• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned was a great video game

This game was so awesome. Bought it day one with no regrets.

Garcia and Johnson were absolutely hilarious. Those storybooks, especially the Stinky Crow one, were amazing.

Chabbles

I still got to pick this one up. Always wanted to get it but could never find a copy in town. Walk into the store one day and see a used copy, all excited i bring it up to the counter, 10/15 minutes of waiting while they try and find the disc, nope, cant find it, they must of lost or misplaced it they tell me.. i must check amazon for this.

DJ_Lae

I thought the premise was great and it started off pretty strong.

It was too short, though, too repetitive (impressive feat given the game's length), the jokes wore thin after a while, the big boner part was awful, the 2D parts were awful, the chase portions were cheap, and I only played the game to completion because I didn't want to leave it unfinished.

It feels like with a bit more polish it could have been something really special. And even as is it really needed some other reason to replay it...not that I wanted to with some of the awful portions of the game, I suppose.

Jb

Bought the OST signed by Yamaoka but haven't played the game yet, though I do intend to do so eventually.

Chemo

Fantastic game, I loved everything about it. I'm glad to see that so many people here enjoyed it... wish it had performed better. Definitely one of the most unappreciated games of the generation.

ErehvNt.jpg

RudoIudo

Maybe the 2D levels were too long and tedius, and the "bigboner stage" sould have contained only one section.

Still one of my favorite games last gen.

I thought the game was average on my first playthrough.
Then I tried to get the platinum... and because Suda51 has something against difficulty stacking, this required two additional playthroughs.
By the end of the second playthrough, I thought the game was bad.
By the end of the third playthrough, I hated it and thought about outright destroying the disc instead of trading/selling it.

Loved this game, played through it with the wife, she was digging it too and she had a shitty boss named Flemming at the time lol so it was hilarious that was satans name too

jett

D-Member
Don't believe EatChildren's lies. This is like a poor man's RE4. A poor man dying of hunger and covering himself with old newspapers at night.

The awfully repetitive level design was unbearable. I sold it without finishing it. I don't do that often. Or ever.

jett

D-Member
I found it a bit too repetitive and boring to finish it as well, but the premise was cool and I liked the characters.

It has style and a cool presentation no doubt. It just fails at everything else. Man, before this thread I had put the memories of the shmup sequences behind me.

The horror... The horror...

Don't believe EatChildren's lies. This is like a poor man's RE4 in terms third person shooting. A poor man dying of hunger and covering himself with old newspapers at night.

LOL. That sounds about right.
The game originally had 2 things going for it. The RE4 type gameplay and the humour. But the humour wasn't to my liking for the most part so it became a negative for the most part... and then I began to realize that it was just, as you put it, a "poor man's RE4"... couple that with some of the infuriating level design choices that Suda51 tends to make and after 3 playthroughs, I take my chance to verbally abuse this game any time I'm given the chance; this game turned me away from anything Suda51 was involved with so much that I almost missed out on the great game that is Killer is Dead.

Das-J

Law of the West
Furio agrees with you.

We were dissecting some of his work with the opening screen / main menu the other day and laughing our asses off.

It's a very distinct title in a sea of sameness - Certainly not for everyone, but it stands alone.

I have never played this game, but I really need to because I love all the other Grasshopper games. Though having just listened to this soundtrack I can say that its pretty amazing. I need to pick up a copy of this game.

KyleCross

Bought morning one and it was my GOTY for 2011. One of the all time great forgotten gems. I think the bad segments like The Big Boner and chases strengthen the game, because as bad as they are they couldn't stop the overall game from being fantastic. That's saying something.

The Evil Dead level was just pure sex to me too.

Speaking of that any fan should play the last Evil Dead game that came out; Evil Dead: Regeneration. It's actually pretty cool.

The bit where Garcia reads the book about the crow is flat out the most I've laughed while playing a game. Shame the game never came to the PC, hopefully it does at some point and I'll replay it.

Exr

The headshot zoom made this game so so satisfying. The Big Boner part sucked but otherwise I love this game.

NEO0MJ

I thought the game was average on my first playthrough.
Then I tried to get the platinum... and because Suda51 has something against difficulty stacking, this required two additional playthroughs.
By the end of the second playthrough, I thought the game was bad.
By the end of the third playthrough, I hated it and thought about outright destroying the disc instead of trading/selling it.

Yeah, I was surprised when I beat the game and only got the trophy for beating hard mode.

DVCY201

You can upgrade everything in one play through if you pick up everything and find all the secret stashes. A little bit of grinding helps too! The only achievement I have left to get for the game to 1000pt it is to complete the game on easy. I played it on normal and then hard, back to back. Couldn't find it in me to go back and play through it a third time in quick succession.

Yup, I've maxed Garcia out each and every time now. I played all 3 difficulties and by the 3rd I was really struggling to go on. Got my 1000pt, so now I never have to play it again.

The game is great, and I truly believe there is depth to it both in mechanics and story, but it felt lacking somehow. I think the level design was boring, and that's what killed it for me.

Parley

Banned
I thought the game play was fine. I didn't care much for the story and by the end I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Just not my cup of tea

Garcia Hotspur's quotes are the best.

"He sounds like a real dick-tator."
"Just tell me when I have to fuck a horse to unlock a door."

And not to forget One-Eyed William, Johnson's aunt's first husband's adopted son from the Ukraine.

Top Bottom