• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

op_ivy said:
terrific impressions.

how sick did helmet cam make you? :p
seriously though, any impressions on the helmet cam? dying to know if looking into corners, and the other additions to this camera, really works

Heres my helmet-cam clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMY2lW6qZIg

It predicts corners somewhat and that can be annoying at first, since it shifts the camera angle without your input. It is harder to judge which way your car is actually going :D

Here is another clip showing the effect of jumping, it is not a smooth landing ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7GtGU88VM

saladine1

Noisepurge said:
Heres my helmet-cam clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMY2lW6qZIg

It predicts corners somewhat and that can be annoying at first, since it shifts the camera angle without your input. It is harder to judge which way your car is actually going :D

Here is another clip showing the effect of jumping, it is not a smooth landing ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7GtGU88VM
If you go even faster over that jump, you can completely lose it and flip after the initial landing.....amazing!

There are a few things that I don't like:

The graphics are....not all that to be honest. If you really want a graphical showcase get the PC version. There's a weird grey sheen on the cars in the garage and the trees look strange. Aliasing is bad as well.

Here's a strange one....upgrades: (try to follow,lol)

Example- Exhaust
There's no stage 1,2,3. You have: high flow muffler,catback exhaust and headers.
Now, when you buy the muffler,it installs and you gain a little power. But, if you install cat back exhaust, you lose that high flow rear muffler. Then, if you install some headers, you lose the cat back exhaust!!
WTF!!!
Those items you uninstalled are still there but not as a purchased items. You have to buy them again if you want them back. Why would they uninstall my exhaust system just because I installed some headers?

Same thing with Cylinder Heads. First option is street valves and 3 angle valve seat. If you install the next option which is large valves, port and polish, you lose the valve seat job you previously did. Then, if you choose the next option, heavy duty springs and retainers, you lose the large valves and port 'n' polish!
How the fuck can some retainers have more horsepower potential than large valves and port and polish?
What they've done is, treat each upgrade in a particular mod as stage 1,2,3 when they're not supposed to. Those 3 upgrades should work off each other and not be seperate...

saladine1 said:
If you go even faster over that jump, you can completely lose it and flip after the initial landing.....amazing!

yeah i tried to slow it down before it launched, have to be really careful with jumps in this game, especially this shanghai track since it has 2 jumps, both ending in a wall :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
saladine1 said:

thats awesome, but i can already see people complaining about "crashing" on jumps (raised on dukes of hazard i guess)

Noisepurge said:

That's exactly what I don't like about this kind of camera :(

Arucardo

Thanks so much for the impressions saladine1, made me confident enough about the game to pre-order the limited edition for pc (I can think of worse ways to spend the 30eur I paid for it). I'll be sure to try it with the living room setup too (50" plasma and 5.1 sound).

rise888

saladine1 said:
I'm playing on Xbox 360 with a Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo and rennsport stand.

As for track width, it does depend on which view you play in that affects how wide the track looks. Playing from bumper makes the track feel wider while playing in helmet or cockpit makes it look narrower. It also depends on the width of the car you are using. I positioned the in game car with it's real life counterpart on the same stretches of road (Bathurst) and IMO, the in game tracks look like the same width as the real one....

Helmet can DOES NOT MAKE YOU SICK!
The G force exaggerations we saw in previous videos is sort of toned down to be honest. Sure, there's movement but it's fine and very playable imo. It takes a little time to get used to but the look to apex is subtle and not that bad really.

With regards to more powerful vehicles, I drove an Aston Martin V8 and Porsche 911 GT3 around the ring and they too are very controllable,very stable compared to SHIFT 1. It's an awesome experience imo, the cars lose grip when you expect them to, and handle very,very well.....

I have a PWTS as well. How's the force feedback?

saladine1

rise888 said:
I have a PWTS as well. How's the force feedback?
It's not the best thing i've felt but it gives enough to know it's working...
If you really want to feel the FF at it's strongest, use 1 (drift) setting on the wheel and not 2 or 3.

NHale

T Ghost said:
X360 graphics on this feed look so...

meh... :{ Oh, well. at least damage looks to be cool.

I've seen X360 videos where the graphics look very good but others have a bad IQ with lots of jaggies.

dwebo

So, what's the autolog implementation like?

Also, what's the deal with EA and Ferrari? I know that they weren't in Hot Pursuit either, but then Atari had them in Test Drive Unlimited 2? Something to do with the damage modeling?

sneaky77

Thanks for the impressions guys, keep them coming. I may have to jump in if the handling is that improved.

Edit: the only events I am not too sure about is the drfiting stuff... any impressions on that.

watching the stream, night racing looks terrifying

Also, no wheel here, so impressions with pad welcomed

offshore

NHale said:
Hmm.

Firstly, I can see how that XP meter at the top of the screen is going to be distracting. But secondly, the XP bar increased faster when the person was on the racing line. All well and good, but it's going to mean that people who race with the racing line on are going to increase XP faster than those who turn the racing line off.

Let's face it, everyone takes corners differently, and if you're not doing it the way the game wants you to do it, i.e. the "wrong" way in the games view, it's not going to increase the XP for you. Seems kind of silly.

1-D_FTW

Haha. Reading those impressions, I would have probably purchased right now on Steam.

Thank you, EA. Ability to impulse buy = denied. I guess making sure the game doesn't suck and waiting for a deal >>>> pre-order bonuses.

NHale

offshore said:
Firstly, I can see how that XP meter at the top of the screen is going to be distracting.

There is an option to customize your hud in the "Gameplay options".

offshore said:
But secondly, the XP bar increased faster when the person was on the racing line. All well and good, but it's going to mean that people who race with the racing line on are going to increase XP faster than those who turn the racing line off.
You will still be awarded XP if you're on the racing line even if you don't use the racing line aid.

fozzy

Drifting (on pad) is very satisfying. When you get it right. You really have to keep the speed up to keep the momentum. Especially on the smaller tracks.

I found that using a lower powered car worked much better.

Loving the muscle cars at the moment. They sound so good.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Has anyone decided to buy the PC version of this game tomorrow, instead of waiting for it to come out on Steam? If so, why are you doing it?

offshore

NHale said:
You will still be awarded XP if you're on the racing line even if you don't use the racing line aid.
I know that...I think you misunderstood. Probably my fault for bringing turning on or off the racing line into it.

My point was that in pretty much every type of motorsport, the racing line a driver takes varies, and indeed varies under different circumstances. In Shift, the racing line is laid out, and it seems that you have to stick to it if you want more XP. This is not how real racing works. So if you take a particular driving line that the game deems "wrong", your XP is going to level up more slowly.

Rewarding the player for sticking to a specific line that SMS have determined seems dumb, especially when in real world racing, the line is not adhered to lap after lap. XP progression should be based on wins, fastest laps and laps led, not sticking to some bullshit racing line.

Honestly, I think this XP system is going to infuriate me as much as GT5's did.

offshore said:
I know that...I think you misunderstood. Probably my fault for bringing turning on or off the racing line into it.

My point was that in pretty much every type of motorsport, the racing line a driver takes varies, and indeed varies under different circumstances. In Shift, the racing line is laid out, and it seems that you have to stick to it if you want more XP. This is not how real racing works. So if you take a particular driving line that the game deems "wrong", your XP is going to level up more slowly.

Rewarding the player for sticking to a specific line that SMS have determined seems dumb, especially when in real world racing, the line is not adhered to lap after lap. XP progression should be based on wins, fastest laps and laps led, not sticking to some bullshit racing line.

