• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II Suddenly Skyrocketed in Price

Piggus

That's crazy. I have both and remember only paying about $20 for Shenmue and about $10 for Shenmue 2 about two years ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Time to dig up my copies of Shenmue and Shenmue II. Gotta cash in while there's still no remaster.

Heh. Kind of wished my store hoarded our copies to sell at these prices. Shenmue used to be only 30 bucks at most.

Can't predict these things man.

I remember GameStop selling Shenmue II for $5 when they were winding down on sixth gen stuff. The only one I ever found in my area was incomplete and scratched to hell though so I passed.

On Tuesday night I went to a local game store late since I had passed out in the afternoon...they sold their copy at 3pm. D'OH

I've got a Dreamcast bundle deal set up for the first game...should I wait to play it myself, or can I just watch the DVD that comes with Xbox II?

Was waiting to post this until I confirmed that they were reliable
and to secure my copies first hyuck hyuck
: BRE Software is selling Xbox Shenmue II inserts and manuals for $2 a pop plus shipping. In my experience "Used" items are actually in great condition. They also have a back insert for the US Dreamcast version of Shenmue.

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased and insert and manual for the Xbox game case, as my copy is in an old Planet Hollywood rental case that I hate.

NolbertoS

I own both Shenmue 1 on DC and 2 on Xbox. i'm usually against selling games from my collection, but if a remastered is whispered soon, I'll put those games on ebay.

I own both Shenmue 1 on DC and 2 on Xbox. i'm usually against selling games from my collection, but if a remastered is whispered soon, I'll put those games on ebay.

If you're set on selling them now's the time. Any remaster news will drop the price; probably not to pre-E3 prices, but still.

I can understand Shenmue 2 if theres some contract with MS. But why not 1?

Also these issues are really nothing a little $$$ wont fix.

Because the licenses for some middleware from way back when appear to be missing and nobody seems to know who they belong to now. That's the rumour, anyway.

Nier PS3 is also now more expensive. Both can still be had around or below the prices they launched at. Not exactly hagane levels here.

ss_lemonade

If anyone's from Seattle and looking for a copy (specifically Shenmue 2 on the Xbox), Another Castle might still have some copies left. Was able to buy one the other day for $14 and it was pretty much a mint copy too.

I hesitated to grab the Japanese Dreamcast version on Amazon.jp and it has doubled in price in a day. I went ahead and bought it for 9800 yen because, shit, it's not gonna get any cheaper at this point.

Whoops forgot to put in i was talking about xbox version

Yeah it's still affordable. A big jump proportionally but not into insane territory.

I have no idea why people are paying more than $20 for Nier though. GameStop (in my area at least) still has a shitload of copies cheap, even for the PS3 since it got reprinted a while back.

I still have
Japanese DC version of shenmue 1,
American DC version of shenmue 1,
Japanese DC version of shenmue 2,
PAL DC version of shenmue 2
Domestic Xbox release of 2
My man! I'll just have to sit here with my USA DC Shen1, PAL DC Shen2 and XB Shen 2x. Much better off than a lot of people it seems.

I'm also kicking myself because I sell video games online and just don't have any DC stock that isn't my personal games and there's just no way I can part with them.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Got a great copy at a flea market for 20$ last year of the first one!

the 2nd one however, probably just watching the movie version lol

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I still have my launch copies of Shenmue 1 & 2, plus a 2nd copy of 1 that I got for free when I bought a buddy's Dreamcast.

I'm not sure. Maybe it also had something to do with licensed products in the game. I just read the rumor yesterday or so in another thread.

I don't think it could be licensed products, because brands like Timex and Coca Cola were removed from the American version of Shenmue. The only brands that were i the game were from Sega's own collection of games like Hang-On, OutRun, Space Harrier and etc.

I am curious about this though. Would be a shame if Sega lost the license to Shenmue somehow. But it also wouldn't be a surprise, give that this is Sega and they tend to lose a lot of things.

