• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

My copy shipped just in time!

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that I waited so long for a sequel to Nocturne* only to find that it absolutely can't stand up to Kaneko's art. Ah well, it's hard to live up to one of the all-time greats. Now I'm mostly curious to see how the 2D animation compares to the old 3D models.

*Strange Journey doesn't count, does it?

It absolutely counts, regardless of what some might say.

JJD

Anyone knows if this will be available at mid night on the eShop? It's getting hard to wait... =(

Also how did you guys name your MC?

I'm naming mine Aleister!

cj_iwakura

Anyone knows if this will be available at mid night on the eShop? It's getting hard to wait... =(

I really like Flynn. My Demi-Fiend's name is exclusively for him. I'll see.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yes you should. The car can wait, Mara can't.

CJJKgqG.png

Bullza2o

Haha, I'm in Kentucky and my Prime order just left from Indiana.

Okay the tracking now shows that the original location is Indiana as well, not Washington.
Now the delivery date is believable. If it's true then it's the best super saver shipping order I've ever had! Can't beat "1 day free shipping!"

I named the MC after myself in SJ, but sharing a name with one of the major characters this time around, I'm just going with Flynn.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Umm... honestly you might as well not even play the game if you want to avoid negotiation.

I don't think you're going to get very far in this if you refuse to talk to demons.

In fact, one of the first tutorial parts requires you to recruit a demon, so...

You'll get your ass handed to you. Enjoy!

Giant giant bummer, I guess I'll just have to open the envelope and seal it right back up when it comes this week. (they already said they are shipping it to me next).

LProtag

Amazon shipped my copy. I'm pretty excited.

Most of my experience is with Persona, but I've dabbled with some SMT games. Never really delved into them that much. Now's the time! I might go back and finish DDS1+2 after this.

Wish I took the day off tomorrow or something, ugh. At least I'm off Wednesday.

Dunno what I'm naming my MC yet, I'll come up with something.

I usually name my characters Matt, but Matthew seems like it would fit in pretty well with NPC names like Jonathan and Walter, so I'm gonna go with that.

ranmafan

I named mine after myself, Matt. Usually I like to keep the original names, but I didn't like Flynn much. In the end having my name in it worked well for me.

Giant giant bummer, I guess I'll just have to open the envelope and seal it right back up when it comes this week. (they already said they are shipping it to me next).

Just out of curiosity have you played this series before? Some titles in it have demon negotiation be very tedious, and others have it be fun and not that bad.

My copy is in my city! My building gets early AM deliveries (in addition to afternoon deliveries), so I might get it before work tomorrow, which would be so rad.

I'd rather have issues than deal with that system ever again in a game unless it makes the game basically unplayable (if it does going right back to gamefly).

Negotiation is a key pillar of the game.

If you don't wanna deal with it, my best advice is to just avoid the game entirely. This isn't for you.

Yes. You can play SMTIV on the bus.
Well played.

I named mine after myself, Matt. Usually I like to keep the original names, but I didn't like Flynn much. In the end having my name in it worked well for me.

I usually stick with the MC's default name in RPGs but "Flynn" just won't do it for me. Makes me think of Jeff Bridges' character from the movie TRON and, yeah, I'd rather not be thinking about that everytime I start murdering demons or trying to recruit them.

"Greetings programs! Err, demons!"
Or (spoilered for people who have never played a SMT game before):
"Hey, hey, hey, it's the big Master Control Program everybody's been talking about. Sorry - I meant, Yahweh..."

Conezays

Just to beat the dead horse a little more...any news on an E shop release tonight?

Looking forward to playing this...recently enjoyed going through my copy of Nocturne through PCSX2 :D

Jessicat

The demon talking mechanic in IV should also be less obtuse / frustrating since there isn't a moon phase.
Exactly! It's annoying 100% of the time now XD Seriously though, because no matter what level you are pretty much everything can kill you, so the risk is a big factor. At least with moon phases you could have a chance of demons derping out and auto-joining your team for free XD You can keep trying to recruit them, they don't seem to have a "I'm too pissed off to deal with you" limit, though they can just up and leave instead too ;>>

Is there a (obtainable) demon list out yet? Wondering if a couple from past games are in, though since they weren't on any of the past 2D games I'm guessing not. A lot of the non-Kaneko demons are painful to look at *cough*Centaur*cough*

Soriku

.....Eh I'll buy it and who said that?

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/reviews/3ds/review-shin-megami-tensei-iv

The soundtrack in the game is also mood-setting, bringing the world to life with its diverse jams. There are sweeping scores that radiate enchantment, head-pounding techno tracks as well as dread-inducing dirges that make the creepy atmosphere feel all the more disconcerting. It’s an eclectic, cornucopia of arrangements for sure, but one that can take players on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster ride. At the same time, it’s also an OST that is easily forgotten as a standalone piece. The tunes certainly serve their purpose, but there was not stand-out track that left a lasting impression.

Disagree entirely.

Many battle ones, dungeon ones, the overworlds, etc.

OK. This game's soundtrack is already up there in my favorites of the series and I've only heard like ~1/5 (20 or so tracks out of the 100+ there are) of it.

ZenComp

Neo Member
Exactly! It's annoying 100% of the time now XD Seriously though, because no matter what level you are pretty much everything can kill you, so the risk is a big factor. At least with moon phases you could have a chance of demons derping out and auto-joining your team for free XD You can keep trying to recruit them, they don't seem to have a "I'm too pissed off to deal with you" limit, though they can just up and leave instead too ;>>

Is there a (obtainable) demon list out yet? Wondering if a couple from past games are in, though since they weren't on any of the past 2D games I'm guessing not. A lot of the non-Kaneko demons are painful to look at *cough*Centaur*cough*
Only in Japanese that I know of. There is a wiki that has all of the demons well categorized, though you'd have to know what they're called in katakana to search (the MegaTen wikia should have it for most demons).
http://www34.atwiki.jp/megaten4/pages/200.html

mugwhump

Shit, I need to think of a name. Uh-oooooooooooh

Also, is the bonus CD music from the game? I like to hear it in-game first. Don't wanna spoil it.

GeekyDad

Truly, I haven't heard a track that doesn't stand out. It's not all my taste in music, but it's all very unique and uniquely SMT.

Top Bottom