• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game orc slayer

Razmos

I saw that it was paid DLC and groaned until I saw that the majority of it was going to his family, that's a very good gesture

Linkura

At first I was like, "Why the fuck are they charging for a tribute?" but then I read they are donating 100% of the proceeds to the family. That's awesome.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
70% goes to his family. Pretty cool.

And 30% to steam.
When all is said and done, the publisher isn't profiting from this, it's likely putting up some 10% in fees on top of it.

You're belittling the sentiment by assuming this is meant to lure you into purchasing the game. They're honoring a friend and colleague and helping out his family he left behind. It's not a marketing strategy.

Also - Fuck Cancer. Will purchase.

In all likeness, it probably has gone like this:
Dev: We want to do this for our fallen colleague.
Publisher: Sure, that's a PR home run! We'll even throw some support behind it.

Still, it's very touching and has real effect. I'd say they deserve the positive pr on it.

Awesome, will buy. Would have hoped some of it went to cancer research though, but family is good too.

Thanks Mom.

Just saying, I don't think people should buy this at launch because it just encourages this nasty practice.

If I could buy this DLC without buying the game I actually would.

Fair play and a nice gesture. Regardless of my issues with the final product this is a guy that went to work, was no doubt passionate about what he did and cancer robbed his family of him. Employers that empathise with the personal struggles of their staff and support them or their family through tough times is always something that should be applauded.

Steam gets 30 percent, the family gets the rest.

Easy buy then. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. "Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'Forthog Orcslayer' which requires ownership of 'Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™'. Please correct the error and try again."

Try buying it as a gift.

WTH, Steam is requiring me to select someone on my friend's list to deliver it to. You can't buy gifts to your inventory anymore?

Who gives a fuck? This thread is specifically about dlc that raises money for a grieving family. Take your agenda to a different thread.

No.

Yeah, how silly of him to make sure WB isn't profiting off an employees death.

Bit extreme, but my point is that I will reward the good deed (providing as you stated it doesn't provide WB profit) but I want people to remember what WB is doing because this sure does seem like it could be a "hey but look we're good people...?"

I wanna say something. I'm so happy to see positivity behind this. This story broke over on gfaqs last night and it was getting destroyed. Like over half the posts were just capping all over this. I think this is a really cool thing to do to help a guy who had a wife and 3 kids and that died so young. Plus they can immoralize their friend in a game. I'm so on board with this. Will be buying for sure.

shingi70

Banned
Anyone complaining about bussiness practices in this thread is an insufferable asshole. I' hope the microtransactions for every major game this holiday season exceeds expectations just to spite you.

20p of £3:50. The rest go to the guys family. You don't have to buy the whole game to buy the dlc.

I can't figure out how to buy it for myself or as a gift. When I click as a gift, Steam is asking me to pick a friend off my list. I can't just buy it to my inventory?!

Anyone complaining about bussiness practices in this thread is an insufferable asshole. I' hope the microtransactions for every major game this holiday season exceeds expectations just to spite you.

Wow buddy. Thanks! I'll sure to be back to spite YOU :)

Noctilum

Does anyone know if there is another way to donate to the family if we don't have the game and cannot buy the DLC because of it? Is there a gofundme account or something?

shingi70

Banned
I can't figure out how to buy it for myself or as a gift. When I click as a gift, Steam is asking me to pick a friend off my list. I can't just buy it to my inventory?!

Wow buddy. Thanks! I'll sure to be back to spite YOU :)

I see nothing wrong with lamenting about those bussiness practices, but this isn't the thread to do it in.

Yooooo fuckkkkkkkkkkk cancer

That said, very cool to see the human side of businesses like this. Best to his wife and three kids. Shit is heartbreaking.

I don't get it. Rather than just honoring him in game and sharing the profits of the game he helped produce with his family, they find a way to push that cost into consumers while gaining good will and publicity and have a great excuse to training people to purchase DLC? If I died, I can't imagine if want to come back as DLC... I know this is a pretty pessimistic attitude, but come on, Gofundme DLC? These are some creative executives.

I don't get it. Rather than just honoring him in game and sharing the profits of the game he helped produce with his family, they find a way to push that cost into consumers while gaining good will and publicity and have a great excuse to training people to purchase DLC? If I died, I can't imagine if want to come back as DLC... I know this is a pretty pessimistic attitude, but come on, Gofundme DLC? These are some creative executives.

Shhhhhh no critiquing allowed in this thread.

shingi70

Banned

Shhhhhh no critiquing allowed in this thread.

Nigga what.

DLC has been a standard in this industry since Horse armor. Your not training customers for anything under the guise of charity when nearly every major game has DLC or lootboxes in some form these days.

There clearly isn't some sort of private gofundme and if there is we know nothing about it. This is just extra money given to the family and a way for Gamers to thank and support a fallen member of this industry.

To complain about this is entirely disrespectful to the developer and his family.

WTH, Steam is requiring me to select someone on my friend's list to deliver it to. You can't buy gifts to your inventory anymore?

Eyup. Valve disabled it one day for some reason. Though I think multipacks still use that framework. They've been limiting it beforehand but them being completely disabled aside from those few scenarios struck out of nowhere. Maybe after disabling reverse importing from cheaper zones and Counter-Strike account breeding they decided hardly anyone bought them? The official version involved bad implementation of regional pricing.

Nigga what.
To complain about this is entirely disrespectful to the developer and his family.

I disagree. Being critical of a game publisher is not a sign of disrespect. I think it is an interesting idea, and I hope if raises a lot of money for the family. I would have a much different attitude about it if they did something out of their share of the profits, like matching the DLC sales.

Chobel

OY8dgXo4SAyC9XuGsDj_RQ.png

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/903634273080672256

Top Bottom