• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirobako |OT| I've come to bury moe anime, not to praise it (dir. of Blood-C, GuP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Tarou gets fired in the end.

It would be SO REAL.

duckroll

I hope that they go with a plotline where they do fire him, and he ends up getting a job outside the industry, but he runs into the other characters occasionally throughout the series and we see that he's still still an ass and a creep, but has a better job and less stress and is happier overall. That would be reality!

Haly

Like actual fired (he's DONE) or anime fired (he gets an episode to redeem himself)
This isn't anime... this is anime PRODUCTION.

Apparently he's the assigned P.A. for the final episode of the show so he must be doing something right!
Sexism in the industry, clearly. #anigate

He gets promoted while Aoi gets canned. She gets life lessons on office politics.
The cruel fate of women in the industry.

I hope that they go with a plotline where they do fire him, and he ends up getting a job outside the industry, but he runs into the other characters occasionally throughout the series and we see that he's still still an ass and a creep, but has a better job and less stress and is happier overall. That would be reality!
2real4me

Dresden

"Hey I always was good with computers!"

sonicmj1

Anyway I really enjoyed episode 4, as is the trend. You can see how tough the audition was for Shizuka, not just in what happens, or how she reacts, but in how her friends respond to her reaction. I really appreciate how this show handles all these unstated social dynamics in the complex web of relations surrounding Aoi's job and friends. Everyone isn't necessarily rounded (yet), but they're all distinct individuals, responding as people do.

I can relate far too well to Aoi's dependence on convenience store dinners.

As a bonus, here's a translated version of one of the anime production charts from the show's website.

iJ3nVHZbwqFfC.png

Verelios

Loving this show and it's surprisingly my favorite of the season. It's partly how grounded the characters are but also that's it's really fun to watch.

I mean, anime production! It shouldn't be this awesome.

Agree on Taro needing a reality check. Have no idea what he's actually good at, but he should be great at something since everyone gives him face.

jman2050

The question we have to ask ourselves is how real do we want this show to get?

Cause we should be careful what we wish for!

Haly

Aoi Miyamori: Royally fucks up final episode after Taro gets fired and it gets passed to her. Gets blacklisted from the industry.
Shizuka Sakaki: After her izakaya shuts down, she needs to turn to hentai VA to pay the bills.
Ema Yasuhara: Nearly dies from overworking on final episode that Miyamori screws up. Retires early from the industry to go back to the countryside.
Midori Imai: Ghost writing harem LN junk.
Misa Toudou: Winds up in mobile gaming development instead.

FluxWaveZ

Life Sucks And Then You Die: The Animation

Nah, this anime's hopeful in the way that Space Brothers is. Unless things take a dark twist in the near future and all of the main protagonists end up homeless.

Edit: Oh wait, should have read the above comment. Yes, now that'd be a marvel to watch unfold.

Jarmel

Banned
Aoi Miyamori: Royally fucks up final episode after Taro gets fired and it gets passed to her. Gets blacklisted from the industry.
Shizuka Sakaki: After her izakaya shuts down, she needs to turn to hentai VA to pay the bills. She ends up as the tentacle monster.
Ema Yasuhara: Nearly dies from overworking on final episode that Miyamori screws up. Retires early from the industry to go back to the countryside and meets up with Mitsuo Iso.
Midori Imai: Ghost writing harem incest LN junk.
Misa Toudou: Winds up in mobile gaming development working for Suda51.

Fixed.

Branduil

Shizuka Sakaki: After her izakaya shuts down, she needs to turn to hentai VA to pay the bills.
Ema Yasuhara: Nearly dies from overworking on final episode that Miyamori screws up. Retires early from the industry to go back to the countryside.

Tarou: becomes multi-billionaire after his Seiyuu-raising Mobage takes off.

PK Gaming

So we're all in agreement that Tarou becomes the main antagonist after getting fired, right?

Tarou (in an expensive suit): I've always been a stand-alone tiger.

Khrno

Love this series, easily on my top 3 of the season.

After Hanayamata ended I thought this was going to be a grim season, but Shirobako is a close replacement. I still need my yosakoi fix from youtube every so often.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I think we can all agree that Tarou is the worst. Fuck him

Chances are hentai VA probably pay better than just being regular anime VA.

Huh, i really though he was based on that guy who cause GuP to be delayed.

Seiji Mizushima tweeted this: https://twitter.com/oichanmusi/status/528184538044706818

Yb9VhPA.jpg

The real director who inspired the director character in the show is cosplaying as the character in real life. This is too meta.

