• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

Noisepurge said:
I couldn't play Dirt 2 because of the xtreme sports attitude it took and shat all over Colin McRae's heritage :p Dirt 1 was awesome, but in the sequel i couldn't take it seriously racing against Tony Hawk or whatever :p

And you can turn off the voice during races, but not during menus and intro's.

That's very good news.

Dreohboy

Animator said:
Can I play this with the xbox controller on the pc?

You bettah. Hell, who plays a racer with just a keyboard an mouse anymore?

360 controller OR a driving wheel.

Picking this up when I'm not broke. Probably before E3.

sneaky77

I ended up getting it for 360 during my lunch break, my GT is sneaky77 if anyone wants to add me on their autolog so they won't be last lol. If you add me mention Shift2 Gaf or something, thanks.

kamspy

kamspy said:
haven't been following the thread, any performance problems on PC? I love Shift 1, but it was a technical mess at launch. Patches fixed all.

Does it run well this time? 60fps on moderate hardware?

I really wanna buy it right now.

anyone care to comment on PC perf?

T Ghost

saladine1 said:
They are optional but I like variety..

I can't stand drifting in games but I can see your point. All I can help with is: make sure that you keep enough speed getting into the corners and use the pad instead of wheels. I never figured it out how to drift with Shift 1 using a wheel. Good luck!

kamspy said:
anyone care to comment on PC perf?

Runs worse than Shift 1 on what you may call a moderate rig (GTX285 OC, ~ a 460). Shift 1 ran all maxed out a 1680x1050 at 60 frames, I'm barely get 60 on Shift 2, lots of times it's on 40-60. It looks no better mind you. Not enough to make it run like this.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, the performance is terrible! I'm running an i7 940, 5970 and 6GB of DDR3 Ram and the game is sluggish as hell. I started out with everything "High" ( Max ), AF at 4x and AA at "High" and the game was running below 30FPS, really sluggish, like driving with a delay in glue. I turned AA down to "Low" and AF to 2x and it was a tiny bit better but it wasn't even 60FPS.

And with every game these days, you have no way of testing out settings beforehand in a free play environment - You can start career mode, go through the first test race a million times and if you dare quit on the second race, you have to do it over again later.

The helmet cam would be nice if it wasn't for that BS with looking into the corners - IT'S SO ANNOYING! He looks straight into the car's roof support beam and god help you if there's a corner going the other direction right after, he will snap his head in the other direction and bam, you are disoriented like a bird in a trash can. You can't see the opposite apex and get a wide turn going, you can't even see the near side apex as you are usually looking right into some dead angle.

Now this may sound odd but who the hell designed that sound engine in this game? The sounds are decent but the actual delivery is weird as hell. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX combined with a Sennheiser HD650, not a bad combination and it has served me well but there's is NO bass whatsoever in this game, it's like all treble and it just pierces my skull - The roaring engine, the random dude they got for no money to voice and be the front figure, everything just gives me an instant headache ... really weird.

Oh and it's still far from a simulator, on full simulator setting you can still just apply brakes like a son of a bitch and turn however you like, there's no friction or penalty.

Did I also mention the Crysis 2-esque Vaseline filter that is covering the game?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
chixdiggit said:
Looks like I will wait on buying the PC version until the issues are fixed.

This, cubed.

Fucking EA, I KNEW it would perform like shit outta the gate. They really really really R*E*A*L*L*Y need to shitcan this graphics engine. It is TERRIBLE! This is the same graphics engine used in the Skate series and it appears that it suffers from the same slowdown/sluggish frame rate as Skate 2 and Shift 1. Ugh.

Love for Codemaster's EGO engine rising

Klocker

damn, so conflicted as to whether to go blow the $60 (360) on my pre-order... have shift 1 sitting here wondering if it's worth it.

I like auto-log, seems I would like the helmet cam and I do not need a simulation.

but if it is only shift 1.5 then I'd rather use the money on dirt3

edit:
ahhh feck it, it's only money...plus if I don't use the online pass I can possibly get my GS manager to take it back if it sucks donkey balls.

Gosh I can't play this. It's like Shift 1 all over again. The slightest touch in my analog stick and the car steers like crazy, when I try to get it back on track by steering the tiniest amount to the other side it's even worse, this goes on and on and on until I hit something. Sensitivity sliders don't do anything either.

The cars just don't feel like proper racing cars. The grip isn't there. They slide all over the place just like in Shift 1.

Waiting for the inevitable grip mod for this game.

But don't take my word, you guys may love it. Maybe it's just me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
NOW AVAILABLE ON STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still gonna wait for more impressions though....

legbone

edit: nevermind, i am an idiot. just read the op. must have to unlock, or i just missed it. sorry.

edit 2: just went to double check. there is no stock z06 in the game at this time in my career. i didn't realize there were unlockable cars in the career that don't show up in the car lot.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hour in, lovin it so far. it definitely feels like shift - only tweaked for the better. those that hated shift may still want to steer clear, however, if you were on the fence about it or liked the handling of the low teir cars, you'll probably really dig this. feels fairly sim-y to me, but in an entirely different manner then gt or forza.

the helmet cam is fucking awesome, but definitely takes some getting used to. the sweeping corners of most race tracks meld perfectly with this new camera system that looks into corners, but it seems fairly awkward on the city tracks 90 degree corners.

engine sounds nice, but the race sounds are fairly quite compared to the roaring sound effects and music pre and post race. odd, but i'm certain there are options in the menus to strike a nice balance. tire squeals still sound pretty poor IMO, but thankfully it isnt heard constantly like in the first game.

the tracks are awesome, night racing especially. its fucking crazy to know a car approaches behind you because you can see the shadow of your own car cast on the road and barricades in front of you.

ai is light years better - not sure why people were saying otherwise. quite a few races in and i have yet to have any serious collision and only a small handful of minor fender benders and paint swapping. same goes for the ai themselves, i've seen very little collisions between ai cars or major fuckups on their part, something that happened to frequently in shift 1.

i still think the front end UI and menus are confusing as hell, and the load times (yes between menus) are crap.

EDIT: MS wheel impressions btw

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sneaky77 said:
I ended up getting it for 360 during my lunch break, my GT is sneaky77 if anyone wants to add me on their autolog so they won't be last lol. If you add me mention Shift2 Gaf or something, thanks.

nice. LoopOfHenle here - i have noone one my autolog yet =(

benzy

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
The fuck? Did they only license one song for the whole game?

I hate that song so much right now. Just turn the music and the guy's voice off, and the game's presentation becomes 10x more bearable.

-bakalhau- said:
Gosh I can't play this. It's like Shift 1 all over again. The slightest touch in my analog stick and the car steers like crazy, when I try to get it back on track by steering the tiniest amount to the other side it's even worse, this goes on and on and on until I hit something. Sensitivity sliders don't do anything either.

I had a problem with this too. Maybe the physics is hit or miss for certain cars, but I just got a Porsche 911 with upgrades and this handles much better compared to the other cars I've had. I actually managed to drive within the twisty roads on Nurburgring at high speeds which was impossible for me in Shift 1.

One thing I absolutely hate in this game is how long it takes for you to reverse. There's a delay between pressing the left trigger to reverse and the car actually reversing on-screen, same goes for accelerating from 0. If you're facing a wall it takes too long to orient yourself back in the right direction, and when you reverse you're prone to getting hit by other cars, so you end up having to just restart almost every time.

Graphically this game looks meh, at least on consoles. Practically zero improvement over the first. I'm usually a fan of sunset settings in videogames but it looks too cartoonish here, like forza 2 level bad. And what the hell is up with the trees, they look like large 2-d broccoli from afar.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I actually think it's a pretty lousy game. Same old tired engine, same old tired hiccups that skip 5 frames randomly in a race, same old detail errors all throughout the game (wrong horsepower stats, wrong torque stats, weight etc.). And my God is the "clutch" support in the game atrocious. It serves no purpose at all - even with the clutch enabled and auto clutch turned off, you can still take a hold of the paddles or just shift the knob without ever touching the clutch. To top it all off, shifts are annoyingly slow and delayed no matter how fast you pull them off.

When testing the clutch in the game, I also noticed how if you dump the pedal while in gear without any gas...the car stays on. If you hit the brake, it shuts off for a few seconds...and then comes back on if you touch the gas. Sometimes the cars will stall and other times they won't - it's sporadic. Funny enough, the rate of speed you pick up when just rolling off the clutch is comical, especially if you shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. Realism this is not.

Unlike GT5, the game does absolutely nothing to differentiate between each cars transmissions. A Volkswagen GTI is equipped with a DCT, yet shifts slower than a 92 Ford Tempo, same goes for the GTR. For the DCTs and autos in the game, if you keep your foot down on the gas during a shift, the motor will rev to redline, the revs will drop, and then the car shifts - the problem here is that the game thinks every car has a clutch. If you were to keep your foot down on the throttle while shifting in a manual, the above effect will happen in real life. But doing so in any type of automatic will never prompt such an action.

