• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

saladine1

Holy shit at the sound of the Team Need For Speed RX-8!!
The iconic rotary idle sounds amazing and the actual engine and exhaust sounds are.......earth shatteringly phenomenal!!
Future racing games, take fucking note...

saladine1 said:
Holy shit at the sound of the Team Need For Speed RX-8!!
The iconic rotary idle sounds amazing and the actual engine and exhaust sounds are.......earth shatteringly phenomenal!!
Future racing games, take fucking note...

Thinking about buying this for the upgrade in sound (over GT5) alone. Still sitting here firmly on the fence, however. :/

saladine1

NEOPARADIGM said:
Thinking about buying this for the upgrade in sound (over GT5) alone. Still sitting here firmly on the fence, however. :/
The sounds of SHIFT will shit on GT5's all day and everyday and will take pleasure in doing so.
All sounds are there and simulated much better than anything before it.

Straight cut gear whine
BOV changes depending on level of Turbo upgrade
Exhaust notes and ilde
Turbo spool
Driving over debris
Chassis anomalies from cockpit view
Backfire
Crash effects...etc are all done realistically and faithfully. The sounds aren't sterile or muted.
Trust me, if you are sitting on the fence because of sound, lean forward a little and fall into the awesomeness that is SHIFT 2!

sneaky77

saladine1 said:
The sounds of SHIFT will shit on GT5's all day and everyday and will take pleasure in doing so.
All sounds are there and simulated much better than anything before it.

Straight cut gear whine
BOV changes depending on level of Turbo upgrade
Exhaust notes and ilde
Turbo spool
Driving over debris
Chassis anomalies from cockpit view
Backfire
Crash effects...etc are all done realistically and faithfully. The sounds aren't sterile or muted.
Trust me, if you are sitting on the fence because of sound, lean forward a little and fall into the awesomeness that is SHIFT 2!

Well you sure sound excited about the game lol... any more comments on the handling and AI. IGN review said the cars feel too light..

Arklite

T Ghost said:
The real question is: Do AI follows basic racing rules when it comes to passing?

Any racing game wants to be in the simulation realm HAS to have the basic passing rules ingrained in the AI. An occasional breaking of these rules is ok as it IS realistic as real life pilot makes mistakes. On purpose and by mistake. But mistakes needs to have the penalties applied to them (MOST of the times at least) in order to keep the realism.

AI that rams you when you try to pass or that makes more than one blocking move takes a LOT from realism and throws any racing game into the "arcade" basket right away.

My 2 cents.

I agree with this sentiment. There's a difference between racing and fighting, unless your game is something akin to Burnout.

Still on the fence about this title. The original had the racing "feel" but the handling and braking felt off.

saladine1 said:

No, I was saying the sound is the main reason I'm interested at all. :) I'm on the fence because of graphics (I'm a dirty whore, what can I say?) and because I didn't care for NFS:HP at all. I know they're not necessarily similar, but I just bought that game. Three racers in five months or whatever it's been ... I just know I'll be disappointed unless Shift can surpass GT5 in other areas beyond sound.

Though, to be honest, given I've posted in this thread twice now, it's probably a done deal I'll be buying. :lol

from what i read it looks like the game is very satisfying as long as you dont expect a simulator

dunno if I will be able to wait till the steam release. The EA Store/Software is actually quite decent now

Klocker

I do not expect a simulator and am enjoying Shift 1 (to a point) which I purchased recently....

IS THIS game enough of an upgrade from S1?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bidermaier said:
from what i read it looks like the game is very satisfying as long as you dont expect a simulator

dunno if I will be able to wait till the steam release. The EA Store/Software is actually quite decent now
But how much of a pain is it if it's the only game you have? Can I put a shortcut into steam and launch it from there?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ranger X said:
So it looks like I just confirmed I will not buy this game.
The ONLY FLAW I wanted fixed is totally still there: bullying bullshit AI.

Shift-2-Rubbing1-590x368.jpg

Thank you PCgamer, you just saved me time and money! :D

the only issue i had with the ai from the first game was there tendency to pull brake checks on me for no apparent reason at times and to get into crazy wicked pile ups at the first corner (mimicking online play?). otherwise, i thought it was pretty good and exhilarating to pass/not to pass

saladine1

sneaky77 said:
Well you sure sound excited about the game lol... any more comments on the handling and AI. IGN review said the cars feel too light..
Well let's be honest, racing games in the past have been pretty sterile, stuck in 2nd gear when it comes to offering an authentic racing experience. I'm just glad that someone out there has tried to do that and i'm all for it.

Imo, the cars don't feel light. They have weight. Weight transfer is not only visible but you can also feel it. It obviously depends on the car as well, light,short wheel base cars will feel lighter compared to a GT car for example.
Another important factor I feel is wheel settings. Having more lock will make the car feel lighter. Sensitivity,speed sensitivity..etc all play a part in how the car feels and it's a matter of personal taste which settings you use.

Imo, the handling is great. Rev matching (heel toe) plays an important role in car balance when gearing down and around corners. If it isn't done right, the car will start to snap.
If you accelerate too much around a corner, and don't back off and countersteer, the car will step out and around in circles you go.

