• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

KarmaCow

I'm 6 around hours in the game so far, gotta say I'm loving it. From the design to the battles to the OST glad that I decided to pick this up.

Quick Question (early spoilers):
For minotaur, what is the best way to defeat him? Use buffs or debuffs? I have a few demons that can buff my party but 1 that can debuff him.

Bufu and Sukukaja (boosts hit/evade) will make the fight pretty easy.

I feel like I'm really, really bad at navigating Tokyo. I seem to get lost and hit dead ends very, very often. On the plus side, my random explorations have been very conducive to experience and demon acquisition. Yay!

Toki767

I inadvertently ended up in a demon's domain where all the demons were nearly 10 levels higher than me. By exploiting weakness I was able to kill quite a few of them. Just gained 5 levels in an extremely short amount of time.

I feel like a pro.

That happened to me in Tokyo. I didn't know where I was going. Only that the monsters I was fighting were a much higher level than I was.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Haha that moment after you obtain (Early Tokyo Spoilers)
Peallaidh's Head, where it gets passed around, such a small but entertaining scene

Aeana

I feel kinda bad because (Tokyo stuff spoilers)
when you get to Tokyo, it VERY VERY clearly hearkens back to SMT1 and 2 in a very powerful way. If people haven't played those games, that's really lost on them... and Atlus USA has never given anybody the chance to try those games. Sad to think about, for me. :(

Frosteey

Neo Member
It doesn't actually work like that, so far as I can tell. You can list, say, Dwarf, to be the only demon to come up in the search, but if you don't have the demons needed to fuse one, it will show 0 for the results, with no recipe of required demons, of course.

Make sure you're clicking the right options in search. The two default options at the top are for demons included in the recipe. Compendium check box is in the last set of options.

Unless you mean like, 'See every possible fusion recipe for a demon, including demons not registered in the compendium'. I am not sure there is any way to actually do that.

Toki767

I feel kinda bad because (Tokyo stuff spoilers)
when you get to Tokyo, it VERY VERY clearly hearkens back to SMT1 and 2 in a very powerful way. If people haven't played those games, that's really lost on them... and Atlus USA has never given anybody the chance to try those games. Sad to think about, for me. :(

You mean the
overworld?

Aeana

You mean the
overworld?

Yes, but not just that.
Once you get to Ueno and Burroughs tells you that the people have set up a town underground, and you go down in there and there really is a whole town. This is actually one thing that SMT3 missed. When you first get to Shibuya, you enter the town area and it's totally empty. Obviously that was necessary for the atmosphere (and story) that game was going for, but this is just so great. Also, I ran into a gaean person in a battle on the overworld and I squealed. I guess gaeans and mesians are back? So cool.

Frosteey

Neo Member
I used to have that much.
It all went away after one special fusion.

Compendium search fusion is pretty useful for this to. A lot of the time you'll be able to combine something in your party with some random low level thing from the compendium to cheaply make a component. Or there might be a combine cost for the component that's lower than summoning the component itself.

I just cut the cost to summon Dave by 50%, by compendium summoning Apsaras and Naga instead of going by their list price in the compendium. (Passed on skills are lol-bad which is why it's so cheap, but I am never going to use him anyway, so the discount is good for me, just to maybe pass on his skills and register him in the compendium).

Works even better for components where you can take something in your stock and fuse it with a random Pegasus or whatever for a thousand Macca instead of paying 10k for a straight compendium summon.

yami4ct

Just for kicks, I am gonna list the members of TeamPHYS that I know so far. I am gonna update the list as the thread progresses and more people coming out that they are a part of this much more awesome group:

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf

I distribute my stats more or less randomly (I know, I know. Bad move.), but I definitely bias them more or less toward phys. Same way I built my SMT III guy and he kicked ass. So, Team Phys all the way!

Vice

No. They say it covers about 40%.

That's great. I just bought the game yesterday. Flipped through and it seemed way too short for an SMT game.

Just got
to the forest to look for survivors. So far things have been going smoothly.

Esura

Banned
Should I put points in STR and DEX at all if I'm a magic user? So far I've been getting whispered magic and focusing all my stats on MAG, AG, and LUCK slightly.

Raytow

Omg...I finally have some cash! 15999 macca. Glorious 5 digits
How are you getting that much money, I'm doing quest, trying to get money from demons(usually get reamed after) and sell almost all the items that aren't heal related and the maximum I got was 6000 macca, just got to Tokyo as well.

Tirod

Still pretty early on in the game, I just
encountered the Black Samurai for the first time and the resulting Horde battle was pretty hilarious

Only 2 levels away from fusing a Tam Lin, but my 3DS battery decided to blink red at me, so I'm retiring for the night.

Absolutely loving the game so far, will really dig deep into it the next two days.

