• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned was a great video game

MDSLKTR

Bought it for 5$ years ago, never finished because felt too janky and repetitive. Should replay it to be in the mood for evil within. Really great soundtrack tho.

AnnTiPa

I enjoyed it too and the ending was pretty damn great.
Garcia has given up and the darkness is closing in. As the player, you're still fighting on, trying to figure out what to do because you still have some control and you can see your health going down. Eventually, you just give in too and then you both just wait there for the end.
Not sure if other people felt similarly but that was my experience. Seemed pretty clever to me.

Morts

I was really liking it and even got past the awful Big Boner shooting gallery section then gave up on some bullshit instakill moment where
a monster that looks like your girlfriend jumps on you
. I never went back, but I wish I could've finished it.

NEO0MJ

The game was a lot of fun, though some parts, especially the big boner, were pretty annoying. Game was also kinda easy, good thing hard was unlocked from the start.

And I agree about the music, it was fantastic.

Love this game, though surprised it's combat system is based on RE4 heh.
Wish it was on PC/Steam though, UE3 on consoles tends to fail at bringing out the great visuals a game would have :/

Yeah, this is one of those games that I feel would really benefit from a PC port.

bumpkin

I picked this game up on the cheap and enjoyed every moment of it! I mean yeah, it was over the top. And sure, it was obsessed with dick jokes. And maybe it wasn't the best in terms of dialog or narrative. But the fact is it played just fine and had a lot of really satisfying little touches.

And come on, who can pretend that the line, "I am Garcia 'fucking' Hotspur. Hunter of demons and slayer of pendejos like you!" isn't pure awesome?

No regrets.

manfestival

dialogue of the game was absolutely fantastic. I played it because of the positive comments but the game faded into obscurity for sure. I even forgot about it despite enjoying it so much.

TasTokyo

Truly love the game. It sorely lacked NG+ though. Oh and unless I'm forgetting the ability to skip cutscenes.

I actually spent a fair amount of time and effort trying to get one of the jackets from the game but no luck. It was made by my favourite brand but just couldn't get my hands on one. Even had a friend get in touch with the PR lady of the shop. Someday I will own that jacket. Someday.

big_z

I have $10 worth of xbox points that are going to expire in 3 weeks. Ive been hoping this or banjo tooie go on sale for $9.99. i dont want to add more points to my account

DedValve

Banned
The sniper and 2D levels brought down the entire package.

That said I bought this day 1 and don't regret it. I only wish a sequel where the girlfriend teams up with Garcia Fucking whatever and that black dude all get together.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Good timing, I'm currently playing this game and having a blast. The writing is awesome, is that all Suda's work? Love all those dick jokes, can't get enough of them!

I just
killed the third grim reaper sister.

KissVibes

Banned
I probably would consider Shadows of the Damned one of my favorites of last gen if it wasn't for those fucking horrendous BIG BONER sections. Holy fuck was that just some of the worst, laziest shit I've ever seen.

I take issue with the claim that the gunplay was tight.

It really wasn't. It was wonky as hell and suffered from being unresponsive at times.

I liked some of the level design and thought the story was pretty decent, but the gunplay and somewhat repetitive gameplay let it down.

NotLiquid

"Garcia Hotspur"

Has there ever been a protagonist with a name as cool as that?

The only close thing I can think of is Travis Touchdown.

It's fun for one playthrough if you can find it cheap.
Like many already said, the sniper and 2D levels dragged it down but otherwise it's a competent TPS.
Got quite a few laughs out of it too.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
It was okay. I enjoyed the core combat, but it felt really unfocused at points, particularly toward the end, and the difficulty could have been bumped up just a notch. The roll was too powerful as well. Invincibility frames and you can spam it forever, aight Grasshopper.

Jawmuncher

It really was great. Shame it came out to almost no hype.
EA published it and called it a day. Surprised Deep Silver didn't grab it as well for PC since it uses the UE as well.

This is one of my girlfriends favorite games. Just played through it with her a few months ago and she already wants me to replay it.

I saw it for 10 euros at my local Fnac retailer... picked it up, was on the fence... now I feel more inclined to get it.

(Actually I didn't buy it because I wasn't certain if I had purchased it already or not)

Loved the art-style, I mean really loved it. Gameplay was solid as well.

But the game went off the deep end with too many side-scrolling levels, and the game's juvenile humor was never really funny at all and really hurt the game for me. Could have been a surreal gothic masterpiece, and instead wastes its potential on jokes that weren't funny back in middle school.

I attribute the poor writing to Suda, who has been a big disappointment since Killer 7.

8bit

Knows the Score
Yeah, loved it. Puerile in parts but overall great fun and definitely worth a look these days.

Mr. Virus

I was really liking it and even got past the awful Big Boner shooting gallery section then gave up on some bullshit instakill moment where
a monster that looks like your girlfriend jumps on you
. I never went back, but I wish I could've finished it.

The instakill section made me quit the game, which was annoying as I was really enjoying it up until then. The storybook sections got a more than a few chuckles due to the (admittedly juvenile) interplay between Garcia and Johnson.

Vlaphor

The game was pretty good when it was good, and really, really bad when it was bad. Also, I paid full $60 for it and beat it in four hours with no replay value. Kinda liked it, but only really have bad memories of it.

tolkir

Completed recently. I didn't like very much.
Sorry, I hate corridors and this game have plenty.

Great bosses, as you said, but the rest isn't so interesting.
Good game, but not great.

Top Bottom