This is typical early release hype, by someone who seems scorned and bitter by another notable racing games meteorical success.

In the coming weeks, he will disappear, returning to the aforementioned best selling racing series... all the while complaining daily as his copy of Shift 2 collects dust.

op_ivy

gamebroker said:
This is typical early release hype, by someone who seems scorned and bitter by another notable racing games meteorical success.

In the coming weeks, he will disappear, returning to the aforementioned best selling racing series... all the while complaining daily as his copy of Shift 2 collects dust.

lol

saladine1

gamebroker said:

I think it's you who is scorned and bitter at the fact that a meteorically successful game also turned out to be one of the most disappointing, anti climactic racing game in recent memory!

mrklaw said:
But how much of a pain is it if it's the only game you have? Can I put a shortcut into steam and launch it from there?

The EA Manager is quite minimalistic and designed with good taste, and BS free. THis was not the case in the past. They have realized that internet distribution is a goldmine. Steam is becoming an iTunes for games. This is more like a winamp.

I support EA because it is one of the few big companies that have consistently suported and actually boosted the PC format in recent years.

I have just tried to link my EA Store copy of Shift 1 to steam, not problem, tested the link and it works fine, with the steam overlay working.

saladine1 said:
I think it's you who is scorned and bitter at the fact that a meteorically successful game also turned out to be one of the most disappointing, anti climactic racing game in recent memory!

cool, so we'll see you in a few weeks?

1 hour into this and I feel like I just bought Shift 1 again. I don't understand how they insist on making the car seem like it's drifting all over the track in the 3rd person camera. It's the same as in Shift 1. It sucks. It feels fine controlling the car on any other camera, yet it seems like you have no control in 3rd person view. It's like they want to force you to play in cockpit view.

sneaky77

-bakalhau- said:
1 hour into this and I feel like I just bought Shift 1 again. I don't understand how they insist on making the car seem like it's drifting all over the track in the 3rd person camera. It's the same as in Shift 1. It sucks. It feels fine controlling the car on any other camera, yet it seems like you have no control in 3rd person view. It's like they want to force you to play in cockpit view.

why would you ever play in 3rd person? This is an honest question.. I mean.. hood cam is usually what I use in my driving games, 3rd person there is no real sense of speed or control in any racing game really.

op_ivy

gamebroker said:
cool, so we'll see you in a few weeks?

are you going to stick around for a week in a thread about a game you have no interest in aside from badmouthing?

:/

Klocker

sneaky77 said:
why would you ever play in 3rd person? This is an honest question.. I mean.. hood cam is usually what I use in my driving games, 3rd person there is no real sense of speed or control in any racing game really.

exactly

1-D_FTW

op_ivy said:
are you going to stick around for a week in a thread about a game you have no interest in aside from badmouthing?

:/

My immediate thought as well. That's a lot of trash talk from someone with barely 25 total posts. I don't think he should be assuming, just yet, that he'll be apart of the "we."

saladine1

New DLC for SHIFT 2 on live.
Typical fucking EA with their money hungry unlock in game content with real currency bullshit.
Wtf is the point of playing the game after having unlocked every car,track and event from the start?
Fuck off with that shit already!

U2NUMB

"Due to events beyond our control, your package may be delayed by 1 - 2 days. UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're very sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience. "

So.. it was delayed after it was on the truck out for delivery.. does this mean the truck got into an accident?

My first time using release day delivery from Amazon.. not a good start.

Guess no racing for me tonight...

T Ghost

sneaky77 said:

Drift? But then oversteering would not be a complaint...

sneaky77

U2NUMB said:
"Due to events beyond our control, your package may be delayed by 1 - 2 days. UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're very sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience. "

So.. it was delayed after it was on the truck out for delivery.. does this mean the truck got into an accident?

My first time using release day delivery from Amazon.. not a good start.

Guess no racing for me tonight...

There is only so much Amazon can control lol. Does release day delivery cost extra? I have prime so is included automatically.

saladine1 said:
Typical fucking EA with their money hungry unlock in game content with real currency bullshit.
Wtf is the point of playing the game after having unlocked every car,track and event from the start?

Yes, that is ridiculous, but if someone wants to spend their money and ruin their fun, then up to them really

sneaky77 said:

Hmm. Hood cam is the one I dislike the most. I really enjoy cockpit view but I feel I perform at my best in 3rd person. I have a better knowledge of my surroundings and I can tell just how well I'm taking a corner because I get to see the entire car and much more of the track.

3rd person camera was how I was 'raised' too, if you know what I mean. I played my first arcade racing games such as Mario Kart and NFS3 with it when I was young and didn't even know how to switch cameras and grew to just be familiar with it. Once I got into more serious racing games I just kept the same camera.

I do really enjoy cockpit view - if it's well done. IE: PGR, Shift. I switch between both cameras then. If it's like Forza, where you just don't feel like you're inside the car, then I hate it.

Edit: Also this game is running worse than Shift 1 on my PC and looks no better than it.