There's also some pretty comical handling quirks I've come across, among numerous other issues. Simply put, this isn't a sim. It's a neutered racer that lacks a whole lot of attention to detail, which isn't unlike the NFS franchise, so I'm not surprised. The original Shift was a solid first entry, but this one does very little to improve and takes steps backwards in many cases. Many would think I'm being picky, but quite honestly, to someone like me this kind of stuff stood out immediately. Don't call it a sim if you didn't even take the time and effort to get the stats of the cars right - let's start with the very basics...

And boy does the game look like shit compared to GT5 or Forza 3.

Edit: And btw, the cars don't sound anything like their real life counterparts. I had a 350Z, I have a 370Z now, my brother has an M6, friend has a GTI, another a GTR, another an M3, etc...I've driven a lot of these cars in real life numerous times and Shift 2's sounds are simply off. Sure they sound nice and mean, but accurate they are not.

shaowebb

Wow...I am way too distracted to browse Gaf.

I read
"SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?"

as

"SHIT 2: UNLEASHED OUT Is there still need for speed?

AlphaSnake said:
There's also some pretty comical handling quirks I've come across, among numerous other issues. Simply put, this isn't a sim. It's a neutered racer that lacks a whole lot of attention to detail, which isn't unlike the NFS franchise, so I'm not surprised. The original Shift was a solid first entry, but this one does very little to improve and takes steps backwards in many cases. Many would think I'm being picky, but quite honestly, to someone like me this kind of stuff stood out immediately. Don't call it a sim if you didn't even take the time and effort to get the stats of the cars right - let's start with the very basics...

Do the cars still lack grip when cornering? That was the most annoying thing about he original and made the higher end cars a pain in the ass to drive.

Ugh. The whole thing is so janky. The menus are janky, the graphics are janky, and the video quality is hella janky. Not feeling this at all. I'll give it a few days and then trade it into Amazon probably.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
SolidSnakex said:
Do the cars still lack grip when cornering? That was the most annoying thing about he original and made the higher end cars a pain in the ass to drive.

Yep. Even the GTR you're given to demo, which according to the telemetry display had stock power, had absolutely no finesse. Every car felt like a wet noodle, and the fact that the camera always angles left and right with every turn does not help judgment at all.

Oh, and there is this comical quirk with the G27 where if you steer a little past 90-degrees, the wheel violently jerks to the direction you were steering, with almost no such reaction from the car on the screen. What is the purpose of that? It does it with the force feedback turned way down too. Hell, it does it on FWD cars, AWD cars, and RWD cars...If the game is trying to convey what snap-oversteer is, then the designer behind this needs to be fired. I have never in my life experienced any such jolt or sensation with any RWD car, including my own Zs, when purposely inducing snap-oversteer.

The physics feel more canned than anything else, if you ask me.

Eric WK

AlphaSnake said:
and the fact that the camera always angles left and right with every turn does not help judgment at all.

For what it's worth, switching from helmet to standard cockpit cam would fix this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've gotten two crashes in the 360 SKU so far. Both times it happened when I was tapping a button to speed up the cash payout at the end of a race.

The screen goes black, and the last sound loops. I was able to hit my guide button and drop back to dashboard both times though...

Anyone else seeing this?

Eric WK

FlyinJ said:
I've gotten two crashes in the 360 SKU so far. Both times it happened when I was tapping a button to speed up the cash payout at the end of a race.

The screen goes black, and the last sound loops. I was able to hit my guide button and drop back to dashboard both times though...

Anyone else seeing this?

Different from what you're describing, but I had a freeze in the car lot and had to hard reset my 360.

saladine1

FlyinJ said:

Anyone else seeing this?
Yes, there are some weird issues with the game such as what you described. I just press start and the screen comes back to normal. It sometimes happened with the first shift as well.
There are some audio glitches as well and various other anomalies that really need to be fixed up.

Is it me, or is the graphics a step back from SHIFT 1?
There's a tonne of jaggies and some unusual gray sheen on the cars...

They also lied about there being no cockpit blur while in the cockpit view. I strictly remember them saying that the blur will be visible while in helmet cam but not in the traditional cockpit view.

While I am a sound nut, I'm disappointed in certain things. Namely, a lack of gradual upgrade in sound when upgrading the car.
You put an intake on, the sounds stay the same. Put in a bigger,lumpier cam, it still sounds the same. Install an exhaust, the sound doesn't change. The only time any kind of upgrade in sound occurs that I know of, is when upgrading the turbo. Each 'stage' offers different spool and bov effects which sounds great but that's about it really.

