• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus hands on (progressive scan, 30+ minute game finale)

Agent X

distantmantra said:
Perhaps the demo is different from the finished game, just like the Ico demo scenario was radically different from the final product.

Please explain this. I've completed Ico, but I've never seen the demo.

Agent X said:

There was a demo of Ico that came out on a Sony Jampak compilation prior to the game's release, and I played the hell out of it in anticipation for the full game. In the demo, you free Yorda from her cage and then have to navigate thru the windmill puzzle, but the events leading to Yorda being freed are different, and the windmill puzzle is completely different. It's worth tracking down if you're a big Ico fan.

Agent X said:

The ICO demo was on a summer jampack disc and came out in June 2001 IIRC. But yeah the demo was much, much different then the final product. I don't remember that much from it but I know one of the places you visited was the windmill. But atfer you completed the windmill part you go into a totally different area.

And wow this is great news. Can't wait to see what some of the ties are to ICO.

Lately I've found myself just playing the trailers to listen to the music.

distantmantra said:
There was a demo of Ico that came out on a Sony Jampak compilation prior to the game's release, and I played the hell out of it in anticipation for the full game. In the demo, you free Yorda from her cage and then have to navigate thru the windmill puzzle, but the events leading to Yorda being freed are different, and the windmill puzzle is completely different. It's worth tracking down if you're a big Ico fan.

Yup that was it. Like right after you get Yorda you are in the windmill place.

I actually should track a copy down just to try it out again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The demo of ICO was pretty much a collection of several completely different rooms placed together. They were pretty similar, but the puzzles were modified a bit.

The windmill played differently, as has been noted, but the room with Yorda's cage was also different in that you did not need to climb to the top of the tower (her cage was already lowered and awaiting your jump).

This game is up for pre-order on Amazon.ca for $32 CDN; so if the game comes out at regular price ($50 like most new releases) then that is a pretty good deal. I already placed an order, can't wait till September! :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wait, wait wait. GAF crushes MGS3 for long cut scenes, yet we rejoice at a 30 minute ending for Collassus?
Game finale could mean the gameplay sequence that lasts that long, not just the ending cinematic.

Raven.

Banned
I must say this game's on my must buy list, Ico was one of the few MASTERPIECES of this gen, heck of all time.

The demo of ICO is worth tracking down just to hear the ending music in the demo.
If I'm not mistaken that music isn't even in the final game, which is a tragic loss.

Marconelly said:
I'm even considering experimenting with downgrading to composite cables just for it - that's how I played ICO when I first got PS2, and the image quality never bothered me, the component cable blurriness may have even helped the game's looks (that's a big maybe though)

Sounds like the TV's Sub Sharpness is turned up past 0. ICO is far cleaner with Component than with composite. If you have a service manual for your TV try and find all the sharpness settings for the component inputs and turn them as far down as they can go.

Still, the game does come off looking more interlaced than it should.

They even achieved a HDR lighting effect in the game (faked of course, but it gets the job done surprisinlgy nice)

I was wondering when they were planning on doing this in a game.
I assume deffered shading and lighting like ICO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you have a service manual for your TV try and find all the sharpness settings for the component inputs and turn them as far down as they can go.
Good idea, another thing to try.

I was wondering when they were planning on doing this in a game.
It was used in E3 demo. Just as an example, if you look at the ground, and then quickly up in the sky, you get the glaring white all over the view for a moment before the glare fades away, the simulate the eyes adjusting to light.

I'm not sure what they did in Ico, what exactly is deferred lighting and shading?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
MidgarBlowedUp said:
The demo of ICO is worth tracking down just to hear the ending music in the demo.
If I'm not mistaken that music isn't even in the final game, which is a tragic loss.

Just a guess, but could that be the same song that plays during the demo video in the complete game (if you leave the game on for a while at the title screen, I think?).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kiriku said:
Just a guess, but could that be the same song that plays during the demo video in the complete game (if you leave the game on for a while at the main menu, I think?).
The song that plays at the end of the demo (during a movie trailer) is the ending theme (Were you there?). Not only is it in the full game, but it is one of the most skillfully positioned pieces of music I've encountered in a game. The way it is used during the ending sequence left quite an impact...

The version in the demo is not the complete song either (it simply begins playing in the middle).

Since we are on the topic of ICO can someone please explain the ending to me. It's always confused me:

So did ICO and Yorda survive? Because I've read one FAQ and it says that they both died in the castle and thats just them in the afterlife. Anyone know the true answer?

