• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus hands on (progressive scan, 30+ minute game finale)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just noticed this on that 1up page:

"The long-awaited follow-up to cult classic ICO, starring a horse-riding girl and her massive iron companion."

a girl? Do they really think he's a girl? -_-;

Mau ®

OMG That was AWESOME!!! The world just feels gigantic, the horse animation was just otherworldly, the isolated atmosphere while exploring is perfect, the colussus battle it felt so challenging.

The whole thing screams GOTY contender!!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaCruZer said:
except that the horse's name is not epona in TP.
Perhaps they'll use Link's voice actor from the fantastic Zelda animated series and find an appropriate name to fit that wonderful voice?

'Well excuuuuuuuuse me Princess, but I gotta go take a ride with Horse Dude'

SantaC

dark10x said:
Perhaps they'll use Link's voice actor from the fantastic Zelda animated series and find an appropriate name to fit that wonderful voice?

'Well excuuuuuuuuse me Princess, but I gotta go take a ride with Horse Dude'

I don't remember his name, but Cynthia Preston was ace.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SantaCruZer said:
except that the horse's name is not epona in TP.

But I remeber seeing a video from the E3 demo where "Epona" was mentioned. Maybe they called the horse Epona in the demo build just to give showgoers a nostalgic cookie?

TTP said:
But I remeber seeing a video from the E3 demo where "Epona" was mentioned. Maybe they called the horse Epona in the demo build just to give showgoers a nostalgic cookie?

Yeah, at E3 the horse's name was Epona. Nothing wrong with that; I mean, come on, how many guys are named Link and end up saving the world? :)

Buggy Loop

I love ICO and this looks amazing, the scope of the world, the animation, the music.. :eek:

But i havent really been following the story, whats his motive to kill the poor giants, there's a cool giant passing by and he goes to slaughter it, swinging his sword throught his skull even, what did that giant ever do to him? :( Its badass and all to kill something as big as these giants, even epic, but i hope there's more behind the story, what motivates him to risk his life to kill them.

Progressive scan + 16:9 (unless 1up stretched it but it doesnt look stretched to me) makes me so happy. Sony's 1st party studios have been kickass lately, GOW was also progressive & widescreen.

Super-duper Can't Wait Excitement.

I loved the part where he is standing up on the horse, reins in hand, ready to make a flying leap onto the Collosus.

Also the part where the second Collosus is trying to shake him off, and I can just imagine trying to hold onto the controller for dear life :)

What a wonderful concept; what a beautiful execution. October can't come fast enough.

But i havent really been following the story, whats his motive to kill the poor giants, there's a cool giant passing by and he goes to slaughter it, swinging his sword throught his skull even, what did that giant ever do to him? :( Its badass and all to kill something as big as these giants, even epic, but i hope there's more behind the story, what motivates him to risk his life to kill them.

From what I understand, the only way to save his true love is to kill these giants and get their power. Just like the bitter-sweet feel of ICO, I think the developers are purposely trying to get you to regret killing these amazing creatures. And, just like ICO, truly feel an emotional reaction to what you are doing...

Vard

Buggy Loop said:

There's some girl he loves (you don't know whether she's a girlfriend, wife, sister, or a friend) who is in some kind of coma thing. She might even be dead, I'm not really sure. Either way, she's not moving. Legend has it that if you awaken the 16 Colossi and destroy them, your loved one will come back to life. That's why he's doing it.

Also, on several sites I keep seeing 10/18 as the release date.

Buggy Loop

Cool

Im so getting this game, i keep rewatching the 1up movies, the horse riding on that huge field looks AWESOME :eek:

Any videos like these for the flying colossus?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
btutterrow said:
From what I understand, the only way to save his true love is to kill these giants and get their power. Just like the bitter-sweet feel of ICO, I think the developers are purposely trying to get you to regret killing these amazing creatures. And, just like ICO, truly feel an emotional reaction to what you are doing...

Yeah, IIRC the giants have been around for thousands of years and are rather peaceful creatures. The game is about the main character desperately looking for a way to resurrect his big love who recently passed away...and he finally founds a way, but it means killing every colossi to bring back one human life.

btutterrow said:

awesome... never even thought of it that way. That does make the emotional aspect all the more important.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kiriku said:
Yeah, IIRC the giants have been around for thousands of years and are rather peaceful creatures. The game is about the main character desperately looking for a way to resurrect his big love who recently passed away...and he finally founds a way, but it means killing every colossi to bring back one human life.

I swear man even the cliff notes to the storyline in this game is great.

teiresias

OMG, the first 1up movie is freaking incredible. I downloaded the WMV, are the huge quicktime files any good? My download speed is horrid, it would take forever to download them.

The music, the animation, the whole feel of the game even from the first vid is just MASSIVE!! I loved the music when he fell the collossus!!! This is how to make a game grand, mature, and immersive - not ripping off LoTR designs.