LOL.
I guess he like the character then.

SnakeEyes

Banned
SO real!

so as a hyper casual anime fan (the last full series I watched was Moribito, as it was released on DVD, which I liked overall) is this worth watching? Or is it too "insider knowledge" for someone like me to understand?

Seiji Mizushima tweeted this: https://twitter.com/oichanmusi/status/528184538044706818

Yb9VhPA.jpg

The real director who inspired the director character in the show is cosplaying as the character in real life. This is too meta.

This is amazing.

so as a hyper casual anime fan (the last full series I watched was Moribito, as it was released on DVD, which I liked overall) is this worth watching? Or is it too "insider knowledge" for someone like me to understand?

You'll be fine. While you might be a little disoriented at times, the show is intending some amount of disorientation (in terms of showing how hectic the process can be and what not). It doesn't really require any real knowledge beyond 'anime is a thing that exists and people make it'.

jman2050

Awful but hey, people have lived through worse.

That's just cruel and unusual, don't do this to poor Misa even as a joke.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, mobile game development is probably less stressful and less demanding than the typical anime studio.

Because her dream is to be a 3D animator.

Instead she'll be making social card games featuring moe girls.

Sure, probably less creatively fulfilling.

Haly

Because her dream is to be a 3D animator.

Instead she'll be making social card games featuring moe girls.

Guess Who

Banned
I feel like what episode 4 was going for was much better than it ended up. The bar scene is great on paper, but at a certain point it became a bit too anime-motivational-speech for me to believe that these are real people having a conversation about work.

Branduil

I feel like what episode 4 was going for was much better than it ended up. The bar scene is great on paper, but at a certain point it became a bit too anime-motivational-speech for me to believe that these are real people having a conversation about work.

Well, they are people who watch way too much anime!

duckroll

I think there are certainly portions of ep4 which are very "written" rather than being natural. In particular the scene after the movie where each girl was talking about the specific part of the movie they liked which is directly linked to their character's professional ambition in the show. People don't really think and talk like that unless they're very shallow, and among friends who know each other really well, I think it would have been more natural for the characters to make jabs at each other instead, like "You're an animator now right? Do you get to animate scenes like that now?" and so on.

But I thought the bar scene was fairly realistic. They started out pretty positive and stuff, but started getting more relaxed as they got more drunk, and it was pretty normal for them to be interested in what they're all doing now, and the voice actress was the one with the most stories to tell. The progression of the scene worked really well.

fertygo

Why would somebody want to be an anime writer? I don't understand this at all. explain it to me.

Someone like Mari Okada had check for like 5 show per season just madly typing her keyboard, who don't want the job?

The aspiring key animator is the crazy one. Got shit pay, overworked, barely mentioned.

FluxWaveZ

the one college girl wants to write scripts for anime and I dont understand why.

But I don't understand what's wrong with wanting to be a writer, unless there's something specific about the anime industry I'm missing? In that group, it's probably the job I'd prefer.

Shergal

The director dude is like helplessness moe, except he's actually getting in the way of stuff in the production of the show with his indiscipline. I like how his character plays out while also getting frustrated at him for being so milquetoast. I mean, getting bossed around by your enshutsu... lol

Episode 5:
Endou is the hero that anime deserves. I imagine that a lot of us can really get involved emotionally in this episode given the struggle between traditional animation and CG. It's something that most of us probably have pretty strong feelings on, so the passion that Endou and Hotta feel towards protecting traditional animation and providing the most impact really carries over to the viewer. Once again, we get a nice sense for the passion of everyone involved.

The real bad guy in all of this is Tarou. He did almost everything wrong he possibly could have. It was kind of hilarious watching him relating messages between the two of them and constantly phrasing things in the worst possible way, often adding in hostile messages by complete accident. I think this goes a long ways to showing why he's so bad at his job. He just has no social awareness whatsoever, which coupled with his refusal to talk to anyone about what's going on, makes him really awful. I loved Aoi's facial expressions whenever she was talking with him.

Kinoshita and Honda's scenes together were also good. At the end of the episode you can start to feel their passion for what they work on, and understand why Kinoshita has been so nervous about where Exodus is going. He's a bit flaky as a director, but his passion for the show is second to none. At the middle of the episode we also had a pretty funny transition from Honda saying he wouldn't listen to him pee, to the sound of the chicken cooking.

Every week Shirobako continues to impress, and I'm pretty much convinced that this is going to the best anime of the year by a pretty wide margin. The production is slick, the writing is very tight, and the show is extremely passionate about its subject matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom