• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I Buy a PS5?

SHould I buy the PS5?

• YES

Votes: 156 69.6%
  • NO

Votes: 68 30.4%

• Total voters

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This forum being very pro Sony, I expect you'll get an overwhelmingly positive response to the question, but I'll brave the crying and laughing emojis and tell you my experience. I've got Series X, Switch & PS5. I play Xbox most days, Switch a couple of times a Week and PS5 less. I got the PS5 for the exclusives and have been working my way through Spiderman & Miles Morales, Days Gone and have Demon's Souls, Gow, Horizon, Ratchet queued up. I must admit to expecting something really different, given the way people talk about PlayStation but personally I think Series X is a better machine in use, mainly due to quick resume - and the exclusives haven't changed the world for me.

So, take that as you will. If you've got another current system/PC, I wouldn't expect to be wowed in the way you might expect based on comments on here, but your mileage may vary.

S0ULZB0URNE

Compromising with your spouse is a tricky one at first which you learn to refine over time. You'll experience this one day when you decide to stop system warring on a video game forum full time
Sounds like a weak and ignorant statement to me.
You have no idea about me and my experiences.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

This forum being very pro Sony, I expect you'll get an overwhelmingly positive response to the question, but I'll brave the crying and laughing emojis and tell you my experience. I've got Series X, Switch & PS5. I play Xbox most days, Switch a couple of times a Week and PS5 less. I got the PS5 for the exclusives and have been working my way through Spiderman & Miles Morales, Days Gone and have Demon's Souls, Gow, Horizon, Ratchet queued up. I must admit to expecting something really different, given the way people talk about PlayStation but personally I think Series X is a better machine in use, mainly due to quick resume - and the exclusives haven't changed the world for me.

So, take that as you will. If you've got another current system/PC, I wouldn't expect to be wowed in the way you might expect based on comments on here, but your mileage may vary.
Every popular gaming forum is pro Sony and Nintendo.
Non trending brands don't fair well.

WitchHunter

Banned
I received my bonus yesterday and my raise. the price of a PS5 is a small percentage of my bonus. My wife was nonplussed about it but in the end does not care.

What say you Gaf? Is it time for me to get the Spiderman Bundle PS5?
First, clean the kitchen, then you are allowed to buy it.

Arcane0ne

do it jewish GIF

DavidGzz

Waited too long. May as well wait for the Pro at this point to play GTA 6 in all it's glory. Get the Steam Deck OLED while you wait. It's amazing.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

It's the best console of this gen (I put the Switch out of this, it's different), but I voted no for you. I mean if you wanted it you wouldn't need opinions of people you don't know on an Internet forum.

Jesb

I don’t have either but to me steam deck has more value. Especially since it’s a handheld and I don’t always have access to my living room.

Pimpbaa

I don’t have either but to me steam deck has more value. Especially since it’s a handheld and I don’t always have access to my living room.

Playing some of the great games this generation on some small ass screen should be a crime (especially on the non hdr lcd screen on the old steam deck). I don’t even use my Switch in portable mode. The least immersive way to play. And don’t get me started on the ps portal. Fucking playing ps5 games on a 1080p lcd with no hdr. Wait what was this topic about again, oh yeah the OP should buy a PS5!

Quasicat

My gaming PC is pretty decent Handled BG3 just fine.

I have a series X

I have a Switch

I have a PS4 played GOW2 on it.
This is what I have and rarely played my PS5 since I have kids and the TV is not always available. If you’re in the same boat and are limited with your big screen, a Steam Deck is amazing and you can play quite a bit of the PlayStation exclusives.

AJUMP23

This is what I have and rarely played my PS5 since I have kids and the TV is not always available. If you’re in the same boat and are limited with your big screen, a Steam Deck is amazing and you can play quite a bit of the PlayStation exclusives.

I have a TV that is just for me. But I am limited by family more than screen availability.

Shifty1897

The PS5 is just a PS4 Pro with better performance and load times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you've waited this long though, the Pro is less than a year away, if all the rumors are true (I believe it). My guess is that if 60 fps is important to you, a Pro will be a must in the latter half of this generation.

cormack12

Gold Member
What a stupid question. Buy two. One for show, and one to use.

I have each system because I have fomo problems. PS5 has been a little dry, but if you're playing catchup theres a lot of great games and 3rd parties run well.

I have got more mileage out of the XSX this gen honestly. But that's a combination of gamepass and a few real friends pushing me to play more. Its only worth it if you take out gamepass which would be an extra £100+ which I'm guessing you won't wanna do.

NT80

No, wait and see if the PS5 pro gives enough of a performance boost over your PC. With a decent enough PC it's not worth it right now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
From someone who's bought and sold a PS5. Get a Steam Deck.
L ass take.
Steam deck is overrated and it's a hassle.
Unless you are one of them miserable work colleagues who are not allowed to have a pc and must play steam deck in their garage.

AJUMP23

Thanks for all the input. Lots of great thoughts. I ended up getting another bonus with a few more thousand and decided to buy the PS5 after getting it. I ordered the slim with Spider-Man packed in for $500.

I look forward to playing it and FF7 part 2. I am sure something else will come along too.

Zathalus

Thanks for all the input. Lots of great thoughts. I ended up getting another bonus with a few more thousand and decided to buy the PS5 after getting it. I ordered the slim with Spider-Man packed in for $500.

I look forward to playing it and FF7 part 2. I am sure something else will come along too.
Enjoy, it's a great console.

cireza

FF7 part 2
I have no love for FF VII but part 2 checks all the boxes of a great FF game it seems. It's colorful, the world is a bit open, it looks like there is a good amount of content. The wait is going to be long I fear, as I have an Xbox and don't want to stack consoles...

DrFigs

I like my ps5. But if you're on the fence about it, i would say not to.
edit: well congrats on the ps5

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I’m thinking about getting a Super Nintendo. I have never had one. I borrowed one for a while but I would like to own one. And get a few of the great games on it.

sono

You don't list the alternative ways you might spend the money. You are asking on a gaming forum if you you should buy a current gen console. So of course you should.

AJUMP23

You don't list the alternative ways you might spend the money. You are asking on a gaming forum if you you should buy a current gen console. So of course you should.
The other way would be just leave it in my savings account.

I am about to put a bunch in high yield savings.

coffinbirth

I’m thinking about getting a Super Nintendo. I have never had one. I borrowed one for a while but I would like to own one. And get a few of the great games on it.
Do you have a CRT or a way of attaching it to your current tv? That's the real hangup in using vintage hardware these days, aside from the absurd prices for the games. If emuation via pc, FPGA, or looking at 3rd party consoles with HDMI don't sound like great solutions for you, the Mini SNES isn't a terrible option. You can mod it and add in whatever games you want if you so desired. My only gripe with it is the controller cords are short. Personally. I emulate via PC and Steam Deck. My vintage consoles and games just sit on a shelf, for going on years now. Haven't looked back. For SNES I use the official NSO SNES wireless pads. Spendy, but worth it.

If you're in it just for the pure nostalgia/having what you never owned feels, I get it...but believe me when I say, it's a slippery slope for the wallet.

What games are we talking about here, out of curiosity?

AJUMP23

Do you have a CRT or a way of attaching it to your current tv? That's the real hangup in using vintage hardware these days, aside from the absurd prices for the games. If emuation via pc, FPGA, or looking at 3rd party consoles with HDMI don't sound like great solutions for you, the Mini SNES isn't a terrible option. You can mod it and add in whatever games you want if you so desired. My only gripe with it is the controller cords are short. Personally. I emulate via PC and Steam Deck. My vintage consoles and games just sit on a shelf, for going on years now. Haven't looked back. For SNES I use the official NSO SNES wireless pads. Spendy, but worth it.

If you're in it just for the pure nostalgia/having what you never owned feels, I get it...but believe me when I say, it's a slippery slope for the wallet.

What games are we talking about here, out of curiosity?
I have an older tv For such things.

S0ULZB0URNE

Welcome to the current gen.

Personally, I think the ps5 is a really nice piece of kit and I have on for exclusives, and I think it's worth it.

GT7, TLOU (and 2), FF7, Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Spider Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, and others, all on PlayStation and will take years to come pc, if they come at all.

I say get one, if you have a pc.

If not, maybe use the money towards getting a gaming pc as it is the best way to play games (in my humble opinion).

Last edited:

Fabieter

Because IMO it feels more interesting and innovative than a PS5. Also no subscription model to play online. For me, PS5 is a weak console according to content I enjoy. I still like it, but I like the Deck better at the moment.

I see steamdeck as an answer to the switch. More and more people played their indie games on the go and valve lost money. The deck is awesome but I would hardly call it innovation.

Top Bottom