• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II Suddenly Skyrocketed in Price

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Apparently, they already had the games running on other systems, but licensing problems with some third-party software component in the game prevented them from releasing it. As far as I know, the license holder for that component is unclear, since the original license holder does not exist anymore.

I hope that Sega sees this as an opportunity to iron out these issues and get the games out there.

Here is the post I was referring to.

It seems there are legal/copyright problems prevented HD ports from happening:
vMSkiyc.jpg

oiSesQI.jpg

[Source: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47323]

Fhtagn

I went to Amazon and bought a copy of II for like $20 right after the conference. So glad I didn't wait.

Same. I might even already own it. I know for sure I have the euro DC version, but my memory of which Xbox games I own is hazy beyond Otogi and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I figured I should jump on it immediately rather than waiting till I had a chance to look for it. Glad I did.

Apparently, they had already had the games running on other systems, but licensing problems with some third-party software component in the game prevented them from releasing it. As far as I know, the license holder for that component is unclear, since the original license holder does not exist anymore.

I hope that Sega sees this as an opportunity to iron out these issues and get the games out there.

Now that Shenmue III is on the (distant) horizon, the world is screaming out for a HD collection, and Sega would do well to release it in the foreseeable future while there's still a buzz surrounding the series. Surely there's some way to get past these apparent licensing issues and make it happen. Isn't that what we have lawyers for?!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Third Party Relations are no strangers to taking IPs from different publishers and working on them with different developers.

Gio and Sega pls. I want to experience the first 2 games.

As beloved as Shenmue 1 is, and as much as I would play a HD remaster were it to come out, I don't think anyone who has never played it and is used to modern open world games would get it. It's really small, really idiosyncratic and quirky, quite boring, etc. It really is an interesting game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
have 1 on DC. Never imported 2 on DC. It's now $150... wondering if it's negligible in price to just get that, than an XBox copy of 2 and an XBox to play it on.

Teletraan1

Banned
Number 3 of a game that has no roots or history on the playstation platform is rough going. I played these back in the day and i can't remember shit about the plot. I hope to god they include at bare minimum some sort of intro that covers the plot of the first 2 games. In some sort of dream world they include 1 and 2 as a remaster.

I should've expected this. Nobody really cared about Shenmue's monetary value before this Kickstarter happened. I still have the original game on Dreamcast, but I never bought part two :(

Yep. Tried to buy a copy Monday night but the asshole seller cancelled because they "couldn't find it". Horseshit.

It's aight though, have the bonus DVD+insert+manual coming plus I have a reasonably priced copy coming from an online retailer (if they ship).

Yuterald

Just bit the bullet and bought complete copies for both games on eBay. Expensive, but not the worst amount of money I've spent on rare games... =/

I was on ebay last night when this thought hit me, I saw a few "complete" editions of Shenmue available and bid on each one, raising them all from $30 to $60 dollars. I honestly couldn't justify more than that with my schedule right now, especially since I don't own a dreamcast.

Really hope they do a rerelease because I'd like to play these.

I have both already on dreamcast, but my Dreamcast has been borked for about 5 years.

It's not so much the price of DC's that's putting me off, but most of the photos on ebay looking fucking disgusting.

MilkBeard

Glad I have both. Bought Shenmue I a long time ago when I found it in a used bookstore. Didn't have a Dreamcast at the time either (I'd long sold it). I have one now though.

I decided to pick up Shenmue II a year or two back, and buying the PAL version wasn't cheap. I assume that version will go up quite a bit as well.

EDIT:
Same thing is happening with a little masterpiece called Nier. I know I bought a copy.

Also glad I got my copy a few years ago. Gonna pop that one back in soon :)

Audioboxer

Managed to nab a Dreamcast with 2 controllers and a copy of Shenmue 1 on Ebay for £39.

Shenmue 2 is the issue... I want it for DC, but dem prices.

I have played it before, but it was way back in the day, and sadly not on my DC (only 1, never played 2). I went Sega > Sony. Master System, Megadrive, PS1, then PS2.

bigace33

Welp, I can confirm that the thirst is real. Just listed my copy on Amazon for $48 and it sold within minutes. Going to my spot tomorrow to get another copy for myself, and a couple to sell while it's still hot.

Boke1879

Welp, I can confirm that the thirst is real. Just listed my copy on Amazon for $48 and it sold within minutes. Going to my spot tomorrow to get another copy for myself, and a couple to sell while it's still hot.

If you're going to sell them for 48. I hope I can get in on that.

Teenage me was a fucking idiot for trading Shenmue 1 in for a copy of Auto fucking Modellista.

There's one mom & pop shop I know of that might have it for a price that isn't retarded. Guess I'll hit them up this Friday and see.

Screw that.

Having copies of both prove that I liked Shenmue before it was cool.

To be fair to myself I really wanted 1 but sold my first Dreamcast before I could get a copy, and the copy of 2 that I had was in terrible/almost unplayable condition so I traded it in.

But yeah, pretty ashamed of myself to have to scramble like this. Looked through my Xbox games to make sure I didn't still have a copy...I own Backyard Wrestling 2 and The Guy Game for Xbox but not Shenmue II.

God dammit past me.

Balb

Wonder what these new buyers will think of the games. They're special games but they're also not for everyone.

evil ways

Glad I kept my DC and Shenmue 1. I still have Shenmue 2 for Xbox, but since my 360 is dead, I'm hoping Sega rereleases them on PSN before I decide to fork money on an used Xbox.

Gonna check my local shops for Shenmue 2 this weekend. Question though, I don't have internet right now and I heard somewhere you have to download some kind of game-specific update for 360 compatibility. Is it true?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I do believe i have a copy of Shenmue II with the movie completely brand new sealed in its wrapper still. I think i brought two of them when i came out. Also have original Shenmue for DC. Funny i forgot S2 is playable on X360

Dimefan3

Not surprising, but still sucks - I was hoping to pick up both at some point.

Hopefully Sony put both games up on PSN at some point.

III-V

I have never played either one, so I am not sure what the hype is about. I trust in the Gaf tho so I am sure its a great series. Is there any way to pick one up, maybe virtual copy on the cheap?

Dr. Buni

I want to give Shenmue a try again, but there's no way I am paying that much for it. Hopefully those games will be made available on Steam soon.

Top Bottom