• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game orc slayer

AlStrong

What sort of laws might prevent those 5 states from being eligible? Is it a tax deductible issue for businesses in those states?

Yukinari

This industry is gonna get really grim the day we lose TB.

It must hit him badly considering he also has cancer so its great that he did a video about this.

I really wonder how his family feels about this... It's one thing to not donate the proceeds entirely to the family but it's a whole other thing if they're pocketing the money outside of the United States.

Beefy

Yeah I have just watched TB, fuck this shit. Shady as fuck how they hid that outside of the US doesn't go to the family.

A.J.

Banned
Why only $3.50? I like it should at least be 4 of the 5 dollars

Edit: Also fuck WB for the generally scummyness of trying to profit off this mans death

drotahorror

Why only $3.50? I like it should at least be 4 of the 5 dollars

Edit: Also fuck WB for the generally scummyness of trying to profit off this mans death

valve takes 30%, the family is getting all the money they can out of the $4.99. $4.99 - $1.50 (30%) = 3.50

valve takes 30%, the family is getting all the money they can out of the $4.99. $4.99 - $1.50 (30%) = 3.50

I'd like there to be a discussion about this because there should be exceptions to their take. I remember there being a DLC for This War of Mine where all the proceeds were donated to War Child and I was thinking "I hope Valve isn't getting their usual cut".

_machine

I'd like there to be a discussion about this because there should be exceptions to their take. I remember there being a DLC for This War of Mine where all the proceeds were donated to War Child and I was thinking "I hope Valve isn't getting their usual cut".
All proceeds would mean 70% of the revenue, WB should've probably worded it like that as well, since as far as I know there almost no way to pass the 30% platform holders fees in any case on any platform.

AHA-Lambda

So purchases of this DLC outside of the US apparently don't go to charity?
It all goes to WB?

Unless I'm missing something, this very well may be the scummiest thing I've seen a publisher ever do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So purchases of this DLC outside of the US apparently don't go to charity?
It all goes to WB?

Unless I'm missing something, this very well may be the scummiest thing I've seen a publisher ever do.

TotalBiscuit seems to be under the impression that WB will literally be donating the money it receives through sales of the DLC. I'd imagine what will actually happen is that WB will keep tabs on sales and pull the money out of a different pocket so that all purchases are accounted for. That aligns with WB's stated intent and the fact the DLC is available worldwide.

Edit: Disregard.

CloudWolf

TotalBiscuit seems to be under the impression that WB will literally be donating the money it receives through sales of the DLC. I'd imagine what will actually happen is that WB will keep tabs on sales and pull the money out of a different pocket so that all purchases are accounted for. That aligns with WB's stated intent and the fact the DLC is available worldwide.
Nah I doubt it, the wording of that (very) small print is pretty deliberate. It literally states that only purchases made in the US with the exception of certain states are donated to the family. The rest of the proceeds go to WB Games.

EDIT: Ah, too late

JaseC

Nah I doubt it, the wording of that (very) small print is pretty deliberate. It literally states that only purchases made in the US with the exception of certain states are donated to the family. The rest of the proceeds go to WB Games.

EDIT: Ah, too late

Yeah, that's kindasorta tucked away in the video description. I was going off the information in the OP. Serves me right, I suppose. ;)

J4g3r

Yeah, that's kindasorta tucked away in the video description. I was going off the information in the OP. Serves me right, I suppose. ;)

TB does bring up what they said on Twitter in his video - which is in the OP, I'll update the OP regardless.

JaseC

TB does bring up what they said on Twitter in his video, I'll update the OP regardless.

With the exception of the Steam Store URL, I didn't click any of the links prior to posting, which is what I was getting at with "Serves me right" (i.e. it wasn't a dig at you). Those finer details are supported with a screenshot of TB's tweets, so I mistakenly inferred he was the source and didn't think to go digging any further. No harm, no foul, though; this isn't the first time I've made myself look foolish on the internet. ;)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
IMO this money should be going towards cancer research or similar, not directly to this one family. So many families go through hell because cancer steals their loved ones away.

But still, nice gesture.

