• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I Buy a PS5?

SHould I buy the PS5?

• YES

Votes: 156 69.6%
  • NO

Votes: 68 30.4%

• Total voters

Majormaxxx

I received my bonus yesterday and my raise. the price of a PS5 is a small percentage of my bonus. My wife was nonplussed about it but in the end does not care.

What say you Gaf? Is it time for me to get the Spiderman Bundle PS5?
Bro, your wife Is NOT not caring.

Haven't you learned to speak womanese yet?

"Doesn't care" means "don't you dare."

Anyways, the Ps5 is a SWEET machine. Only downside - it's huge.

saintjules

I received my bonus yesterday and my raise. the price of a PS5 is a small percentage of my bonus. My wife was nonplussed about it but in the end does not care.

Answered your own question. But yes, absolutely jump in!

Little Mac

Bought the Spider-man Slim bundle and Im enjoying it. Platinum’d Astro’s Playroom and playing through Ratchet and Clank now. Also got Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal, FF7 Intergrade, and all three Spider-man games cheap.

I’m not in love with the actual console. It feels significantly less premium than the Series X. The console will slide around when you press the power or eject button and the small plastic stands don’t seem to provide a stiff support and will wobble if you gently push the console laterally. I might have a manufacture defect. Not sure. The controller is really cool though and I’ve gotten used to it a lot quicker than I thought I would. I think the speaker on the controller is a little overkill and obnoxious though.

If you’re thinking about buying one, make sure you’re buying it for the exclusives, timed or otherwise.

Does anyone else here with a Slim have these issues? I have until Jan 1st to return and purchase a new one but I don’t want to lose my saves. Maybe I can post a video here.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Buy a DE10-Nano
Understand Captain America GIF

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Now I’m looking into a Quest 3, because of my suggestion to you. Huge plus that it’s backwards compatible with Quest 2 software.

Kindela

Banned
My gaming PC is pretty decent Handled BG3 just fine.

I have a series X

I have a Switch

I have a PS4 played GOW2 on it.
Yep, definitely buy either a PS5 or a Steam Deck, you don't have enough stuff to play games on already. One more ought to do it.

NT80

Since you already have a decent gaming PC no. I also have a decent PC and am not motivated to by a console this gen for the first time ever. Exclusives are what really sold the different systems to me and those have sunk dramatically this gen. I remember having a PS3 and eventually a 360 and in the gen before that I ended up with a DC, PS2, GC and Xbox.

LordOfChaos

Do it

I have a Steam Deck too, it's good, but it's not a premium gaming experience. I mean yeah yeah PC crew as premium as consoles can be.

Toots

Gold Member
Buy a PS5, and when you get your bonus next year buy me a PS5 pro as a thank you for the great advice i just gave you :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Ar¢tos

It seems you want one, and if you don't get it, the desire to have one will be constantly gnawing slowly in the background. So just go ahead and buy it!

Elysium44

Banned
I have never been able to understand men who need permission from a woman to spend their own money on themselves. Why would any man willingly submit to that level of control.

(I voted no. You might upset your wife otherwise.)

Last edited:

K' Dash

Demon's Souls, Returnal, and Astro were 3 of the defining games for me so far this gen. Ratchet was also awesome. It's not like there's going to be less PS5 exclusives going forward . . . he's making an investment in the future.

DS is a PS3 game, Returnal... a Roguelike (Not a fan but to each their own) and a mediocre platformer to demo haptics... That ratchet game is the worst of the bunch, I got burned by that and the mind numbingly boring Forbidden West.

Output this gen has not been the best.

Since I bought mine the game I enjoyed the most was Miles Morales and that got their PS4 version. Spidey 2 is good but not as good as the first one, same for Ragnarok, 2018 was better.

I would get the Niche-Man 2 Slim bundle now.

If you want the Pro next year, I’m pretty sure stores like GameStop (if they are still running next year) will have sweet trade-in deals towards the Pro.

Crayon

I wouldn't say it's essential like a PS2 or 4, but it is becoming ubiquitous.

At this point in the game, I would recommend it to people who still play their ps4. It's a wholesale upgrade and you would probably get a lot of use out of it.

damidu

Because IMO it feels more interesting and innovative than a PS5. Also no subscription model to play online. For me, PS5 is a weak console according to content I enjoy. I still like it, but I like the Deck better at the moment.
like what ? its a supposedly portable handheld thats big as your arm, (so not really portable)
can only use at home realistically. if ps5 is weak for the content you enjoy, what are you enjoying on steamdeck. its magnitudes weaker.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned

at this point you can wait for the Pro

Denton

If I wanted to get a console at this point, I would wait for PS5 Pro.

But given my experience with buying PS4 Pro, which I used exactly for about 6 months and then used as a dust catcher for 6 years, I am not gonna do that again.

Kurotri

Gonna go with a no here, OP. Wait it out a little longer and get yourself a Pro. There'll be more games you can play at that point with better performance, like Wolverine. And I imagine Ghost of Tsushima 2 wouldn't be that far away at that point either.

DS is a PS3 game, Returnal... a Roguelike (Not a fan but to each their own) and a mediocre platformer to demo haptics... That ratchet game is the worst of the bunch, I got burned by that and the mind numbingly boring Forbidden West.

Output this gen has not been the best.

Since I bought mine the game I enjoyed the most was Miles Morales and that got their PS4 version. Spidey 2 is good but not as good as the first one, same for Ragnarok, 2018 was better.
Good for you? I still think Returnal and DS remake are the two best titles this gen.

Different people like different things. Here are some of the reasons why I would pick a Steam Deck OLED over a console:

• Portability. Battery life. Cool and quiet. Amazing screen out of the box.
  • Great controls get separate mention. Trackpads in the new OLED are amazing and the fact that I can play my favorite classic turn based RPG games like Fallout 1 or 2 on it is making me happy. Build in back buttons are a must, I can't play on a controller without at least 2 and Deck has 4.
  • Emulation heaven. Can your PS5 natively play every game from PS1, PS2, PSP and even some from PS3 (like Riiiiiiidge Racer!)? Steam Deck can emulate almost everything, including Nintendo Switch.
  • Unbeatable PC catalogue.
  • Amazing in-house streaming with Sunshine thanks to Wi-Fi 6. Works like a charm. I'm pretty sure streaming from consoles gives similar experience.
  • It's quite powerful, portable PC. Connect it do a dock and you have a full PC experience. Linux or Windows, whatever you like.
  • With dock you can also easily connected it to TV for that Switch-like experience. It even supports wake from Bluetooth controller now. Not something that I personally do often as my PC is already connected to 65'' LG OLED.

You're welcome. It's the best gaming device on a market. Take it from someone who've tried every current-gen console (I've sold all my consoles recently as they were collecting dust) and has a PC with 4090 / 7800X3D combo.
But it's useless if you're not into handheld gaming and already have a PC? Weird post.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
You have a PS4 already? No the PS5 is a dust collecting 4k blu ray player that plays a jank version of demon souls not worth it

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But it's useless if you're not into handheld gaming and already have a PC? Weird post.

Wrong. It's the best companion to a PC that you can have. I want to play Forza? I go PC. I want to play The Art of Rally? I go Steam Deck.

What's weird is this thread. OP, buy if you want it, don't buy it if you don't. It's a console. It's cheap. We're not talking land or property ffs.

Top Bottom