GT has been doing that for ages now.
Fm2 did this aspect the best though. Changing exhaust,intake,turbo,cams..etc all made differences in sound and sounded great at the same time. Why they chose not to continue with that for FM3 i'll never know...

mclaren777

Foliorum Viridum said:
Could someone post some high res, in-car shots of this game? PC, of course.
4YwMU.jpg

crkYR.jpg

And the same guy playing F1 2010...

rstFq.jpg

isamu

AlphaSnake said:
I actually think it's a pretty lousy game. Same old tired engine, same old tired hiccups that skip 5 frames randomly in a race, same old detail errors all throughout the game (wrong horsepower stats, wrong torque stats, weight etc.). And my God is the "clutch" support in the game atrocious. It serves no purpose at all - even with the clutch enabled and auto clutch turned off, you can still take a hold of the paddles or just shift the knob without ever touching the clutch. To top it all off, shifts are annoyingly slow and delayed no matter how fast you pull them off.

When testing the clutch in the game, I also noticed how if you dump the pedal while in gear without any gas...the car stays on. If you hit the brake, it shuts off for a few seconds...and then comes back on if you touch the gas. Sometimes the cars will stall and other times they won't - it's sporadic. Funny enough, the rate of speed you pick up when just rolling off the clutch is comical, especially if you shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. Realism this is not.

Unlike GT5, the game does absolutely nothing to differentiate between each cars transmissions. A Volkswagen GTI is equipped with a DCT, yet shifts slower than a 92 Ford Tempo, same goes for the GTR. For the DCTs and autos in the game, if you keep your foot down on the gas during a shift, the motor will rev to redline, the revs will drop, and then the car shifts - the problem here is that the game thinks every car has a clutch. If you were to keep your foot down on the throttle while shifting in a manual, the above effect will happen in real life. But doing so in any type of automatic will never prompt such an action.

And boy does the game look like shit compared to GT5 or Forza 3.

Edit: And btw, the cars don't sound anything like their real life counterparts. I had a 350Z, I have a 370Z now, my brother has an M6, friend has a GTI, another a GTR, another an M3, etc...I've driven a lot of these cars in real life numerous times and Shift 2's sounds are simply off. Sure they sound nice and mean, but accurate they are not.
AlphaSnake said:
Yep. Even the GTR you're given to demo, which according to the telemetry display had stock power, had absolutely no finesse. Every car felt like a wet noodle, and the fact that the camera always angles left and right with every turn does not help judgment at all.

Oh, and there is this comical quirk with the G27 where if you steer a little past 90-degrees, the wheel violently jerks to the direction you were steering, with almost no such reaction from the car on the screen. What is the purpose of that? It does it with the force feedback turned way down too. Hell, it does it on FWD cars, AWD cars, and RWD cars...If the game is trying to convey what snap-oversteer is, then the designer behind this needs to be fired. I have never in my life experienced any such jolt or sensation with any RWD car, including my own Zs, when purposely inducing snap-oversteer.

The physics feel more canned than anything else, if you ask me.

Alpha thanks a bunch for taking the time to post those impressions. I'm glad I read your posts before running off to buy this game. I am seriously leaning towards skipping this and waiting for Dirt 2 and rfactor 2.

Hard to believe these are the same guys that are behind GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends.

rise888

I'm playing this on Xbox with a Fanatec PWTS and CSP (which the game oddly recognizes as a msft wireless wheel set)

My wheel settings:
FFB: 60
Drift: off
ABS: 80

Not sure where to find the in-game wheel settings, since it recognizes my fanatec as a msft wheel.

I'm enjoying:
Great cockpit view (I tried helmet view but it became too hard to judge the movement of the car in relation to the road to indicate slippage)
Cars look nice
Night racing is fun
Overall immersion is good; a very tense feeling while racing- same feeling I get when playing Dirt 2. Perhaps this is related to the cars not being as predictable though
Bumpstrip FFB is great

Not enjoying:
Jaggies, poor graphics in places such as the rear view mirror, or the jaggie reflections in windows
Audio hiccups/glitches
FFB feels a bit odd sometimes. I think the wheel gets loose all of a sudden in the middle of a turn to indicate loss of traction.
Difficulty seems a bit uneven. I was able to easily win a race in a modded Audi TT, but modding the Porsche GT3 to be the same rating seemed to make the competition MUCH tougher.

I think I just need to get used to the game more. After playing a lot of GT5 and Forza 3, I'm not used to such slow shifting and not having more tire-squealing as an audio cue. The FFB differs greatly between cars. Sometimes it feels floaty and other times it doesn't; could also depend on the track as well. I'm not an expert on physics but the game seemed to be pretty lenient on 'throwing' the car into corners. Definitely a different playstyle from my GT5/Forza3 experience. I consider the game similar to Dirt2 in terms of sim/arcade-racing balance.

Top Bottom