• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II Suddenly Skyrocketed in Price

Biker19

Banned
If both Shenmue I & II were to come out in a collection for PS4, then that would actually make the skyrocketed prices null & void.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got these about 2-3 years ago and haven't touched them yet, but I guess I should start playing sometime soon.
kKGgfC9l.jpg

I have my US Xbox and PAL Dreamcast copies of Shenmue 2 and I saw them very recently. I don't have an Xbox or a working 360 but might be able to get the DC copy going.

Huh...this thread reminds me I have a DC copy of 2 gathering dust. Started but never completed.

My DC is still hooked up to my monitor no less, ready to go. So there's only one thing to be done...
eBay the shit out of it.

kiryogi

Banned
GDI there was a copy of DC Shenmue 2 on Amazon and now its gone. D: Eff, I don't want to have to whale for this on Ebay

If anyone one GAF wants to sell their copy of DC Shenmue 2, I am absolutely game, but please don't ask for something super insane. I'm willing to pay high, but not that high.

Jawmuncher

I'm sure the downloads of Roma have probably sky rocketed to. That's usually how these things go. Then if there's a HD version everything kind of crashes.

Interesting. I have the first on Dreamcast, and was looking for a PAL copy of 2 for a while, but never found a good enough deal to jump on one.

Hopefully we get an HD remaster in time for Shenmue 3, or I'll have to go back and grab Shenmue 2 for DC or Xbox at inflated prices!

narton

Wow, I almost traded it as a used book store for like $12. I decided against it. It's got the case and everything.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
GDI there was a copy of DC Shenmue 2 on Amazon and now its gone. D: Eff, I don't want to have to whale for this on Ebay

If anyone one GAF wants to sell their copy of DC Shenmue 2, I am absolutely game, but please don't ask for something super insane. I'm willing to pay high, but not that high.
Xbox version works on 360

cj_iwakura

My friend was lamenting how much he wanted my DC Shenmue II before this happened. It wasn't exactly cheap back then either.

My dreamcast version is still pristine, if I get strapped for cash I might have to sell it... nah. Same with the guide, wow this stuff held up well in my closet.

XanaviF30

I think I might fire up my Dreamcast tonight. It's been many years, not quite sure where I'd left off in the game. Then perhaps Shenmue II afterwards.

Does anyone know if Shenmue II is backwards compatible with the 360?

Edit: Nvm. Yes, now to dig out my 360.

bought I+II japanese on their respective launches.

same when the western versions were released, all still in perfect condition.

i will never part with them!

Neither title has ever been on a Sony platform, so there's no version to put on PSN.
PSN? Shenmue 1 and 2 have never been available in any digital platform ever.

All the more reason for Sega to make a port to PSN/Steam before Shenmue 3 comes out. A simple digital port. It doesn't even have to be an HD Remaster. But if Sonic Adventure, Nights and Jet Set Radio got that treatment I don't see why Shenmue couldn't.

Hastati

I really think we will see at least Shenmue II in some form of re-release. It's been so long since the games came out, and with all of this positive PR and momentum it would be the right timing to create a remaster or at least a cheap port as others have said.

Hell, they could even add on the ports as upper level Kickstarter stretch goals. I don't think that cinematic recaps will cut it.

CloakBass

Crazy! I distinctly remember buying Shenmue II brand new at FYE for a discount some years back. First game was not that expensive either when I bought it new on eBay 10 years ago.

I checked ebay the night of the announcement and passed up a number of copies around $40. Since then I busted out my Dreamcast, ordered a VGA adapter, got everything hooked up, and when I looked to buy the game it had doubled. I'll give it a month or so to calm down I guess.

In the meantime, turns out I have access to Skies of Arcadia so I'll be getting some use out of the setup after all.

I'm going to a convention soon so I'll be on the lookout for Shenmue for sure. Luckily I've got II sitting here and ready to go. I was very happy to learn that II works on the 360, since I really do not want to figure out how to hook up an original xbox to a monitor.

WITHE1982

Looks like I'll have to wait to finally play Shenmue 2. No way am I paying £100+ for a copy now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a HD remake so all the scalping scumbags are left with egg on their faces.

The sad thing is I had a copy in my amazon basket around a month ago for £35 and held off due to a nagging wife. I think the lesson learned here is a) don't hesitate when buying games and b) kill my wife.

I also live in a part of the UK where sourcing retro games is almost impossible. We have something like 10 charity (thrift) stores in the entire city (with 0 DC games) and only 1 decent retro games store in the region (and he doesn't have Shenmue). Oh how I'd love to live in the states right now where huge thrift stores seem to be on every street corner.

I have a near mind condition Shenmue for dreamcast. All discs manuals and the cases are perfect. The cardboard box has wear and tear.
Its UK pal.

Was going to eBay it but meh...

Doczu

Gold Member
Are they going for around 100 punds each? Wow, that's a rise in the price. I bought them years ago from someone in the US and payed maybe a 100 bucks for both. Back then with my exchange rate that was pocket change compared to now. And even then i found it a bit pricey (and i still haven't finished Shenmue II...). Games are in great condition, but those crappy EU cases...

MaxiLive

Sega would be pretty silly not to capitalize on this hype and re-release the first two.

But then again, it's Sega so... :/

I'm sure they are looking into it and if they do make a HD version it will be coming out in 2 years time when Shenmue 3 is due to be out. That is how you capitalize on sales.

Ushay

I still think they need to reboot from the start to get a new audience into the game and story. 2 console generations have passed since the first games lol.

You know it makes sense.

Alx

Maybe it's time to give away my DC copies of I and II, I haven't touched them in... well 14 years probably.

dh4niel

HD ports of the first 2 seem like a good bet. I can't even remember what happened in those games bar the meme stuff.

SarBear

I've had my copy of Shenmue for DC for years and i think I've only played about 30 minutes of it. Never could get into it. Me thinks I'll be selling it to a more appreciative soul.

Was waiting to post this until I confirmed that they were reliable
and to secure my copies first hyuck hyuck
: BRE Software is selling Xbox Shenmue II inserts and manuals for $2 a pop plus shipping. In my experience "Used" items are actually in great condition. They also have a back insert for the US Dreamcast version of Shenmue.

Heh. Kind of wished my store hoarded our copies to sell at these prices. Shenmue used to be only 30 bucks at most.

Can't predict these things man.

Top Bottom