Is it too early to request a remake of this game, built from scratch for the PS3??!!! :lol

Progressive scan + 16:9 (unless 1up stretched it but it doesnt look stretched to me) makes me so happy

I'm pretty sure they stretched it, the "Strain Gauge" or whatever looks more oval than round, and in the first video you'll note that when he defeats the collosus and starts the little in-game cinema that black bars appear. If the game were already running native 16:9 I doubt the black bars would appear.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Nope, that isn't it either.
In issue 49 of OPM the ICO demo ends with some very pretty music.
There is a girl singing but I can't make out the words.

Actually google says thats a boy singing. :) Steven Geraghty of the St. Philip's Boys' Choir to be exact. http://www.boysoloist.com/artist.asp?vid=167
The Ico soundtrack is referenced down the page.

Indeed, the castle crumbling to that ballad is one of the best (if not the best) composed scenes musically and visually Ive ever seen in game.

I wonder if the Choir is going to be involved with the Shadow soundtrack as well? I doubt the same kid could still hit those notes, heh.

Anyone else incredibly excited to see how they are going to relate this to ICO?

I am wondering if it is just a little cameo type of thing, or they will merge the two storylines.

Maybe indicate that they both take place in the same world, or something even more... ??

It would be cool to have an unlockable mode where you can play as Ico and have to save Yorda's life.

Wouldn't it be cool if the female character of this game turns out to be the evil queen of ICO? So by saving her, you are basically setting up the story for ICO? Not likely, but it would be neat :)

SantaC

TTP said:

you can name the horse anything you want

btutterrow said:
Anyone else incredibly excited to see how they are going to relate this to ICO?

I am wondering if it is just a little cameo type of thing, or they will merge the two storylines.

Maybe indicate that they both take place in the same world, or something even more... ??

It would be cool to have an unlockable mode where you can play as Ico and have to save Yorda's life.

Wouldn't it be cool if the female character of this game turns out to be the evil queen of ICO? So by saving her, you are basically setting up the story for ICO? Not likely, but it would be neat :)

you're on a role, man. Wonderful speculation... and I agree, not likely, but would be a fantastic scenario. :)

you're on a role, man. Wonderful speculation... and I agree, not likely, but would be a fantastic scenario.

HA! I could talk all day about ICO. It is really more of an unhealthy obsession than anything else :D

Something would have to indicate why the Queen was creating a new princess to use to attain everlasting life, and why there was potentially a prophecy concerning the horned boys that would defeat her. The fact that she dies/almost dies and gets brought back by the main character in Shadows could explain the reason for her unnatural power, but how they would explain the rest is beyond me... Obviously, this is probably not going to happen, but I can't think of any other easy way to relate the two stories and not just the environments.

Stench

Banned
1up clip 2, at the 2:37 point. Right when he grabs onto the Colossus and starts climbing up.

That moment just sold me the game.

teiresias

Stench said:
1up clip 2, at the 2:37 point. Right when he grabs onto the Colossus and starts climbing up.

That moment just sold me the game.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide if the person playing the game just timed it extremely right or if the music is cued and dynamically changed depending on how far you get to the collosus. It's awesome if it's cued to happen the minute you grab onto it, but I'd imagine it would get old if you fell off a number of times and everytime you started climbing back up the music cued in the same way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
teiresias said:
Yeah, I'm trying to decide if the person playing the game just timed it extremely right or if the music is cued and dynamically changed depending on how far you get to the collosus. It's awesome if it's cued to happen the minute you grab onto it, but I'd imagine it would get old if you fell off a number of times and everytime you started climbing back up the music cued in the same way.

I think it's just a coincidence or something like that. I mean, if that was the case, the same should happen with the 1st colossus too.

Vard

TTP said:
I think it's just a coincidence or something like that. I mean, if that was the case, the same should happen with the 1st colossus too.

Yeah, I highly doubt these guys would let something slip like that. They seem to know what they're doing, and I'm sure they'd be able to figure out that the music shouldn't be cued each time you get on a colossus.

I wasn't a big fan of Ico (the gameplay, anyway), but I have to say that Shadow of the Colossus looks fantastic. Hopefully it plays as good as it looks.

lunlunqq

In case you did not notice... next month's OPM demo disc will feature a playable dome of Shadow of the Colossus... can't wait... even for the demo... :D

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Actually google says thats a boy singing. :) Steven Geraghty of the St. Philip's Boys' Choir to be exact. http://www.boysoloist.com/artist.asp?vid=167
The Ico soundtrack is referenced down the page.

Indeed, the castle crumbling to that ballad is one of the best (if not the best) composed scenes musically and visually Ive ever seen in game.

I wonder if the Choir is going to be involved with the Shadow soundtrack as well? I doubt the same kid could still hit those notes, heh.

hehe, Castrati's are still around I guess?

Top Bottom