• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned was a great video game

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It was like a heavy metal soundtrack distilled into virtual form. Everything was metal as fuck.

Metal as fuck hero and metal babe.

gfs_111242_3_1igusz.jpg

Tight, satisfying gunplay. Great hit reactions, satisfying gore, sweet slowmo headshots. Shoot shit felt good.

shadowsofthedamned3uyk1r.jpg

Seriously, metal as fuck.

garciavzj9j.jpg

Weird.

1831599-shadows_of_thgzjkx.jpg

Rad visual style. Also metal.

shadows-of-the-damned7gk0m.jpg

Metal as fuck bosses.

1828763-1708888_shadohnc9s.jpg

Soundtrack had a heap of sweet dark ambient electronic stuff, flamenco guitar, and metal as fuck tracks with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YS0OyQpAg (PS: The OST is some of Yamaoka's best work).

akirayamaokapcsw7.jpg

And Massimo Guarini didn't get enough fucking credit.

massimoredbackground5oeslg.jpg

Great encounter and level diversity. Distinct style and personality. Great game A+ will play again.

picgifs-shadows-of-thf9u8p.gif

JohngPR

I played through this on Xbox 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seeing as Killer is Dead came out on PC, I'm really hoping Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned makes its way to PC as well.

I loved it enough to play through it three times in quick succession to get the Platinum. It's a shame about those trophies, though. Difficulty trophies should stack based on the hardest difficulty you completed.

Still, loved the atmosphere. Loved the music. Also loved Steve Blum's voice acting in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9em-WcKkY

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Felt more like a RE4 successor than RE5 did.

BadWolf

Only parts I didn't really like were the one's where the girlfriend chases you and its instant death if caught.

Really enjoyed it otherwise. Fun gameplay and very interesting world/atmosphere.

BiggNife

Fun game and definitely underrated, but there were a few sections that were so frustrating I almost gave up. The Big Boner level comes immediately to mind.

the first 2/3s are an absolute classic. Then it has way too many 2d shooting sequences and it brings the whole thing down. also, wtf at not having a new game plus in a game where it is impossible to max your stats out in one playthrough?

Give me a PC version with ng+ and ill be pretty happy. It's unreal, dammit, it can't be that hard.

Hixx

I fucking loved it. It was really funny most of the time too but it did cross the line into cringey a few times, the infamous "big boner" scene obviously being the worst culprit.

Like Bronetta said, it did remind me an awful lot of Resi 4 which is my favourite game ever so that probably helped.

marcincz

Big Boner lol.
However very good game and one of the best Japanese games on last generation IMHO.
Johnson was interesting "gun". Besides atmosphere and music by Yamaoka was brillant.
I forgot at 2 d shooting sequences which was fantastic. Really great game and highly recommend.

FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

I think the game part of it was pretty rough, but I still had a great time with the game. Wish it had come to PC so I could play it again.

Tizoc

Love this game, though surprised it's combat system is based on RE4 heh.
Wish it was on PC/Steam though, UE3 on consoles tends to fail at bringing out the great visuals a game would have :/

LiK

Great game, underrated. I only hated the instant death segment and there's no way to replay chapters which kinda sucks.

mattp

really fun game
really funny game, too. great writing (8-4 did this right?)

i don't know if it'd call it great? maybe really good. cuz it's got some obvious flaws

also, fuck the big boner stage haha

edit: also, not that it really effects the fun, the game is a technical fucking mess. half the time you're playing you get the feeling everything is being held together by string

Cikay

It was really, really cool. Resident Evil 4 gameplay in a Suda51/Yamaoka atmosphere.

Best "Suda game" since Suda stopped directing. Not as good as FSR, Killer 7 and NMH1 but way better than NMH2 and Lollipop Chainsaw.

Ooccoo

It's not that good unfortunately.

The jokes are really not that funny after a while and I thought it could have been great if it was serious.

The
2D levels are awful

Some parts are just stupid, like when your girlfriend runs to grab you. Just felt cheap and not very fun IMO

I liked it, but I understand why it got shot down by reviews. Really not as great as you make it out to be.

I literally bought this game, having had ZERO idea about what it was, how it played, how it looked, etc, based on the names on the front of the box alone.

I was most definitely pleased.

Xater

The gameplay was wonky tho

Yep, I didn't think it felt tight at all. Also has poor level design. Didn't like this game much at all, weirdness can only take you so far. For me it was the typical style over substance design of Grasshopper.

Andrew.

Banned
I liked it, but I understand why it got shot down by reviews. Really not as great as you make it out to be.

You mean it's really not as great as YOU make it out to be.

We all seem to love it. Blemishes and all.

And yeah it really needed a NG+.

It was just ok. It was like one dick joke repeated about a hundred times. The 2D parts are shit, its gimmicky diversions like the girlfriend running and Big Boner are horseshit. And the main combat is wonky and repetitive despite the game being like 7 1/2 hours.

Never really played it, though I was tempted to pick it up on the cheap a few times. Reading the topic, though, this game apparently could never easily get past a TSA checkpoint because of all the metal involved. Will consider it a future purchase if it doesn't get re-released any time soon.

Ubersnug

... also, wtf at not having a new game plus in a game where it is impossible to max your stats out in one playthrough?

You can upgrade everything in one play through if you pick up everything and find all the secret stashes. A little bit of grinding helps too! The only achievement I have left to get for the game to 1000pt it is to complete the game on easy. I played it on normal and then hard, back to back. Couldn't find it in me to go back and play through it a third time in quick succession.

Crub

I played through this on Xbox 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seeing as Killer is Dead came out on PC, I'm really hoping Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned makes its way to PC as well.

Unless EA sells the rights I don't see there even being a slight chance of that ever happening. Lollipop Chainsaw I could see, although unlikely.

Facism

amazing game.

I remember when they announced it, sounded brilliant. Then the screenshots came and it looked like Babby's First UE3.

Bought it day one and loved it. Totally felt like Resident Evil 4.75.

Marjar

Banned
It was good until the halfway point, then I just got irritated at all the dumb, unfun gimmicks that they started doing (like the godawful Big Boner section).

Also the jokes were funny at first, and then they started saying the same ones over, and over, and over, and over, etc.

Top Bottom