• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate |OT|

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not port-begging, just asking a question since I don't own a Vita: is there any chance this could come to PS4 or 3DS in the future (not super fond of playing it on PC but I'd take that option as well if that's the only way)?
I've loved the sh!t out of Shiren TW ever since getting it on DS and Wii thanks to GAF's recommendation back then!

Not port-begging, just asking a question since I don't own a Vita: is there any chance this could come to PS4 or 3DS in the future (not super fond of playing it on PC but I'd take that option as well if that's the only way)?
I've loved the sh!t out of Shiren TW ever since getting it on DS and Wii thanks to GAF's recommendation back then!
Seeing as this is already a remake of a DS game and who knows if another port would happen much less be localized... Your non-Vita hopes are probably not gonna be realized. :/

autoduelist

Frustrated -- got myself all hyped for this and... Amazon messed up my preorder. Just spent an hour with customer service and still no resolution. Argh.

The most you'll get is possibly a PC port down the line since Aksys has been starting to dip it's toes in the water there.

Shizuka

Something I didn't see anyone mentioning, but the bonus items you get from the tutorials at the beginning of the game are random. I started a new game and just got completely different (and way better) equipment from that.

Night time sucks man. I've got my methods down by now where I can make due with most anything the early dungeons throw at me.
I even survived a couple monster houses...
But once I get to about floor 7 of the Tower and night comes around I get trampled and have to use an herb to escape.

I have one Night-Day Scroll bit I feel like I should save it for a more dire circumstance.

HotHamBoy

It's highly unlikely because it's such an incredibly niche series. Even if it got ported it would have to be localized as well.

I could see Spike Chunsoft putting the game on Steam, they're doing a lot of ports themselves these days. The other platforms are very unlikely
It's highly unlikely because it's such an incredibly niche series. Even if it got ported it would have to be localized as well.
It's already localized though?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thanks for the replies guys. Any of the JPN-only Shiren games on DS have been fan-translated perhaps?
Game looks great, another gem to go to the pile of awesome stuff I'll def buy if I ever get my hands on a Vita someday.

My best advice is to look for anyone selling a PSTV/Vita for cheap, its a nice little console that has a pretty good game selection. I picked one up just to play Persona 4 Golden on my TV, I am glad they made Shiren 5 PSTV compatible as well.

chrono01

Any unboxing videos of the Limited Edition? I kind of want to see what the bracelet/art book look like before I commit.

Managed to reach the boss of Fortune Tower. Died pretty much immediately lol. At Ieast I have an idea what items to prepare with for next time.

Man, coming from Shiren (1) DS, the amount of items in this game is almost staggering by comparison—and you don't have much more inventory space to lug things around. It seems like the game is encouraging you to make more immediate use of the things you find, rather than trying to stock up for a rainy day. I like that.

Also, lord, this game badly needed another proofreading/editing pass on its text. Lots of repeated words and weird constructions.

Joe Molotov

Wow, the tutorials are...extensive. I thought I was done, but it keeps throwing more at me. Which is totally fine (since they're optional). I'm fairly familiar with Mystery Dungeon mechanics, but it's a good refresher just to make sure I know how all the systems work. And it actually walks you though each topic, as opposed to throwing a bunch of text boxes at you that are easy to gloss over.

I played it for about 2 hours last night, beat the first tower.

This is my first mystery dungeon game and I'm liking it so far. How long are these games usually?

And when you die, do you also lose your levels?

Never played a Mystery Dungeon game before but went ahead and ordered this. I love roguelikes and that pixel art looks gorgeous. Just wondering, but how does this one stack up against others in the series? I've heard less than stellar things about the Wii entry, but beyond that I don't really know much about popular opinion on these games.

Hot damn, this Tower of Fate boss is no joke. Im gonna need a stockpile of items to even hope to take it down.

At least I made it to the top of the online leaderboard!

NpzCkTT.jpg

This is my first mystery dungeon game and I'm liking it so far. How long are these games usually?

And when you die, do you also lose your levels?
You lose your levels when you die or exit the dungeon. It's not as big of a deal as it seems.

Never played a Mystery Dungeon game before but went ahead and ordered this. I love roguelikes and that pixel art looks gorgeous. Just wondering, but how does this one stack up against others in the series? I've heard less than stellar things about the Wii entry, but beyond that I don't really know much about popular opinion on these games.
This is probably one of the best Shiren games, and one of the better mystery dungeon games in general.

ChrisDM

Hot damn, this Tower of Fate boss is no joke. Im gonna need a stockpile of items to even hope to take it down.

At least I made it to the top of the online leaderboard!

NpzCkTT.jpg

You lose your levels when you die or exit the dungeon. It's not as big of a deal as it seems.

