• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 PC Performance Thread

I didn't see a thread about the PC performance of Shadow Warrior 2, so I decided to make one. If someone else was already going to do this then please let me know and we'll get this removed.

Shadow%20Warrior%202%20header.jpg

Release Date: October 13, 2016 (1.5 days)
Developer: Flying Wild Hog
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Platforms: PC (Steam / GOG), Playstation 4, Xbox One (2017)

System Requirements:

shadowwarrior2-requirements.jpg

Graphical Options:

shadowwarrior-2-graphics-01.jpg

shadowwarrior-2-graphics-02.jpg

shadowwarrior-2-graphics-03.jpg

Features Supported:

4K Support
Ultra Widescreen
Nvidia Multi-res Shading
Chromatic Abberation
Volumetric Fog
Uncapped FPS
HDR
Photo Mode - You can enter this, take in-game pictures and edit them right there. Adjust bloom, vignette, shadow tint, DoF, SSAO and more.

Videos:

*Not my videos. I was going to do it but noticed someone already did it, so I let them know they're getting some views soon.*

SHADOW WARRIOR 2 Benchmark (4K ULTRA Settings) GTX1070 FPS TEST Gameplay 4K 60fps
SHADOW WARRIOR 2 Benchmark (1440p ULTRA Settings) GTX1070 FPS TEST Gameplay 1440p60fps
SHADOW WARRIOR 2 Benchmark (1080p ULTRA Settings) GTX1070 FPS TEST Gameplay 1080p60fps

Personal Thoughts:

During my review of the game, I tested Shadow Warrior 2 at Ultra settings @ 3440x1440 and was still hitting upwards of 100+ FPS. The game isn't as demanding as say, Gears of War 4, and the graphics are a mixture of impressive and so-so textures throughout the game.

None the less, this game is very pretty where it counts, in / during combat.

I'm incredible excited for this game, and I don't know why most people aren't. I think the gameplay looks buttery smooth and awesome and it looks like it evokes that old-school arcadey FPS sensation I've been missing since the first Serious Sam.

Wang is also a major bad ass. I love the campy horrible dad jokes and the grotesque violence and the tramp stamp art and the way they fuse pop culture into everything. Like if Tarantino directed Samurai Cop. Good-Bad in the best ways, with that Bayonetta sense of being nonsensical and stupid to the point of it being awesome.

Profanity

Wow, judging from those video benches and your impressions, this, Gears 4 and Battlefield 1 should look to wash the nasty performance taste from Forza Horizon 3 and Mafia 3 this month.

Anteater

I might just get this day one with the discount, I loved the first game and it was one of the first games I finished with a steam controller

scitek

HDR on day one?! I did not anticipate that. If so, it just proves Microsoft has no real excuse for not supporting it with FH3 and Gears 4 (no exclusive fullscreen is their own doing).

HDR on day one?! I did not anticipate that. If so, it just proves Microsoft has no real excuse for not supporting it with FH3 and Gears 4 (no exclusive fullscreen is their own doing).

I have this funny feeling it was done intentionally to leave some sort of exclusivity to xbox one. Anyways, looking forward to playing this eventually!

bede-x

I'm incredible excited for this game, and I don't know why most people aren't. I think the gameplay looks buttery smooth and awesome and it looks like it evokes that old-school arcadey FPS sensation I've been missing since the first Serious Sam.

That's exactly what I want from the game, but they lost me when they started talking about loot, upgrades and grinding. Got the feeling that this was gonna be stuffed to the brim with modern filler content that ruins many games these days.

If it turns out I'm wrong and it's quality over quantity like Serious Sam was, with no repetitive fetch quests or grinding for loot, I'm gonna be all over this.

120v

Looks like I'll get to 1440/60 no problems, not that I expected otherwise but good to know

For some reason I'm pretty hyped for this even though I never spent a whole lot of time with the last game. Have a good feeling about it

bee

what are the unlock times tomorrow?

Ya they flat out said Denuvo is anti consumer rofl

i agree with them, not many will actually come out and say

“We don’t support piracy, but currently there isn’t a good way to stop it without hurting our customers. Denuvo means we would have to spend money for making a worse version for our legit customers. It’s like this FBI warning screen on legit movies.”

but it's true

robotrock

Banned
I doubt it's actually HDR. it's probably the same definition of HDR my iPhone says it does sometimes

edit: Nevermind, just read "HDR display". Nice job Devolver!

Samaritan

Might just pick this up to support what appears to be an incredibly well-optimized PC game. My 980Ti should be able to run this without even breaking a sweat.

DJ_Lae

Looks great, and a lot of fun (wish it was out already).

Seems like it'll be one of the few recent games that won't make my 7970 feel as old as it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm so tempted to jump on but I'm quite concerned about the actual mission design here.

It seems to be quest based now with an MMO-like hook (loot, damage numbers on enemies, etc). From what I played at E3, it was not at all what I wanted.

I hope that I'm way off base here.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm so tempted to jump on but I'm quite concerned about the actual mission design here.

It seems to be quest based now with an MMO-like hook (loot, damage numbers on enemies, etc). From what I played at E3, it was not at all what I wanted.

I guess there's that but it reminded me a lot of Serious Sam.

dark10x

I guess there's that but it reminded me a lot of Serious Sam.
Shadow Warrior 2011 was exactly like Serious Sam in many ways (completely with its flaws) but Shadow Warrior 2 is nothing like that. It seems to be a completely different style of game in terms of progression.

KKRT00

Buying it tomorrow for sure. I hope that my i5 2500k wont limit me severely in terms of fps.
God i need to finally move to new CPU.

I wish every game was like this. Tons of graphics options, pushing the latest tech and no DRM. I feel like I need to buy it as a political statement as much as because I want to play it.

120v

haven't played it so i guess you're a better authority than me but... seems to me the core gameplay is intact, in spite of the progression system

really enjoying this mini-renaissance of old school shooters but i feel like it could get stale after awhile, a Diablo-y system sounds like an interesting shake up to me personally

Chromatic Abberation is a feature now? Or is that a joke? Isn't that like in almost every game and the first thing that most people turn off?

Am I missing something?

Rathorial

Nifty, didn't notice Shadow Warrior 2 would be the first PC release to support HDR. I'm guessing they're using Nvidia's method, but I hope this just gets Microsoft to offer support on if for their ports while Xbox One games already have it.

The first game was a solid port with a nice colorful art style, and I definitely want more of that game's wonderful first-person sword gameplay.

scitek

The last game had damage numbers on enemies and you could turn them off in the options.

Do we have the definitive word on to what extent the environments are procedurally generated? Or is it just procedurally generated missions/objectives/enemy placement?

dark10x

The last game had damage numbers on enemies and you could turn them off in the options.
Hmm, I had forgotten about that.

I suppose it's all about my own expectations. I found the original to be fun but insanely shallow due to very poor level design. It was just a bunch of kill rooms.

Then I played Doom this year which showed how to bring an old school shooter back. It did have some "kill rooms" at points, no doubt, but the overall experience and design of the levels was pitch perfect.

From what I've played of SW2, you're dropped into these large, somewhat aimless areas where you can accept quests. You can walk to your car to transport to the area where the quest occurs (like the ship in Destiny) and then you walk around that area following a waypoint and shooting an insane number of enemies. Something about that whole process felt uninteresting to me as there was no real level progression, just an open ended map. It didn't feel crafted at all in the way that Doom is. It could have been a parking lot, a mall, an ancient forest, etc - the actual level design and look of the stage has no impact on the gameplay. Doom, on the other hand, built its challenges around the map - from scaling that massive tower, the figuring out how to get through the Foundry, all the way to some of the crazy platforming and combat you have to do while dealing with it.

I desperately hope I am completely wrong as I REALLY want this game to shine.

Mrbob

Isn't shadow warrior 2 using some sort of random level design? I dont think you'll get as tight of an experienceeas Doom because the game is designed to be different every time you play.

Top Bottom