T Ghost

saladine1 said:

I personally wouldn't pay money for stuff that I can unlock playing but I can see some people who know that they will not spend tens of hours playing the game but still want to "take a spin" on that super ultra mega car all souped up. It's the old saying: If they keep selling is because somebody is buying.

U2NUMB

sneaky77 said:
There is only so much Amazon can control lol. Does release day delivery cost extra? I have prime so is included automatically.

Yes, that is ridiculous, but if someone wants to spend their money and ruin their fun, then up to them really

Yea I am not blaming Amazon but seeing what might happen when I rely on a delivery rather than just going to the store to buy it. And release day delivery is free with Prime.

jergrah

sneaky77 said:

I play GT5 with a wheel - so always use the bumper cam. But when Im trying to do a quick race without the wheel, I swap between cockpit (if available) and 3rd person. I did the same in Forza 3, because I dont have a wheel on 360 - depending on the car/track I would swap between cockpit/3rd person. At times I like playing 3rd person just so I can look at the car and how it was modeled.

kamspy

haven't been following the thread, any performance problems on PC? I love Shift 1, but it was a technical mess at launch. Patches fixed all.

Does it run well this time? 60fps on moderate hardware?

I really wanna buy it right now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can people start posting gamepad settings they're using? I remember that Shift 1 needed a bit of tweaking in that department on the 360...

Will be picking up my copy in a few hours. FIA GT1/GT3 cars, the Paganis, and that epic track list practically necessitated a purchase.

I can already see Gittin Jr.'s commentating, with all the "SICK LAP BRO," bullshit getting on my nerves. Night racing at Spa will help me cope, though.

T Ghost

FlyinJ said:
Can people start posting gamepad settings they're using? I remember that Shift 1 needed a bit of tweaking in that department on the 360...

Are you with the game already and having trouble with the pad or just checking if the "problems" with Shift 1 are fixed?

mik

mik is unbeatable
Spaceman Spiff said:
I can already see Gittin Jr.'s commentating, with all the "SICK LAP BRO," bullshit getting on my nerves.
Oh, but he poses the most provocative questions, like: "Are you ready to rock?!?"

Spaceman Spiff said:
I can already see Gittin Jr.'s commentating, with all the "SICK LAP BRO," bullshit getting on my nerves. Night racing at Spa will help me cope, though.

Yeah and he is not the only real driver throwing some extreme baditude in your ears. But gladly there is not too much of it during races.

Broman1978 said:
360 or PS3 version...?
Which one is to get?
Is One version better than the other one?

360 version propably runs a little smoother, but it is pretty much on par atleast before we get a proper analysis.

PS3 version supports more wheels! :D

sneaky77

Noisepurge said:
Yeah and he is not the only real driver throwing some extreme baditude in your ears. But gladly there is not too much of it during races.

is there a way to turn it off? It was quite annoying during the streaming lol.

At least dirt2 was supposed to be over the top, and it got annoying anyway

T Ghost

Broman1978 said:
360 or PS3 version...?
Which one is to get?
Is One version better than the other one?

I gameflyed both. I'll be able to tell you tomorrow, maybe late, late tonight. Just to make life easier tomorrow I close on a new house and start a whole family moving that has less than 48hours to be completed... But I'll try to log in a couple of hours with the 2 versions tonight. Will be using GTFP and MS Wheel.

mik said:
Oh, but he poses the most provocative questions, like: "Are you ready to rock?!?"

I know, and a more profound and illuminating insight into the psyche of a racecar driver I cannot comprehend.

I'm a bit worried by the complaints that the handling is still too similar to first Shift's, (though saladine1's impressions are reassuring), but then I come across Autoblog's review of the game:

There is definitely some punishing realism here if you want it, and it's no further away than the toggle switches on all the driver aids. Flip them all off and you have what can only be described as a very realistic feel. This is definitely a level above your Forzas and Gran Turismos, genuinely delivering the dynamic sensation that comes from a game with a proper, fully-speced physics engine under the hood.

That's not to say that this one hasn't been detuned slightly from its days of sending newbies into the wall on the PC in GTR, as some of the sharper edges have been filed down a bit for safety's sake. Still, there are plenty of ways to get it wrong – to get it spectacularly wrong. When was the last time you drove a race sim that would have your car do a barrel roll and then fly into a million pieces for merely sliding through the gravel sideways? Shift 2 sure will.

Those are some bold words. There's always going to be some degree of subjectivity when it comes to evaluating how "realistic" these games are, given that most of us will never come within a thousand miles of driving a competition-spec machine flat out. I would hope that the amount of racing driver input and feedback SMS has accumulated is enough to overcome the "accessibility" mandate that invariably gets handed down by the suits higher up.

sneaky77 said:
is there a way to turn it off? It was quite annoying during the streaming lol.

At least dirt2 was supposed to be over the top, and it got annoying anyway

I couldn't play Dirt 2 because of the xtreme sports attitude it took and shat all over Colin McRae's heritage :p Dirt 1 was awesome, but in the sequel i couldn't take it seriously racing against Tony Hawk or whatever :p

And you can turn off the voice during races, but not during menus and intro's.

Top Bottom