• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't shadow warrior 2 using some sort of random level design? I dont think you'll get as tight of an experienceeas Doom because the game is designed to be different every time you play.

Yeah, the levels have preset "tiles" for story-related events and the procedural generation system fills in the surrounding blanks.

Manatox

Yeah, the levels have preset "tiles" for story-related events and the procedural generation system fills in the surrounding blanks.

This got me quite interested on this game actually. Would have likely bought it day 1 if i didn't have a tight schedule with BF1 and Xenoverse 2 this month. Gonna most likely pick it up someday when i have time for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nah, the original was entirely hand-crafted.
We'll see how this game fares but, at this point, it just seems like Flying Wild Hog doesn't have the chops when it comes to level design.

Hard Reset features some of the most boring level design of the last decade while Shadow Warrior is only a minor step up from that. It's just hallways and rooms with enemy spawners.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I had forgotten about that.

I suppose it's all about my own expectations. I found the original to be fun but insanely shallow due to very poor level design. It was just a bunch of kill rooms.

Then I played Doom this year which showed how to bring an old school shooter back. It did have some "kill rooms" at points, no doubt, but the overall experience and design of the levels was pitch perfect.

From what I've played of SW2, you're dropped into these large, somewhat aimless areas where you can accept quests. You can walk to your car to transport to the area where the quest occurs (like the ship in Destiny) and then you walk around that area following a waypoint and shooting an insane number of enemies. Something about that whole process felt uninteresting to me as there was no real level progression, just an open ended map. It didn't feel crafted at all in the way that Doom is. It could have been a parking lot, a mall, an ancient forest, etc - the actual level design and look of the stage has no impact on the gameplay. Doom, on the other hand, built its challenges around the map - from scaling that massive tower, the figuring out how to get through the Foundry, all the way to some of the crazy platforming and combat you have to do while dealing with it.

I desperately hope I am completely wrong as I REALLY want this game to shine.

Going by what footage I think you better prepare yourself that this isn't what you want. Doom has a very specific set of weapons which you can then design your combat scenarios around. Shadow Warrior 2 has a full blown loot element to it. You pick up loot parts, can insert different parts into different weapons (for example, turning a shotgun into an electric shotgun).

I have no issues myself with kill rooms or arenas but if you want something more I suppose, more specificaly 'designed' I guess ? You're probably out of luck tbh. I doubt that's even their goal and that's fine, I don't necessarily think having a game with Dooms level design makes it automatically better, just different. I care more about how fun the core combat is. Hell this comes across more like a first person Diablo than anything else to me, maybe I'm completely off base with this.

However I haven't played if of course, just watched a lot of footage. Then you've got the procedural generation element to the game as well, though I'm not sure if that applies to levels or just enemy layouts etc.

Gothos

I doubt it's actually HDR. it's probably the same definition of HDR my iPhone says it does sometimes

edit: Nevermind, just read "HDR display". Nice job Devolver!

Actually, nice job Flying Wild Hog. Devolver is publisher not developer of this game. Credit where credit's due :)

We'll see how this game fares but, at this point, it just seems like Flying Wild Hog doesn't have the chops when it comes to level design.

Hard Reset features some of the most boring level design of the last decade while Shadow Warrior is only a minor step up from that. It's just hallways and rooms with enemy spawners.

Completely agree 100%. These guys are just not good at level design. Hard Reset was horrible and while I did enjoy the first few levels of Shadow Warrior, I got bored of it and didn't even bother finishing it. They make good tech and performance in Shadow Warrior was amazing and I fully expect performance in this one to be equally as awesome. But I'm skeptical about the gameplay, even more so now considering the levels are randomly generated.

KKRT00

I agree, but in terms of actual combat in Shadow Warrior, big empty Arena is actually more interesting than levels with layers.
I think that enemy encounters and player skillset are more important here than level topology, because generally you are fully upfront in combat like in Serious Sam, not like in Doom due to melee.

But the verticality of some levels in gameplay and much more movement abilities maybe will change the combat works in favor in level design. Will see.

Schlomo

We must have played a different Shadow Warrior, because mine had keycards, secrets, backtracking and some environmental puzzles. I really enjoyed it as a modern form of the old-school FPS.

Calabi

I just completed Shadow Warrior yesterday and agree the level designs were terrible, lots of copy pasted assets and generic corridors but it had more problems than just that.

Like bad feedback from weapons when you hit, and I wondered why I was missing, and it turns out the hud actually bobs and moves about even while standing still. It wasnt really playable with a controller above casual difficulty. The sword and abilities were kind of awkward to use. I'm more concerned about these aspects.

I think it can only be a plus point that the levels are randomly generated now though. From what I've seen it looks like a fun fast paced shooter although not quite as perfected as Doom but not many people can reach that bar.

Durante

So, does anyone know how this uses Multi-res Shading? The only thing outside VR where I can imagine it making sense is surround gaming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's more demanding that this title this. Hence the wording not as demanding as Gears. Also, Gears is a bit demanding depending on what level of graphical fidelity you're going for.

Allow me to take the liberty of nipping this potential derailment in the bud: He's going to post benchmarks, you're going to say you were referring to Insane settings, he'll say that they're not relevant as they're designed for high-end hardware rather than poorly optimised and the game looks/runs just fine at High/Ultra settings, you'll say that the context of the comparison was "max settings" as the in-game options allow and didn't intend to imply that Gears 4 is poorly optimised, and he'll stop posting in the thread or otherwise drop the discussion rather than admit he misunderstood.

Corpekata

Banned
So, does anyone know how this uses Multi-res Shading? The only thing outside VR where I can imagine it making sense is surround gaming.

There's a dev active on the steam forums that was answering a lot of technical related questions, might find out from him. Though with the game a day away he might be busy.

Durante

There's a dev active on the steam forums that was answering a lot of technical related questions, might find out from him. Though with the game a day away he might be busy.
Will be interesting to see the performance/IQ impact when the game is released.

scitek

I remember the guys telling me at E3 last year frustrating things from the first game - like double tapping a direction with the analog stick to pull off a move - would be handled differently this time. I think the game looks excellent, but the first one dragged on for too long, as well.

It's nothing like Doom, though. If anything, Painkiller is the standard it should be held to.

dmix90

Is HDR working? I tought it required some kind of windows update.....If it's working then what is Square Enix/Microsoft excuse to not bring it to their recent titles on PC?

Durante

Is HDR working? I tought it required some kind of windows update.....If it's working then what is Square Enix/Microsoft excuse to not bring it to their recent titles on PC?
It requires some kind of Windows update to use it in UWP apps.

Boring old Windows programs have been able to use it (in exclusive fullscreen mode) for a few months now.

Calabi

I remember the guys telling me at E3 last year frustrating things from the first game - like double tapping a direction with the analog stick to pull off a move - would be handled differently this time. I think the game looks excellent, but the first one dragged on for too long, as well.

It's nothing like Doom, though. If anything, Painkiller is the standard it should be held to.

Good that's exactly one of the things I was frustrated with.

dmix90

Boring old Windows programs have been able to use it (in exclusive fullscreen mode) for a few months now.
Not surprised....Thanks for the info! Though latest Deus Ex has HDR support on consoles and exclusive fullscreen on PC but still was not patched to support it right?

Genio88

I'm playing Gears 4 while already have Mafia 3 waiting, wanna try the Silver Case and of course i can't say no to a few match on FIFA 17 UT and Rocket League...where do i find the time for this? please send me time

Durante

Not surprised....Thanks for the info! Though latest Deus Ex has HDR support on consoles and exclusive fullscreen on PC but still was not patched to support it right?
Yes. HDR support is something which needs to be implemented by developers on a per-game basis. (Though really, if you already have it on consoles getting it to work on PC should be easy enough. I assume DX:MD doesn't have it due to the AMD affiliation)

riflen

Yes, I wonder if it's used for those peeps with curved displays. You could use the technique to reduce the distortion at the edges of the player's field of view. Seems like a stretch though.

dr_rus

sw2_1920.png
sw2_2560.png

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/shadow-warrior-2-test-gpu

It's more demanding that this title this. Hence the wording not as demanding as Gears. Also, Gears is a bit demanding depending on what level of graphical fidelity you're going for.

I dunno, doesn't look like it's more demanding than SW2:

gw4_2560.png

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Win10AU added HDR10 support to DWM which is why we got WDDM 2.1 and DXGI 1.5 in the first place.

