• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game orc slayer

J4g3r

If you wish to donate directly to the family, this is the way to do it: https://www.youcaring.com/michael-forgey-479259

Shadow of War developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game orc slayer
A Shadow of War developer who died of cancer has been immortalised as an orc slayer in the game.

Monolith executive producer Michael Forgey, who died from a brain tumour last year aged just 43-years-old, appears in Shadow of War as DLC character Forthog Orc-Slayer.

If you have the £3.99 DLC, Forthog will on occasion appear to one-hit kill whichever enemy the player character is up against. Think the Mysterious Stranger from the Fallout series.

Forgey, who was married with three children, was a music enthusiast who played in a band made up of Monolith staff called Orc Slayer. Accordingly, Forthog Orc-Slayer wields a devastating guitar axe, which you can see in the video below. (The song was written and performed by Forgey himself.)

sM78DNT.png
4gQIGho.png

Official Shadow of War Forthog Orc-Slayer Trailer

WB Games will donate $3.50 of every Forthog Orc-Slayer purchase to the Forgey family through 31st December 2019, Monolith said.

Steam Link to DLC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/580030/Middleearth_Shadow_of_War__Forthog_Orcslayer/

Lovely gesture from the guys at Monolith, fuck cancer.

(More at the top link)

EDIT 1:

Looks like only purchases within the US (with exception of AL, HI, IL, MA, MS and NC) are eligible to be donated to his family:

EDIT 2:

TotalBiscuit's video on the topic.

He brings up a great point regarding purchases outside of the US, would be nice if they could be put towards a charity in other regions.

Would be as easy as logging sales of the DLC in each region and WB matching that $3.50 donation per sale.

EDIT 3:

This is brought up in TB's video, but I'll highlight it anyway: They have admitted to purchases outside of those US states not going to the Forgey Family (albeit in very disclosed ways):

The video itself is worth a watch though, and I also think some people in this thread should watch the video again as getting the pitchforks is not the right approach for this situation - There is a potential solution as he points out. (See EDIT 2:)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I felt weirded out at first when I read he was DLC but after reading what they do with most of the money this gets a thumbs up

wolgoen

That's awesome, kudos to the devs. Looks like a good representation in the orcs face to the photo too.

Fuck cancer. RIP.

drotahorror

At first I was thinking that the pub/dev was still getting $1.50 but then I remembered that most storefronts (atleast Steam does) take 30%. So all the money that can possibly go to the family is going to the family. I'll probably support this if I end up buying the game.

What a really lovely gesture, I'm one of these fools, who is picking the game up at release and I'll certainly be picking up this DLC as well.

Obligatory - Fuck Cancer!

Very awesome some of the proceeds go to the family.

And love that it's like the Mysterious Stranger. One of my favorite perks in a video game.

Ratrat

At first I was thinking that the pub/dev was still getting $1.50 but then I remembered that most storefronts (atleast Steam does) take 30%. So all the money that can possibly go to the family is going to the family. I'll probably support this if I end up buying the game.
I went from skeptical to thinking this should be done more often.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is both sad and beautiful. Nice to see him immortalized in the game and that the family is going to receive the DLC money, but cancer is the worst thing ever.

This is DLC i dont mind opening my wallet too. Not only is it a cool as hell idea to immortalize their friend/coworker, but money going to his family is awesome.

Will buy this for sure.

J4g3r

I went from skeptical to thinking this should be done more often.

Indeed, would love to see more of this happening to benefit charities and such in future.

They just have to be open about the proceeds like they have been here.

RIP.
This is a nice gesture. I feel like they should do more things like this, both for deaths, and also for charity, like what I've heard Destiny 2 is doing.

thats a cool sentiment and RIP to the guy but this is not enough to get me into shadow of war

I don't really think they're doing this to get people to buy their game.

ffvorax

Great idea to help the family through the DLC. Will buy if I buy the game.

Would have even better if the donations were not only for that family but for research, but nice anyway.

At first I thought it was a little bit in bad taste to sell him as DLC until I saw that all the proceedes go to his family.

LKSmash

thats a cool sentiment and RIP to the guy but this is not enough to get me into shadow of war

You're belittling the sentiment by assuming this is meant to lure you into purchasing the game. They're honoring a friend and colleague and helping out his family he left behind. It's not a marketing strategy.

Also - Fuck Cancer. Will purchase.

Top Bottom