• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Dresden

my stats at level 19:

http://i.imgur.com/l7n2V5a.jpg

main regret is spending 10+ points on strength, which has been spectacularly useless so far. Spending those points on Luck would have been so nice. I've been splitting it between dex/agi/luck and that's been working out really well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am baffled as to how you folks progressing through this seemingly so fast.

Do you folks not like, have to go to work or something? Hahaha.

Dresden

I am baffled as to how you folks progressing through this seemingly so fast.

Do you folks not like, have to go to work or something? Hahaha.

I've basically been playing every spare moment I could get, which is up to 9.5 hours after two days, haha. Totally addicted, but it's a wonderful feeling.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've basically been playing every spare moment I could get, which is up to 9.5 hours after two days, haha. Totally addicted, but it's a wonderful feeling.

I can only play like, 3-4 hours a day and only at night, and that is sometimes.

Weekend is coming, and I am looking forward to catch up with all of you.

Still rocking that manly TeamPHYS Dresden badge? What's your MC stat right now?

U6ieB08l.jpg

Woohoo. TeamMAG over here.

I caved; bought the game and FE because of the promotion.

As a seasoned veteran of the Persona games, any tips for tackling this beast?

83 only gets you 127 MP?
This is why I'm always so apprehensive about going full magic.

I think Magic just affects your magic attack power.

HP/MP are tied to your level and equipment instead of stats I believe.

BTW guys, if you do one of the subquests in the first area in Tokyo you can get 3 Luck Incenses. Gives you 9 luck points if you don't want to use level ups on them at this point.

Hmm. I've been neglecting LCK so far. I am focusing on DEX/STR/AGI.

Let's see how this build will fare compared to yours.

Speaking of which, it seems like most folks here go for TeamMAG huh. It's getting lonely here for TeamPHYS, hahaha.

I'm going for a physical build. Been focusing on DEX and AGI, with an occasional point into STR.

I have no clue what's going on. I'm on training mission three, I'm at full health and a random encounter surprised me and wiped my entire team on the first round.

Anybody know where I can find a list of Demons that evolve? I fuse demons constantly, I'll never find an evolution naturally, I don't think. I had Angel for a while and she never offered to turn into Archangel.

Jessicat

So, uh, I went into this random domain and found
Grendel
. I sense a supreme butt-kicking coming on, I'm half his level. Maybe I can buff my way through this :p Tally ho! XD

Cody_D165

Banned
Hey everyone who got a damaged copy from Amazon because of their bubble mailers, I just got done chatting with a Amazon CS rep and they gave me a 15% refund because my box was damaged. Mine wasn't damaged as bad as some I've seen on here, so you may be able to get more of a refund or some promotional credit if you complain enough.

Hey thanks for posting this, the CS rep offered me a choice between the 15% refund or a $10 promotional certificate when I provided a photo of my slightly damaged box.

Is there a proper time to use the incense or is it as soon as u get them?

I just spent all of them on Flynn. There's no quest or anything that requires them, so at most you could use them on a demon you like. I don't know if the stat boosts are carried through fusion.

Hey thanks for posting this, the CS rep offered me a choice between the 15% refund or a $10 promotional certificate when I provided a photo of my slightly damaged box.

That's awesome, I should do the same thing since mine was also kind of damaged. What did you say to them?

Cody_D165

Banned
That's awesome, I should do the same thing since mine was also kind of damaged. What did you say to them?

Basically I informed them that I received a damaged copy, and sent the rep a link to a photo of the damage that I had taken. She asked for my order number and looked it up, then she asked if I would like to return the item and I told her I'd prefer not to, at which point she offered the partial refund.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm #teamphysical all the way.

I'm going for a physical build. Been focusing on DEX and AGI, with an occasional point into STR.

Just for kicks, I am gonna list the members of TeamPHYS that I know so far. I am gonna update the list as the thread progresses and more people coming out that they are a part of this much more awesome group:

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
Wow, this game is really making me realize how truly bad I am at JRPGs. Can anyone give me some tips to help me out?

I'm at the beginning of the game and I feel like a third of the battles I get into, one of my demons gets instantly knocked out before I can even KO a single enemy. I don't want to be buying a ton of revival leaves in case 1 of my party members dies before I can even attempt to heal them. Is there some sort of Pokémon Center-like place I can go to to revive all my demons for free outside of Naraku I don't know about?

Normally I wouldn't mind grinding, but between the constant saving I'd have to do between every battle and the lack of a soft reset (why Atlas, why?), it would be a bit of a pain.

Sorry for the somewhat whinny post, but this game is starting to make me rage a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wow, this game is really making me realize how truly bad I am at JRPGs. Can anyone give me some tips to help me out?

I'm at the beginning of the game and I feel like a third of the battles I get into, one of my demons gets instantly knocked out before I can even KO a single enemy. I don't want to be buying a ton of revival leaves in case 1 of my party members dies before I can even attempt to heal them. Is there some sort of Pokémon Center-like place I can go to to revive all my demons for free outside of Naraku I don't know about?

Yes, if you go to the barracks you and all the demons in your stock will be fully healed and revived.

Dresden

Wow, this game is really making me realize how truly bad I am at JRPGs. Can anyone give me some tips to help me out? I'm at the beginning of the game and I feel like a third of the battles I get into, one of my demons gets instantly knocked out before I can even KO a single enemy. I don't want to be buying a ton of revival leaves in case 1 of my party members dies before I can even attempt to heal them. Is there some sort of Pokémon Center-like place I can go to to revive all my demons for free outside of Naraku I don't know about? Normally I wouldn't mind grinding, but between the constant saving I'd have to do between every battle and the lack of a soft reset (why Atlas, why?), it would be a bit of a pain. Sorry for the somewhat whinny post, but this game is starting to make me rage a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Go to the barrack, resting up will revive everyone too.