I don't know why people keep thinking that there should be some Windows update for HDR being possible on PC as with AU it should actually already be available across all possible implementations (UWP, Win32, windowed, fullscreen, etc)

KKRT00

sw2_proz.png

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :)

80fps on minimum is nice to see on i5 2500k ;p

Ps. I need to install that freaking 6800k already though ;p

We must have played a different Shadow Warrior, because mine had keycards, secrets, backtracking and some environmental puzzles. I really enjoyed it as a modern form of the old-school FPS.
Just because a game has those doesn't mean it does it well, or understand why it was in the games it takes those ideas from in the first place.

Shadow Warrior 2011 was exactly like Serious Sam in many ways (completely with its flaws) but Shadow Warrior 2 is nothing like that. It seems to be a completely different style of game in terms of progression.

Hmm, I had forgotten about that.

I suppose it's all about my own expectations. I found the original to be fun but insanely shallow due to very poor level design. It was just a bunch of kill rooms.

Then I played Doom this year which showed how to bring an old school shooter back. It did have some "kill rooms" at points, no doubt, but the overall experience and design of the levels was pitch perfect.

From what I've played of SW2, you're dropped into these large, somewhat aimless areas where you can accept quests. You can walk to your car to transport to the area where the quest occurs (like the ship in Destiny) and then you walk around that area following a waypoint and shooting an insane number of enemies. Something about that whole process felt uninteresting to me as there was no real level progression, just an open ended map. It didn't feel crafted at all in the way that Doom is. It could have been a parking lot, a mall, an ancient forest, etc - the actual level design and look of the stage has no impact on the gameplay. Doom, on the other hand, built its challenges around the map - from scaling that massive tower, the figuring out how to get through the Foundry, all the way to some of the crazy platforming and combat you have to do while dealing with it.

I desperately hope I am completely wrong as I REALLY want this game to shine.

There are some things I reallz like in SW 2013 *namelz some enemz designs and all the powers & sword movement. Yet the game drags a bit and has the arena problem.

I grabbed this because I want to support them definitely, but I am not sure what to make of it based up on what I have seen so far in previews. The guns and combat look better than the last game (which is great), but I am not sold on rotating style sets and loot ala diablo hack and slash stuff.

We shall see!

If anything it will run well from what I can see here.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Why are people saying that Shadow Warrior 2013 is "just like serious sam"?

Since when was Serious Sam half about using a sword and upgrading magical abilities?

The only thing similar about Sam and SW'13 was that they feature some corridor type levels that connect larger rooms/open areas where you fight a bunch of waves of enemies. If that's what you mean, OK. But Serious Sam is far more focused on guns and running out of the way of enemies whereas SW13 seemed to be a little more focused on using the sword skills, magic, and getting closer or amidst enemy groups to hack them up. Some of those sword abilities seemed a bit powerful.

Anyway, I'm actually more curious about Shadow Warrior 2 now that I've read that it goes a new direction. I'm all about trying fresh new things rather than rehashing the last thing. I loved DOOM (fav game of 2016 so far) but I'm up for something different and hopefully fresh.

Gears is just really well optimized. When I think of demanding games that still look amazing, I think of AC Syndicate or Far Cry 4. Those games could have definitely used more time optimizing, though.

I'm always blown away when titles like Gears 4, MGS V, GTA V, and Mad Max looks and play the way they do. It's like magic or something.

ACE 1991

Gears is just really well optimized. When I think of demanding games that still look amazing, I think of AC Syndicate or Far Cry 4. Those games could have definitely used more time optimizing, though.

I'm always blown away when titles like Gears 4, MGS V, GTA V, and Mad Max looks and play the way they do. It's like magic or something.

Just because something doesn't run super well doesn't mean it's poorly optimized. People throw this word around waaaaay too frequently.

Just because something doesn't run super well doesn't mean it's poorly optimized. People throw this word around waaaaay too frequently.

All things considered, I think the other two I mentioned run well. I just think they could be running a lot better. Ubisoft has a crazy huge team working on games like Far Cry and AC. They can definitely do better. I also didn't say those two games were poorly optimized. They're just as well optimized as the other games I mentioned.

dogen

Just to take a stab in the dark, maybe they can use it in conjunction with depth of field? Since everything is gonna be blurred out anyway maybe they can get away with lower quality shading.

Karak

Do we have the definitive word on to what extent the environments are procedurally generated? Or is it just procedurally generated missions/objectives/enemy placement?

It uses a queuing system where it takes hand made parts of maps and reworks them via a system of queries. It is not procedurally generated but instead uses setpeices chosen from a larger library.

Top Bottom