J4g3r

With the exception of the Steam Store URL, I didn't click any of the links prior to posting, which is what I was getting at with "Serves me right" (i.e. it wasn't a dig at you). Those finer details are supported with a screenshot of TB's tweets, so I mistakenly inferred he was the source and didn't think to go digging any further. No harm, no foul, though; this isn't the first time I've made myself look foolish on the internet. ;)

No worries man, it's a long video so I should have at least highlighted a little more info from it - All this happened while it was quite late for me over here though.

I really do think the video is worth a watch though, and I also think some people in this thread should watch the video again as getting the pitchforks is not the right approach for this situation - There is a potential solution as he points out.

JaseC

No worries man, it's a long video so I should have at least highlighted a little more info from it - All this happened while it was quite late for me over here though.

<3

WB always finding a way to WB it up. Why sell it outside the US then?

While international purchase revenue may not go to his family, it does make sense to offer the content in all regions where the game is sold. It is actual DLC, after all.

Windam

Scaley member
Fuck cancer. Good on them for doing this, but I wish it wasn't US only for the donation. At least let people outside the US buy the DLC and donate a portion of that to support a cancer charity/research. :(

Chris1

Nice gesture, would be nice if MS/Sony/Steam stepped in and donated their 30% aswell but I doubt that will happen :(

Wow.

Fucking wow.

I mean, at least they're being honest? They could have just ignored it. I think they have good intentions with this at least, even if it didn't come off that way

However they probably could have done it in a better way outside the US, like donate to a cancer research charity and get the DLC free if you do that, if they can't give it directly to the family.

The idea for the character is something i like, and the principle of it seems like a great way to remember this developer...but with what i expect to be the majority of purchases not counting in any way other than that money going directly to WB, it just makes the whole thing seem like it's done more out of greed than to actually honour this developers memory.

The family is getting something from it and that's great, but to me any goodwill WB would have gotten by doing this is ruined by it ultimately being a situation where they are the ones that benefit the most. I expect they could have very easily got around the problem (if there is actually something stopping the donations elsewhere counting) by just donating an equal amount themselves. If they really cared then they'd have provided some explanation as to why the money doesn't count elsewhere and not hidden that it's US only in the fine print that a lot of people will miss.

It seems like it's just more scummy and greedy practices to me, but this might even be a new low for them, profiting off the death of one of their developers.

Budi

Really nice to support the family. Should be very clear about the US thing though, so this gesture wouldn't get overshadowed by it. The tone of this will change fast with that.

Just want to be realistic, hes exe producer, his family most likely will get the sales/metacritic bonus, and most likely have already had strong support from ubisoft.
This DLC will make his family even more after the tragic death.

Hes family most likely already has gotten amazing support, we honestly dont know enough to say ubi is scummy.

Budi

Just want to be realistic, hes exe producer, his family most likely will get the sales/metacritic bonus, and most likely have already had strong support from ubisoft.
This DLC will make his family even more after the tragic death.

Hes family most likely already has gotten amazing support, we honestly dont know enough to say ubi is scummy.
It's not UBI, it's Warner Bros.

drotahorror

Uh...so this is free now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_rRbA0ASCY&

l3EIK1M.png

I'm super hype for the game but man some of this shit is getting weird.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Further details.

Basically they were going to give all the profit to the family, but were just not promoting it as such in territories where that was prohibited. The intention seems to have been to just make the full sum the donation without promotion in the prohibited territories, but now they have decided not to do that due to the furor people raised about it. They will still be making a donation to the family, but that will almost certainly be less than what the DLC would have raised worldwide. So, uh, good job, everyone?

The right decision, IMO. This was turning poisonous.
Further details.

Basically they were going to give all the profit to the family, but were just not promoting it as such in territories where that was prohibited. The intention seems to have been to just make the full sum the donation without promotion in the prohibited territories, but now they have decided not to do that due to the furor people raised about it. They will still be making a donation to the family, but that will almost certainly be less than what the DLC would have raised worldwide. So, uh, good job, everyone?
Come on now. The onus is on them for messing up the original announcement of the DLC, and not figuring out a way to donate the money from intelligible countries to some cancer related charity from the very beginning.

Ross61

Further details.

Shame.

Top Bottom