• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned was a great video game

Denzar

Hey, EatChildren. I'm with you man.

Fuck Resident Evil 5. This is the game that came the closest, feeling wise, to RE4 for me.

It even had a similar, though somewhat less charismatic/mysterious merchant!

A-scene-from-Shadows-of-t-007.jpg

Feed Christopher red gems and he'll barf out the wanted goods.

Just one of the many off kilter quirks SotD offers. It's absurd, crass, funny, rich, and way too short.

Wish this game was released on PC. My PS3 crapped out on me recently and I don't see a reason to buy a new one. PS4 being out and owning a decent gaming rig and all...

Felt more like a RE4 successor than RE5 did.

52264788.jpg

I don't think it's a great game for gameplay, but I interpreted the story and the relation between Garcia, who can barely read (this is only revealed with the later stories), and the overly educated skulldemon, as well as the ending, to basically be a parody of gamers and their behavior. The constant dick jokes (big boner wasn't even the worst of the bunch) and tough guy attitude, when in reality he's nearly incapable of reading and (ENDING SPOILER AHEAD)
trapped with everyone else in hell in an endless cycle, not because he's a tough guy but because he happens to love the wrong woman and basically uses the tough guy / metal thing / dick jokes as a shield to protect himself from that reality. Which in a way is what every gamer does in shooter culture anyway. "oh, I totally wasted that n00b!" and looking at gun size, while making claims about their masculinity and so on... (seriously, if you still can't imagine: theabagging) I felt that pretty obvious once the ending fits the various pieces together.

Maybe that's a strange way to see it, but that's what I got out of it. It's also in part because EDGE reviewed No More Heroes in a somewhat related form.

edit: I had not read that Destructoid article until just now.

synce

I remember having to force myself to finish this game, hoping it would get good because so many famous names were attached to it... It was bad the whole way through though, and not even the good kind of bad. I'm thinking it was Suda51 that brought down the project.

Random question, but anyone know if you could swap Aim/Shoot to L2/R2 on PS3? (I know its L1/R1)
I ask cause I might want to give this another try on a DualShock4

MrBS

I enjoyed my time with it most of the time but I'd struggle to call it great. Game has some real issues control wise at points. Love that soundtrack. Got my signed copy :D

Soodanim

Enjoy! Feel free to post impressions or notable moments. Like this:

Ha, makes me chuckle just picturing it.
Okay, I finally booted it up. I only played a very short while (until the first 3 red gems), but I already like it. It's got such a PS2 feel to it, which is a good thing. It's very game-y, if that makes sense. They don't really make them like this any more, which is a shame. I like how it gives you a clear cut objective straight away. It's a refreshing change from these games that try and set the mood and throw lots of story at you. Bam, this is how you control the guy. Bam, girlfriend and bad guy introduced, there's your objective. Bam, you've got an ex-demon floating head friend that transforms into... Well, everything so far. Then you start the game.

Top Bottom