The_Sorrow said:
Since we are on the topic of ICO can someone please explain the ending to me. It's always confused me:

So did ICO and Yorda survive? Because I've read one FAQ and it says that they both died in the castle and thats just them in the afterlife. Anyone know the true answer?

Unless the Japanese novels address this, I don't think there is an answer to this question. It's simply left up to each of us to decide on our own.

distantmantra said:
Unless the Japanese novels address this, I don't think there is an answer to this question. It's simply left up to each of us to decide on our own.

Hmmm what a great way to end a game. I actually kind of like the theory that I had in my previous post.
But in the PAL version there are watermelons on the beach and you can eat them with Yorda. So that could maybe dispell that theory.
Maybe some of the questions will be answered in SotC? :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:
The song that plays at the end of the demo (during a movie trailer) is the ending theme (Were you there?). Not only is it in the full game, but it is one of the most skillfully positioned pieces of music I've encountered in a game. The way it is used during the ending sequence left quite an impact...

The version in the demo is not the complete song either (it simply begins playing in the middle).

Oh OK, I interpreted it like the song wasn't in the complete game. And I agree, the song is beautiful. :)

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:

So true. I've never cried in a game (MANLY MAN olol), but that by far left the biggest emotional impact on me. Such is the power of music when used right. So few games utilize it in an effective manner.

Amir0x said:
So true. I've never cried in a game (MANLY MAN olol), but that by far left the biggest emotional impact on me. Such is the power of music when used right. So few games utilize it in an effective manner.

I agree.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So that could maybe dispell that theory
Not really. That was placed more as goof/fun thing to do on a second playthrough, along several other such things added on a second playthrough (like lightsaber). Ueda's word on the subject was that they intentionally left the ending open to interpretation, whether they are alive or not.

And on this subject, Metal Gear Solid 3 also had great use of music!
Hellz yeah, that ending song in MGS3 was masterfully chosen.

Kiriku said:
Just a guess, but could that be the same song that plays during the demo video in the complete game (if you leave the game on for a while at the title screen, I think?).

Nope, that isn't it either.
In issue 49 of OPM the ICO demo ends with some very pretty music.
There is a girl singing but I can't make out the words.

It might be at the end of the game, I'm not sure it's been a long time since I've completed it.
*edit*
See Dark's post.

Marconelly said:
Good idea, another thing to try.

It was used in E3 demo. Just as an example, if you look at the ground, and then quickly up in the sky, you get the glaring white all over the view for a moment before the glare fades away, the simulate the eyes adjusting to light.

I'm not sure what they did in Ico, what exactly is deferred lighting and shading?

You should also pick up a Digital Video Essentials disk. It's very handy when calibrating a TV and is the only real way for the general public to do it. It's worth getting the blue filter for setting your colors alone.

And I'm not sure what deferred lighting and shading actually is. I'm not the right person to be asking that, especially with much more intelligent people on this forum. I know it is a "cheaper" way to do per pixel lighting, especially on PS2. And it offers full floating point precision which is supposed to be something that Xbox pixel shaders lack.

Isn't HDR 128bit precision though?
I think deferred lighting and shading only allows for 32bit precision.

I don't know, I just hope the game looks good.

dark10x said:
F*ck! If it IS October, it better be f*cking October 1st or something...
The latest official release dates from SCEA PR (as of this afternoon, at least) are:

Genji: Dawn of The Samurai - September 20
Shadow of The Colossus - October 18

jett

D-Member
Those vids were awesome...the animation has been GREATLY improved from the E3 demo...and it seems that the controls flow way more smoothly now, too. Can't wait for this potential best game ever...

Ironclad

Damn, that looks great. The framerate has been greatly improved and that horse moves beautifully. The ending with the main character on the colossus was rather awkward but that can be worked out. I need this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Unbelievable. The improvement in that video is vast from what I saw at E3. Everything is incredible. The animation is out of this world on the horse. And the sense of scale is fucking mind blowing. When Wanderer and his horse gallops into the field before he fights the one colossus, the architecture is enormous and towering. I'm blown away.

Anticipation +100

MadFuzzy

The LOD handling still REALLY needs a lot of work (you can see the scenery "popping in" quite a lot and quite blatantly in both of those new battle videos). I really hope it's more than a procession of boss battles...

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
If those are just regular bosses or whatever, I'm fucking terrified of the final battle.

It'd be really funny to me if the last boss was behind this huge locked gate, and as you approached it the whole thing collapsed. And the player is sitting there like 'oh fuck, this is it.' And then the camera pans down and at the base of the rubble is a small little boy who's like 'you destroyed all my colossus! You'll pay for this!'