Honestly, I think this XP system is going to infuriate me as much as GT5's did.
Well if its anything like Shift 1, you're going to get XP regardless of how you drive. You get XP for clean overtakes, dirty overtakes, trading paint, clean sectors, mastering corners, clean laps, top speed achieved, etc etc. So, yeah, you might be "losing out" on the driving line XP, but you should still end up balancing it out by gaining xp in other ways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
isamu said:
Has anyone decided to buy the PC version of this game tomorrow, instead of waiting for it to come out on Steam? If so, why are you doing it?

and if you buy it from EA download store, how well does that integrate with steam? i.e can I add an icon to my steam to launch it directly as though it was downloaded from steam, or does it have to launch an EA client first? (never used the EA store)

Question about helmet cam - that video clip made it look like the car was moving all over the place. Presumably it isn't, and its just a side-effect of the 'helmet' moving. How distracting is it when you're actually driving?

Peterthumpa

For those who bought using EADM, is the game available yet?
Bought it yesterday and I still can't see the game on my games list.

T Ghost

Am I the only one that loathes autolog?

I absolutely hate it. To the point that Autolog is the one thing that makes me give up on playing more of NFS:hot pursuit. I don't like people peeking on what every step I do on the game I am playing.

But my main gripe is the fact that after I bust my a... to win a race I realize that I'm the 3rd, 7th or 8th on my friends list for that particular race. That's when my extreme competitive nature kicks in and I spend my whole gaming time (a rare treat with my busy schedule) for that day in frustration, obsessively trying to beat X or Y friend on the same race. Over, and over, and over... After all that effort, no winning sensation, no progression sensation, just the feeling that my session was a failure. Despite the fact that I beat that race over 20 times in a row. For me autolog completely ruins the experience.

About the Eurogamer review, it got me worried. The excessive oversteer killed Shift 1 for me. Happy that I learned the lesson from Shift 1 and "Gameflyed" it before buying. I'll know better when I try the game tonight..

ElyrionX

Holy shit. That is a truly impressive track list. Spa, Monza and Silverstone?

Anyone playing this on the PS3? Need impressions! How are the graphics compared to GT5? I hear good things about the sound design but does that apply to the PS3 version?

Count me in as among those who bought a full racing setup for GT5, only to find the experience fairly underwhelming ultimately. Now I've got a full racing cockpit and a G27 collecting dust in my room.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Depends on what you found underwhelming. If you thought it was a little boring and dry--then you'll probably be happy with Shift. If it wasn't a realistic enough simulation for you, well then... you're screwed.

markao

Think I'm more or less done with updating :phew:

Added latest cars (mercedes, porsche, nissan), track layout images (so far I could find/right layout, if not let me know) and first review score.

Now back to playing crysis 2 ;)

ElyrionX

mik said:
Depends on what you found underwhelming. If you thought it was a little boring and dry--then you'll probably be happy with Shift. If it wasn't a realistic enough simulation for you, well then... you're screwed.

The racing was great but the whole package was terrible. The sound was HORRENDOUS. Graphics on many tracks were far from impressive. Events were lacking in variety and quantity. "Career" mode was a joke. Interface was beautiful but got really annoying over time.

Porkepik

ElyrionX said:

Anyone playing this on the PS3? Need impressions! How are the graphics compared to GT5? I hear good things about the sound design but does that apply to the PS3 version?

Count me in as among those who bought a full racing setup for GT5, only to find the experience fairly underwhelming ultimately. Now I've got a full racing cockpit and a G27 collecting dust in my room.
just bought it on ps3 , I'll let you know, have a wheel but just a puny logitech wireless FF

saladine1

ElyrionX said:

Don't expect the graphics to be awesome. It alright, but not the best i've seen. This applies to all platforms to be honest.
With regards to the experience. Imo, it's light years ahead of both GT5 and FM3 in terms of immersion.It gives you the feeling that you're actually involved in motor racing.
The sounds,the crashes, the debris on the track, the racing..etc all feel authentic. The AI is more challenging therefore, making the racing very intense...

