• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 PC Performance Thread

KKRT00

... Specs? You can't just post that and expect us to guess what you have. Although from your history it seems you have a 2500K.

Specs doesnt matter when you see on my screenshots that both CPU and GPU are underutilized.

I have i5 2500k and gtx 1080.

---
This is really awesome. It could end up being a real game changer if it's widely available and the IQ hit isn't bad for big performance gains. I haven't tried it myself but the comparison shots are pretty encouraging.

Its pretty unnoticable in gameplay in this game due to how fast it is, but in cutscenes its a deal breaker. I'm playing in 1440p with aggressive MSR on 24' 1080p monitor.
For slower titles its not a good alternative, but its always great to have an option in any game.
It would be way better it would scale dynamically on load.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm using a Vizio P50-C1 (HDMI directly from my GTX 1080), and I have it set to 4:4:4 chroma (at 4K, I believe it's only 8-bit) at all times. HDR worked at various resolutions from 1080p to 1800p all the way to 4K.
Great then I'll get it asmy first HDR game on PC :)

KKRT00

Gsync implementation seems to be broken or my drivers are shit :p
It seems like window mode is running way better than full screen for me.
Actually i have higher framerate without MSR than with MSR, because MSR is causing additional CPU load ...

Just look at CPU utilization in those shots.
1080p MSR Conservative [89fps]
shadowwarrior2_2016_1wxstk.png

1080p Full Screen [92fps]
shadowwarrior2_2016_1k0sdc.png

1080p Window mode [122fps]
shadowwarrior2_2016_1elsgv.png

Specs: i5 2500k@4ghz + GTX 1080

---

Some bosses give me heavy performance degradation:
Before killing
https://abload.de/img/shadowwarrior2_2016_1ywsxv.png

After killing
https://abload.de/img/shadowwarrior2_2016_17tsea.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a couple of issues, one is the game doesn't always feel smooth even though my frame rate is solid, does the game have pacing issues or is it something else? It feels like the game is dropping frames but it's not. I've tried capping to 60, 70 and unlimited and it feels the same. The other issue is the mouse feels really heavy like I have VSync on when I don't, it just doesn't feel as responsive as say Doom did. This is most notable while looking horizontally.

Frame rate in general is fine, 1080p/ultra and I never go under 60fps with a GTX 970.

Vuze

Anyone playing with HDR also getting their performance cut into what feels like half? It runs marvelously with the setting off at flawless 60fps but as soon as it's turned on, I get the stuttery feel of 30fps when I turn the camera (fps counter doesn't work with HDR).

Vsync and triple buffering make no difference.

But holy hell, does it look marvelous in the very beginning. Dark cave + candles and light rays = ❤️

Anyone playing with HDR also getting their performance cut into what feels like half? It runs marvelously with the setting off at flawless 60fps but as soon as it's turned on, I get the stuttery feel of 30fps when I turn the camera (fps counter doesn't work with HDR).

Vsync and triple buffering make no difference.

But holy hell, does it look marvelous in the very beginning. Dark cave + candles and light rays = ❤️

It's terrible quite honestly, performance is awful with and without MSR, and HDR is abysmal! The banding in the sky is the worst I've ever seen!!

Vuze

It's terrible quite honestly, performance is awful with and without MSR, and HDR is abysmal! The banding in the sky is the worst I've ever seen!!
idk HDR looks pretty good to me? I noticed some slight sky banding like in every other game but nothing abysmal. Also relatively unrelated to HDR per se I'd argue.

It's just the performance that sucks. What's the problem? It can't possibly require twice the compute power. Just feels like somebody capped the Framerate at 30, it doesn't feel inconsistent or anything.

MazeHaze

Banned
Steam overlay fps counter works in hdr. Averaging around 70 fps with hdr, mixture of high and ultra and some postprocessing turned off. 1440p. Gtx980 sc and i5 4690k.

idk HDR looks pretty good to me? I noticed some slight sky banding like in every other game but nothing abysmal. Also relatively unrelated to HDR per se I'd argue.

It's just the performance that sucks. What's the problem? It can't possibly require twice the compute power. Just feels like somebody capped the Framerate at 30, it doesn't feel inconsistent or anything.

It's really jittery, without MRS at 4K it's unplayable, but with aggressive it's much better but certainly not 60fps, the sky though is another thing entirely, tons of floating bands in the sky, looks so bad.

dsk1210

From what I have seen, the HDR is pretty poor, the gamma needs dropped down to minimum to try and reach proper black levels but it still a light shade of grey which does not allow the colour to display properly.