Demons are disposable. You can also fuse dead demons into a live one! Finally, remember that negotiating with a demon whose counterpart you already possess in your party or stock will just retreat, and occasionally heal you/give you maccas.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Normally I wouldn't mind grinding, but between the constant saving I'd have to do between every battle and the lack of a soft reset (why Atlas, why?), it would be a bit of a pain.

Sorry for the somewhat whinny post, but this game is starting to make me rage a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say this is done to discourage constant resetting.

But then again they allow instead saving/loading everywhere, hahaha.

Also, is this your 1st SMT game? Seems like it.

Team PHYS represent!

Added :D

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf
spiritfox

Poyunch

One thing that bothers me about the package is the pamphlet at the back of the box. It's only attached at the bottom. So fragile.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Most of my FUCK THIS SHIT moment came from me misjudging the proximity of the enemy and thus late swing and thus the enemy getting an initiative and thus FUCK IT.

Also negotiating.

Anyways, some guy on gamefaqs speculate that STR actually play a part in Physical Defense, that is, Phys resistance. Wonder if it's true, because it just seem silly that Physical-oriented MCs/Demons can fall as easily as Gandalf MC when being attacked physically. It's just seem... wrong.

Basically I informed them that I received a damaged copy, and sent the rep a link to a photo of the damage that I had taken. She asked for my order number and looked it up, then she asked if I would like to return the item and I told her I'd prefer not to, at which point she offered the partial refund.

Thanks for the info! At first, Debbie from Amazon tried to give me the cold shoulder, but she quickly came around. I took the $10 credit, more money for Steam sales.

Anyways, some guy on gamefaqs speculate that STR actually play a part in Physical Defense, that is, Phys resistance. Wonder if it's true, because it just seem silly that Physical-oriented MCs/Demons can fall as easily as Gandalf MC when being attacked physically. It's just seem... wrong.

If that's true, I'm gonna boost STR like there's no tomorrow, even though STR is already my highest stat. My whole party feels like it has the defense of a moldy banana. A demon looks at us and we all die.

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
Yes, if you go to the barracks you and all the demons in your stock will be fully healed and revived.

Go to the barrack, resting up will revive everyone too.

Demons are disposable. You can also fuse dead demons into a live one! Finally, remember that negotiating with a demon whose counterpart you already possess in your party or stock will just retreat, and occasionally heal you/give you maccas.

Thank you so much for the info on the barracks guys, this should make the game wayyyyy easier for me now. Also, cool to know you can fuse dead demons into live ones. Wouldn't have thought of that. And I'm still learning how to negotiate and recruit demons so it's good to know they can benefit you like that.

I'd say this is done to discourage constant resetting.

But then again they allow instead saving/loading everywhere, hahaha.

Also, is this your 1st SMT game? Seems like it.
Well I know WHY they did it, it just seems like a cruel joke to me =P . I mean I'm going to reset anyways, it's just a more tedious process than I would like.

And this is my first mainline SMT game, but I've played through Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 (PS2), and Devil Survivor all on hard so I'm not entirely new to how SMT games work.

Anyways guys, thanks for the info! Should make this game much more enjoyable for me now =D.

KarmaCow

So just to make sure, there is no way to save a Smirk on a character other than trying to make sure that character doesn't get another turn right?

I beat the first boss
Minotaur
and was easier than I expected. What is the expected level for that fight? I spent a little time trying to clear out my stock of demons through fusing which meant a little bit of wandering around trying to find specific demons but I don't think I got too much exp for that. I'm actually planning on doing that to get that special Fortuna fusion but I'm hesitant to fuse demons still learning skills or out right deleting demons to make room.

JJD

Guys anyone had any kind of problem redeeming their $30 promotion?

I got the code from Club Nintendo but when I try to put it in my 3DS it says that it's not compatible with my eshop region. My eshop region is Canada.

Young Magus

I'm 6 around hours in the game so far, gotta say I'm loving it. From the design to the battles to the OST glad that I decided to pick this up.

Quick Question (early spoilers):
For minotaur, what is the best way to defeat him? Use buffs or debuffs? I have a few demons that can buff my party but 1 that can debuff him.

Made it past
Minotaur
by myself... He knocked out my demons in the first two turns, but I kept getting an extra turn + Smirk, which in some strange turn of RNG-nirvana made him miss and lose his moves every turn. So
Bufu + Bufu > Minotaur misses > repeat.

I don't know how it happened but it happened.

Anyway, I'm in Tokyo now. Did the first few main quests there, and I've been roaming doing challenge quests now to amass macca. I have around 20k now, upgraded my equipment and everything. I just need demons to not make off with my shit when negotiating! :mad:

LProtag

I inadvertently ended up in a demon's domain where all the demons were nearly 10 levels higher than me. By exploiting weakness I was able to kill quite a few of them. Just gained 5 levels in an extremely short amount of time.

I feel like a pro.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm 6 around hours in the game so far, gotta say I'm loving it. From the design to the battles to the OST glad that I decided to pick this up.

Quick Question (early spoilers):
For minotaur, what is the best way to defeat him? Use buffs or debuffs? I have a few demons that can buff my party but 1 that can debuff him.

Never used a buff/debuff during this battle. If you have demons with bufu, you are golden.

Top Bottom