And then you gotta fight the little boy and that's the end.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MadFuzzy said:
I really hope it's more than a procession of boss battles...

IT is. It actually is a search/reach/destroy kind of thing. You have to figure out where the colossi are (not difficult - just rise the sword) and then reach them (which implies Ico-style platforming - as u can see before the first boss fight). The latter mechanics are supposed to get more and more complex as you progress into the game. There may even be some environmental puzzles to solve in order to reach latter colossi.

What I'm really curious about is what happens AFTER you kill one colossus. Will you "respwan" at the temple or are u supposed to get back to the main land by foot?

MadFuzzy

TTP said:
IT is. It actually is a search/reach/destroy kind of thing. You have to figure out where the colossi are (not difficult - just rise the sword) and then reach them (which implies Ico-style platforming - as u can see before the first boss fight). The latter mechanics are supposed to get more and more complex as you progress into the game.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage, but it seems that the team seems really paranoid about showing anything other than fighting the same bosses at this stage.

I get the feeling (from what I've seen of it) that anyone who is expecting it to have the same degree of puzzle elements as Ico might be disappointed, as the focus seems to be firmly on finding and fighting the collossi (this is all personal opinion tho). The production design is very, very nice though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MadFuzzy said:
I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage, but it seems that the team seems really paranoid about showing anything other than fighting the same bosses at this stage.

I get the feeling (from what I've seen of it) that anyone who is expecting it to have the same degree of puzzle elements as Ico might be disappointed, as the focus seems to be firmly on finding and fighting the collossi (this is all personal opinion tho). The production design is very, very nice though.

well, of course the colossi are the main part. This is not Ico 2 and I'm sorry for those who expect it to be like that with just some bosses added to the mix.

But you have to think of the colossi as living levels themselves. Platforming and puzle solving takes place onto them, around them. It's not just a matter of hitting mindlessly the weak spot. It's a matter to reachin' it. And this seems to require brain more than strenght. as you can notice looking at the first boss fight, there is a point where u gotta figure out how to climb the left leg of the monster. How to reach his ass, basically. Here comes the puzzle part where u have to bring the big guy to his knee so that you can reach the ass.

I expect this kind of "living puzzles" to be a central part of the colossi climbing. I cannot even imagine how I'm supposed to reach the flying ones o_O. That's gotta be cool to figure out.

You may also notice that there is some kind of fatigue meter monitoring your performance. I guess you are gonna need to take a rest somewhere on the colossi from time to time if u wanna proceed climbing it.

And then there seems to be same secrets. There is something on the back of the 1st colossus right arm. Looks like another weak spot but from my exp with the E3 demo there is not need to hit the thing there. What's that for?

Lastly, they are showing "the same bosses" because showing more would spoil the game. There are gonna be 16 colossi to fight IIRC.

Amir0x

Banned
TTP said:
well, of course the colossi are the main part. This is not Ico 2 and I'm sorry for those who expect it to be like that with just some bosses added to the mix.

But you have to think of the colossi as living levels themselves. Platforming and puzle solving takes place onto them, around them. It's not just a matter of hitting mindlessly the weak spot. It's a matter to reachin' it. And this seems to require brain more than strenght. as you can notice looking at the first boss fight, there is a point where u gotta figure out how to climb the left leg of the monster. How to reach his ass, basically. Here comes the puzzle part where u have to bring the big guy to his knee so that you can reach the ass.

I just LOVE the concept. It's extremely original and gutsy, in my view, and I can't wait to see it come together.

TTP said:
I expect this kind of "living puzzles" to be a central part of the colossi climbing. I cannot even imagine how I'm supposed to reach the flying ones o_O. That's gotta be cool to figure out.

From watching the videos, it seems you have to actually catapult yourself from your horse off a cliff at one point in time to grab onto the back of the flying colossus. It looks so incredible.

TTP said:
You may also notice that there is some kind of fatigue meter monitoring your performance. I guess you are gonna need to take a rest somewhere on the colossi from time to time if u wanna proceed climbing it.

That's the plan. If you're totally fatigued and the beast shakes, you're gonna fall off.

Yusaku

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Nope, that isn't it either.
In issue 49 of OPM the ICO demo ends with some very pretty music.
There is a girl singing but I can't make out the words.

It might be at the end of the game, I'm not sure it's been a long time since I've completed it.
*edit*
See Dark's post.

The island bathes in the sun's bright rays
Distant hills wear a shroud of grey
A lonely breeze whispers in the trees
Sole witness to history

Fleeting memories rise
From the shadows of my mind
Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors
Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors
You were there
You were there