• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Sakura Wars : new info + gameplay

lachesis

I pre ordered it, but haven’t really heard that great things about combat system. Not bad, but not great either.

In retrospect, previous combat system of turn based strategy didn’t offer much challenge either. I always thought it was way too easy, and felt loke battles were mere ways to finish the episode’s storyline.

But nevertheless, I really enjoyed Sakura Taisen series up to 3 (4 was okay but lacked the stupendous production value the series was known for) - that it really felt like playing thru an anime series, and also probably because of my Sega fanboyism back in the day too. I still feel nostalgic towards originals - so that’s one of the reasons that I am picking it up.

Anyone know how the combat in this game plays...
The game essentially features simple, two-button action combat, with the standard super attacks that become available as you build meters. Sakura Wars probably won't satisfy anyone looking for a DMC or Bayonetta style of action game.

I pre ordered it, but haven’t really heard that great things about combat system. Not bad, but not great either.

In retrospect, previous combat system of turn based strategy didn’t offer much challenge either. I always thought it was way too easy, and felt loke battles were mere ways to finish the episode’s storyline.

But nevertheless, I really enjoyed Sakura Taisen series up to 3 (4 was okay but lacked the stupendous production value the series was known for) - that it really felt like playing thru an anime series, and also probably because of my Sega fanboyism back in the day too. I still feel nostalgic towards originals - so that’s one of the reasons that I am picking it up.
The game essentially features simple, two-button action combat, with the standard super attacks that become available as you build meters. Sakura Wars probably won't satisfy anyone looking for a DMC or Bayonetta style of action game.
Okay, thanks for the info, I'm not really looking for that super style action, rather something similar to the LR-FF13 combat system. If it's similar to the Tales of systems that's fine too. Also if the combat system is lacking, I hope the VN and story content is good enough to balance it out. Are any of those other side characters romanceable, explicitly Hakushu Murasame, the Shingenori Soejima character?

Okay, thanks for the info, I'm not really looking for that super style action, rather something similar to the LR-FF13 combat system. If it's similar to the Tales of systems that's fine too.
The combat portions of the game are closer to a less frenetic musou title, rather than a system with a hybrid of menu-driven-action battles. It's probably better to think of the combat in terms of a simple action game and not a RPG.

Are any of those other side characters romanceable, explicitly Hakushu Murasame,
I couldn't say for certain, whether it's possible to trigger any special scenes with some of the side characters, but the relationship building in the series is generally focused on the main heroines, since it affects their proficiency in combat.

dottme

It’s weird the marketing to be running so much but they didn’t even put the game on the US Playstation Store.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s weird the marketing to be running so much but they didn’t even put the game on the US Playstation Store.
Thats my concern as well, we are very close to release but the game is not on PSN. Especially now when most can’t buy physical copy because most stores are closed.

Danjin44

Is it possible this game is not gonna have digital copy in US and Canada? If so then thats crazy weird, we got digital only games but I never thought we get physical only copy, especially in times like this.

Last edited:

dottme

Is it possible this game is not gonna have digital copy in US and Canada? If so then thats crazy weird, we got digital only games but I never thought we get physical only copy, especially in times like this.
There’s a digital deluxe edition on their website:

so you’re good. You’ll have the digital version. I just don’t know when.

The characters look really good, but I hope the Story/Gameplay can hold it up just as well.

Really not sure whether to wait or not as I fear I will miss out on the Launch Edition.

night13x

Does anyone have any clarity on the DLC situation?

I know the physical launch edition comes with its own dlc while the digital deluxe comes with a completely separate set of dlc. Does anyone know if there is any official answer on if all DLC will be available to purchase or will it be locked down to which edition you choose? I did see that the JPN version came out with a season pass - so hoping they follow a similar route.

Danjin44

Does anyone have any clarity on the DLC situation?

I know the physical launch edition comes with its own dlc while the digital deluxe comes with a completely separate set of dlc. Does anyone know if there is any official answer on if all DLC will be available to purchase or will it be locked down to which edition you choose? I did see that the JPN version came out with a season pass - so hoping they follow a similar route.
I honestly have no Idea, the only DLC set I'm aware of are these.....
81pyoCnJmpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

And digital version of Sakura Wars is still not available on PSN here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom