a game capture the look of celluloid quite like this one does. For good measure, we reconfirmed that the game will feature support for widescreen progressive-scan displays and surround-sound audio, which ought to ensure a stunning presentation. We also got a good earful of the game's symphonic score, which seemed to match the tone of the experience just right.

Shadow of the Colossus is scheduled for release in October, and we hope and expect it will be much more than just a collection of boss fights by the time it finally ships. The producer on the project left us with some tantalizing details: that a 30-minute ending sequence, along with a truly extraordinary (and extraordinarily long) battle leading up to it, should make for a satisfying conclusion, but that Shadow will also include unlockable extras, subtle connections to ICO, and other hidden secrets.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony is making September their month to remember. I will now declare the winner for month of September 2005 in videogames award goes to - Sony!!!

Who has a bigger month than them?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheJollyCorner said:
sounds great.... but, goddamnit, no more Sept. 20th release? :(
Whoa whoa WHOA...

This has changed? I had no idea. What is the current date?

This is FAR AND AWAY my most anticipated title for the rest of the year. I can't even begin to contain the excitement.

Every place I've checked still says 9/20. Where did they confirm a change?

that a 30-minute ending sequence, along with a truly extraordinary (and extraordinarily long) battle leading up to it, should make for a satisfying conclusion, but that Shadow will also include unlockable extras, subtle connections to ICO, and other hidden secrets.

This just made my day... or week, or something. SO AWESOME!! :)

dark10x said:
Whoa whoa WHOA...

This has changed? I had no idea. What is the current date?

This is at the end of what Wario posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is scheduled for release in October

...unless they are talking about the already known, delayed Japanese release, this leads me to believe they are also talking about the US version.

I know. I'm already pissed at the news/rumors that Advent Children's US release is no longer September 13th.
It seemed perfect to have AC and Colossus releasing within a week of each other...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Still, it's quite amazing and exhilarating to watch these battles pan out, since the animations just look so good. All the while, your character seems barely able to keep his grip, using his every ounce of strength and determination to assail his foe.
It's hard to explain this, but that's exactly what it looks and feels like when you play it.

jkooXL

I played it at Gphoria last night, (damn what a party) it looks good, pretty pixelly though. Hopefully it will look better in progressive scan. They are doing a lot of neat little touches with the graphics, lots of little things I haven't seen before, the way the screen zooms out into the map, little things like that, very classy. The animation on the horse is brilliant! The stateside producer is a friend of mine, he said the ending is indeed long and very challenging, I hope I can find time to properly go through this gem when it finally gets released! Playtime maybe double that of Ico?

I wonder just how massive the world is going to feel.
Are there suppose to be ruins/places you find with puzzles, or just a vast world with huge creatures roaming around that make up all of the puzzle aspects?

Now that I think about it, I really don't know too much about this game beyond some of the basic videos I've seen.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was starting to get very worried that this game wouldn't live up to its potential and be rife with problems (based on old E3 demos)... but this has alleviated my fears somewhat. I'm crossing my fingers!

dark10x

Are there suppose to be ruins/places you find with puzzles, or just a vast world with huge creatures roaming around that make up all of the puzzle aspects?

It is supposed to be a large, fully streamed world that integrates the platforming like puzzles from ICO into the environments. When you hold up your sword to the light, it points in the general direction of the next colossus. The demo had you ride across some plains before ending up at the base of a cliff. You have to climb your way up and around the cliffside before coming to the first colossus. Fighting each one is basically a puzzle as well.

The fact that it's one large world is very appealing. The sense of scale seems incredible as well, based on what we've seen.

that i dont read anything kasavin writes. except when he comes here to defend himself
He's one of the better "game journalists", though. I don't understand the problem. IGN's opinion is absolutely worthless due to their inability to do anything but hype and praise.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I played it at Gphoria last night, (damn what a party) it looks good, pretty pixelly though. Hopefully it will look better in progressive scan.
Yeah, there's some shimmering there for sure, but at least at E3 it was in huge part thanks to terribly chosen video setup - they ran the game in interlaced mode on large progressive scan LCD TVs. I'm not playing SOTC on anything other than my regular CRT with 21" screen. I'm even considering experimenting with downgrading to composite cables just for it - that's how I played ICO when I first got PS2, and the image quality never bothered me, the component cable blurriness may have even helped the game's looks (that's a big maybe though)

They are doing a lot of neat little touches with the graphics, lots of little things I haven't seen before
That's true too. They even achieved a HDR lighting effect in the game (faked of course, but it gets the job done surprisinlgy nice)

Ironclad

I'm definitely anticipating this. The impressions that came off the E3 build did worry me a bit, but the game sounds so promising. We'll see sooner or later. Dammit, it's going to be later due to the October release.

dark10x

they ran the game in interlaced mode on large progressive scan LCD TVs

Yikes, no wonder people were complaining. LCD TVs do such a terrible job with games that are not running at their native resolution...

I'm even considering experimenting with downgrading to composite cables just for it - that's how I played ICO when I first got PS2

Why would you do that? ICO ran in a very low resolution. SotC does not. It should look just fine.

Vard

tetsuoxb said:
This is my most anticipated game right now. That entire team is talented beyond belief.

Yeah, same here. It's a real bummer if it really gets delayed to October in the U.S.

Unison

Sounds awesome... I hope its framerate / control issues are fixed... Maybe i should go back and finish Ico.

dark10x

Unison said:
Sounds awesome... I hope its framerate / control issues are fixed... Maybe i should go back and finish Ico.

Maybe? MAYBE?! You should go home tonight and finish the game. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why would you do that? ICO ran in a very low resolution. SotC does not. It should look just fine.
I'll experiment, and see. I quite like how Ico looks with component cables on my TV, though - but that's not how I played it when I got it.

Unison

dark10x said:
Maybe? MAYBE?! You should go home tonight and finish the game. :)

I got stuck on some box puzzle & lost interest.

Also it looks like shit on my TV. I was told I should play it on an older TV so it looks better. :lol

dark10x

Marconelly said:
I'll experiment, and see. I quite like how Ico looks with component cables on my TV, though - but that's not how I played it when I got it.

I really don't think you can use one to judge the other, though. The resolution used by ICO is extremely rare on the PS2.

You'll want to use component for colors alone.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I share GameSpot's fear as well...I don't want it to be a bunch of boss battles. It may or may not work, but we'll have to wait and see.

dark10x

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I share GameSpot's fear as well...I don't want it to be a bunch of boss battles. It may or may not work, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's not as if these are boss battles in the traditional sense.

I think it's a brave approach to take and sounds very enjoyable.

I am gonna buy this on day 1! Ico is so awesome and this is gonna rock. I hope they fix the frame rate though! A solid 30 FPS would be awesome.

I literally quit playing ICO because I couldn't stand the pixels the size of postage stamps on my 53" TV.

I'll definitely give this game a rent.

dark10x said:
F*ck! If it IS October, it better be f*cking October 1st or something...

I still see Sep 20th at ebgames (whom I find is usually very up-to-date), but Gamestop told me Oct 4th when I pre-ordered on Monday.

jenov4

This is definitely going to be my GOTY! Can't fucking wait.

And ditto about the framerate stuff, I wonder if they'll improve on that

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also it looks like shit on my TV. I was told I should play it on an older TV so it looks better.

literally quit playing ICO because I couldn't stand the pixels the size of postage stamps on my 53" TV.
You should both at least give it a chance on some regular, interlaced CRT 20-27" TV. I can really see where your complaints are coming from, but don't let that stop you :( Find a friend or a cousin or someone who has such TV, and play there.

dark10x said:
It's not as if these are boss battles in the traditional sense

I know how it is. But I'm afriad that it will feel like boss battles in the traditional sense. That's what I'm saying. I admire the developers for doing what they're doing, but I'm not sure if it will work in their favor.

