• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

Most of the environments are recycled, along with the music (unfortunately). You won't be doing much "exploring," per se, because any areas conducive to that, you've already seen in SMT IV. However, most of the areas that are directly important to the story are new.

Well at least there'll be some new areas of Tokyo to explore.

How is the camera? Is it fully rotatable this time?

Q4 for Europe more or less confirmed, or at least hinted at, or is it just wishful thinking?

Could very well mean Early next year, which would be annoying since so much else is coming out then too (Nier, Nioh, Persona 5, Hitman, Yakuza 0, Berserk etc). All we can do is hope it's before the end of the year.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Was starting up IV again and was spoiled about how
the two other samurai turn into monsters
and I think I'll just put it down and head right into this one. The question is now whether I want to spoil everything story-wise so I'm all caught up going into this game.

Nachos

I'll give Atlus credit, at least they manned up and took the error head-on instead of putting their heads in the sand.
Now it only if they would recognize Etrian Untold 2's localization, which is probably the sloppiest one they've ever done, but for entirely different reasons.

Sadist

Hyped! As a EU resident I'm pretty happy we're getting this one much, MUCH sooner than the original. (And a physical version!) Day one baby.

HotHamBoy

Hearing how much of the game assets are recycled I think I'm going to grab it without finishing SMT IV. It's been years since I put it down.

Ah yes, the feeling of seeing the OT for a game of your favorite franchise while not knowing when it will be available in Europe.
I hope they at least keep their promise of releasing it this year.
Enjoy the game guys, will follow the thread for impressions, please be mindful of spoilers.

marmoka

Banned
I found these images:

TvsMTHP.png

I didn't know there was such nonsense war between SMT fans and Persona fans. Or they are just two stupid images created by the same guy who was bored.

PD: Shin Megami Tensei is infinite% better than Persona. And Persona's soundtrack is awful. ;-)

I found these images:

I didn't know there was such nonsense war between SMT fans and Persona fans. Or they are just two stupid images created by the same guy who was bored.

PD: Shin Megami Tensei is infinite% better than Persona. And Persona's soundtrack is awful. ;-)

Lol, I can't deny having seen all of the above.
I love all SMT games (with a couple of exceptions) and if I were to rank them it would be a healthy mix between mainline and spinoffs.
What is undeniable, at least to me, is that they are all high quality rpgs deserving of anyone's time.
I do feel Persona 2 doesn't get the love it deserves which is frustrating but that's not for this thread.

cj_iwakura

I found these images:

They're from /smtg. Facetious.

Nachos

Voice actors are starting to announce their roles, but exciting is that it's a lot of new blood.

Of particular interest is that Sarah Anne Williams now voices the Jacks.

What was wrong with Untold 2?
A lot of things, but the biggest one is that they copy-and-pasted text from the original II's localization, and I mean that literally. There are a bunch of scenes that don't even make sense because they're referring to things that were removed in the remake. There's also a ton of cases of text breaking the bounding boxes (including the very first food buff you get in the game), and tons of terms being localized differently depending on the scene. There are some cases where you'll see the same item called completely different things depending on what screen you're looking at.

There's also some really weird casting and acting for some of the characters. The highs in the game are actually way higher than U1's, but the thing's a bigger mixed bag overall. To the point where one of the actors told me via email that they don't understand why they were cast the way they were when I asked if they were in the game.

jonjonaug

A lot of things, but the biggest one is that they copy-and-pasted text from the original II's localization, and I mean that literally. There are a bunch of scenes that don't even make sense because they're referring to things that were removed in the remake. There's also a ton of cases of text breaking the bounding boxes (including the very first food buff you get in the game), and tons of terms being localized differently depending on the scene. There are some cases where you'll see the same item called completely different things depending on what screen you're looking at.

There's also some really weird casting and acting for some of the characters. The highs in the game are actually way higher than U1's, but the thing's a bigger mixed bag overall. To the point where one of the actors told me via email that they don't understand why they were cast the way they were when I asked if they were in the game.

Wow. Usually I pick up on this stuff and I don't think I noticed any of that. But then I played Story mode, and it sounds like a lot of these problems would be in Classic mode.

CazTGG

I'm a bit concerned about how much of the previous SMTIV's environments are recycled. Is there actually new parts of the city to explore?

There's a good amount of recycled areas but there are new ones to explore thrown in between the retreaded territory of IV.

Lokbob

Is there something like a fusion chart for this somewhere? I need a Baphomet and Hairy Jack for special fusions.

Sagely

So excited! My physical copy should arrive in a few days, allowing me to finish Ace Attorney and (maybe) Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm about 10 hours away from the end of each, I believe, which won't take long on 3DS \o/

The new music tracks are amazing; I especially love the world map theme. Since SMTIV had a great soundtrack I don't mind that some of its music gets recycled, but I'll have to see how familiar it feels with the other recycled assets and areas. Finished SMTIV earlier this year with a Dex build and the Neutral ending, will probably go for Dex again or maybe Strength if it's improved over the original. Exciting!

Hope you all enjoy this. I loved it.

Amazon shipped 1 copy to my friend. My own physical copies get here tomorrow (wednesday). Curious to see how the emblems were packaged. Disappointed we don't get a guide / artbook like last time but I rectified that thanks to Amazon JP.

1fM46.png

UCBooties

Is there anything special about the first print run of the physical game? Usually Atlus includes something to excuse the price tag.

D-Man

Amazon says I should be getting my copy today but it's been stuck on "shipping now" since last night.

I'm not getting this today, am I?

Corpekata

Banned
Amazon says I should be getting my copy today but it's been stuck on "shipping now" since last night.

I'm not getting this today, am I?

It told me arriving thursday and shipping today for like 40 hours. It shipped around 2 AM and is now arriving Wednesday.

Of course it was supposed to arrive today, so a lovely experience.

Unfortunately no

Is that no as in "it's not enhanced", or no as in "no one knows" :p

Still, if it's the former I guess I'm not surprised. Etrian Odyssey V wasn't enhanced either and overall, was a step back from IV/Untold in some visual aspects. For example, draw distance was dialled back and texture filtering was removed from environments.

Nachos

Has Gaston's been announced? I thought I saw a tweet a couple of days ago, but I can't find anything.
Haven't seen anything, but I just got to his introduction. I'm pretty sure it's Haberkorn, and man, does he chew that scenery. He and Sean Chiplock/Navarre are tied for my favorite performances so far.

Wow. Usually I pick up on this stuff and I don't think I noticed any of that. But then I played Story mode, and it sounds like a lot of these problems would be in Classic mode.
Yeah, to be fair, most of the stuff is fine in the main game. It's in the post-game, particularly on classic, where the floodgates really open.

Top Bottom