You need to change your black level on the TV which effects every other game and your gamma settings for them as well if you use full mode instead of limited in the nvidia control panel.

I went ahead and bought it (even though I'm concerned about its potential quality) mainly because I'm dying to try a PC game with HDR. Curse me!

Lemme know what you think of the game, since we both share the same opinion that these guys are bad at level design. And now that there is no level design at all, that just makes me more skeptical.

From what I have seen, the HDR is pretty poor, the gamma needs dropped down to minimum to try and reach proper black levels but it still a light shade of grey which does not allow the colour to display properly.

You need to change your black level on the TV which effects every other game and your gamma settings for them as well if you use full mode instead of limited in the nvidia control panel.

That's not my experience. Blacks are black for me with HDR enabled, same as when it's disabled. Are you sure your RGB range setting didn't get changed when HDR kicked in? Also, no banding and a solid 60 FPS at 4k 4:4:4 (no MRS) on a Titan XP. Looks fantastic on a KS9800. I didn't even know this game existed until this thread. Bought it on principle since the developers obviously care a great deal about PC. I'll check out the actual gameplay later.

Zafir

Yeah, game is not really greatly optimized, at least not in coop.
I got several times drops to like 10-15 fps and frequent to 40 fps, with staying at 50-60 almost most of the time.

Is there any broken setting? I'm running mostly High with Med Shadows and MRS on 1440p.

Yeah that was my experience yesterday in coop. It would occasionally drop to 15-20fps.

My specs are a 3570k @ 4.2ghz and a 970gtx

I have a 4K hdr tv with a 10 bit panel but the maximum I can get to show up is 8 bpc in the Nvidia settings. What color space/mode should it be in? Is there something I need to download?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lemme know what you think of the game, since we both share the same opinion that these guys are bad at level design. And now that there is no level design at all, that just makes me more skeptical.

I thought it had level design, they say levels are randomized, not procedurally generated, so it's probably closer to Left 4 Dead 2 in terms of randomization, random enemy spawns and stuff

We have total control over how the levels are created. They will be taken from a pre-produced pool, and certain parts will be randomized. For example, you can have the same set up of a level, but in the middle of it there can be a huge castle when you play for the first time. When you play for the second time, there will be, for example, a 100 meter deep mine instead."

So they've basically designed levels, cut them up in chunks the progression is different everytime.

dsk1210

That's not my experience. Blacks are black for me with HDR enabled, same as when it's disabled. Are you sure your RGB range setting didn't get changed when HDR kicked in? Also, no banding and a solid 60 FPS at 4k 4:4:4 (no MRS) on a Titan XP. Looks fantastic on a KS9800. I didn't even know this game existed until this thread. Bought it on principle since the developers obviously care a great deal about PC. I'll check out the actual gameplay later.

A lot of people were having similar problems with Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox one as well, it might be the people running full instead of limited that are having problems, I have not tried running it in limited yet.

It could even be different TVs running with different gamma levels, for instance the Sony camp HDR demo looks amazing on the oled but the exodus clip looked washed out and blacks elevated. I think it will take a while for a proper standard to work properly across all television brands.

NIN90

Any settings recommended to turn down?
I'm fine with the performance at ultra/1080p (60-80fps on a 970/i5 6600k) but I'd prefer to keep it above 80 at most times.

dsk1210

I feel like the temporal anti aliasing is not working properly, as soon as you get to future China it looks very jaggy even at 4K, you really can't beat Unreal Engine 4's temporal solution.

MazeHaze

Banned

This is my experience too on a us ks8000. Except im at 1440p on a 980. Hdr looks fantastic, gamma settings in game are at default.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 4K hdr tv with a 10 bit panel but the maximum I can get to show up is 8 bpc in the Nvidia settings. What color space/mode should it be in? Is there something I need to download?

I'm fairly certain that under current HDMI 2.0 specs, the max you can transmit is 4K @ 60, 4:4:4 @ 8bpc. I think you'd have to switch to 4K @ 30 to have 10bpc.
(Source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx)

Feel free for someone to correct me on this, I'm trying to figure it out as well before I drop on a 4K HDR tv for a living room PC.

Vuze

NVCP just goes batshit crazy as soon as I start the game using Steam BPM and then turn on HDR. Softlocks the display to 29Hz no matter which Chroma SS or resolution I select. I can tab out, change to 60, then tab back to the game and it locks to 29Hz again despite the game being set to 60.
So atleast I know where the feel of 30fps came from last night.

E: Actually it stays at 59/60hz at measly 1920x1080. But 1440p is enough to trigger the 29hz softlock even at 4:2:0 8bit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does 10 bit make a difference in this game?
YES! Big time.

...but I cannot get it to work under most conditions.

Basically, regardless of whether I'm using chroma subsampling 4:2:0, the game wants to display in 8-bit mode while using HDR resulting in color banding.

That's at 4K60.

If I switch to 4K30, however, 10-bit is enabled and the banding goes away.

Annoying.

Stitch

Gold Member
I feel like the temporal anti aliasing is not working properly, as soon as you get to future China it looks very jaggy even at 4K, you really can't beat Unreal Engine 4's temporal solution.

It's quite poor and doesn't seem to do much.

It's quite poor and doesn't seem to do much.

"Poor" is not exactly the word I would use as TAA is very much a question of taste due to how it causes side effects. I do have specific preferences though.

The TAA in the game could just be extremely conservative so as to not cause softening / ghosting because those were deemed undesirable.

I have a 4690k not overclocked yet so running at 3.5ghz and a 970oc. Runs flawless at 1080p 60fps with everything at its highest. Surprised it runs so well, but I guess it isn't a huge looker.

YES! Big time.

...but I cannot get it to work under most conditions.

Basically, regardless of whether I'm using chroma subsampling 4:2:0, the game wants to display in 8-bit mode while using HDR resulting in color banding.

That's at 4K60.

If I switch to 4K30, however, 10-bit is enabled and the banding goes away.

Annoying.

So basically they fucked it up then!? The banding is the worst I've ever seen.

dark10x

So basically they fucked it up then!? The banding is the worst I've ever seen.
Yeah, it seems like it only sends 10-bit to the display at 4k30 (at least for me) when it should be able to do it in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

The NV HDR test program does it properly.

Buburibon

HDR is greyed out for me when running the signal through a Marantz sr7011. Connecting directly to the E6 enables it, so the issue seems to be about the receiver not being recognized as HDR capable by the game. The Nvidia HDR tool/demo works just fine. Can anyone else with an HDR Marantz receiver confirm? Thanks!

Yeah, it seems like it only sends 10-bit to the display at 4k30 (at least for me) when it should be able to do it in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

The NV HDR test program does it properly.

I hope they patch it, really putting me off playing it! Also I have to change the refresh rate everytime the game boots, as the whole picture is ridiculously blown out, that seems to correct it.

Karak

Ya no bands here that detract on the 4 test sets. Will go back and look since our time was mostly on the monitors.

MazeHaze

Banned
I hope they patch it, really putting me off playing it! Also I have to change the refresh rate everytime the game boots, as the whole picture is ridiculously blown out, that seems to correct it.

For me the game seems to automatically switch to 10bit. If I alt tab it changes to 8 bit and looks blown out. Try alt tabbing maybe?

what game properly supports HDR 10 4K60?

Would this be the first in trying to do it?

This is the first PC game to support HDR10.

Vuze

For me the game seems to automatically switch to 10bit. If I alt tab it changes to 8 bit and looks blown out. Try alt tabbing maybe?

Interesting. This combined with darks report of 10bit only being possible at 4k30 might explain my situation where the game basically overrides the whole NVCP display settings at its own and hence kicks me to 29hz refresh. I ordered a few new HDMI cables earlier today to rule that one out though (I feel like maybe my current one being 10m could get in the way, but then again shorter high speed cables I had around showed the same behavior).

MaLDo

I have a problem, framerate is locked 60 fps at ultra 1440p. But framepacing is totally wrong. No matter the settings the game is not smooth.

Using RTSS@60 fps, fixes the game and framepacing is perfect. But I think the game have to be perfect without third-party applications, seeing the great effort that the developers have put in the technical part I don't know how they missed that.

There is no console command to limit framerate.

2700K@5ghz HT on
GTX1080
32GB ram

BTW, super fun game.

Waikis

Is it truly bt 2020 w/ WCG? I can't seem to notice any difference going from 8 to 10 bit.

dark10x

Which display are you using?

When the game is running, I can no longer monitor the bit per channel being output through my receiver. It just shows "--"

I will say that I did not notice any color banding in the first stage but once you reach the hub of sorts, it was quite obvious.

Top Bottom