AssMan

Banned
Supposively, if you preorder the game, you get a demo next month. Also, OPM will have a demo of the game in the next issue.

I was lucky enough to experience a demo the other week and its already game of year for me.

But as much of an odd fit Ico was with the gaming masses, Shadow is about fifty times worse. With no enemies and only 16 (or 18?) beasts to take down, get ready for the "its too short!" and "its boring!" complaints to start flowing in when it comes out. :(

Marconelly said:
You should both at least give it a chance on some regular, interlaced CRT 20-27" TV. I can really see where your complaints are coming from, but don't let that stop you :( Find a friend or a cousin or someone who has such TV, and play there.

I felt the same way--it looked so pixellated I had trouble playing. What I did is split-screen my input and play in a smaller window! Looks great if you shrink it a bit. :lol

AssMan

Banned
But as much of an odd fit Ico was with the gaming masses, Shadow is about fifty times worse. With no enemies and only 16 (or 18?) beasts to take down, get ready for the "its too short!" and "its boring!" complaints to start flowing in when it comes out. :(

Uh, if you loved ICO, which is what the case is here from the replies, then you'll love this game.

ToyMachine228 said:
I know how it is. But I'm afriad that it will feel like boss battles in the traditional sense. That's what I'm saying. I admire the developers for doing what they're doing, but I'm not sure if it will work in their favor.

I was under the impression there was some traditional Ico like platforming elements in between the Collossi battles, but maybe not (15 of them sounds like a lot of game). In some of the early preview shots there were intricate cliffs and ruins "blocking the path", that looked rather Ico esque to me. We'll see how it plays out.

dark10x

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I was under the impression there was some traditional Ico like platforming elements in between the Collossi battles, but maybe not (15 of them sounds like a lot of game). In some of the early preview shots there were intricate cliffs and ruins "blocking the path", that looked rather Ico esque to me. We'll see how it plays out.

There ARE lots of platforming elements present as you cross the world. You don't just go from boss to boss in an instant. You actually have to move through the world to find them. The journey across the world is then filled with lots of environmental challenges.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AssMan said:
Supposively, if you preorder the game, you get a demo next month. Also, OPM will have a demo of the game in the next issue.

i never understood the "preorder game x, get a demo of x." i know it's to boost preorder numbers, but shouldn't the demo discs go out to the people who are not preordering/buying the game? kinda pointless to only give it to people that are gonna buy the game in the first place

Wario64 said:
i never understood the "preorder game x, get a demo of x." i know it's to boost preorder numbers, but shouldn't the demo discs go out to the people who are not preordering/buying the game? kinda pointless to only give it to people that are gonna buy the game in the first place

Yeah, you'd think you'd get a demo of a different game from the same publisher. Maybe they expect you to give or show the demo to friends?

Agent X

Wario64 said:

Leondexter had a good point about possibly showing the demo to friends, which would hopefully drum up more interest in the game.

One thing I'd like to see game producers try (which you very rarely see on consoles) is to distribute a demo which not only lets you play a portion of the beginning of the game (the first level or two), but also allows you to save your progress. This way, when you get the complete game, you will have already completed that portion of the game, and can resume right where the demo ended. This may even help spur interest in convincing people to preorder, since they could get a headstart on the game before everyone else.

Mrbob

Wait, wait wait. GAF crushes MGS3 for long cut scenes, yet we rejoice at a 30 minute ending for Collassus? :)

Anyway, can't wait to play this game! :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:
Wait, wait wait. GAF crushes MGS3 for long cut scenes, yet we rejoice at a 30 minute ending for Collassus? :)

if it makes me cry like ICO, rather than fall asleep or get a headache like MGS, then I will be rejoicing.

Culex

Banned
Mrbob said:

Anyway, can't wait to play this game! :D

There's nothing wrong with a very long ending scene, as it doesn't detract or break up the overall gameplay experience.

Top Bottom