Shenmue is such a weird franchise. Really, not many people have played or owned the original Shenmue, given that it is exclusive to the Dreamcast. Shenmue II is much easier to get and play as it is playable on the original Xbox and the Xbox 360.It would be a shame to see these ones never get a re-release.

Its not the games that are a problem for me
Sum0S0s.jpg

It's that I don't have a Dreamcast anymore. The itch to play is so strong too! Grr.

ss_lemonade

I always thought Shenmue 1 looked better than 2. Maybe the smaller environments packed more detail? Wish an HD remaster would come out. I think a Shenmue game with passport quality models would still look really good (wasn't the dreamcast sort of capable of running Passport Ryo in game? I remember seeing a video of it once)

Got a great copy at a flea market for 20$ last year of the first one!

the 2nd one however, probably just watching the movie version lol
Shenmue 2 was a much better game though so I would at least try to play that too.

I ordered a copy of Shenmue II from Amazon right after the E3 conference so I got it for under 20 bucks. It was listed as only "good" condition, but all the discs work great and it came with the original case and instruction manual in great condition. I guess I lucked out.

i-Jest

If I can't get these for $30 then fuck it. I'll just wait for the eventual HD Remaster. I don't feel like playing inflated prices because the hype train is still picking up speed.

NolbertoS

Yeah it's still affordable. A big jump proportionally but not into insane territory.

I have no idea why people are paying more than $20 for Nier though. GameStop (in my area at least) still has a shitload of copies cheap, even for the PS3 since it got reprinted a while back.

I own Nier on 360, but might try to hound a PS3 copy, knowing full well that they might link both games via saves, trophies or something.

dgco86

Figure this would be a good place to ask with all the Shenmue collectors around here. I've come across a decently priced copy of Shenmue 2 for Xbox. The seller claims that it's brand new and factory sealed but it doesn't have the usual Y-Fold. I have seen a few other closed listings on eBay that have shrinkwrap instead of Y-Folds such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-XBOX...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shenmue-II-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shenmue-II-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Do you guys think this is a reseal?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Figure this would be a good place to ask with all the Shenmue collectors around here. I've come across a decently priced copy of Shenmue 2 for Xbox. The seller claims that it's brand new and factory sealed but it doesn't have the usual Y-Fold. I have seen a few other closed listings on eBay that have shrinkwrap instead of Y-Folds such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-XBOX...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Do you guys think this is a reseal?

Looks like a reseal to me.

Still got my copies of both games on the Dreamcast and Shenmue II on the Xbox in great condition in my wardrobe.

Shenmue is worth those crazy prices, honestly. There are videogames, and then there is Shenmue. The experience of Shenmue I and II is something I'll never forget and something very special to me. I urge new players to check the games out and understand just why the fans love them and are so passionate about them.

GavinGT

Banned
Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Shenmue on Partnernet for XBLA years ago? I remember seeing a screen gram ages ago, but maybe it was just a Photoshop.

Yes. Rumor is there are legal issues with some of the underlying tech, as one of the companies went under. After some of their other DC re-releases underperformed, Sega decided it wasn't worth it to untangle the legal mess and didn't release it.

I sold my copy of shemue 2 last week for $60 , that's enough for shemue 3 so I'm all set B^)

Usually previous game titles go up in value when a sequel is announced x released , really silly

I also had chances to get shenmue 1 for like $10-$15 for ages and ages lol

MaulerX

I still have my Dreamcast Shenmue and Xbox Shenmue II in mint as well. I think one of the reasons why so many people want a physical version of Shenmue III is to not only add to their collection but have a collection that can in theory and potentially be worth something.

Audioboxer

I still have
Japanese DC version of shenmue 1,
American DC version of shenmue 1,
Japanese DC version of shenmue 2,
PAL DC version of shenmue 2
Domestic Xbox release of 2

You mean you did have. My pet Khajiit has already infiltrated your home and stole everything.

Top Bottom