• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I Buy a PS5?

SHould I buy the PS5?

• YES

Votes: 156 69.6%
  • NO

Votes: 68 30.4%

• Total voters

Zones

mxrrtmhy9rsawfo7.gif

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Jokes aside, we need to know what you own, OP.

Do you own a decent gaming PC? If yes, I probably wouldn't bother until later down the line, unless there are games you cannot wait to play on PS5.

Do you own a Series X? If yes, again, I probably wouldn't bother.

Do you own only a Switch? If yes, then I'd get a PS5 to complement it.

If you only have a PS4, I'd get the PS5 too.

We can't really answer without knowing your needs and what you already have.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Do you own a decent gaming PC? If yes, I probably wouldn't bother until later down the line, unless there are games you cannot wait to play on PS5.

This. Plus so many harking on about the Steam Deck when it's a very situational device.

One that would be completely useless for someone if they don't/won't be handheld gaming on the go, traveling, or even around the house.

Fbh

What systems to do you have and what type of games do you enjoy?

IMO if you already have a decent PC it's not worth it right now, 1-2 cool exclusives a year (which will likely end up on PC within 1-2 years) aren't worth it. In that case I'd rather put the money aside for a Switch 2 or hell even a meta quest 3 or something which allows me to play a substantial amount of new games which aren't available to me.

If you are still on last gen hardware then it's definitely worth it. You'll get a lot better performance on cross gen games and we are finally seeing more and more current gen only releases.

AJUMP23

My gaming PC is pretty decent Handled BG3 just fine.

I have a series X

I have a Switch

I have a PS4 played GOW2 on it.

Reactions: Isa

emivita

Don't waste your money and wait for PS5 Pro. Personally, I still game on PS4 Pro, but I think it's about to die because of weird behaviors lately. Still, I'm gonna wait for the Pro model.

AJUMP23

You're asking the wrong question, it should be 'which exclusive games do I like which justify buying a PS5?' If the answer is 'not enough' then there's no point buying it. Personally I play it all the time, it's my preferred gaming platform.
Spiderman 2 maybe and FF Remake 2.

That is about it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SirTerry-T

I have a series X

I have a Switch

I'd save your cash, with those systems you own there must surely be enough games to keep you busy. Save it towards a family holiday or something. There's always another chance to get another console.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

I have a series X

I have a Switch

Unless there are some must-play games you cannot wait for on PS5, I honestly wouldn't get one. You're set for the rest of the generation with what you currently own. Might be worth it to splurge in a PS5 Pro if your PC really starts struggling in a few years but for now, I'd say it's a waste of money.

Still, it's a small percentage of a bonus. So ask yourself if the few PS5 exclusives at the moment are worth it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I received my bonus yesterday and my raise. the price of a PS5 is a small percentage of my bonus. My wife was nonplussed about it but in the end does not care.

What say you Gaf? Is it time for me to get the Spiderman Bundle PS5?
Yes, I did it a year ago and it's worth it... but get the Original version

If you like Sony 1st parties and want to play them day one then it's a def buy. Doubly so if you're interested in the Final Fantasy franchise as you're guaranteed to get the latest entries in the series day 1 on PS5 (FFVII Rebirth launches in 76 days, btw!).

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why would you buy a handheld instead of a couch gaming console with 2x the specs?

Different people like different things. Here are some of the reasons why I would pick a Steam Deck OLED over a console:

• Portability. Battery life. Cool and quiet. Amazing screen out of the box.
  • Great controls get separate mention. Trackpads in the new OLED are amazing and the fact that I can play my favorite classic turn based RPG games like Fallout 1 or 2 on it is making me happy. Build in back buttons are a must, I can't play on a controller without at least 2 and Deck has 4.
  • Emulation heaven. Can your PS5 natively play every game from PS1, PS2, PSP and even some from PS3 (like Riiiiiiidge Racer!)? Steam Deck can emulate almost everything, including Nintendo Switch.
  • Unbeatable PC catalogue.
  • Amazing in-house streaming with Sunshine thanks to Wi-Fi 6. Works like a charm. I'm pretty sure streaming from consoles gives similar experience.
  • It's quite powerful, portable PC. Connect it do a dock and you have a full PC experience. Linux or Windows, whatever you like.
  • With dock you can also easily connected it to TV for that Switch-like experience. It even supports wake from Bluetooth controller now. Not something that I personally do often as my PC is already connected to 65'' LG OLED.

Weird Steam Deck shilling in here.

You're welcome. It's the best gaming device on a market. Take it from someone who've tried every current-gen console (I've sold all my consoles recently as they were collecting dust) and has a PC with 4090 / 7800X3D combo.

reinking

Gold Member
Different people like different things. Here are some of the reasons why I would pick a Steam Deck OLED over a console:

• Great controls get separate mention. Trackpads in the new OLED are amazing and the fact that I can play my favorite classic turn based RPG games like Fallout 1 or 2 on it is making me happy. Build in back buttons are a must, I can't play on a controller without at least 2 and Deck has 4.
  • Emulation heaven. Can your PS5 natively play every game from PS1, PS2, PSP and even some from PS3 (like Riiiiiiidge Racer!)? Steam Deck can emulate almost everything, including Nintendo Switch.
  • Amazing in-house streaming with Sunshine thanks to Wi-Fi 6. Works like a charm. I'm pretty sure streaming from consoles gives similar experience.
  • It's quite powerful, portable PC. Connect it do a dock and you have a full PC experience. Linux or Windows, whatever you like.
  • With dock you can also easily connected it to TV for that Switch-like experience. It even supports wake from Bluetooth controller now. Not something that I personally do often as my PC is already connected to 65'' LG OLED.

You're welcome. It's the best gaming device on a market. Take it from someone who've tried every current-gen console (I've sold all my consoles recently as they were collecting dust) and has a PC with 4090 / 7800X3D combo.
Nobody is arguing that the Deck is not a good system for what it does. The point is it is unrelated to OP's question. He wasn't asking about PC or portable.

OP, if you are going to play it, it is absolutely worth it. If it is going to sit on the shelf collecting dust as a piece of art, probably not.

Interfectum

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8df7d446-f7ed-4d13-bbd5-3cabb4d87ffb_700x470.jpeg

I mean, there are like two games that he can't already play on PS4 or PS3 🤷‍♂️

Most of the good output is cross-gen.
Demon's Souls, Returnal, and Astro were 3 of the defining games for me so far this gen. Ratchet was also awesome. It's not like there's going to be less PS5 exclusives going forward . . . he's making an investment for the future.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nobody is arguing that the Deck is not a good system for what it does. The point is it is unrelated to OP's question. He wasn't asking about PC or portable.

OP, if you are going to play it, it is absolutely worth it. If it is going to sit on the shelf collecting dust as a piece of art, probably not.

Notice that I was replying to another user, not the OP. My answer to OP was simple: no, buy a Steam Deck instead.

Top Bottom