• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Clarifies Shadow of War Charity DLC, it will be free, WB IE will donate money

You really think this would've happened, this course correction, if the outrage wasn't vitriolic? They made an ad to promote this, which means spending money on materials, but you think this was always going to be the plan, despite WBs own words?

I don't think this was WB's plan, that was damage control that was, once again, worded poorly. People had every right to be skeptical and ask questions, was simply disagreeing with some of the tone. But then again I've never been in the "omg company xy did something bad their company shall fail and their family should die" camp so dunno. No point in arguin over this since this is a happy ending.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this was WB's plan, that was damage control that was, once again, worded poorly. People had every right to be skeptical and ask questions, was simply disagreeing with some of the tone. But then again I've never been in the "omg company xy did something bad their company shall fail and their family should die" camp so dunno. No point in arguin over this since this is a happy ending.

Hyperbole is always going to be present in any online conversation. I'm not excusing it (and I don't think anyone in this thread is), but it's more of a general criticism of online media than anything to do with WB themselves.

atr0cious

Hyperbole is always going to be present in any online conversation. I'm not excusing it (and I don't think anyone in this thread is), but it's more of a general criticism of online media than anything to do with WB themselves.
Yup, equating every "movement" to its most extreme outliers is a tactic used to discredit it.

amdb00mer

You mean the charity DLC which wasnt even going to charity in 90% of the world it was being sold in?

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Maybe re-read the WB statement. They said the profit still would have gone to the family, but they did not state it for the international sales as it would have possibly triggered issues with various countries charitable laws. Did they screw up by making that tweet about it not going to the family to avoid those triggers? Absolutely they did. To be honest they should have just simply made a donation to the family and they could have avoided all of this.

WB/Monolith tried to do something nice for the family and to honor a dev team member in a way that actually allowed people who wanted to donate to contribute directly and receive something cool that celebrated the employee.

This is a pretty new idea for charity, at least through Steam/Xbox/PSN storefronts that take a cut, and it's clear that international charity/promotion law is complicated, which is why you always see a ton of fine print. WB is a massive company, which means they need to protect themselves against violating said charity laws.

The above was always obvious, even before today.

People chose to believe that there were bad intentions and that they were trying to profit off an employee's death, even knowing 1) the above 2) that WB paid to have this DLC created and 3) the only money being set aside lined up with first party platform cuts.

Now, the family will get a flat donation instead of something that scales from Shadow of War players, and we will probably never see anyone try to do a charity promotion like this again through Steam/Xbox/PSN.

This isn't a victory for the Forgey family or for charitable causes, this is a lesson to publishers that they are better off staying away from charity lest they get tangled up in international charity laws and raise the ire of gamers looking for the next thing to be outraged about.

Pretty much. Sad all around. WB could have had better PR explaining it, but people could have connected the dots if they weren't busy being outraged over nonsense.

atr0cious

Everyone is clapping now wait until they do a few layoffs of the team to see how you really feel.
If this happens, it'll be because they're game doesn't look as compelling, nor as fresh, as the original. Trying to blame others for the consequences of their own mistakes is ridiculous.

And I'm sure some won't mind with WBs current practices...

While I imagine that the Forgey family would have benefited more had Warner Bros just communicated things properly, they unfortunately did not, so this is probably the best thing could do to follow up.

mazillion

Shout out to the internet who, instead of using some basic common sense, got angry about literally giving to charity.

I can't fathom why you would think it was obvious after the developer specifically said that purchasing the DLC outside of the (valid) US territory would not go to charity. He ended up being wrong but there is no possible way it was obvious at the time, in fact quite the opposite, it was basically a confirmation that our worries were justified.

Arkeband

Banned
Shout out to the internet who, instead of using some basic common sense, got angry about literally giving to charity.

I hate to quote something so dumb when so many others already have but this is like turning a blind eye to Trump's kids skimming money off of children's hospital charity money and then going "so what they got most of the money"

Charity shouldn't be shared with the rich.

Everyone is clapping now wait until they do a few layoffs of the team to see how you really feel.

lol Jesus Christ.

Steroyd

After making an outraged video that discouraged thousands from buying that DLC. A lot of them will not see this update.

"Discouraged"

It was an absolute concern, according to their own promotion if I bought the DLC, my United Kingdom 5 British pounds was going to... Where? All I have to go by was the small print that my money was exempt from Donating so I'd be throwing money at something with the hope that it was going to it's destination.

"Discouraged"

It was an absolute concern, according to their own promotion if I bought the DLC, my United Kingdom 5 British pounds was going to... Where? All I have to go by was the small print that my money was exempt from Donating so I'd be throwing money at something with the hope that it was going to it's destination.

Well, it was written in the announcement, so there's that. People who weren't eligible for the donation scheme could still donate through other means which they also advertised. That wasn't really the issue imho because you could get your money to them. Some info was simply "lost in translation" as most news sources didn't bother mentioning that this charity thing was limited to certain US states.

BTA

I feel like a takeaway here should be that doing charity DLC like this has big issues to begin with?

It's a little easier when it isn't a big company who hasn't earned any good will/trust that they will donate for other regions (even ignoring the Twitter mess), but in general if the legal situation is so complicated that you're walking into a nightmare of legal issues on one side and bad PR due to a required lack of transparency on the other... maybe it's not the right way to go about things.

Though it could have been more clearly worded from the start regardless, of course.

Sane_Man

My tin foil hat is tingling at all the juniors in this thread twisting facts to defend WB. Pretty suspicious.

I'm glad WB clarified things and fixed their fuck up somewhat anyway. I'll choose to take them at their word.

After making an outraged video that discouraged thousands from buying that DLC. A lot of them will not see this update.

I think it's very likely he'll mention this in his next video.

Aren't layoffs after a game is done pretty standard?

That doesn't make it cool, brah. Considering their massive size and wealth, you'd think they could move these guys onto different projects or teams. Nah, cheaper to just fire them. Tis the corporate way!

Top Bottom