This is probably one of the best Shiren games, and one of the better mystery dungeon games in general.

I thought the rankings were automatically uploaded.

Uploaded mine from yesterday where I died on the boss.
I'm first now :p

BPVcgvO.jpg

This is just going to keep escalating.

ZIP0wmK.png

Most amazing three posts in a row in a long time. I love this so much.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Waiting for my copy to arrive from Canada as I didn't want to go digital if I have a good alternative to it. Hopefully it'll be here next week.

This certainly is a review that should be added to the OP btw. ;)
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/shiren-the-wanderer-vita-review-rogue-leader

Great review!

I've also consolidated the reviews/articles so far in this post here, for easy access to update the OP with too :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211471788&postcount=78

Tremis

This man does his research.
Got a Vita!!!

So excited starting this up today. There's so much more to it than Mystery Dungeon for the DS and I loved that game. Worth the price of a Vita alone, although I had to find one used.

Made it to the Tower of Fortune boss again. Wiped out the minions, had double speed on, everything was going well, had probably 250 damage done.
I'm alternating between mage wands blasts and sword slashes when I get blinded and hit with a laser. Health drops down to Red and I can't use my escape scroll cause I'm blinded.
Ugh.

Bento

Just started the game and I'm going through the tutorials in the Beginner's House and in doing so have ended up with a fully stocked inventory, is there a way to put some of it in a storage or something? I think there was a storage in the DS game but I could be wrong about that since it's been a while since I last played it.

EGM92

I asked the sales team internally and they said Amazon Canada should be receiving it tomorrow. Sorry for the wait!

The story is light, gameplay is more so the focus as is the modus operandi for rogue-likes, but there is an overarching story line that will be enough to keep you interested :)

Also, if you notice the text at the start of the game, Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (the 5th game in the series) actually takes place right after the events of Shiren The Wanderer DS2: Magic Castle of the Desert.

Shiren The Wanderer DS2: Magic Castle of the Desert was originally on Gameboy Color and was a direct sequel to Shiren The Wanderer 2: Demon Invasion! Shiren Castle! on N64, which takes place when Shiren is a child.
Thanks for the info but I got an email from Amazon saying I'd be getting my copy between Sept 7th to Nov 6th not waiting that long for a game that was released the other day. I might get it when its on sale or maybe not at all now. Hope the game does well, always nice seeing new titles on the vita

Just started the game and I'm going through the tutorials in the Beginner's House and in doing so have ended up with a fully stocked inventory, is there a way to put some of it in a storage or something? I think there was a storage in the DS game but I could be wrong about that since it's been a while since I last played it.

If you go through Inori Village's east gate, you'll end up in the hub town of Nekomaneki, where you'll actually find two storage facilities: one the regular warehouse you might remember from Shiren DS, and the other a menu-based storage system. You can come back to Inori and finish the tutorials after you stash your stuff, if you like.

Bento

If you go through Inori Village's east gate, you'll end up in the hub town of Nekomaneki, where you'll actually find two storage facilities: one the regular warehouse you might remember from Shiren DS, and the other a menu-based storage system. You can come back to Inori and finish the tutorials after you stash your stuff, if you like.
Thank you!

Man I would buy this game in a heart beat,however due to having no space on my 32GB memory card and not willing to buy an overpriced pos memory card from Sony,I'll have to think long and hard on a game I can delete.

This is the only issue I have with the vita....overpriced memory cards, oh well I'll just watch playthroughs of this on Vita.

soothe.

Man I would buy this game in a heart beat,however due to having no space on my 32GB memory card and not willing to buy an overpriced pos memory card from Sony,I'll have to think long and hard on a game I can delete.

This is the only issue I have with the vita....overpriced memory cards, oh well I'll just watch playthroughs of this on Vita.

so, are you really playing every single game that you have on your Vita all the time?

you do know you can always download your games again with no restrictions?

so, are you really playing every single game that you have on your Vita all the time?

you do know you can always download your games again with no restrictions?

Actually, yes I am as I took advantage of the glitch in the store so I have the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games on an US account, then I have some pretty large games.

I'll get the game just not until I decide on which game has to go from the memory card just yet.

Yeah, I decided to get rid of Metal Slug Anthology on the PSP...it was a badly ported set anyway due to loading issues.

I'll be buying this game as I enjoyed the one on DS many years ago, hopefully Its not a let down.

Gu4n

I imported the Japanese version, and despite numerous attempts, I never made it beyond the area after the village. Now that the game has been released here, I hope to discover some tips and tricks that motivate me to try it again.

What I'm basically struggling with is the pacing of progressing: when do I stick around in a room to level up, what do I do with my weapons, how do I avoid certain enemies - that kind of stuff, nothing concrete. I'm just hopelessly stuck, haha.

Top Bottom