• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Clarifies Shadow of War Charity DLC, it will be free, WB IE will donate money

dex3108

The Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC was created by the team at Monolith Productions to immortalize Michael Forgey, a dear friend and colleague, and to raise funds to help support his widow and children.

Specifically, we decided to sell the DLC worldwide and donate all profits from the DLC to the family. Although we decided to donate all profits to the family, we only planned to actively promote this donation in the U.S. (excluding certain states based on their charitable promotion laws). We hoped this approach would raise as much money as possible for the Forgey family in compliance with the law. Our decision not to promote the donation outside the U.S. (even though we intended to donate the money) caused many to question where funds from other territories were going. Answering that direct question itself could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available.

Additionally, a factually incorrect tweet from our team exacerbated the confusion by stating that international funds would not be going to the family. For absolute clarity; our intention was always to give all profits from the DLC, worldwide to the Forgey family.

We now recognize that tying our donation to sales of the DLC was not the best way to achieve our goal of offering financial support to the family and creating a lasting memorial to Michael Forgey. We sincerely apologize to the fans and to the Forgey family for the confusion we created.

To ensure the two original aims are still met and to provide transparency to the community, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will instead make a donation directly to the Forgey family. The DLC will be withdrawn from sale and will be a free download for owners of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Anyone who has purchased the DLC will receive a full refund. If there is interest in donating directly to the family, please visit their youcaring site: https://www.youcaring.com/michael-forgey-479259.

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Of...rc-Slayer-DLC-Upate/m-p/1674265/thread-id/663

Cess007

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will instead make a donation directly to the Forgey family. The DLC will be withdrawn from sale and will be a free download for owners of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Anyone who has purchased the DLC will receive a full refund

I think this is probably the best approach, and may have been the best way to do it from the beginning.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Shout out to the internet who, instead of using some basic common sense, got angry about literally giving to charity.

You mean the charity DLC which wasnt even going to charity in 90% of the world it was being sold in?

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

That's not what they were upset about.

Nice spin, though. Do you work at WB?

Sorry you're embarrassed that you got angry about helping a grieving family. The money was clearly always going to go to them to anyone with a lick of sense.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Edit: double post

Rellik

Shout out to the internet who, instead of using some basic common sense, got angry about literally giving to charity.

I bet you're one of them people who donates to a charity just because it's a charity without researching to see where your money is actually going.

CloudWolf

Shout out to the internet who, instead of just accepting paid DLC to 'honor' a developer who died where only a small part of the profit went to the family of that developer, decided to call WB out on it's bullshit and actually get them to publicly apologize and do what they should've done in the first place.

Wait... so they originally planned to sell the DLC and donate ALL the proceeds to his family but the internet was outraged and came up some conspiracy theory that got so popular that the company is now scrapping the idea of using all proceeds to fund a donation and is just doing a one time donation.

People do realize that sales probably would have been bigger than whatever they'll donate now and could have been a potentially multi-month/year income stream for the family? And now that is eradicated completely... and people feel that's a good thing.

Free DLC > helping people in trying times I guess. Let's you know where their heart really lies.

Kinyou

Sorry you're embarrassed that you got angry about helping a grieving family. The money was clearly always going to go to them to anyone with a lick of sense.
How was that always clear when the commercial literally said that it wont go to the family if you live outside the US?

DOWN

Banned
You mean the charity DLC which wasnt even going to charity in 90% of the world it was being sold in?

That’s not correct. Nor does it even fit common sense. And it especially doesn’t make sense if you read the OP.

Foffy

Banned

We're talking about WB here. The bolded isn't as clear as you think.

What happens to states or places that bought the DLC but it didn't count as charity per region laws? You really think a company doubling down on microtransactions in a $60 game would actually give the money away if the rules of charity don't apply in certain places?

I'm not angry because I don't even care for the game. They way they went about this was typical WB in that they went wrong in every possible way about it.

CloudWolf

Wait... so the outcome is that they originally planned to sell the DLC and donate ALL the proceeds to his family but the internet was outraged and came up some conspiracy theory that got so popular that the company is now scrapping the idea of using sales to fund the donation.

People do realize that sales probably would have been bigger than whatever they'll donate now and could have been a potentially multi-month/year income stream for the family. And now that is eradicated... and people feel that's a good thing.

Free DLC > helping people in trying times I guess. Let's you know where their heart really lies.
That's what WB says now, but the trailer for the DLC very clearly stated that only sales made in certain states of the US would go to the family. I'm preeeeeetty sure that donating everything wasn't the original plan.

small_print.png

How was that always clear when the commercial literally said that it wont go to the family if you live outside the US?

Because any other outcome is a PR disaster, evil in a way most reality TV shows can only aspire to, and stupid in the extreme. Setting up legal international charity operations isn't something you can do at the drop of a hat.

mjc

We're talking about WB here. The bolded isn't as clear as you think.

What happens to states or places that bought the DLC but it didn't count as charity per region laws? You really think a company doubling down on microtransactions in a $60 game would actually give the money away if the rules of charity don't apply in certain places?

I'm not angry because I don't even care for the game. They way they went about this was typical WB in that they went wrong in every possible way about it.

Maybe they would have? It's hard to say because it didn't come to pass. Like a large amount of the outcry prior to this, it was assuming WB would handle it in the worst possible way.

I'm happy things got sorted all out though, and the family is getting support either way.

Cess007

I mean, not even WB communicated this clearly

Additionally, a factually incorrect tweet from our team exacerbated the confusion by stating that international funds would not be going to the family.

Syriel

Except it was. Compliance laws can be fun.

Except their PR fucked up and people thought they were profiting off a "charity DLC".

This. When people went all internet detective, it would have been best to just ignore it. By trying to get in front of it with that tweet, they made it worse.

Bronetta

That’s not correct. Nor does it even fit common sense. And it especially doesn’t make sense if you read the OP.

Yeah I read the OP, the one where WB backtracked their fuckery. The original PR said:

Forthog Orc-Slayer will appear as a piece of downloadable content priced at $4.99. A donation of $3.50 per purchase will be made to Forgey’s family until December 31st, 2019. This will apply to sales within the continental US, with some exceptions.

https://kotaku.com/shadow-of-war-producer-memorialized-in-dlc-1798703505

Common sense means not accepting everything at face value and questioning the truth instead of letting corporations get away with whatever they want.

Maybe they would have? It's hard to say because it didn't come to pass. Like a large amount of the outcry prior to this, it was assuming WB would handle it in the worst possible way.

People are equating "they made a business decision I don't like in a videogame" with "they will take money from a grieving widow and children." Presumably because they somehow think those things are as bad as each other?

Common sense means not accepting everything at face value and questioning the truth instead of letting corporations get away with whatever they want.

This is what you are doing. Read the OP again. If they said "we are giving the money to charity from everywhere" it "could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available."

Kinyou

Because any other outcome is a PR disaster, evil in a way most reality TV shows can only aspire to, and stupid in the extreme. Setting up legal international charity operations isn't something you can do at the drop of a hat.
Well it was a PR disaster because they didn't clarify it until now.

While I am glad that they've decided to donate directly to the family (they don't say how much I noticed) I don't for a second think this is all the result of a miscommunication.

It's clearly a direct reaction to the PR disaster and in no way their original plan.

Zomba13

Well it's a good thing exactly that happened isn't it!

The image has already been posted that says where donations will be made when you buy and only mentions US states. That is what people were upset and annoyed by. WB saying, in the DLC advert, that not every purchase will be donated.

CloudWolf

Except it was. Compliance laws can be fun.

This. When people went all internet detective, it would have been best to just ignore it. By trying to get in front of it with that tweet, they made it worse.

Nobody went 'internet detective'; the trailer literally says that donations will be made on purchases in the US with some exceptions in the small print. How the hell can anybody see that and conclude 'Well, obviously all profits will go to the family'?

If the original plan was to donate all profits, this wasn't just a fuck up from a guy on Twitter, but they should really do something about their wording in trailers.

Foffy

Banned

I'm happy things got sorted all out though, and the family is getting support either way.

Maybe companies who care about making as much money as possible will have a lick of humanity and decency?

Do you know what universe we live in, my friend? That's like saying games going digital would lower up-front costs of purchases. That didn't happen as prices are more likely to stay fixed, sans sales.

You might have too kind of a heart to believe morality and decency will win in corporatism. If charity law didn't apply to purchases in South Carolina, for example, why would WB go out of their way to take any of that money and push it off as charity instead of keeping it for themselves? Again, they're totally fine with lottery loot boxes that you have to pay real money for, so they do not have a precedent of humility when it comes to purchases for their products.

If you want an example of companies that do DLC and emphasize charity via said purchases right, look at Bohemia Interactive. Hell, just look at how they do DLC and the rest of industry looks like a joke.

mas8705

While I'm sure this was the intention the entire time, WB games definitely needed to have clarified this info much more clearly than they did the first time around. Glad to know that they did provide this clarification (although it probably should have happened much sooner). Too bad that after this mess and all other issues with the game, I'm still going to hold of on it for now.

Honestly, I would call you a fool for not fully understanding the situation, but considering how many people have already called you out, it would be redundant at this point...

Lanrutcon

And all it took was people reading the fineprint and calling them out on it.

Congratulations on not being slime, WB.

Lucifon

So they're making a donation of an unspecified amount? I didn't think that was the issue. Surely just make it paid and donate all profits raised worldwide to the family?

Did you read absolutely nothing about where the money was going for players outside of the US?

I read the part of this announcement where they said they were going to donate all the money anyway (obviously) and explained why they couldn't specifically say that. Did you?

kirblar

That's what WB says now, but the trailer for the DLC very clearly stated that only sales made in certain states of the US would go to the family. I'm preeeeeetty sure that donating everything wasn't the original plan.
This is likely due to laws surrounding stuff like this. Players playing in Maryland can't receive prizes playing on Magic: The Gathering online, for example. 50 states leads to weird things happening.

Rokal

Wait... so they originally planned to sell the DLC and donate ALL the proceeds to his family but the internet was outraged and came up some conspiracy theory that got so popular that the company is now scrapping the idea of using all proceeds to fund a donation and is just doing a one time donation.

People do realize that sales probably would have been bigger than whatever they'll donate now and could have been a potentially multi-month/year income stream for the family? And now that is eradicated completely... and people feel that's a good thing.

This man gets it. Internet outrage culture at it's finest.

So they're making a donation of an unspecified amount? I didn't think that was the issue. Surely just make it paid and donate all profits raised worldwide to the family?

Or make the dlc free, then via there website set up a "if you'd like to donate the suggested vaue is $5" with 100% of proceeds being donated. Heck some people might be willing to donate more then however much they wanted to sell this dlc for and make more money off it.

Top Bottom