Porkepik

saladine1 said:
Don't expect the graphics to be awesome. It alright, but not the best i've seen. This applies to all platforms to be honest.
With regards to the experience. Imo, it's light years ahead of both GT5 and FM3 in terms of immersion.It gives you the feeling that you're actually involved in motor racing.
The sounds,the crashes, the debris on the track, the racing..etc all feel authentic. The AI is more challenging therefore, making the racing very intense...
I agree on that on PS3. GRaphically it's not GT5, much more pixellated, maybe running sub 720p. On my 100'' pj screen it's not a sight to behold. Sound wise it is very good, netcode seems stable and fast. Very immersive because of the debris,crashes,.... I like the dynamic headcam. I like the game, pay in mind i'm not a good driver lolll

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
1up review is up... B+

http://www.1up.com/reviews/shift-2-unleashed-review

Among the many accomplishments of Shift 2 Unleashed, there is one that stands out above all others: It made me clench my buttocks.

In the spirit of full disclosure, that happened a number of times throughout my Shift 2 career. The first time I was conscious of the phenomenon was on a race through Shanghai on a track I thought I knew. Speeding down a straightaway, I reached an unfamiliar rise in the road and, before I knew it, took flight. It was at the pinnacle of this jump where I realized things would not end the way they do in movies, and, *cue glutes*. Sure enough, as the weight of my car transferred forward, I plunged to the tarmac in a violent, twisting, blurry crash that was truly harrowing.

I laughed, this is the best intro to a game review EVER.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
saladine1 said:

yeah, i REALLY hope forza took notes on shift 1 and 2's camera system and are implementing something similar for F4. as much as i love forza, racing feels very sterile now after having played shift, and i'd love for F4 to have the best of both worlds

Ranger X

So it looks like I just confirmed I will not buy this game.
The ONLY FLAW I wanted fixed is totally still there: bullying bullshit AI.

Shift-2-Rubbing1-590x368.jpg

Thank you PCgamer, you just saved me time and money! :D

ElyrionX said:

it is quite blurry, nothing to write home about visually. GT5 wipes the floor with it ;D

Sound design is amazing though and it is has a good sense of speed. Definately more hollywood than simulation.

Ranger X

twinturbo2 said:
I'd rather have aggressive AI than boring follow-the-lines AI. You know, to keep me interested.

Yeah but if you want realism (something they said the game was SUPPOSED to offer), you don't want people always trying to ram you down. That's not what agressive driving means. It's completely unrealistic and silly to do like in Shift and always try to block anything that comes beside you. The AI was really ridiculous in Shift and it looks like it's the exact same regarding this behavior. That's quite a major turn off for me although I do not expect mister everybody to think its abnormal or unrealistic -- this might just fit with people's PERCEPTION of real racing. I dunno. All I know is that this bullshit is far from realistic and therefore far from interesting for me.

I will buy MotorStorm Apocalypse for my arcade racing needs as this game will fulfill the job better anyways...

saladine1

Grow some balls will ya!
The AI has been toned down from the previous game. Sure, the aggressiveness is still there, they fight to win,which is what racing is all about right?
Imo, this game has the best AI in terms of actually feeling like you are not alone on the track like other games make you feel. You have to keep on your toes at all times. They are very competitive but that's what makes it intense...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It looks like amazon will be offering $15 for those who download it using their service. However, the download is not available yet.

T Ghost

saladine1 said:
Grow some balls will ya!
The AI has been toned down from the previous game. Sure, the aggressiveness is still there, they fight to win,which is what racing is all about right?
Imo, this game has the best AI in terms of actually feeling like you are not alone on the track like other games make you feel. You have to keep on your toes at all times. They are very competitive but that's what makes it intense...

The real question is: Do AI follows basic racing rules when it comes to passing?

Any racing game wants to be in the simulation realm HAS to have the basic passing rules ingrained in the AI. An occasional breaking of these rules is ok as it IS realistic as real life pilot makes mistakes. On purpose and by mistake. But mistakes needs to have the penalties applied to them (MOST of the times at least) in order to keep the realism.

AI that rams you when you try to pass or that makes more than one blocking move takes a LOT from realism and throws any racing game into the "arcade" basket right away.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom