• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II Suddenly Skyrocketed in Price

Persona7

Banned
Still have my copy of both games and want to replay them; however, I think I'm going to wait for the potential HD release. I think Sega will want to cash in closer to the Shenmue 3 release.

I am thinking they will release Shenmue HD in about a year and then Shenmue 2 HD a year after that.

Z3M0G

These really need a $30 HD collection release prior to the release of 3...

Unless that may do more harm than good to the sales of 3... those games did NOT age well...

Even as a person who loved the original when it released, it would be difficult to return and play it again. Generations after mine would puke if they tried playing them...

https://youtu.be/w7UsQFsU93k?t=28

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you want to play the DC games, just buy a cheap DC and pirate them. No need to give some opportunistic tool all your money. Give it to Yu instead.

I have my S1 DC and S2 Xbox lying around somewhere...

KageMaru

Still have my copy of Shenmue 1 on the DC and Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. BC on the 360 is one of the reasons I haven't sold that system yet.

I have Shenmue 1, but when I tried to hook it up my dreamcast disk drive is now dead. I want to replay it, but I don't really want to buy another one if I don't have to.

Are any of the Dreamcast emulators good? I checked out NullDC last night briefly but it kind of screwed up the shadows on the main character and then my computer locked up after a few minutes (maybe unrelated I haven't duplicated the lockup). Is there a better option? Are there recomended settings somewhere for better accuracy?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Wow. Over the last 2 years I've picked up Shenmue 1 for $8 and 2 for $3 while I was out in thrift stores filling up my Gamecube collection. I'm glad I bought them when I did.

Thaedolus

If you want to play the DC games, just buy a cheap DC and pirate them. No need to give some opportunistic tool all your money.

I have my S1 DC and S2 Xbox lying around somewhere...

Look at this guy.

I've still got my DC Shenmue I and Xbox Shenmue II, though no Xbox to play it on at the moment. I got Shenmue II for 2 bucks at a used game store like 8 years ago. I shan't part with it.

inner-G

Banned
Amazon is a pretty shitty reference for used game prices.

People list stuff for crazy expensive on there. eBay sold listing is usually the best gauge.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Look at this guy.

I've still got my DC Shenmue I and Xbox Shenmue II, though no Xbox to play it on at the moment. I got Shenmue II for 2 bucks at a used game store like 8 years ago. I shan't part with it.

Shenmue 2 is BC on 360, so you can play it on there.

robochimp

I was doing some spring cleaning last week and was getting all of my Dreamcast stuff ready to post on ebay. I'm really glad I didn't get around to it.

Amazon is a pretty shitty reference for used game prices.

People list stuff for crazy expensive on there. eBay sold listing is usually the best gauge.

It's going for around 80, was going for sub 30 last week.

So I have an unworn, still shrink wrapped Shenmue promo shirt that I got at E3 like 15 years ago. Does anyone want to offer me a stupid amount of money for it?

kiyoaki

Used Japanese copies of Shenmue I are still very affordable on Amazon.jp and Yahoo Auctions. Shenmue II however seems to be a good bit more expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=シェンム

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&p=シェンムー&x=0&y=0

I sold my PAL copies way back in the day, but maybe I'll pick up the Japanese version for a replay. There's a lot of time left between now and the end of 2017.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'd never sell my Dreamcast or Xbox copies but it will be amazing to play through both the games again and know that the story is finally getting an ending.

Tizoc

I hope not. I'd rather Ys Net focus on just making Shenmue 3. Let somebody else use their own funds to make it happen.

Shenmue 1 at least has been ready for release, it's just a matter of when.
If that extra money can be like given to SEGA to clear any ish up...
not saying that's possible but hey.

I-hate-u

There were rumors a while ago that Sega remastered them and then just didn't release it. Maybe the Shenmue 3 hype will make it finally happen

I heard SEGA has those rights. Still though, make a deal with or a cut of the profits!

Strange indeed.

SEGA owns the IP

balls in their court

Those are Sega's games and it's up to Sega, for Shenmue 3 they just acquired the rights to make a sequel from Sega and they make the game by themselves.

Still with the success of the Kickstarter campaign which is tangible proof of market interest, it won't be that hard to convince Sega to release HD digital versions of Shenmue1&2 so imo it's just a matter of time.

Third Party Relations are no strangers to taking IPs from different publishers and working on them with different developers.

Gio and Sega pls. I want to experience the first 2 games.

messiaen

I see Japanese imports on eBay for $40, but do those work on my US Dreamcast and have the English dub/sub?
For starters Dreamcast games were region locked. It's pretty easy to get around this though. You can download and burn a boot disc. They're probably still up somewhere online. You can also buy a boot disc, in code breaker/dc-x. Other option is mod chip.

As far as English for two goes though, only the PAL DC release has English subtitles and the US/PAL Xbox edition has a full English dub.

Honestly you can buy the game and play it via emulator. It's nice to go between the Dreamcast ones because two will import your data/belongings from one. Although the Xbox one gives you a vast majority of toys and such from the first game. But no cassettes from what I recall.

sniperpon

Hah, crazy... I can verify this; I was just looking at Shenmue on eBay two days ago. Going price was $30-$40, complete in box. Sure enough, $100+ today.

Don't even know why I was looking in the first place; I have a Dreamcast in the house, but it can't run Shenmue to save its life (not one but two copies borrowed from friends, couldn't get even fifteen minutes into the first disc without locking up with either copy), despite running every other game I own just fine.

They might not be worth replaying anyway; I played through them both right when they came out in North America (so, on Dreamcast and Xbox, respectively), and even brand new they had some pretty questionable design, especially in the case of the second game. I can't imagine they've aged well if they were sketchy to begin with.

But I loved them both and backed the Kickstarter campaign anyway (who said logic is required when making decisions?) :D

Vinc

I never played these games and I really, really want to. Please give me an HD collection of the first 2 on PS4, Sony!

Thaedolus

For starters Dreamcast games were region locked. It's pretty easy to get around this though. You can download and burn a boot disc. They're probably still up somewhere online. You can also buy a boot disc, in code breaker/dc-x. Other option is mod chip.

As far as English for two goes though, only the PAL DC release has English subtitles and the US/PAL Xbox edition has a full English dub.

Honestly you can buy the game and play it via emulator. It's nice to go between the Dreamcast ones because two will import your data/belongings from one. Although the Xbox one gives you a vast majority of toys and such from the first game. But no cassettes from what I recall.

I don't believe boot discs work on all Dreamcasts FYI...They worked on my launch day unit (now broken) but not the replacement I bought which was manufactured later.

My Dreamcast copies are still in pretty damn good condition. Would never part with them though. Far too much sentimental value involved for me to do that.

Fox Mulder

It's the worst time to buy these obviously, phantom dust jumped in price last year too.

Sega could have released these digitally years ago to see the demand that's on display now, but they're Sega.

Fox Mulder

This. Sega get your head out your ass and be competent for once and recognise a good business opportunity.

They just don't give a shit. I would love for there to be a third party Criterion Collection type publisher willing to license distribution rights of games that parent companies dont want to bother with.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
SEGA could make a very nice profit if they could release an HD remaster soon.

Apparently, they already had the games running on other systems, but licensing problems with some third-party software component in the game prevented them from releasing it. As far as I know, the license holder for that component is unclear, since the original license holder does not exist anymore.

I hope that Sega sees this as an opportunity to iron out these issues and get the games out there.

Yeah, as someone who has never played the first two it was hard for me to get hyped about this since I knew there essentially be no way of playing the first two without paying a ridiculous amount of money.

I mean, Sega has like two years to at least port these games over to a newer console, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom