• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

cj_iwakura

Q6ooA8S.png

YO4ugqj.jpg

• Release Date: 9/20/16 (US) | Q4 2016 (EU) | 2/10/16 (JP)
  • Platform: 3DS, eShop
  • Genre: RPG
  • Developer: Atlus
  • Director: Satoshi Ohyama
  • Writer: Yusuke Miyata & Kazuma Kaneko
  • Artists: Masayuki Doi & Kazuma Kaneko
  • Composer: Ryota Kozuka

cMYRYBr.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse takes place in the 2030s, within the same setting as Shin Megami Tensei IV. Twenty-five years prior, a devastating war was waged between the angels and the armies of Lucifer.

To protect Tokyo from destruction, a great rock dome was erected, sealing off the city from the outside world. Though it protected Tokyo, resources became progressively scarcer over the following years, while angels and demons ruled over the human population.

Humans have been reduced to scraping by to survive, most taking odd jobs as 'Hunters'. The protagonist is killed while on one such demon hunt. He is then contacted in the afterlife by the demon Dagda, who offers to restore the protagonist to life in exchange for becoming his "God Killer". He soon learns that the Angels and Lucifer have themselves come under threat from a group of deities calling themselves the Polytheistic Alliance, whose leader Krishna apparently wants to save humanity.

How will the world be ruled? By the lawful kingdom of YHVH? Lucifer's chaotic reign? Through Peace? By Anarchy? The choice is yours.

A3kZDKJ.jpg

And yes, yes, yes!, the infamously convoluted Tokyo world map has been updated to be easier to follow, complete with markings and identifiers, as well as multiple zoom options.

gSjfvFN.jpg

Should I play this if I didn't play IV?
Considering this tosses you into the deep end of Lucifer and Merkabah's war? Inadvisable, but opinions may vary. This is the Tokyo side of the coin, and I'm sure it fills in the blanks. It could also be an easier starting point than IV, which has a notoriously brutal first dungeon.

How does this fit into IV?
An alternate reality of the neutral ending, so (SMT IV spoilers)
Walter is with Lucy, Jonathan is with Merkabah, Nozomi's the Fairy Queen, and yes, Isabeau is alive and well.
The diversion point is Nanashi's revival at Dagda's hands.

DLC?
Too much. Including a beach party because I'm sure everyone wanted that.
http://atlus.com/smt4a/dlc.html

cYl4Rw5.png

The real highlight will be the stuff with the SMT 1/2/3 protagonists, whenever that comes out. Hopefully more involving than IV's DLC.
tumblr_o3e7d5ryLz1si48w3o1_400.jpg

How do the endings work?
I'll field this to someone who finished it.
There's technically two "good" endings this time around, both of which are, so far as I can surmise, decided by a very obvious chose in the penultimate dungeon and not through IV's convoluted machinations. The other endings are the Law & Chaos endings which cut out a significant amount of content, so they're best avoided unless you want to beat each path once.

Is the Magic build as broken as it was in IV proper?
So I hear! Others are equally fun, though.

Any trailers?
A couple.
Cast Trailer
Demon Trailer
Battle Trailer
Story Trailer
Final Trailer

Spoiler thread?
You've been warned.

YGrC5Id.png

Sterok's Review Thread
Metacritic

Opencritic

High-Def Digest - 5/5

God is a Geek - 9.5/10

Twinfinite - 9/10

RPGSite - 9/10

Gamespot - 9/10

GamingBolt - 9/10

GBAtemp - 9/10

CGMagazine - 8.5/10

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5/10

Destructoid - 8.5/10

TechRaptor - 8.5/10

Cubed3 - 7/10

Special Thanks
BlackJace for graphics and Nachos for collaborating.
Here's an alternate badass banner he did, because why not:

Atlus, for keeping the core alive.

Volcynika's original OT

and you, for supporting the 'Dark Souls of Persona'.

smtiv.gif

Make them bleed.

The sequel to one of my favorite games ever made.

I'm so excited that this is finally coming out. I just wish it wasn't at such a busy time release wise. But I'll make time for this no matter what.

Praying for a swift EU release. SMT4 was disappointing and Apocalypse literally fixes every issue I had with the game so I have really high hopes.

Producer

Grabbing my copy tomorrow, cant wait. Heard you get an item for each ending you reached in SMT4, wonder what each does. I got all 3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've gone from not picking it up until it was bargain basement cheap to maybe buying it digitally tomorrow during my lunch break despite the fact that I just bought two other long 3DS games. The reviews actually did a number on me.

mankoto

All of the DLC info is right here

not gonna post the image in case there's a spoiler but there's a part of the game they forgot to translate into english :p

I guess I'll cross that issue right here, but the TL;DR is that if you play well enough, you won't see it. It's pretty circumstantial

http://atlus.com/smtiv-faux-pas-calypse/

As a bunch of people pointed out, an image circulated this weekend of our English build having some unlocalized Japanese text still in it. I’m not gonna link it here because it’s from the battle at the end of the game and could definitely spoil some details for people. Let that also serve as your warning before you go looking for it.

…Yep, it’s in there, along with one other instance of Japanese text. It’s an oversight on our part, and we’re deeply sorry about it. We’ve discussed internally about the possibility of correcting it, and while fixing it is not off the table yet, if it does happen, it won’t be in a timely manner.

Anyhow, just like in SMTIV, partners can get attacked and knocked out. In this particular battle, partners will return after 3 turns, and the errant Japanese text only shows up if you get to a point where the boss gives you a dialogue option WHILE your partner is KO’d. Our testers, who have been with the company for quite awhile, and who are well-versed in all things SMT (I think a few of them also were QA for the original SMTIV) were so good, they never ran into the situation of having an unconscious partner during the fight, and henceforth the dialogue in question.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was wondering why the story description made no sense to me, since it was mentioning a wall and stuff, which I thought was destroyed, but this is an alternate version of the neutral end. I understand, I thinks.

Thoraxes

Mine is coming in tomorrow.

Gonna shelve DQVII for this! Thank goodness I finished CS2 and am almost done with AA6.

Fireblend

Banned
Can't wait to begin playing this. SMT IV is an outstanding game and if this is at least just as good then I'm sure I'll love it.

cj_iwakura

All of the DLC info is right here

I guess I'll cross that issue right here, but the TL;DR is that if you play well enough, you won't see it. It's pretty circumstantial

http://atlus.com/smtiv-faux-pas-calypse/

Huh. Surprised they didn't at least post a translation in case people run into it.

So it seems like there wont be much, if at all story related DLC? Sounds good.

Seems like the most important stuff is free, apart from the cameo DLC. The other two are for Mephisto and Cleopatra. I imagine it boils down to 'dialogue' then 'boss fight', much like IV's DLC.

Hikami

Been playing since the weekend. Not very far in yet but I'm loving it.

I forgot how good the 3D effect in SMT IV was, looks good here as well. I rarely leave that on for 3DS games.

Is the Magic build as broken as it was in IV proper?
So I hear! Others are equally fun, though.
Good to know this. I went with magic in IV but I'd like to try out something different this time.

FluxWaveZ

It IS a huge spoiler, but Flux debunked it. Said it wasn't in his review copy. Still, it happens a lot.

Yeah, I hadn't encountered it but it seems that was because of the reason outlined in Atlus USA's explanation. Unfortunate; it's certainly something I would have talked about if I had encountered it.

Again, the only thing I saw like that was a random NPC who has Japanese text for his generic name.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey remember the time when a First Print Run BONUS CD wouldn't play in an actual CD player? Good times.

Mik317

I got like a good ways into SMTIV...and then someone stole my 3ds with it in it.

Is there any good video or write up of the story? I really rather not trudge through SMTIV again and then get burnt out and thus stay away from this. I'd like to support Atlus but yeah don't want to be that far in the dark, y'know.

cj_iwakura

I got like a good ways into SMTIV...and then someone stole my 3ds with it in it.

Is there any good video or write up of the story? I really rather not trudge through SMTIV again and then get burnt out and thus stay away from this. I'd like to support Atlus but yeah don't want to be that far in the dark, y'know.

How far did you get? I can summarize the gist of it pretty quick, though I only did the Law ending. (Working on a second as we speak.)

depward

Do I pay $20 to try to get into SMT IV again or is a difference of $30 more for a better map and more QOL adjustments worth it?

Hmm

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still need to beat IV's neutral ending >_>

Will be getting on this after I finish TitS FC&SC and beat IV.

Corginand

It's been almost a year since the game was revealed and 5 months since localization was announced. It's been a long wait but it'll finally be here. I loved SMTIV and got most endings (only one I didn't do was Law but who cares about laws), so I know Apocalypse will be amazing.

I'll miss Walter, though :(

I stopped playing SMT IV out of boredom halfway through (despite loving the first 20 or so hours, jrpgs just drag on too long for me), so I was in a similar position. I found this playlist of all major story moments (fights, dialoge, cutscenes) in chronological order and no commentary: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAV-xzjVBR0VcYfPylPdGUxyWGsvqGgXU

Im on mobile so I hope that links works.

cj_iwakura

I'll give Atlus credit, at least they manned up and took the error head-on instead of putting their heads in the sand.

SMT II is clearly based of off the neutral ending. It's just that the Law guys took over after that.

None of this would have happened if you sided with Lucifer.

ohlawd

that's a lot of DLC. I'll get all the cheat DLC and the beach party episode. that one sounds fun

this OT title is trash, man. it's like TheMoon-bad

Mik317

Man God

Non-Canon Member
None of this would have happened if you sided with Lucifer.

Nah, it probably would have. God is still alive after all, and the same agents of Law are killed in both the Neutral and Chaos paths. Lucifer claims to offer freedom to all, including the Messians, who rise up in the power vacuum.

Love this series. I'll be buying SMTIVA after school tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and I've been having anxiety problems recently, so a new major entry in a favourite series will be a welcome distraction.

Grabbing my copy tomorrow, cant wait. Heard you get an item for each ending you reached in SMT4, wonder what each does. I got all 3.

Joke's on you. SMTIV has four endings. The truncated one is still logged on the save file, same as the others.

Now whether that's relevant to Apocalypse, I don't know.

Top Bottom