Kenka

sad-rain-cloud-dark.jpg

Aeana

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/73322/sad-rain-cloud-dark.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You could play Mario & Luigi 4 in the meantime. Then you can enjoy playing Bravely Default this year while NA has to wait until 2014. Feel free to laugh it up!

Young Magus

Made it past
Minotaur
by myself... He knocked out my demons in the first two turns, but I kept getting an extra turn + Smirk, which in some strange turn of RNG-nirvana made him miss and lose his moves every turn. So
Bufu + Bufu > Minotaur misses > repeat.

I don't know how it happened but it happened.

Anyway, I'm in Tokyo now. Did the first few main quests there, and I've been roaming doing challenge quests now to amass macca. I have around 20k now, upgraded my equipment and everything. I just need demons to not make off with my shit when negotiating! :mad:

Never used a buff/debuff during this battle. If you have demons with bufu, you are golden.

Bufu and Sukukaja (boosts hit/evade) will make the fight pretty easy.

Thanks ya`ll the advice helped a lot.
I won but I (and only I) was killed it battle. Now stuck in the Madusa battle. Advice pls?

pa22word

I went into this game really excited for it, wildly anticipating the sequel to nocturne, and upon playing it was greeted by a GO in my third-ish battle without even getting the chance to have a turn due to shit I couldn't control, and I immediately shut it off. I really, really fucking despise the persona style "attack whats on screen to start an encounter" bullshit, but it's only worsened here due to the wonky camera and weird control layout (why in the hell is attack mapped on Y? who in the hell has their hands laying there by default?). When I get ran through in a single turn (at full health) due to press turn deciding it was my turn to have shit roll down hill uncontrollably almost entirely due to getting attacked by an enemy that popped up from offscreen that I couldn't swing the wonky camera around to hit and then fumble with the control layout to hit attack, that's just bad design. I had no chance of actually surviving that encounter no matter what I did (remember, I was at full health), and that's terrible design. I am probably going to shelve it for a bit until I can get myself in the proper mood to deal with some of this game's horseshit.

duckroll

Wow. Tokyo is a whole different game. I haven't been so SMT-ed since SMT2. It's so fucking weird. I never thought there would ever be a game like SMT and SMT2 again, especially after SMT3 and SJ, but damn, they really did it. It's pretty crazy.

Thoraxes

Just for kicks, I am gonna list the members of TeamPHYS that I know so far. I am gonna update the list as the thread progresses and more people coming out that they are a part of this much more awesome group:

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf

I'm going teamPHYS too.

It's kinda my thing for these games.

As far as I'm concerned, Tokyo is where SMT IV becomes a full blown, ridiculously cool SMT game.

It really is night and day between the first seven hours or so and everything else.

Wow. Tokyo is a whole different game. I haven't been so SMT-ed since SMT2. It's so fucking weird. I never thought there would ever be a game like SMT and SMT2 again, especially after SMT3 and SJ, but damn, they really did it. It's pretty crazy.

What is the... SMT-ness of the SMT1 and 2 that wasn't present in the later titles? Is it the fact that the game takes place in a modern real-world populated location that also happens to be crawling with demons?

FaceDa

Banned
ARE YOU SERIOUS SHE'S WEAK TO ZAN

I was stuck on her and tried every other element because I'm dumb. And I just erased Zan on my main guy for more buffs. Blah.

Kenka

You could play Mario & Luigi 4 in the meantime. Then you can enjoy playing Bravely Default this year while NA has to wait until 2014. Feel free to laugh it up!

Each word went straight to the heart, thanks.

sad+face.jpg

I wish my sadness was tiny so your post would have made it disapear completely.

This is my first SMT game and I've barely started the tutorial but this game cracks me up.

That griffon got me to dig and then said good you just dug your own grave. Then he and his lightning spell wielding demon friend proceeded to whoop my ass.

Thanks for the help, fellas. For some reason it didn't show up until I closed the game and then booted it up again.

Its not very good, I never even used it. The amazon pre-order seems a lot better by comparison. It should be in your inventory from the start after you input the code iirc.

Yeah, I know. Still wanted to get it though.

Sleepy

Guys, help me out a bit. Just used my GameStop DLC code and I have no idea where the armor is. What do?

It is in the item section under body armor.
Don't use it, though. As it makes you weak to the demons of the game's first encounter. They will mop the floor with you if you have it on when you fight them. And no I'm not kidding...it took me three deaths to figure out it was the damn armor.

duckroll

What is the... SMT-ness of the SMT1 and 2 that wasn't present in the later titles? Is it the fact that the game takes place in a modern real-world populated location that also happens to be crawling with demons?

I think the best way to describe it would be Cyberpunk Yakuza with Guns.

Top Bottom